Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

wizzardstaff posted:

This gets especially goofy in Lost, where the characters are bonking each other on the head so often with so little consequence that it's basically an on-off switch.

Starting at 7:00 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jzwny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Leviathan Wakes, the first book in The Expanse series, has an interview with one of the authors at the end. The interviewer asks him how that version of FTL drive works and he responds “Very efficiently”.

By "that version" do you mean just in "magic space engine"? As they very much do not go faster then light.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phanatic posted:

Archer is about the only one in fiction that recognizes that.

Of course Archer also is the only one who counts the bullets people fire so he knows when they need to reload.

I loved the bit in the last episode of Season 5(?) where the bad guy is the only one left with a gun and holds everyone up but when he gets away he lets out he didn't have any bullets left and Archer comments that it was his fault because he's the one supposed to count the bullets

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Then they go to suggest he can do that because he's autistic - a possibility Archer seriously considers because he was keeping track of bullets while dying, and getting shot. :v:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

By "that version" do you mean just in "magic space engine"? As they very much do not go faster then light.

Yeah, the “get to the other end of the solar system without dying of old age” drive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bike tory posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up before but the thing that happens in every action movie ever where they whack someone with the butt of a gun, or just hit them in the back on the head, and they fall unconscious for an unspecified amount of time.

Blows to the head that knock you out for any significant amount of time involve brain damage and lengthy (years) recoveries.

Yeah this is one of my biggest pet peeves because its such a lazy shortcut that solves lots of violent conflict and... it just doesn't work.

Also people who get shot in the chest and go dead silent instantly. Unless you blow somebody's brains out, they will live anywhere between a minute and 2 hours before they die from blood loss or what have you. They probably can't fight anymore but they can scream or shoot a gun still.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

Archer is about the only one in fiction that recognizes that.

Of course Archer also is the only one who counts the bullets people fire so he knows when they need to reload.

Archer also makes an issue with how loud guns are and how firing them in close quarters or near someone's head can cause serious ear damage and hearing loss.

So good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does it still do that thing where it makes the same 5 jokes over an over again? And most of them are callbacks to the first time it was a joke? That's what made me stop watching that show that was otherwise good. It all came to a point when they had Kenny Loggins in the shows because season 1 episode 1 he said "danger zone".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IUG posted:

Does it still do that thing where it makes the same 5 jokes over an over again? And most of them are callbacks to the first time it was a joke? That's what made me stop watching that show that was otherwise good. It all came to a point when they had Kenny Loggins in the shows because season 1 episode 1 he said "danger zone".

I dunno man it sounds like you just don't like humor.

Running gags aren't exactly joke recycling, they put fresh funny spins on things.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just finishing up watching Disenchanted, Matt Groening's new show.

Well, I say, "new" but it's more Futurama in fairytale land. Yeah, remember the Futurama episode, Bender's Game, when they go all Dungeons & Dragons and it was really poo poo? It's that.

Well, not quite as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlHF8UHT5Y&t=8s

:ughh:

There are a few good moments, but nothing stands out. Every joke and character is 100% what you expect them to be if you've ever watched one of his shows before and you'll see each one coming a mile away.

But what really shits me is the show drags out the tired loving corpse of "pathetic loser who pines for the girl and inevitably breaks down her resistance by being a creepy 'nice guy' never giving up trying to guilt her into a pity relationship."

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Sep 5, 2018

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I loved the Hyperion and Endymion books, and to a certain degree Illium and Olympos as well.

But in the latter two you can definitely tell he's beginning to go off his rocker with the whole thing about jews being exterminated in a giant space jihad and whatnot.

I really liked Hyperion too and Terror but Dan Simmons has full on brain worms now. He wrote a book where Obama and liberal policies ruined America so much that it was invaded by Japan and Mexico and got Israel nuked by Muslims. If only Obama was willing to say "radical Islam" then they wouldn't have built a mosque at Ground Zero.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Running gags aren't exactly joke recycling, they put fresh funny spins on things.

No, I liked the jokes. But after the 20th time it is done, it's no longer funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRU3I_o1vLc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just finishing up watching Disenchanted, Matt Groening's new show.

Well, I say, "new" but it's more Futurama in fairytale land. Yeah, remember the Futurama episode, Bender's Game, when they go all Dungeons & Dragons and it was really poo poo? It's that.

Well, not quite as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlHF8UHT5Y&t=8s

:ughh:

There are a few good moments, but nothing stands out. Every joke and character is 100% what you expect them to be if you've ever watched one of his shows before and you'll see each one coming a mile away.

But what really shits me is the show drags out the tired loving corpse of "pathetic loser who pines for the girl and inevitably breaks down her resistance by being a creepy 'nice guy' never giving up trying to guilt her into a pity relationship."

The thing with the dwarf guy running into a gnome/giant fight was just so utterly mirthless

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

Archer really tested the limits of how many times the same jokes could be spun, even by the second season.

