Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

not caring here posted:

It's never lupus

Except that one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mods changed my name posted:

Avenattis platform seems ok with me so far, not sure why everyone hates him so much

Edit: at worst you can say he's being opportunistic as hell

Because he's a rich white lawyer

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Because he's a rich white lawyer

Hmm, fair

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

orange juche posted:

I mean I read the book so I already knew that Starship Troopers was a satirical work, but there's plenty of people who looked at Starship Troopers and thought that it was a future that humans should strive towards.

It was a long time ago I guess but I honestly don't remember weird political stuff or anything in Starship Troopers, it seemed like a "wholesome" becoming-a-man-in-the-army sort of story because spaceships and power armor and finally feeling like I know what I'm doing in an environment of hardship and danger (but not too much danger to me personally) and dropping to a planet in power armor and maybe shoot a bug in the face or something.

Unless that was the satirical part since Heinlein knew perfectly well what war was like, but I really didn't get any fashy stuff I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Avenattis platform seems ok with me so far, not sure why everyone hates him so much

Edit: at worst you can say he's being opportunistic as hell

His platform is OK. But like, we just got done electing an attention-seeking D list celebrity who has no real typical qualifications for the presidency.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
And it deffo wasn't like one of those lame books that you find out are banned and highly controversial so you track down a copy figuring the guys are going to be worshipping satan and raping each other or sacrificing kids and learning blood magic or something but instead they're talking politics for 20 pages at a time or whatever and you end up flipping past handfuls of pages at once like whenever you come across a poem or song in Tolkien except there's nothing else in the book.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

His platform is OK. But like, we just got done electing an attention-seeking D list celebrity who has no real typical qualifications for the presidency.

So you're saying that a lawyer with what appears to be an alright platform is an improvement?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The book wasn't satirical at all, the movie was. Pretty sure the novel was completely straight faced but it's been awhile since I read that poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mister Sinewave posted:

It was a long time ago I guess but I honestly don't remember weird political stuff or anything in Starship Troopers, it seemed like a "wholesome" becoming-a-man-in-the-army sort of story because spaceships and power armor and finally feeling like I know what I'm doing in an environment of hardship and danger (but not too much danger to me personally) and dropping to a planet in power armor and maybe shoot a bug in the face or something.

Unless that was the satirical part since Heinlein knew perfectly well what war was like, but I really didn't get any fashy stuff I guess.

its the whole setting more than the story itself

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

That Works posted:

He has a tweet about that

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1034857139880128512

EDIT tweets

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1034402852393824256

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just saw something that said the dubai plane was actually 10 people sick not 100. Looking for a real source.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Well, I learn a new dumb thing every day, I guess.

I genuinely thought it was the dumb ring game thing that started being a thing again recently, mostly because she appeared to receive a message, smirked, then did the thing while glancing at the camera and still suppressing a smirk.

Do she or her associates have some form of history/connection with white supremacists at least? Where there's smoke, there's fire etc?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Man you missed like... everything in that movie, then. Perhaps you should re-watch it!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, I learn a new dumb thing every day, I guess.

I genuinely thought it was the dumb ring game thing that started being a thing again recently, mostly because she appeared to receive a message, smirked, then did the thing while glancing at the camera and still suppressing a smirk.

Do she or her associates have some form of history/connection with white supremacists at least? Where there's smoke, there's fire etc?

I find know your meme pretty ok at explaining this as well

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ok-symbol-👌

EDIT emoji breaking url poo poo

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 5, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Doesn't she associate with the trump admin / gop??

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Man you missed like... everything in that movie, then. Perhaps you should re-watch it!

I think I mixed up the book talk and the movie talk.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So it just makes him a lawyer with no prior political experience. Still not sure that's a great choice for presidency even if his platform is a good one. We have hundreds of millions of citizens, is this the best we can do?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Obvious joke about the fact that she worked on immigration policy in the Trump whitehouse here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If he runs in 2020 and pushes the dialog to the left he will have done more for this country than literally anyone in the Democratic leadership.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If he runs in 2020 and pushes the dialog to the left he will have done more for this country than literally anyone in the Democratic leadership.

:same:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Wait, so being a lawyer and dealing with politics in law / court house is no political experience? Do you realize politicians write the laws and politics at a national level can be compared to high school?

A quote of his I can find on this
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1027773371671633922

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's nothing that truly prepares an individual for the immense job that is the Presidency, but it's abundantly clear throughout history that the best Presidents are typically those that have experience managing large bureaucracies or experience working in the legislature. In the 20th Century alone you have TR and FDR (Governor of New York), Eisenhower (Supreme Commander of Allied forces in World War II), and LBJ (Master of the Senate) as those who accomplished the most positive change, and even assholes like Nixon (Senator and two-term Vice President) and Reagan (Governor of California) were effective in part because of their experience in the bureaucracy.

