Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Don't read Time Enough For Love. Just don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Isn’t there a special award for serving that far north? I’d be down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mattis/Spicey is like that Dan Akroyd/Phil Hartman relationship in Sgt Bilko.

Greenland.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didnt heinleins political views basically follow those of his pussy supply

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america interesting read

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Things tends to suck right now, but every now and then:

https://twitter.com/jessemermell/status/1037159771416276992

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

How could you miss this gem right below it?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-nikes-kaepernick-deal-is-what-this-country-is-all-about posted:

In a Tuesday interview, the president said that he disagreed with the company's “endorsement” of Kaepernick, saying that “wouldn’t have done it.” But he also noted that Nike—a tenant of his that pays “a lot of rent,” he said—was doing something emblematic of freedom in the United States. “In another way, it is what this country is all about, that you have certain freedoms to do things that other people think you shouldn’t do, but I personally am on a different side of it,” he said.

facialimpediment posted:

Side note: Trump basically told the Daily Caller that he hasn't done a Nike Tweet because Nike paid a lot of rent in Trump Tower.

Trump also didn't realize that Nike has long since moved out of Trump Tower :laugh:

Carry on!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hey now, Greenland is proud Denmark clay.

Was a Tom Clancy reference.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

looking further it looks like a sensationalists work tho

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tollymain posted:

didnt heinleins political views basically follow those of his pussy supply

Him and every other single dude at the bar.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/1037011003593113605

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=12119555&ref=twitter

quote:

When Miller arrived he was excited to tell O'Neill he'd managed to store two components of oxy-fuel, oxygen and acetylene, into one LPG bottle.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Honestly, I don't know anything about the Handmaid's Tale other then it exists and I would have had no idea what they were protesting specifically. I still have enough brain cells left to figure out context clues though, unlike most people who still identify publicly as republicans. I'm also wildly out of touch with cultural trends though.

The tv series is legit loving good. Pushes emotions and basically portrays a weird evangelical future.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress gently caress gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

who poses in front of a galant

who gets excited about welding an exhaust manifold onto whatever a god drat "Holden Kingswood" is

is this from an episode of New Zealand Trailer Park Boys?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fallom posted:

who gets excited about welding an exhaust manifold onto whatever a god drat "Holden Kingswood" is

is this from an episode of New Zealand Trailer Park Boys?

It was in Massey so, pretty much yes

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That oval office IED'd himself.

Fallom posted:

Ted Bullpit gonna gently caress you up, mate

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
As little as it would surprise me that a member of the current administration would display an affection for the white supremacy move on television, that whole SECRET SYMBOL drama got little more than a rolling of the eyes to me, and I used to get paid to identify Nazi symbols.

This video seems to make it even more clear that she gets a message on her phone, smirks, looks at the camera, makes that dumb ring sign and keeps looking around ominously like she knows she's being watched while hiding a smile.

https://twitter.com/ManInTheHoody/status/1037124624557830144

I mean, I understand people have racism-fatigue or something under this administration, but to shoot immediately for WHITE SUPREMACY instead of some juvenile joke seems like grasping at straws.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Honestly the hand sign is most likely someone sent her a dm over twitter saying hey the camera has you visible, you know what would trigger the gently caress out of people? do the ok sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io&t=7s

And predictably the internet outrage machine ate it the gently caress up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sitting here across the pond, does it even matter if she made a white supremacy sign or not? She works for Trump, who did all kinds of things that helped the alt-right and white supremacists a thousand times more than this woman making some hand sign ever could.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

The second guy doesn't mention whether he told him not to do it, which makes me think he didn't. And drat the dude that died had just started teaching his daughter to drive. Poor stupid bastard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:downs:I wonder, is there a reason you never see oxygen and acetylene bottled in the same bottle?

like why in the gently caress would you own an oxyacetylene torch and not know what happens to them when they mix?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

orange juche posted:

Honestly the hand sign is most likely someone sent her a dm over twitter saying hey the camera has you visible, you know what would trigger the gently caress out of people? do the ok sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io&t=7s

And predictably the internet outrage machine ate it the gently caress up.