And then they did soft reboot seasons with slightly different settings so the same jokes and characters could be recycled over again.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Tagichatn posted:

I really liked Hyperion too and Terror but Dan Simmons has full on brain worms now. He wrote a book where Obama and liberal policies ruined America so much that it was invaded by Japan and Mexico and got Israel nuked by Muslims. If only Obama was willing to say "radical Islam" then they wouldn't have built a mosque at Ground Zero.

I gave up at Illyium, good to see that was a good choice. The Hyperion Cantos was terrific writing, I still love the jester’s intro story where he loses the ability to speak in anything but swears.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

synthetik posted:

I gave up at Illyium, good to see that was a good choice. The Hyperion Cantos was terrific writing, I still love the jester’s intro story where he loses the ability to speak in anything but swears.

Illium and Olympos aren't bad, and I very much enjoyed them. Especially the stuff with the robots in the asteroid belt.

But yeah, I'm not sure whether I'd be able to enjoy them again, burdened with the knowledge of Dan Simmons' decline into insanity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a disenchanted thread, a few goons liked it but most of us were extremely disappointed, and that right there is my #1 complaint.

The whole "lets mock Elfo for not having a girlfriend, so he lies and pretends a woman who has never met him is his lover" is a plot pulled from 20 years ago and shows Groening either phoned it in on Disenchantment or has been living a sheltered and disconnected life since The Simpsons made him rich.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is one of my biggest pet peeves because its such a lazy shortcut that solves lots of violent conflict and... it just doesn't work.

Also people who get shot in the chest and go dead silent instantly. Unless you blow somebody's brains out, they will live anywhere between a minute and 2 hours before they die from blood loss or what have you. They probably can't fight anymore but they can scream or shoot a gun still.

I'll add to the generic movie irritations:

Injecting people in the neck. Yeah, there's a lot of vessels there and you could get your drug into the bloodstream quickly. But if you just jam a needle into someone's neck in a surprise attack you're far more likely to hit muscle/bone/oesophagus or any of the other structures that are in there. Hitting a blood vessel takes a modicum of precision, which leads us to

Instant acting injections. Drugs take a few seconds to work even injected into a major artery. If you inject into muscle then you're looking at least several minutes. The whole 'pop up, stab them in the neck and they drop before you even take the needle out' is just ridiculous.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think there was a story about when Babylon 5 was being filmed that people complained that a brawl between Sheridan and some other characters coming in at about 2 minutes was going on too long and wasn't realistic because people were used to TV fights being one-two punch affairs that knocked someone out in a single good punch.

https://youtu.be/JhIAWyGQW8Q?t=74
warning, flashing lights

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Sep 5, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I find Val Kilmer's performance as the rebellious, authority defying, responsibility denying, punk rear end, funny guy genius in Real Genius to be super unconvincing, and I really like Val Kilmer.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
My IIMM for Disenchanted was that there was a noticeable lack of soundtrack. Like most of the show was utterly silent aside from dialogue and sound effects which made the “serious” scenes seem really flat. It was like watching a rehearsal take that hadn’t been edited.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

jabby posted:

I'll add to the generic movie irritations:

I haven't seen it in a movie for years now, but the chloroform rag over the mouth was another one.

Of course after being instantly knocked out with a blow to the head/injection to the neck/chloroform rag the hero often wakes up rope-tied to a chair or pole. This one isn't as bad because I assume it CAN be done well, but it's actually pretty hard to securely tie someone to anything with rope. Even tying super tight with lots of rope you can usually wiggle free in under 30 seconds.

My other pet peeve in action movies these days (the Marvel movies overuse this significantly) is where the protagonist gets captured and heroically resists torture, so the villain threatens a friend or loved one. The protagonist then immediately caves to whatever demands the villain has, usually handing over whatever item or information villain need to murder thousands or millions of people. Superheroes all need to take a moral philosophy 101 course or something

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I want to see that go down afterwards, too.

"You sat there, you sat there and watched them loving torture me for 4 hours!"
"There was nothing I could do, I was tied to a chair!"
"You could have told them what they wanted to know!"
"If I'd done that, they have no more need for us and they would have killed us both!"
"Good! Again: Tortured, four hours! Did you NOT hear that I was literally BEGGING someone to just loving kill me like 20 minutes in."
"Yes... I heard... I heard all of that. It's going to haunt me forever..."
"..."
"..."
"Haunt YOU forever?! Oh my God, I'm SO SORRY for what YOU had to endure for those four hours! I'm sorry I was so insensitive to YOUR suffering from all this. Speaking of my insensitivity, 90% of my nerve endings no longer feel anything!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

JebanyPedal posted:

I find Val Kilmer's performance as the rebellious, authority defying, responsibility denying, punk rear end, funny guy genius in Real Genius to be super unconvincing, and I really like Val Kilmer.

