Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just wanted to say that I love this game even when it makes me mad.
Like when I magdump my Avtomat into a dude's back from 15 meters and Miss. Every. Shot.
Or when me with my 77 full length shotgun blasts a dude in the face from mid range, barely tickling him - then gets oneshotted by his handcannon.
Inconsistent behavior is about the only thing that makes me ornery. Getting killed when I deserve it? Well and good. Dying to what -feels- like bs? Not as common but it's getting better.

Collateral Damage

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DarkDobe posted:

I just wanted to say that I love this game even when it makes me mad.
Like when I magdump my Avtomat into a dude's back from 15 meters and Miss. Every. Shot.
Or when me with my 77 full length shotgun blasts a dude in the face from mid range, barely tickling him - then gets oneshotted by his handcannon.
Inconsistent behavior is about the only thing that makes me ornery. Getting killed when I deserve it? Well and good. Dying to what -feels- like bs? Not as common but it's getting better.

Collateral Damage

Shotguns feel really inconsistent for me except for the long barrel romero. That thing is my workhorse.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Knifegrab posted:

Shotguns feel really inconsistent for me except for the long barrel romero. That thing is my workhorse.

I've literally shotgunned someone in the chest from 5 feet away with a doublebarrel sawed off and then watched him kill me. my partner was just as confused as I was how he survived.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

I've literally shotgunned someone in the chest from 5 feet away with a doublebarrel sawed off and then watched him kill me. my partner was just as confused as I was how he survived.

I shot some yokel from above raining buckshot into the top of his head once and it didn't kill him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty sure I hit a dude three times at close range with a Spectre last night and he still ran up and sabred me in the face. :(

Must have just winged him.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I find only the Rival and Rival Hand Cannon are reliable man stoppers for me. The Romero variants and especially the Spectre will not reliably kill a man unless its like point blank.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Basticle posted:

I find only the Rival and Rival Hand Cannon are reliable man stoppers for me. The Romero variants and especially the Spectre will not reliably kill a man unless its like point blank.

I totally believe that this is the case for you, but for me I have the opposite experience. gently caress Rivals, they never work for me! Its like a confetti shooter past a couple meters even with the long barrelled variant. Plus they have no melee+ variants like the romero talon (my one true love)

Its so weird, it feels like everyone has their own shotgun juju, though I think its pretty obvious by all these anecdotes that something probably is hosed.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

yeah I'm sort of thinking shotgun hitreg is just a freakin lottery atm

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The upshot to all of this is that 99% of the time I end up taking a rifle and leaving the shotgun to my partner.

I guess I never thought about it but does this game have per-pellet damage?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 4, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

The upshot to all of this is that 99% of the time I end up taking a rifle and leaving the shotgun to my partner.

I guess I never thought about it but does this game have per-pellet damage?

I would assume so? Then again ive never tried shooting a wall to see what's hitting or if they went with a 'damage cone' effect for falloff and hit registration.

If they are doing pellets and doing so 'traditionally' - ie a random scatter - it could explain why sometimes you tickle people and sometimes railgun them.

I'm going to experiment. A lot of games overlook that shotguns by design dont scatter entirely randomly but rather fire a predicable 'random-ish' spread within a pretty defined area. Ideal loads saturate a surface area evenly and don't bunch up or leave big gaps or 'donut' shapes. Getting a consistent saturation over an area at a given distance is pretty crucial. That takes a little more work to program correctly and isn't usually default scatter behavior in games.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So: I've gone and fired a sawn off at a wall and the results are quickly apparent:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DimwittedWhoppingBelugawhale
(This was brightened/contrast tweaked in Vegas - my game doesn't look like this)

As suspected, they're just using a random-scatter shotgun effect that in no way appears to weight distribution, or even try for an 'even' spread.
This would ENTIRELY explain why you sometimes do gently caress all to an enemy you have 'in your crosshairs' as it is entirely possible for most if not all of the pellets to scatter into one area where they do not hit your target.

If you watch the gif (click through for a bigger version) the last shot especially has an AWFUL spread.

This is the kind of thing that COULD be addressed, but likely would have to be pushed up to the dev's notice - which I'm going to try and do.
While this is a game, they're trying to make something realistic - and real shotguns are intended to saturate their target 'evenly' not rely on random scattered sometimes-useless spray.

