Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thinking about trying to write up a character build3r for Wrath and Glory, but I'm not sure what programming language to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Thinking about trying to write up a character build3r for Wrath and Glory, but I'm not sure what programming language to use.

Haskell

susan
Jan 14, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Could probably do an easy Excel macro for the sheets, they're really not that complicated.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think Eldar lost the immortality juju only with Slaanesh, as they were happily murderfucking each other before it was born.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JcDent posted:

I think Eldar lost the immortality juju only with Slaanesh, as they were happily murderfucking each other before it was born.

Yeah, instead of reincarnation their souls get eaten by Slaanesh. Or reach nirvana. The implication of that is no more Eldar can be born, since there are no more Eldar souls to put in them. Unless they're able to make new souls like those drat dirty humans.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dark Eldar are mentioned as having babies, but only super high ranking ones get that far. If you're Trueborn (rather than grown in a vat) then you're basically royalty because if your mother brought you to term then she must be incredible, or at least attached to someone incredible, to have not been assassinated while pregnant.

I vaguely remember something about regular Eldar raising children communally? Or they have a special Parent Caste/Aspect sorta thing where children get raised by people that have that as their calling, like some people are Fire Dragons etc. The problem is Eldar don't mate often, take a long time to have a baby, choose their career (Aspect) over having kids and more and more Eldar are getting murdered and coming back as soul stones and wraithguard/lords can't gently caress.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What about exodites?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Dark Eldar are mentioned as having babies, but only super high ranking ones get that far. If you're Trueborn (rather than grown in a vat)

Something else that has been mentioned is it takes a few days for Slaanesh to eat your soul as a dark eldar and that if you can get a piece of your body back to the flesh-smiths in Cammoragh, then you can be cloned and your soul zips into the clone instead of being devoured.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Keeping a clone ready is a common insurance policy for well-to-do deldar, just don't fall behind on your payments to the Haemonculi.

Exodites all live under the protection of their powerful world-souls, which are like huge infinity circuits. If they leave their world, they need a soulstone like any eldar.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Obviously, what we need to do is squish Slasnesh like in fantasy and then you'll be swimming in elf souls that burst from it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Obviously, what we need to do is squish Slasnesh like in fantasy and then you'll be swimming in elf souls that burst from it.

I really like the art of Imprisoned Slannesh

The Eye of Terror is a really nice touch.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Looks like the Hellraiser realm of Leviathan by way of Undying's Oneiros. Cool.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, I guess it's appropriate to use a wall of dildos to imprison Slaanesh.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Buttplugopolis.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Are we sure that that's not one of the Eldrazi but with a Warhammer Community watermark slapped onto it?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My money's on Theros diety or a crossover with Marvel's Eternity

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mulva posted:

Nah, they had no idea who he was the first time he kicked the poo poo out of them but he still did it. It's possible he gets some boost because they are adding their psychic juju to him at this point [As again, he's old as hell but still one of the toughest non-Space Marines walking. Also there might be some Tzeentch tomfoolery, but really it could just be that rear end in a top hat be non-committally spooky in the backround ], but he was perfectly capable of eating their lunch before they knew who he was. He's just better at killing than them.

Ghaz had to get his start somewhere before becoming as renown as he is, and the same is true for Yarrick. Both were right good at killing well before they got to their respective stations. Once they kicked in a few of the boyz' teef though, all the rest of the boyz started to believe that they were best and so it came to be.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Werix posted:

Something else that has been mentioned is it takes a few days for Slaanesh to eat your soul as a dark eldar and that if you can get a piece of your body back to the flesh-smiths in Cammoragh, then you can be cloned and your soul zips into the clone instead of being devoured.

Yeah! Someone brings back a finger and it gets put in a cage and then people are tortured nearby to nourish it and regrow it and then you get to "ravening ghoul" phase so if you get let out you'll murder a bunch of people, but kept locked up as this weird skinless monster for a bit with a dash more pain and you're back to your old self.

Don't miss your payment or mess with the homunculi cos thats a good way to come back as a weird zombie grotesque slave dipshit for eternity.

I liked the note about the guy that was kicked out of a homunculi cult so he gave them a bird that makes anyone who hears its song insane. Everyone knew it did this, but to turn the gift down would be rude and they thought they could handle it. They couldn't and went to a khorne world in the warp and instantly got murdered, but they're immortal super regen guys so they come back and get killed again. The bad part of this story for them isn't that they die over and over again for eternity, its that Khorne has no imagination so they die in the same way over and over and there is nothing worse than boredom for a Dark Eldar.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I really like the art of Imprisoned Slannesh

The Eye of Terror is a really nice touch.

