Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Do you like JRPG puzzle dungeons? Because they'll get you some JRPG puzzle dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20DL1WYyyU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Do you like JRPG puzzle dungeons? Because they'll get you some JRPG puzzle dungeons.

Nothing turns me off faster from an RPG then dungeons with puzzles, or having to pointlessly hit switches.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

idk most modern rpg dungeons aren't any more interesting than the ones in dragon quest 1 so I'd take the puzzles

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Relax Or DIE posted:

They were handing out old monitors at work, and I snagged one on my way out. I was hoping to use it to set up my retropie next to my bed, as bedtime gaming is probably the only way I'm gonna get to some of these older games I want to try. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually have an HDMI port and getting it covered to the ports that it does have (VGA and displayport) seem like a pain in the rear end.

I might make my way to Microcenter and see what I can rustle up but I thought this thread full of attractive geniuses might have good ideas.

You could get a HDMI->Displayport adapter but I think that it actually matters what the signal flow is like as in a Displayport->HDMI cable will not work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve ordered from Play-Asia a couple times in the past and never had an issue, and placed an order for a game before I saw goons say they were bad. I wondered why. Well, I don’t wonder anymore.

I ordered Full Metal Panic Asia edition for PS4 and after 3 months of waiting they sent me two copies of Taiko Drum Master for Switch. What a loving clown shoes company. I’m hoping I can get my money back or they ship me what I actually paid for and sent it fastest shipping possible at no charge to me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Play the PS2 remake of the first Wild Arms if you can. It adds way more unique music to recurring bosses and it's all really good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zv0P6A_VuA

These people are doing the best remakes. They redraw lots of the graphics but stay so true to the original art style that you might not even notice they've done it. And they're using the higher res to let you see more around you which will probably make the game play a lot better. So awesome

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Nothing turns me off faster from an RPG then dungeons with puzzles, or having to pointlessly hit switches.

it's better than empty corridors

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lets hang out posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zv0P6A_VuA

These people are doing the best remakes. They redraw lots of the graphics but stay so true to the original art style that you might not even notice they've done it. And they're using the higher res to let you see more around you which will probably make the game play a lot better. So awesome

Did they ever adjust the Wild Guns remake to have another difficulty level or to otherwise be balanced towards anything other than four characters at once?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Puzzle rooms with random encounters enabled are death

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I played the FFX remaster recently and googled every shrine(?) sphere puzzle without even trying to do them myself, just not worth the effort.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Phantasium posted:

Did they ever adjust the Wild Guns remake to have another difficulty level or to otherwise be balanced towards anything other than four characters at once?

Dunno. Hope they don't make Ninja Warriors much harder, it was already brutal. Also just remembered the original game didn't have coop at all :eyepop:

Went to the website and it totally says "1-2 players" :stoked:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 5, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man I remember when Ninja Warriors first came out at the UCLA arcade and a lot of the black students complained because in the game all the footsoldier enemies were black and the higher ranking enemies were white and had rifles

Did they change that in the console adaptations?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 5, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Man I remember when Ninja Warriors first came out at the UCLA arcade and a lot of the black students complained because in the game all the footsoldier enemies were black and the higher ranking enemies were white and had rifles

Did they change that in the console adaptations?

The one being remade is actually a console sequel to the original arcade game. The most basic enemies in it are soldiers with knives, there are light and dark skinned versions of them but mechanically I think they're the same and they show up in equal numbers. I think the gun dudes are completely covered up? I don't remember all the other enemies, it was a lot of typical 90s beat-em-up goons and ninja robots and the little gremlin guys with claws that were women ninjas in the Japanese version. :confused:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 5, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ninja warriors again is a pretty badass game so getting a remake is cool

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Star Fox Zero is such utter trash. Holy poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ok

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Im going to play God of War 3.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm on video game overload and it's wonderful. I've been playing Overwatch since it launched and I recently switched roles in Overwatch from tank to support. I liked keeping people alive with Shields and making space, but it turns out I like keeping people alive with healing even more! So I'm learning Moira and Brig and dabbling with the other supports. It's like playing a brand new game!

Meanwhile I'm having a hell of a good time with Monster Hunter on the Switch. I have an armor set that gives me Attack L buff (the most attack!!) and a weapon that hits fast, like a truck, and paralyzes monsters.

