Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST

One year ago today, pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AlMac posted:

Time certainly flies.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kurtofan posted:

Time certainly flies.

What year is this?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What year is this?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What year is this?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

AlMac posted:

Apparently also the 20 year anniversary of Metal Gear Solid. It's all connected.....

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/jdeNDRh.gifv

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
good page number for the reminder. time to make your own ending.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

atrus50 posted:

See now you say this http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/midway.html but do you want this

A joint Lynch/Residents project would've been quite something. We got The Straight Story and Mulholland Drive instead - part of me thinks that's a fair trade, while another part is just going "fuuuuuuuuuck" at what might have been.

Holy poo poo, that site has a list of upcoming Lynch productions for '99, don't think I've heard of any of them. That film about the last days of Edgar Allen Poe definitely sounds like a project that shouldn't have slipped by.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
David Lynch is the king of giving me the heebie-jeebies despite the fact I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

David Lynch is the only filmmaker who can truly make me feel physically ill from watching certain films and things, and most artists don't even approach that level of deep, visceral reaction. I watch and look at art for that feeling.

You know that feeling when sometimes you're standing in art gallery looking at a painting and it just makes the hair on your back of your neck stand up and you get cold little shocks of adrenaline going through your body because it's so affecting... Lynch is probably one of these three filmmakers who can give me that sensation..

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He’s ok

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

kaworu posted:

David Lynch is the only filmmaker who can truly make me feel physically ill from watching certain films and things, and most artists don't even approach that level of deep, visceral reaction. I watch and look at art for that feeling.

You know that feeling when sometimes you're standing in art gallery looking at a painting and it just makes the hair on your back of your neck stand up and you get cold little shocks of adrenaline going through your body because it's so affecting... Lynch is probably one of these three filmmakers who can give me that sensation..

Exactly. And it’s not even through what a lot of people would view as superficially frightening, like gratuitous violence.

No, Lynch somehow taps into that pure nightmare logic, where none of it should make sense on paper, or even really seem all that threatening, but it just connects in some part of your brain to form that “this is very wrong and I don’t like it” feeling.

He has his faults, but where he excels, he excels very well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kaworu posted:

:same:

It’s a really special thing. It captures the way a lot of mundane situations in real life can go a little weird and then your brain proceeds to take you to the strangest places. It’s much more intense when you’re terrified on an instinctual level.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kaworu posted:

Lemme tell you bout my boy Gasper Noé

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

kaworu posted:

Ever seen anything by Merhige?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I got in a conversation at work with a coworker that has only seen Twin Peaks and asked about other Lynch things. I was telling him to check out Eraserhead and Mullholland Drive, he asked if they were Horrors. My response was that they sort of are, except the horror isn't a monster or some external threat, the horror comes from within the protagonist. This is why Lynch is so great, hes amazing at getting deep into your psyche and exploiting your own weaknesses as a human.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't forget Lost Highway. Even though it's aged a bit weirdly due to the whole videotapes and mobile phones thing.

Lost Highway is on Amazon Prime and in my region the blurb just says "Variations of psychogenic fugue." I love this, because the blurbs for all the other movies are five times as long and sound all excited about why you'd wanna watch them. But it's also simultaneously incomprehensible to most people and completely accurate.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I find Lost Highway to be a bit innacessible. Mullholland Drive is my go to Lynch recommendation because it's got a pretty straight through line, especially in the first act. The message is also really powerful and easily explained to people that might not get it on first viewing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wild at heart is my current favorite

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Funny, I always thought of Lost Highway as a more accessible Mulholland Drive, and Wild at Heart is my least favorite Lynch movie by a mile. What year is this...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

acksplode posted:

Wild at Heart is my least favorite Lynch movie by a mile.