Someone please include the Horned Rat doing crotch chops off in the corner tia.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah! Someone brings back a finger and it gets put in a cage and then people are tortured nearby to nourish it and regrow it and then you get to "ravening ghoul" phase so if you get let out you'll murder a bunch of people, but kept locked up as this weird skinless monster for a bit with a dash more pain and you're back to your old self.

Don't miss your payment or mess with the homunculi cos thats a good way to come back as a weird zombie grotesque slave dipshit for eternity.

I liked the note about the guy that was kicked out of a homunculi cult so he gave them a bird that makes anyone who hears its song insane. Everyone knew it did this, but to turn the gift down would be rude and they thought they could handle it. They couldn't and went to a khorne world in the warp and instantly got murdered, but they're immortal super regen guys so they come back and get killed again. The bad part of this story for them isn't that they die over and over again for eternity, its that Khorne has no imagination so they die in the same way over and over and there is nothing worse than boredom for a Dark Eldar.

Khorne has a very utilitarian approach to violence.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I keep making my way through the Wrath and Glory rules. Got past the combat section which makes sense, but I think I'm going to have to just see it in action a bit to fully understand, especially the difference between wounds, shock, and soak. I mean, I understand wounds and shock are both types of injury and soak lets you negate, I just mean I'm not used to the actual rule system yet, so when they are talking about the initiative, soak, resolve, and defense stats, they kind of mean nothing to me, even though I read through character creation.

I have now gone on to the adventuring section of the book, and so far it has been mostly a "meh" section. They put in a warp travel section, because of course they do, but stress that you should only use it when you think "warp fuckery during travel" would be a cool story hook. They also have rules for "Threatening tasks" which are supposed to essentially be encounters revolving around passing multiple tests in a short time frame. They give examples of stopping a ritual, where you might need to make tests to open the door, thin out the cultists, use psyker stuff to disrupt the ritual, and then free the sacrifice. It all seems a little too complex.

What they did spend a few pages on was doing investigations, and put it in nice simple terms and explain basically how to plan out an investigation. What they stressed multiple times was making sure there were always hints leading to the next clue, and clues should be actual items the group finds. That the investigation should be able to go on no matter what. I can't remember how many games I played, be it Dark Heresy or even something else, where we didn't find the right clue the GM wanted us to find and the game languished until we figured it out just the way the GM wanted.

I have to finish the influence section, and then its onto wargear. Hopefully wargear will better explain what role armor plays in the game stats, as the combat section wasn't clear if it increases defense, resilience, or both.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That investigation system was a breath of fresh air, absolutely.

Armor adds to Resilience. If memory serves, the Resilience section on the character sheet should have a part where you note the amount of Resilience that comes from Armor. This is super important because weapon AP reduces armor on everything but invulnerable armor.

Speaking of invuln armor, holy poo poo does the Warlock get some sweet starting gear. Rune armor is pretty good but witchblades are rock loving solid since they basically don’t care what an enemy’s Resilience is.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Gonna be running my first W&G game this Friday, don't suppose anyone's cobbled together a basic GM Screen/Cheat Sheet printouts for playing?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tell us how it goes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Werix posted:

What they did spend a few pages on was doing investigations, and put it in nice simple terms and explain basically how to plan out an investigation. What they stressed multiple times was making sure there were always hints leading to the next clue, and clues should be actual items the group finds. That the investigation should be able to go on no matter what. I can't remember how many games I played, be it Dark Heresy or even something else, where we didn't find the right clue the GM wanted us to find and the game languished until we figured it out just the way the GM wanted.

This owns and is something I complained about constantly in Dark Heresy 2 that they should have put in and clearly broken out.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

kingcom posted:

This owns and is something I complained about constantly in Dark Heresy 2 that they should have put in and clearly broken out.

The example that they give in the book is about a planetary governor being killed in the eve of his coronation ceremony and there are no false leads, but the evidence you find is an inquistor's seal near the body, a bloody knife in the servant's quarters, and a note in the Inquisitor's ship about suspicions of a heretical cult. It says the solution is that the evidence points to a servant using tunnels to steal the inquisitor's seal to gain access to the governor to kill him, though I think you could come up with a wrong answer from the clues, that the Inquisitor killed him and is blaming a servant. That seems fun to me, give the players the clues, and see if they figure it out.