There's a pretty nerdy writeup about it here:

http://www.randywakeman.com/Shotgun%20Shells_and_Shotgun_Chokes_like_Laurel_and_%20Hardy.htm

But the gist of it is that in a properly loaded weapon (which - here I see an argument that these hunters are using garbage shells in garbage guns) 70% of pellets fall into a predictable 'circular' pattern very consistently.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 5, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

So: I've gone and fired a sawn off at a wall and the results are quickly apparent:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DimwittedWhoppingBelugawhale
(This was brightened/contrast tweaked in Vegas - my game doesn't look like this)

As suspected, they're just using a random-scatter shotgun effect that in no way appears to weight distribution, or even try for an 'even' spread.
This would ENTIRELY explain why you sometimes do gently caress all to an enemy you have 'in your crosshairs' as it is entirely possible for most if not all of the pellets to scatter into one area where they do not hit your target.

If you watch the gif (click through for a bigger version) the last shot especially has an AWFUL spread.

This is the kind of thing that COULD be addressed, but likely would have to be pushed up to the dev's notice - which I'm going to try and do.
While this is a game, they're trying to make something realistic - and real shotguns are intended to saturate their target 'evenly' not rely on random scattered sometimes-useless spray.

:stare: explains so much

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

:stare: explains so much

You might be amused to know that Fortnite - wherein shotguns have long been a staple weapon above all others in close quarters - 'solved' this inconsistency issue by doing away with random scatter entirely.
Shotguns simply fire in a fixed pattern - which guarantees results IF YOUR AIM IS GOOD - and none of that 'well you just got unlucky' aspect.

If your crosshairs are on target, it is strictly a matter of distance vs damage - not distance x damage x random spread chance.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

You might be amused to know that Fortnite - wherein shotguns have long been a staple weapon above all others in close quarters - 'solved' this inconsistency issue by doing away with random scatter entirely.
Shotguns simply fire in a fixed pattern - which guarantees results IF YOUR AIM IS GOOD - and none of that 'well you just got unlucky' aspect.

If your crosshairs are on target, it is strictly a matter of distance vs damage - not distance x damage x random spread chance.

I mean thats pretty common.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

I mean thats pretty common.

A lot of vidjer games just use the random-scatter approach, though they also tend to be the single player non-competitive variety.

When you get players shooting each other, though, this kind of inconsistency gets VERY frustrating (both being shot and shooting things) - so I'm surprised that crytek is going with a random distribution approach (only acknowledging that it is the easiest to implement).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I kind of see the randomness as a balancing factor for just how good shotguns are, and as added risk/reward. You take that shot now, probably picking up the kill, or do you hold fire and close a little bit more?

Shotguns are just so loving good at knife fighting range that I have a hard time getting salty about it- but I don't use the sawn-off double barreled anymore because it is just too random. I swear it is worse than the 6 dollar handcannon.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I kind of see the randomness as a balancing factor for just how good shotguns are, and as added risk/reward. You take that shot now, probably picking up the kill, or do you hold fire and close a little bit more?

Shotguns are just so loving good at knife fighting range that I have a hard time getting salty about it- but I don't use the sawn-off double barreled anymore because it is just too random. I swear it is worse than the 6 dollar handcannon.

That's sort of the issue though.
Shotties SHOULD be good at close range, and the closer you are the better.

Having it be a dice-roll on if it just erases a guy or tickles him at those mid-ranges is the problem, especially so where it's two shotgunners duking it out.
Inconsistent behavior doesn't feel good in a game like this, and shotguns are by far the most inconsistent - the sawn offs worst of all.

I don't think it would hurt to be able to say 'at X distance I will (if my aim is good) do X damage' - rather than 'at X distance I MIGHT do damage, or do nothing, or MAYBE kill him'

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 5, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I've actually been rolling with the Romero Talon. The spread on that thing is TIGHT

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I may have to switch to that. since patch the sawed off rival has been acting just god-awful in my hands.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Talon is arguably better than the Hatchet for the improved range and reduced cost. I think the Hatchet has superior melee and a slightly faster reload, tho.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The melee range on the talon is much worse than the hatchet - and it's not a guaranteed down like the hatchet if it clips their arm. That being said for 15 dollars you can out-shotgun any other shotgun in the game.

.......but you have to hit them.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

I'm quite fond of the Winfield Talons I've been getting on my random recruits. Nice and versatile.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The melee range on the talon is much worse than the hatchet - and it's not a guaranteed down like the hatchet if it clips their arm. That being said for 15 dollars you can out-shotgun any other shotgun in the game.