That movie was like the predecessor to the "i loving love science" stuff. If they made that today and threw in a cameo of neil degrasse tyson and bill nye it would probably be a huge hit.

But yeah, I didn't really buy his character either. The "non-nerd pretending to be a nerd that's pretending to be a non-nerd" feeling was too strong.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

I want to see that go down afterwards, too.

"You sat there, you sat there and watched them loving torture me for 4 hours!"
"There was nothing I could do, I was tied to a chair!"
"You could have told them what they wanted to know!"
"If I'd done that, they have no more need for us and they would have killed us both!"
"Good! Again: Tortured, four hours! Did you NOT hear that I was literally BEGGING someone to just loving kill me like 20 minutes in."
"Yes... I heard... I heard all of that. It's going to haunt me forever..."
"..."
"..."
"Haunt YOU forever?! Oh my God, I'm SO SORRY for what YOU had to endure for those four hours! I'm sorry I was so insensitive to YOUR suffering from all this. Speaking of my insensitivity, 90% of my nerve endings no longer feel anything!"

Babe, it's not my fault torture doesn't work, and anyone who says otherwise is an irredeemable monster *pan out, looks at camera*

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh and "torture" usually just involves punching them in the face a few times.

*Captain America looks up, lip bloodied after being punched in the face*
"Do you worst, evilbadguy, I'll never tell you the launch codes!"
*Evil bad guy punches him in the face again*
"Never!"
*Evil bad guy picks up some bone screws, dental drills and wheels out a torture rack*
"Whoa whoa whoa I thought you were just going to threaten to kill Bucky or whatever. Jesus, you psycho"

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

bike tory posted:

Oh and "torture" usually just involves punching them in the face a few times.

I know you’re not arguing for this but I’m perfectly happy without realistic torture scenes in movies.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tagichatn posted:

Wow holy poo poo. I wonder if he suffered a traumatic brain injury.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

My other pet peeve in action movies these days (the Marvel movies overuse this significantly) is where the protagonist gets captured and heroically resists torture, so the villain threatens a friend or loved one. The protagonist then immediately caves to whatever demands the villain has, usually handing over whatever item or information villain need to murder thousands or millions of people. Superheroes all need to take a moral philosophy 101 course or something

Superman struggles with the Trolley problem :cheeky:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zaphod42 posted:

"I'd just swoop in and save them all, and track down the evildoer who tied those poor people to the tracks, of course."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
And Batman would just let it happen.

"I don't have to save you, Ra's!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It sort of struck me that the couple of Marvel movies I've seen that I've felt a bit of a strange 'blehness' to certain large elements all share relatively unsympathetic villains. As fun as the GOTG films are, the villains just lack a core of "Okay, I sort of understand motivations why you are acting this way even if I disagree."

In another thread I actually complained about the opposite, in some small way: That too many sympathetic villains were gradually going to make audiences a bit bored because they want a pure villain, again.

I get that it creates a deeper reading and exploration of the film and its message, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Screaming Idiot posted:

"I'd just swoop in and save them all, and track down the evildoer who tied those poor people to the tracks, of course."

Someone must remember this webcomic I'm half remembering. Superman is there with the Justice League and Batman is like "I can use my super sleuthing powers to figure out how the bad guys did it-" and then Superman says "Nahh, I'll just throw them into the sun". Then The Flash says "My super speed will let us catch-" Superman: "Nahh, sun". Wonder Woman "My lasso of truth will ensure that-" Superman: "Sun."

Did I make that up or does it actually exist?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Depressio111117 posted:

I know you’re not arguing for this but I’m perfectly happy without realistic torture scenes in movies.

There are a few films that show it isn't just smacking dudes in the mouth and it makes the scene a lot more powerful. When you see a blowtorch against a foot or pliers in a mouth, you know poo poo just got real. If you kidnap Liam Neeson's daughter, you better believe electrified nails are getting jammed in your thighs!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The 'best' torture scene was in Looper, where the guy's future self just starts losing body parts because they've captured the younger self and are mutilating him. No gore, no blood, just one really horrifying realization.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mel Gibson's Payback comes to mind. "This little piggy went to market..."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jack Bauer ties up a dude and uses a knife to make a lot of small slices all over his chest and stomach. He has a squirt bottle full of lemon juice and goes to town on the wounds.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Nah I'm good

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just wish they'd show how torture doesn't loving work, because people will say anything they think you want them to say to make it stop, even if it's complete bullshit. The intelligence you get from torture is useless. If you torture anyone long enough they'll confess to anything. But movies always show it being the quickest and most accurate way to find out what you want. Ironically Star Wars is the only movie I can think of that gets it right. The rebels are on Dantooine indeed.

And Infinity War was just one hero after another failing the trolley problem.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I liked The Good Place’s take on that.

You don’t choose, you sacrifice yourself.