Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Odd Mutant posted:

Yeah Doom 2's levels kinda suck.

I'm a big fan too. He's doing the lord's work.

Loved that one interview John Romero did with IGN where in it he mentioned he playtested his levels over and over constantly, making little tweaks each time. It so obviously helped Episode 1feel as refined as it was because while the levels were somewhat open-ended, they were good at directing you around to play smoothly. It's pretty obvious that some Doom and quite a few Doom 2 levels weren't playtested very hard. I remember when I first got Doom 2 with my dad, half the challenge was finding what that switch we just hit did and god timed switches while playing on a joystick :(

Here's the interview if anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Switch and door hunts are cancer and doom 2 is chock full of them which sucks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I want to try Wolfenstein '09, but PC copies are hard to find nowadays (they're not as cheap or as common as the console copies).

I know there was an LP of it, and they used/linked to a mod called Retrostein, which makes the game harder:

Retrostein is great, it doesn't really make it harder but tweaks things a bit such that it feels better to play. To be honest the game doesn't look like it's going to be sold again for the foreseeable future so I wouldn't feel too bad about :filez:

edit: if you're in the UK, CEX have copies for £12 which isn't bad

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pretty sure the copy I got (including the RtCW disc) was $20 with free shipping, but it's a used copy on eBay so YMMV.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 2009 is a game that I wouldn't feel too bad about :filez: if you want to play it nowadays since the people who currently hold the IP don't care about it. Bethesda's PR, Pete Hines, straight up called the game crap in some E3 (or Quakecon? maybe some other gaming event around then) 2013 interview in front of a crowd back then so I don't see it ever popping up again for sale.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

And yet they still sell Rogue Warrior

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's easy to poo poo talk games funded and published by someone else for telling it like it is brownie points in between attempting hostile takeovers of developers as was the case with the scrapped Prey 2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Though at least there, Human Head Studios' next upcoming game, The Quiet Man, is apparently kinda bad. Gameplay shifting to FMV in very unconvincing ways, no audio (I see the logic, given the player character is deaf, but nevertheless brave and arguably foolish)... I dunno. Might not have any bearing on the quality of what would've been Prey 2, but it makes me wonder.

Also they decided to rename their upcoming sequel to Rune, previously titled "Rune: Ragnarok", to... just "Rune". Yeah, great, thanks guys.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Also they decided to rename their upcoming sequel to Rune, previously titled "Rune: Ragnarok", to... just "Rune". Yeah, great, thanks guys.

Is this the first time the "Name the Xth game in the series the name of the first game" has been the second game? Because that seems really dumb, beyond how dumb it already is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Talking of Rune, is the GOG version different from the Steam version at all?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

pete hines wouldnt know a good game if it bit him on the rear end

bethesda has mistreated the poo poo out of Arkane and a bunch of their newer acquisitions. gently caress them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

They probably realized that people would a) think they were ripping off Thor: Ragnarok, and b) probably not recognize the game as a sequel to Rune because Rune is obscure as gently caress nowadays.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gloomy Rube posted:

Is this the first time the "Name the Xth game in the series the name of the first game" has been the second game? Because that seems really dumb, beyond how dumb it already is.

Prey?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new one shares basically nothing with the original Prey so I wouldn't call it part of the series.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm hoping this will be an interesting video for some of you. It's about game preservation and history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBqYrmbDBgs

It's not specifically about old shooters, but I think it's still really relevant.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fallom posted:

The new one shares basically nothing with the original Prey so I wouldn't call it part of the series.

That's fair. I assume that reboots are out, so that leaves out Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triad. I guess Rune might take it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Hey, guys, excited for a fully polygonal (old)Doom?

:barf:

My god, those are predictably ugly. However, for a split-second I saw that super shotgun as a blued/case hardened coach gun and thought that it was the one cool thing about the screenshots. Turns out that that's not the intention. Like, at all.

The Kins posted:

They are. I think most of the stuff in that mod is pulled from other projects, mostly quick-n-dirty experiments with the new material stuff.

There have been advances in 3D models in Doom in recent years, but 3D models are such a pain in the rear end to work with in GZDoom that most of the people knowledgeable in 3D modelling seem to prefer to use their skills to pre-render out sprites to paint over in Photoshop. Just like the good old days, but with less swearing at Deluxe Paint!

Oh man, I really like that Mancubus redux. The attempt at more "photo-realistic" sprite work ends up reminding me a lot more something like Realms of the Haunting, ROTT, or even Duke 3D though--but I'm not complaining.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

skasion posted:

Talking of Rune, is the GOG version different from the Steam version at all?
IIRC the Steam version is an updated one, "Rune Classic", that reworks some levels, cuts others, and tosses in some of the new monsters from the PS2 port that weren't in the original. The GOG version is also that, but its price of admission also includes Rune Gold, which is the original PC game and its multiplayer-only expansion pack, Halls of Valhalla, as it originally was, no cuts or edits (just the official v1.07 patch). The Steam version doesn't appear to offer that, looking into it; it's Classic or bust there.

