Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Agronox posted:

I guess that's something to look forward to, then, as the manga (translation) hasn't really gotten there yet.

Not total trash, but still far less funny than the spider parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I want to write an isekai where some reddit nerd gets trapped in a fantasy world and constantly gets owned because he sucks

KonoSuba exists already.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Can you consider those "transported to feudal japan" mangas Isekai or does the protagonist have to die? Because the ones about the chef and neurosurgeon in japan are kinda fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nerdz posted:

Can you consider those "transported to feudal japan" mangas Isekai or does the protagonist have to die? Because the ones about the chef and neurosurgeon in japan are kinda fun.

Time travel stories can structurally be very different and to me what's important and makes isekai isekai is a set of fantasy genre trappings specofic to isekai that are near universal and bore me in a way historical fantasy doesnt.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

But also genre has become increasingly less useful as a structure to organize and discern content as the years roll by anyways.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There's usually all that "RPG interface" bullshit that I hate so, so much

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agronox posted:

I guess that's something to look forward to, then, as the manga (translation) hasn't really gotten there yet.

I think that the manga is ignoring that content (it was originally sprinkled among the spider chapters).

Also I should mention that most people dislike the parts/characters I'm talking about (or at least like them less than the spider parts), but they're also wrong.

The spider parts are highly overrated in my opinion and rely too heavily on how wacky she us, and while it was okay for a while it wore out its welcome pretty fast. I would say that the spider parts started going downhill around when she started making and utilizing the separate minds (that also roughly coincides with her becoming kind of overpowered and the fights losing all tension).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 5, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i disliked them at the time because they aren't as good as the kumoko chapters and they didn't seem to have anything to do with her much better plot. it was all worth it when they revealed the connection, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nerdz posted:

I always put time travel to a sufficiently different time period under the isekai banner since for all intents and purposes you have entered a new "world".

Sharkopath posted:

Time travel stories can structurally be very different and to me what's important and makes isekai isekai is a set of fantasy genre trappings specofic to isekai that are near universal and bore me in a way historical fantasy doesnt.
I wish there were more sci-fi methods of transportation but sci-fi is pretty much dead in a lot of mediums. All of these reincarnations and summonings just make me go back to stuff like Stargate or Sliders. I recently started to re-watch Noeinn and it's good to have a world not rooted in a sort of generic interpretation of fantasy while still shunting persons across dimensional lines.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i disliked them at the time because they aren't as good as the kumoko chapters and they didn't seem to have anything to do with her much better plot. it was all worth it when they revealed the connection, though.

But her plot was extremely boring (at least prior to it intersecting with other charactere) and consisted of her just becoming ridiculously strong due to what amounted to the same ridiculous advantages isekai protagonists usually have. At least the interlude chapters gave some insight into the larger world, and Shun was actually kind of interesting in the sense that he (and most of the other students) was dramatically weaker than all the major players. It's kinda novel to have isekai characters who are actually in over their heads power-wise.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
If you go too much farther into this, could ya’ll please use spoiler tags? The translation has made it up to her getting the fourth personality so anything after that, as well as pretty much everything about her normal life, is new to us manga people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Man I wish Jin updated more frequently.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I would give partial credit to Shield Hero just for him at least starting out in a real lovely situation with some serious limitations. But of course it had to normalize slavery and he of course has to have the requisite girl with funny ears--usually a catgirl--of that whole genre.

That's in comparison to a more typical "walks into the adventurer guild, learns the A-E/F/G/H and obligatory S ranking, then makes the level indicator thing explode due to overwhelming power."

I feel like you could construct some kind of flow chart to bin the different Isekai mangas based on:
1. What the person was before: typical high school student, nerd high school student, NEET, old man, respectable human being
2. they got beamed up/reincarnated/walked through a portal/whatever/unable to log off
3. How they manifest on the other side: summoning circle, randomly teleported somewhere, born, dumped in a video game
4. Whether they're even a human: demon lord, goblin, slime, dragon, random monster, an onsen (yes, that's right)
5. Whether or not it was an accident
6. Whether or not they have a cheat skill. If so, what it is

Unfortunately, you can't really put a category in there to distinguish based on slavery because it's usually a given with a basic, "well what are you gonna do LOL!"

After seeing a few, there was the one with the exterminator that goes through. Skimming past the fan service, I was at least amused that his business model appeared to be to bankrupt slavers, but it was never spelled out, and it looks like he's given up on that hobby.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Man I wish Jin updated more frequently.

Too many time travel stories are overly concerned about "changing the timeline" or similar rot. But history is a loving charnel house! Jin is the best because he briefly thinks about the ramifications and then goes "Nope! I'd rather save millions of lives!"

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I thought that was well illustrated in the recent beriberi arc where a simple change in diet can stop untold misery.

At the same time, despite his knowledge, change is still really difficult due to entrenched views about health - one man can't unseat hundreds of years of perceived wisdom easily.