.......but you have to hit them.

Romero talon is my go to. Its just so good for the price.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Basticle posted:

lol ok. you do realize the 2 teams cant see each others outlines, help each other up, share any loot or xp and trying to explain where anything is is a pain in the rear end, and accidentally killing each other is a very real possibility (ask me how I know) right? also actually getting into the same game only seems to work about 1/4 of the time

in summation

You're a n00b ,its easy as gently caress with proper voice comms to avoid this. Just play Arma3 for about a thousand hours and it'll come naturally

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Post your favorite "lol, why does this guy use in game voice?" moment.

(We are overhearing from below the lift)
"Ok lower me down the lift."
*Shotguns out*

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Post your favorite "lol, why does this guy use in game voice?" moment.

"Hey, I dont think we're alone here."
*bomb lands 2 feet behind talking guy*

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just prestiged for the first time, its almost liberating playing as a tier 1 with garbage weapons, playing with reckless abandon. Early on I was fortunate enough to recruit a hunter with a chain pistol and fanning https://streamable.com/kimxk

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It's weird how sometimes I can play on the west coast servers, and sometimes I get a 280 ping for no reason. It'll just hover around 70-100 then just decide to start creeping on up.

I just want to play with west coast friends sometimes, game. Why are you like this. :emo:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Performance patch incoming:

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/9djs2o/patch_24_performance_patch_test_server/

Hopefully this will help players on lower end machines.

Also they are permanently adding solo mode, how disappointing.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/9djs2o/patch_24_performance_patch_test_server/

Neat, I don't have the energy to find and work with a partner now so I was getting worried how well I would do when the week ended.

In other news, dogs are terrifying and it feels awful you've blundered into bring surrounded on all sides by them.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Knifegrab posted:

Where are they saying they're adding perma solo mode? Cause that sucks nutsacks. It is my fervent hope that I can still solo que into duo games because that is what I love most. If it's forced solo-only, gently caress.
Solo has become a boring rear end campfest of 'who goes first' bullshit.
The answer is me. I go first and murder that boss and then every one of you assholes but it's always going to be a shitfest and actually surviving a boss kill and banish while 9 solos try to rob you is stupid. It becomes far more viable to camp like the others, or ambush at extracts.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Do you mean the solo contract is going to be permanent, which is completely different from solo mode? Also where are you getting this information.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 6, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said solo mode is not forced, not sure why you guys are assuming it is or why it would be bad.

Catering to a gaming community's needs often leads to gamemode/feature bloat. Often times the loudest most vocal part of any community is one that says what "I want" but not what is good for everyone or the longevity/health/integrity of a game itself.

Hunt was built from the ground up to support teams of two, ammo crates, a DBNO system, double bounties, etc. Solo mode was never even on their radar until losers who couldn't fathom playing with another human being piped up. (or who couldn't be bother to assume the challenge of playing solos vs duos).

Now the player base will be split, the development time will be split, and they will have to consider everything they create to be balanced around those two modes. Whereas they could have made a cool and good monster for duo they might now second guess because it will be too difficult for solos.

And lastly solo only mode, as mentioned above, sucked rear end, it was super unfun and led to dumb campy bullshit gameplay.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Balance be damned. New content for this game aside from two or three weapons would be rad.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Separately: Are custom servers ever going to be a thing? It would be fun to play around with the spawning.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For the love of Bayou Billy, don't play solo mode then? I think it's a great addition, I loving loath playing with randos as your partner or forgoing that to play as a loner versus teams of two or worse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AndyElusive posted:

For the love of Bayou Billy,
i got this reference

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Hunt was built from the ground up to support teams of two, ammo crates, a DBNO system, double bounties, etc. Solo mode was never even on their radar until losers who couldn't fathom playing with another human being piped up. (or who couldn't be bother to assume the challenge of playing solos vs duos).

You sound like a nice, thoughtful person.

AndyElusive posted:

For the love of Bayou Billy, don't play solo mode then? I think it's a great addition, I loving loath playing with randos as your partner or forgoing that to play as a loner versus teams of two or worse.

Genuinely, thank you for being a voice of sanity.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: Meh, I've said my piece. Hopefully everything on the roadmap still gets accomplished in time and our queue times aren't all doubled.

You yeller cowards!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
I think it's fine to have the solo contract as long as you can still queue solo in team games. I don't really feel like solo contract will ever be able to be balanced correctly though, and hopefully it doesn't impact the duo mode balancing.