You looked, she gets to punch you.

Two for flinching, pussy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Back in my day all that hand signal meant was to call you an rear end in a top hat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

:downs:I wonder, is there a reason you never see oxygen and acetylene bottled in the same bottle?

like why in the gently caress would you own an oxyacetylene torch and not know what happens to them when they mix?

Well you mix them at the torch end, why not mix them in the bottle? A before O or up you go, never heard that, is that a weird sex thing kids do these days? :downs:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Berlin, 1945:
Oberleutnant look! I have found a way to store zee T-Stoff and zee C-Stoff in one tank!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sometimes the Darwin Awards are really cruel :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I can't even google a picture of this "white supremacist hand gesture" and D&D still seems to be 100% convinced that's what it was and is melting down over it.

Yes, I know, water wet, etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can't even google a picture of this "white supremacist hand gesture" and D&D still seems to be 100% convinced that's what it was and is melting down over it.

Yes you can.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Why does New Zealand appear to call meth 'P' ?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Syncopated posted:

I think for pseudoephedrine?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Syncopated posted:

I guess it's also called 'pure,' so a marketing thing, like ice or crystal?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Syncopated posted:

They're weird and not to be trusted.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The whole idea is that the supremacists can then say LOL U DUMB LIBS IT'S LITERALLY THE OK SYMBOL when it's obviously not.

My personal problem here is that it's a gigantic rabbit hole that doesn't need to be fell into right now. There's tons of other, worse poo poo to worry about (kids in cages, Trump statements, Stephen Miller skinning and eating girls in his basement) and plenty of other crazy poo poo going on with more concrete proof behind it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe on twitter and weird internet corners, people are eating up the hand gesture and arguing about it, but among left-wing journalists, they either are saying they don't buy it as intentional or are pointing out that symbol or not, she works for an admin that enacts racist policies anyway.

E: my take is out of date and it is now in some real news this morning; nevermind, 2018 is dumb.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 5, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mlmp08 posted:

nevermind, 2018 is dumb.

:yeah:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

I mean I read the book so I already knew that Starship Troopers was a satirical work, but there's plenty of people who looked at Starship Troopers and thought that it was a future that humans should strive towards.

Power armour would be dope tho.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

The whole idea is that the supremacists can then say LOL U DUMB LIBS IT'S LITERALLY THE OK SYMBOL when it's obviously not.

My personal problem here is that it's a gigantic rabbit hole that doesn't need to be fell into right now. There's tons of other, worse poo poo to worry about (kids in cages, Trump statements, Stephen Miller skinning and eating girls in his basement) and plenty of other crazy poo poo going on with more concrete proof behind it.

Yeah I completely agree with you here.

I said as much in D&D and proceed to have some broke brain accuse me of saying we should completely ignore it with a bonus snipe that people got upset with the Nazis coopting the swastika so we can get angry about this too. When I pointed out people were far more concerned about the Nazis whole planned ethnostate then they were about a far east peace symbol being coopted, he doubled down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Here you go bud

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/s...%3D4319%23pti16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I completely agree with you here.

I said as much in D&D and proceed to have some broke brain accuse me of saying we should completely ignore it with a bonus snipe that people got upset with the Nazis coopting the swastika so we can get angry about this too. When I pointed out people were far more concerned about the Nazis whole planned ethnostate then they were about a far east peace symbol being coopted, he doubled down.

I think you can do both right. Economic and political stuff that isnt out right racist/classist, but has racist/classist outcomes. Red lining or Voter ID law for example. Has enough cover that the ill informed can say "naw theyre not racist/classist" The alternative is just worst. You can also point out, yo this guy is dog whistling and doin nazi memes and hasnt been thrown out. Maybe that stuff can drive votes.

• Locked thread