Also thanks to the ppl who mentioned the Faraway Paladin, caught up with it and it was surprisingly sweet.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I would give partial credit to Shield Hero

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I suppose I saw the Faraway Paladin as a bit less unusual than others ITT seemed to because it reminded me of all those post-LOTR Campbellian fantasy novels - Shannara, Prydain, the Belgariad, the Wheel of Time, and so on. Good-hearted kid gets raised in the middle of nowhere by secretly super-important people, goes out to see the world and defeat evil god. There are wrinkles, like the super-important people all being walking (or floating) corpses, and our kid hero having untreated depression from a previous life, but by and large, it all seems pretty familiar. I think its main advantage is that it’s a basically solid story template that the author knows how to execute, and the atmosphere is uncommonly (and effectively) thoughtful and melancholy.

I’d also say that in the English manga chapters I’ve read, Will doesn’t feel like a Mary Sue in the sense we often see in isekai and other crappy light novels. He’s powerful, but only enough to give him a fighting chance (and I mean a chance, not a certainty) against overwhelmingly mighty enemies, and the story doesn’t revel in his power - it’s not shamelessly built around giving him opportunities to demonstrate his overwhelming strength while the rest of the cast fawns over him. He doesn’t drain the tension from the story just by existing. Again, he feels like a regular post-LOTR fantasy protagonist, not a living god who warps the world around him with his every action.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I would give partial credit to Shield Hero just for him at least starting out in a real lovely situation with some serious limitations. But of course it had to normalize slavery and he of course has to have the requisite girl with funny ears--usually a catgirl--of that whole genre.

The "starting out weak/in a bad situation" is actually a super common thing in isekai. They often have a short period near the beginning where they're weak, before inevitably becoming super powerful for one reason or another.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also catgirls rule.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ytlaya posted:

The "starting out weak/in a bad situation" is actually a super common thing in isekai. They often have a short period near the beginning where they're weak, before inevitably becoming super powerful for one reason or another.
There is a difference though between "just figuring out what the cheat skill is" versus "having to actually struggle and develop a little bit."

Sharkopath posted:

Also catgirls rule.

Okay I won't knock it, but in the isekai genre:
1. There's slavery
2. The slaves usually have different ears
3. Of the lot with different ears, they're usually catgirls
4. The characters mostly just accept that this is how thing works
5. They'll go get them one and there may or may not be sex, but drat if that catgirl doesn't try

I know where you're going but if you want to see zero credit than we can talk about the one where the guy's cheat basically comes down to seeing floating status screens and nothing else. Then it devolves into saving up money just to buy a catgirl and gently caress her. Now that's personal development and struggle! Hell, I tried to link it here but I accidentally stumbled on a different one where the main character's power is just seeing status screens.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There is a difference though between "just figuring out what the cheat skill is" versus "having to actually struggle and develop a little bit."

Yeah, but in Shield Hero his shield was totally a cheat skill, and he had to figure out how it worked/get through the very early stages where it's briefly somewhat weak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sword dad manga is entirely unapologetic and unsympathetic about slavery

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please stop talking about shield hero, a very bad manga

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Captain Invictus posted:

Sword dad manga is entirely unapologetic and unsympathetic about slavery
its really bad because its one of those *dress everything with rpg menus and tropes* kind of isekai

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've started seeing the RPG screen trope leak into non isekai stuff and it's really getting on my nerves.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've started seeing the RPG screen trope leak into non isekai stuff and it's really getting on my nerves.

Like what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, elephant in the living room, why is slavery so goddamn popular in japan :psyduck:

like what in the name of gently caress makes that such a common thing in the isekai genre, without people being horrified by it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean it feeds into a power dynamic that puts the lead character, often a self-insert, on top in addition to being a fetish all on its own. hardly unique to japan.

and you can just as easily see these same titles that are coming from japan find a ready audience in western fandom, too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That skeleton dungeon manwha is the only one off the top of my head (dropped it a while ago) unless there was an isekai twist later it was just fantasy from what I saw so the Skeleton being able to see MMORPG stat screens and poo poo was really baffling. I sometimes would thumb through the popular in the last 6 hours section of mangadex when I was bored and I saw a few more forgettable fantasy series that were non isekai that did it too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like Black Company because the only skill the main character has is being a sleazy con man and he almost always ends up worse off than before.

There's slavery but in this case he's a debt slave because of his own scams backfiring.

The one with the guy that summons a baby orc is also funny and not creepy at least in the first chapters, which is surprising given the setting.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 8, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Of course my defense goes up when I put on more clothes it's why I wear like 12 shirts of increasing thickness.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Relin posted:

its really bad because its one of those *dress everything with rpg menus and tropes* kind of isekai

Nah, it's fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is my isekai of choice tbh

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, elephant in the living room, why is slavery so goddamn popular in japan :psyduck:

like what in the name of gently caress makes that such a common thing in the isekai genre, without people being horrified by it?

I always just thought the insane derivativeness in the webnovel/lightnovel genre just causes random fetishes to get added to the formula as they copy each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's absolutely not that, there is or was way too much accurate dressing up as nazis as cosplay for a long time, I'm not sure if anything has ever been done to squash that but I wager not

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Slavery is legal in Japan, it's called working at a Japanese corporation :japan:

:chloe:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wheres the drat Dorohedoro final chapter.