The bad thing about this is when I play OW I wish I was playing MH. When I play MH I wish I was playing OW. Last night I compromised and played MH while queueing in OW.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Star Fox Zero is such utter trash. Holy poo poo.

the arwing parts are pretty dope if you can grasp the controls

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm on video game overload and it's wonderful. I've been playing Overwatch since it launched and I recently switched roles in Overwatch from tank to support. I liked keeping people alive with Shields and making space, but it turns out I like keeping people alive with healing even more! So I'm learning Moira and Brig and dabbling with the other supports. It's like playing a brand new game!

Meanwhile I'm having a hell of a good time with Monster Hunter on the Switch. I have an armor set that gives me Attack L buff (the most attack!!) and a weapon that hits fast, like a truck, and paralyzes monsters.

The bad thing about this is when I play OW I wish I was playing MH. When I play MH I wish I was playing OW. Last night I compromised and played MH while queueing in OW.

It helps that Moira and Brig are arguably two of the strongest/most useful characters in the meta right now, huh? Do you play comp at all?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am very bad with Brigitte but her relentlessly positive spirit motivates me to do better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If I'm healing I almost always play Mercy. Her brain-dead mechanics fit with my overall opinion of healers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

If I'm healing I almost always play Mercy. Her brain-dead mechanics fit with my overall opinion of healers.

She was mandatory when she had mass rez, now I really only see her if someone else is playing Pharah.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, about Anthem and Bioware in general, a producer said some things

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/anthem-producer-mass-effect-andromeda-never-had-a-good-foundation-to-support-long-term-plans

quote:

"We don't have to wait for full expansions anymore like our previous games, let alone other games in the [live service] space," says Gamble. "If you look at Dragon Age or Mass Effect you'd have to wait three, four, five, six months sometimes between big updates. We don't have to abide by that anymore. We can actually, week-over-week, trickle out content." 

quote:

"I can speak conclusively when it comes to Andromeda, the [post-launch] plans were never in place the way that they are for Anthem," revealed Gamble. "The systems and tools weren't in place to support the long-term plans, it was never like [Anthem]—never had a good, solid foundation to start from with that. Where with Anthem [post-launch] is a part of it. The job does not end on February 22. It only begins for us, really." 

Yeah, that was Andromeda's problem, it wasn't Games As A Service. Goddamn EA is ruining Bioware

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, that was Andromeda's problem, it wasn't Games As A Service. Goddamn EA is ruining Bioware

That's how you build a legacy like Bob Dylan

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I lost all hope for Anthem after E3 2018. The direction EA Games is going with its titles just isn't appealing to me. The Division 2 looks like a much better game, and UBISoft's post launch support for it is exciting, the most important reason being that all expansions will be free.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The idea that their killer project is straight-up a Destiny clone in every aspect (story, classes, gameplay, world structure) is just hilarious and sad. At least Destiny was made by people with a reputation for shooters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, about Anthem and Bioware in general, a producer said some things

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/anthem-producer-mass-effect-andromeda-never-had-a-good-foundation-to-support-long-term-plans

love that game devs think the most exciting part of video games, is all the way they can find to make us have to pay more

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Verranicus posted:

She was mandatory when she had mass rez, now I really only see her if someone else is playing Pharah.

She still has the greatest healing output out of all Supports, right? I feel like if you need someone to push forward with a tank or help two or three people on the team in a hurry, she still is a good option.

Her Ress is hosed, tho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ubisoft and ea are both complete loving garbage, and i don't mean that as like irony or whatever they are both doing poo poo that is incredibly toxic to the industry, just in different ways

beyond good & evil 2 is such a loving disgusting shitshow direction to take a long-awaited sequel to a beloved game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

love that game devs think the most exciting part of video games, is all the way they can find to make us have to pay more

That's been EA's thing for a long rear end time now. Before they even ever show off any gameplay footage, the very first thing EA will talk about is their pre-order bonuses and season pass. It was no different for Anthem.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd say EA is the worst publisher right now, it has competition mind you, but the EA of the last few years is just utterly bereft of any creative passion, just soulless buzzwords and trends. Even freaking Activision puts in an iota more of an effort.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Division 2 is like is someone fed gaming buzzwords to a machine and it spit out a game.

These companies are doing dumb poo poo with their games but I'm kind of glad that they are, it's more games I can write off and focus on the cool stuff.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
EA, Ubisoft, Warner Brothers, Take 2 are all cancerous publishers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad Nintendo is so conservative and cautious with every busieness decision other than hardware design that they're constantly a decade behind on being lovely to their customers

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't know if I'd give Valve the crown of poo poo but they've been really loving up hard for the past decade

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Vavle might take it for most goodwill squandered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ea and activision are callous moneygrubbers but at least they arent monopolizing literally the entire pc industry and being massive homophobes/nazi abettors, so

• Locked thread