Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

if its not an LED and photo transistor what are the using in these?

I'm p.sure the teardown in that case revealed they were using a bunch of cheap, lovely sensors in the visible spectrum and ambient light with no active emitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ddees cartoon with an eyeball peeking out at u from the hot air nozzle

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

how come silicon valley hasn't disrupted the hand washing market yet

The algorithm says ur hands are dry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

full on camera + opencv probably lol

led, phototransistor, some passives, an attiny and a pot for calibration has to be what $1?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

led, phototransistor, some passives, an attiny and a pot for calibration has to be what $1?

just because that's the sane way to do it doesn't mean that's what they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unlike juicero though these soap dispensers are made by large, "boring", profitable companies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i suppose the closest thing to a tech bubble-y company that makes hand dryers is dyson, but they at least appear to be solvent.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm p.sure the teardown in that case revealed they were using a bunch of cheap, lovely sensors in the visible spectrum and ambient light with no active emitter

probably for better battery life, it just doesn't work very well either

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
did i miss anything in the 700+ posts in the past 7 days?

also theranos shutting down

https://www.wsj.com/articles/blood-testing-firm-theranos-to-dissolve-1536115130

e: poo poo hella beaten

graph fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 5, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
would you like to making gently caress juicerrrrrrroooooooooo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast posted:

how come silicon valley hasn't disrupted the hand washing market yet

the dyson airblade is a juggernaut few startups are brave enough to challenge

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

that doesnt sound like deep learning to me

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fritz posted:

that doesnt sound like deep learning to me

yeah, implementing racism in such a cost-effective way isn't anywhere near disruptive enough

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the dyson airblade is a juggernaut few startups are brave enough to challenge

gotta love how the corporate response is always "actually, in a real world scenario,"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I am Extremely Pumped that they installed air blades in our bathroom and removed the paper towels so now I am forced to touch the door handle while others take a poo poo, then rinse their hands in the sink without washing to get their germs really mobile in solution and then walk out without drying

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
when i worked at red hot entperrise linux they took away the paper towels from the bathrooms and there was a huge revolt and they were eventually returned.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

red hot entperrise linux

yeouch!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

from here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol ok

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
turns out moving to india doesn't make your terrible ideas any more feasible

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:jerkbag:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
beautiful smog choking the city in the background

e: I'm the helicopter with 2 main rotors and also a tail rotor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Why India?

To begin with, Uber’s options were limited, said Yugal Joshi, vice -president at Texas-based consultancy Everest Group. It has been ousted from China and several southeast Asian nations. It is also facing serious challenges in Europe. India is now its biggest market outside the US.

“The ideal launch city for an urban air taxi is a dense metropolitan area where traffic congestion can mean that even distances of 10-15 kilometres can take an hour. Indian cities qualify quite well,” according to Kartik Hosanagar, professor of technology and digital business at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School.

lol sure that's why india

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why india?

because they're the only country with any semblance of infrastructure that hasn't shut our bullshit down outright

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

disruptive idea: indian vehicle traffic, but in three dimensions

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

why india?

because they're the only country with any semblance of infrastructure that hasn't shut our bullshit down outright

wrong

its because when the uber air taxis kill people in testing there wont be any consequences

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i assume that the source for that article had to carefully remove the surprise in their voice when describing the legal and regulatory hurdles that must be overcome for India Uber Elevate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

wrong

its because when the uber air taxis kill people in testing there wont be any consequences

well, yes, but i feel like that follows from what i said.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
death cab for chugai

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

syscall girl posted:

death cab for chugai

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

city of joy only the one dude flys an uber air taxi instead of pulling a rickshaw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

city of joy only the one dude flys an uber air taxi instead of pulling a rickshaw

it's still a rickshaw but now it has drone propellers on it and Hasari Pal is wearing a jet pack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so how do we get from this to the flying chinese food stall in fifth element

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

so how do we get from this to the flying chinese food stall in fifth element

gently caress you beat me to it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

somewhere along the way we have knock-off aliexpress drones delivering sushi by crashing through your bedroom window

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bbq steam buns and dumplings arrive in a blazing hail of plastic gears and propeller blades

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Sarah Jeong has capped off her long streak of bland-posting on Twitter in the most appropriate way I could imagine with a literal Rorschach test:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1037393170743603206

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when im president i will issue an executive order that no bathroom sinks or soap, paper, or other dispenser may be automated and that all sinks and toilets must operate at a pressure capable of flaying skin and flushing the largest turds, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if im president im gonna launch all of the nukes on myself