Why?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I thought all the Elvis singing stuff was corny, it made me cringe. Totally a matter of taste. But I haven't seen it in years, I probably owe it a rewatch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh yeah, that scene owns hard

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wild at heart is great because you don’t even realize it’s a wizard of oz remake until the end.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I like Wild at Heart. It seems like a weird anomaly now in the big body of Lynch's work, whereas it seemed at the time like a logical progression into that sort of edgy violent stuff that American cinema became. It's really pulpy and light and cartoonish and lacks a lot of what makes all of the stuff he did after great, you know the kind of thing, those horrible emotionally broadsiding scenes that gently caress your head three ways out of Wednesday, those over-long gloom-fest shots that make you feel like you've just eaten sixteen raw potatoes. Wild at Heart has this really jolly positive fun vibe to it and is just a big bag of silly entertainment and is awesome for that reason. There's less to it than everything he's done but that's fine, it's still a really fun movie to watch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Modrasone posted:

I like Wild at Heart. It seems like a weird anomaly now in the big body of Lynch's work, whereas it seemed at the time like a logical progression into that sort of edgy violent stuff that American cinema became. It's really pulpy and light and cartoonish and lacks a lot of what makes all of the stuff he did after great, you know the kind of thing, those horrible emotionally broadsiding scenes that gently caress your head three ways out of Wednesday, those over-long gloom-fest shots that make you feel like you've just eaten sixteen raw potatoes. Wild at Heart has this really jolly positive fun vibe to it and is just a big bag of silly entertainment and is awesome for that reason. There's less to it than everything he's done but that's fine, it's still a really fun movie to watch.

the relationship between sailor and lula is one of the best I've seen on screen, they respect and admire each other. that's the core of the movie and I think it's a pretty worthy subject. the scene with lula and bobby is pretty heavy, along with the overall themes of sexual abuse and attraction to danger

also cage does that badass front flip out of the car

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

acksplode posted:

I thought all the Elvis singing stuff was corny, it made me cringe. Totally a matter of taste. But I haven't seen it in years, I probably owe it a rewatch.

Cage is literally playing the character as an Elvis impersonator. Sailor is doing an Elvis bit 100 percent of the time, even when he's not singing the songs.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Right, that's the part that I found corny and off-putting.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wild at heart is wonderful

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That opening scene of Wild at Heart is one of the best ever at properly setting the tone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mentioned Lost Highway mostly because when I rewatched it last year, I thought it had a very similar vibe to Twin Peaks The Return. I also remember thinking "huh, this is actually pretty straightforward" but that's probably with the benefit of having watched it a bunch of times over many years.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Lost Highway is the closest thing I’ve seen on film to what my dreams and nightmares are like. It’s not even that you are worried about some monster popping out it’s the vibe and feelings of unease.

I haven’t seen a good straight horror film in years. Nothing bothers me because I know what to expect.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DropsySufferer posted:

Lost Highway is the closest thing I’ve seen on film to what my dreams and nightmares are like. It’s not even that you are worried about some monster popping out it’s the vibe and feelings of unease.

I haven’t seen a good straight horror film in years. Nothing bothers me because I know what to expect.

Not to mention the "things fundamental to the narrative that happen for no apparent reason but you just roll with it and it makes perfect sense as long as you don't try to figure it out", like suddenly you're a different person than the one you were for the whole previous hour.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need to watch Wild At Heart. I love everything Elvis related and that + Lynch sounds loving brilliant.

e: I just realized Cage’s jacket is also Goro Majima’s and now I’m imagining a combination of Yakuza and Nick Cage and oh god I’m close I’m close I’m cu

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need to watch Wild At Heart. I love everything Elvis related and that + Lynch sounds loving brilliant.

e: I just realized Cage’s jacket is also Goro Majima’s and now I’m imagining a combination of Yakuza and Nick Cage and oh god I’m close I’m close I’m cu

I love Wild at Heart. It's fun, light, sexy, and weird. It's one of Nic Cage's best performances, and I love the guy as an actor, even when he makes poo poo movies. This is not a poo poo movie. It's a much more pleasant experience than the crushing Inland Empire, a movie that took me three sittings, spread weeks apart, to make it through.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love willem Defoe as a flying monkey was so great

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Wild at Heart but I still find it kind of surprising it won the Palme d'Or back in the day.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kinda weird no one has said Blue Velvet. To me it's the center of the Lynch map and different aspects of it point towards all his other projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think thew only David Lynch movie I havent watched yet is Dune

But I heard bad things about it