Yeah, the vibe I get from the game so far is basically, "this poo poo is an action movie, make sure it is always fun." That's why you don't keep track of ammo. That's why they spend a page on "failing forward" where their two rules are 1. Failing a test should not bring the action to a halt and 2. Failure should have interesting consequences.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

susan posted:

Gonna be running my first W&G game this Friday, don't suppose anyone's cobbled together a basic GM Screen/Cheat Sheet printouts for playing?

I’m going to put one together later this week. Aside from a core mechanics overview and a combat section (initiative, combat roll process, combat effects, combat actions) and the crit/threatening task chart, what do you think should be on it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Werix posted:

Yeah, the vibe I get from the game so far is basically, "this poo poo is an action movie, make sure it is always fun." That's why you don't keep track of ammo. That's why they spend a page on "failing forward" where their two rules are 1. Failing a test should not bring the action to a halt and 2. Failure should have interesting consequences.

And when things get boring, two cultists with autoguns kick in the door.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Friend of mine from a discord just roped me into a Dark Herasy game. I'm excited.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Friend of mine from a discord just roped me into a Dark Herasy game. I'm excited.

First or second edition?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I’m going to put one together later this week. Aside from a core mechanics overview and a combat section (initiative, combat roll process, combat effects, combat actions) and the crit/threatening task chart, what do you think should be on it?

I made a quick one; pretty much just copied all the Tables and a couple sidebars (like Deny the Witch) for the combat and psychic section, and a couple from the vehicle section. Should do the trick :) .

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Werix posted:

The example that they give in the book is about a planetary governor being killed in the eve of his coronation ceremony and there are no false leads, but the evidence you find is an inquistor's seal near the body, a bloody knife in the servant's quarters, and a note in the Inquisitor's ship about suspicions of a heretical cult. It says the solution is that the evidence points to a servant using tunnels to steal the inquisitor's seal to gain access to the governor to kill him, though I think you could come up with a wrong answer from the clues, that the Inquisitor killed him and is blaming a servant. That seems fun to me, give the players the clues, and see if they figure it out.

If he hadn’t been coronated yet how could he be planetary governor?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Schadenboner posted:

If he hadn’t been coronated yet how could he be planetary governor?

Soon to be governor. I won't type this stuff in the morning before coffee has been consumed then.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Werix posted:

First or second edition?

Second Edition. I spent all night yesterday putting together a character. Tonight were doing a session 0 to discuss the game and characters.

Edit: Actually I have a couple of questions.

1: I don't quite get how picking starting equipment works. So if my Influence is 25, I get to pick two more things ontop of my starting gear from my background/class? Oh, and am I allowed to remove a piece of starting gear I get for free at creation if I picked something better?

2:I took the Warrior for my Role, so I took Iron Jaw as my starting Trait. I don't meet the 40 Toughness requirement for is, am I still allowed to pick it as a starting trait?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 5, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I keep getting the impression that W&G wants to be a 10 page "lite" system that fills hundreds of pages.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

I keep getting the impression that W&G wants to be a 10 page "lite" system that fills hundreds of pages.

...formatting seems that way.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Second Edition. I spent all night yesterday putting together a character. Tonight were doing a session 0 to discuss the game and characters.

Edit: Actually I have a couple of questions.

1: I don't quite get how picking starting equipment works. So if my Influence is 25, I get to pick two more things ontop of my starting gear from my background/class? Oh, and am I allowed to remove a piece of starting gear I get for free at creation if I picked something better?

2:I took the Warrior for my Role, so I took Iron Jaw as my starting Trait. I don't meet the 40 Toughness requirement for is, am I still allowed to pick it as a starting trait?

1. Yes, you get to pick two acquisitions with an availability of scarce (=10) or better. You need to remove starting gear at all, the acquisitions are in addition to your listed starting gear.

2. I've always played that you can take starting talents even if you don't meet the prerequisites, but taking a quick look at the rules this morning I can't find anything that specifically says that, so check with your GM on his or her ruling I guess.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

moths posted:

I kinda get the opposite impression. It feels like a deep, crunchy system... or rather, it feels like the first five pages for every chapter of a crunchy system. I know why they did it, but slamming the whole loving 40k into a single rule book just made everything so thin and light for now. They need a dedicated Tier 1, 2, Eldar, Rogue Trader, etc book to really dive into stuff and explore, not just scratch the surface.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Oh, I'm sure we'll be getting those books to come. Pre-orders already received pdfs for ogryn and Ratlings which are to come in a future book, so expect at least a guard book on the horizon.

But I suspect we'll get an ork book, an eldar book, a space marine book, at the bare minimum in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

We’re getting an Eldar book for sure, it’s the first campaign book.