Also, uh, hey, I know I'm shittalking Human Head Studios (or at least their naming conventions), but it looks like Rune Ragnarok hits Early Access this month, so that's cool?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ruwkh8k84

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You gotta kill them with swords and shapes! Swords and shapes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Final Marathon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Keeck füt?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

IIRC the Steam version is an updated one, "Rune Classic", that reworks some levels, cuts others, and tosses in some of the new monsters from the PS2 port that weren't in the original. The GOG version is also that, but its price of admission also includes Rune Gold, which is the original PC game and its multiplayer-only expansion pack, Halls of Valhalla, as it originally was, no cuts or edits (just the official v1.07 patch). The Steam version doesn't appear to offer that, looking into it; it's Classic or bust there.

So the enhanced version is Classic while the untouched is Gold? Are they trying to confuse the players?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any film or tv series that depicted (or showed) a proper videogame without, erm... sound like complete idiots? I know that sometimes you see real videogames being played in 'I Zombie' where two of the main characters play Dead Island on a Xbox360 and surprisingly they don't say/show stupid reactions but other than that... :ughh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Guillermus posted:

Is there any film or tv series that depicted (or showed) a proper videogame without, erm... sound like complete idiots? I know that sometimes you see real videogames being played in 'I Zombie' where two of the main characters play Dead Island on a Xbox360 and surprisingly they don't say/show stupid reactions but other than that... :ughh:

In John Wick they play Dust 514

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-cQHgg7nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMPN1L4IWdw

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Shaun of the Dead has a scene where the main characters play Timesplitters 2. Apparently Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were playing it for real and kept getting too into the game and forgetting their lines!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I didn't even know that videogame existed. :aaa:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Guillermus posted:

I didn't even know that videogame existed. :aaa:

Yea, CCP created Dust 514 as a console shooter tie-in for Eve Online. F2P and exclusively for the PS3 it was meant to interact with the new planetary systems that came with the new eve-o expansion at the time. The idea was that you'd build these bases in eve online, then fight over them using contracted mercenaries, which were players from dust 514. You'd spend ingame money in eve online to buy them armaments and vehicles and I THINK they actually gave eve online players the ability to bombard the battle from orbit using capital ships. It was really ambitious but it was under developed and not very polished.

The game was... alright. I was taken in by the concepts and the promises they had and play it for a bit. It kinda felt like a less cohesive Battlefield 2142 or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiUawDfdJZY

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks fun, shame that stuff like that never catches because a tie between a space RTS/MMO with a shooter would be my dream WH40K or even starcraft dream.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sorry I should have grabbed a gameplay trailer and not the cinematic one (I had a dungeon queue pop):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaXly9SVQE

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Convex posted:

Shaun of the Dead has a scene where the main characters play Timesplitters 2. Apparently Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were playing it for real and kept getting too into the game and forgetting their lines!

There's also an episode of Spaced were Simon's character doesn't sleep for a few days (because he took bad speed) and spends the whole time playing Resident Evil 2 and eventually has a freak out. Which is part of how Shaun of the Dead came about actually. It's weird to watch now considering it was nearly 20 years ago and he's playing on the old analog stickless psx controller.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone know of a newer version of Doom 64 Ex or equivalent that support Ultrawide? The Brutal version does, but the website version of 64 EX does not.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

So the enhanced version is Classic while the untouched is Gold? Are they trying to confuse the players?
To answer your questions respectively:
  • Yes.
  • I mean, this is the same company that's calling the sequel to Rune "Rune".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guillermus posted:

I actually had a thread years ago that was all about video game portrayals in other media, but I've never been able to find it since. I remember the thread title included the words "turn off the sun now!", in reference to an extremely dumb plot point in an episode of Law & Order SVU.

If anyone can find it, I'd love that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I actually had a thread years ago that was all about video game portrayals in other media, but I've never been able to find it since. I remember the thread title included the words "turn off the sun now!", in reference to an extremely dumb plot point in an episode of Law & Order SVU.

If anyone can find it, I'd love that.

It's probably in the archives by now.

Whenever this comes up, the scene that immediately springs to mind is the bit in Charlie's Angels that depicts two kids having a very intense two-player head-to-head match of...Final Fantasy 8.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

It's probably in the archives by now.

Whenever this comes up, the scene that immediately springs to mind is the bit in Charlie's Angels that depicts two kids having a very intense two-player head-to-head match of...Final Fantasy 8.

For every 1:1 videogame portrayal (just straight up showing a real videogame) they make 100 dumb ones.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was cool when Reign Over Me used Shadow of the Colossus to represent Adam Sandler's grief-obsessed character. That was the one instance of video games in media where you felt like the writers knew what they were doing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The classic videogame Half-Life (1998) plays a prominent role in the climax of the film Max Knight: Ultra Spy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ

I'm not linking to the scene because this entire movie is loving incredible and you should just arrive at the scene naturally, as the lord intended, while watching goddamn Max Knight: Ultra Spy

Seriously watch every frame of this Made For UPN movie

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I love that their 'error message' is just 'Are you sure you want to quit your game in progress?" or something similar. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DoombatINC posted:

The classic videogame Half-Life (1998) plays a prominent role in the climax of the film Max Knight: Ultra Spy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ

I'm not linking to the scene because this entire movie is loving incredible and you should just arrive at the scene naturally, as the lord intended, while watching goddamn Max Knight: Ultra Spy

Seriously watch every frame of this Made For UPN movie

I think you might secretly be a horrible person. Why would you do this to poor innocent thread-reading people?