Furthermore, experience in government means more exposure to people who know government-part of the reason why Trump's administration is such a goddamn trainwreck is because it's filled with idiots and morons who don't know jack or poo poo about the agencies they're supposed to lead or advise. On the complete other hand, Lincoln was so successful was because he was able to fill his cabinet with people who, even as they were plotting against him, he could trust to do the jobs he needed them to do in a time of immense crisis. Likewise, FDR was successful in part because of the people he surrounded himself with, including crucial advisor Louis Howe.

Having the right policies and ideas are important, but believing the right things (Or telling people you believe the right things) doesn't mean jack or poo poo if you can't implement them. Just look at Carter-policy and belief wise he was one of the better Presidents of the 20th century, but his inability to work with Congress and his failures on the international stage allowed Reagan to swoop in and completely blow any chance the Democrats had of enacting lasting positive change to the country in the post-Watergate era. Avenatti could easily be the same thing-someone who gets into office, fights with his own Congress ineffectively for a few years, and then gets swept out when a charismatic rear end in a top hat blames everyone's problems on minorities/women/immigrants again.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 5, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Wait, so being a lawyer and dealing with politics in law / court house is no political experience? Do you realize politicians write the laws and politics at a national level can be compared to high school?

A quote of his I can find on this
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1027773371671633922

Ok you got me. He's supremely qualified to be president and we should be excited that he's going to run for office.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I mean if you can name a Democrat with whatever experience that is deemed as real enough and isn't a centrist pile of poo poo, I'd be more than willing to give them a chance too

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I mean if you can name a Democrat with whatever experience that is deemed as real enough and isn't a centrist pile of poo poo, I'd be more than willing to give them a chance too

To line up for the guillotines? Yeah, me too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That Works posted:

Ok you got me. He's supremely qualified to be president and we should be excited that he's going to run for office.

Gonna refute literally anything in the content of that tweet?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How to get my vote: don’t be a republican.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chris Murphy, Tammy Duckworth, Martin Heinrich just to name a brief few.

Edit: Jeff Merkley and Sherrod Brown maybe?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gonna refute literally anything in the content of that tweet?

Refute what. That he's served as an attorney for 18 years and gained public eye by representing a celebrity in a case against the president? That's his qualifications for office. That he's been an attorney and worked on some government cases.

Those aren't the worst qualifications, but I don't think they are great ones either.

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean the good attack against him is what Acebuckeye13 wrote. We don't really know if he knows the right people for his cabinet if he won or if he will work well with congress.

But at the same time, polling for the next house race is basically major dem with a lot of new faces.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'd start by looking at democratic governors that are under 70 of larger states. Oregon, Washington, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. Not sure how many of the don't have poo poo policies though.

Roy Cooper (NC), Kate Brown (OR), Tom Wolf (PA), Ralph Northam (VA), Jay Inslee (WA).

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 5, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/andykroll/status/1037368813665378304?s=21

Accurate.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lolmarf

quote:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions will meet with state attorneys general later this month to discuss whether tech companies may be “intentionally stifling the free exchange of ideas,” the Justice Department said Wednesday in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...edia-platforms/

Absolutely none of these fuckwits seem to understand what freedom of speech really is; meanwhile, Trump’s also opining about why we shouldn’t we be banning protests (against him, obviously)

President Avenatti will be inheriting quite the country in 2020! :allears:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Bernie going after JeffyB with some ridiculously named stunt:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/bernie-sanders-introduces-the-bezos-act-slamming-amazon-low-wages.html

I really want to see substantive legislation passed at encouraging fair wages and benefits, but I feel as though something like this isn't going to curry the kind of mass support it would need to succeed both in proposal and in implementation. The whole Acronym thing is tacky as gently caress too.

Holy poo poo, did Hunter have some sort of checklist of Things to Not Do as a Government Official?

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 5, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In Hunter’s criminal misuse of campaign funds news, Prosecutor’s have found that some of the spending was on women he was having affairs with.

Having affairs isn’t illegal, but these freak sexual improprieties and financial grift just keeps happening to Evangelical members of congress!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

That Works posted:

Chris Murphy, Tammy Duckworth, Martin Heinrich just to name a brief few.

Edit: Jeff Merkley and Sherrod Brown maybe?

Oh I didn't realize these people announced their intentions to run for president, I'll look forward to their campaigns as well and I hope that the most suitable candidate wins

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
yooooooo

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1037388562973556737?s=19

gonna be liiiiiiit

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Doesn't she associate with the trump admin / gop??

Yeah, I just read up on her and I don't think any employee of Stephen Miller has an excuse in that regard

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I just read up on her and I don't think any employee of Stephen Miller has an excuse in that regard

hey, someone has to dispose of the skinned corpse parts that Miller can't eat or gently caress

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1037373254900637696?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The UK has charged two Russian intelligence officers with trying to murder the Skripals.

Of course they got on a plane back to Russia as soon as the deed was done, so unless they're dumb enough to travel somewhere with extradition, nothing will ever happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/world/europe/russia-uk-novichok-skripal.html

• Locked thread