Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone in here know of any games that simulate being a priest/pastor? Graveyard Keeper has given me a bizarre itch - I like the patterns of decorating the church, preaching every sunday, and so on.

And no. No. Hitman 2016 does not count.

There was, a long time ago, a fairly realistic text adventure game where you played a day of the life of a pastor at a suburban American church. I think it was written by an actual church pastor. You worked on your sermon, visited a sick parishioner met with the parish council, etc, and I remember you could lose by deciding you'd just play one quick game on the computer before you started writing your sermon, only to look up and see the entire day has passed.

There's also The Sims:Medieval. Unlike most Sims games, where you make your own characters and do whatever you want, in this all the characters you make are certain archetypes....the king, the knight, the blacksmith, the sorceress, etcand then you have to complete quests/missions using them, while also make sure they live their daily lives. Two of the characters are priests of various religious orders, and when you play as them, you can preach, absolve sins, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Shrouded Isle is a game where you manage a cult to some manner of horrifying lovecraftian gods, and to that end you must balance the town's politics with the gods' will. Eye-searing and full of all kinds of uncomfortable oppression.

If you're more interested in the managing a bunch of people side of things, there's town management games that have a bunch of religious flavor, like Frostpunk. There's also King of Dragon Pass, where you're managing a little viking settlement, but half of what they do is all religious rites and trying to figure out legends so they can do the rituals better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Seconding, thirding, nthing King of Dragon Pass

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

How's Elite Dangerous?

It’s not a good game but I really like it and have played a billion hours of it. It is way better if you have VR but even without it’s fun. The E:D thread can help explain better. It’s one of those things where if it tickles your brain right you’ll love it in spite of its flaws.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Looking for recommendations on games you can play with a single hand that are turn-based or not very fast.

My steam game list, but any recs are welcome: https://steamcommunity.com/id/fanaticalmilk/games/?tab=all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Looking for recommendations on games you can play with a single hand that are turn-based or not very fast.

Trails in the Sky can be played one-handed if you're willing to give that another shot.

The DROD games are all turn-based puzzles that can be played with just the numpad. Picross is a mouse-only puzzle game I like a lot.

If you're set on something new from Steam, check out Into the Breach.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 4, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Seconding the recommendation of DROD. I like the first two (AE and JtRH) the best for their purity of design, but the later ones are pretty good too.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I'm pretty sure the X3 thread is locked, which version should I start with? TC or AP? Also is there a decent all in one mod that's more laid back than litcube universe? I want to actually learn the game and get a decent empire going before something swoops in at 30 hours and murders me. Preferably something with all the trading poo poo and other QoL stuff from individual mods without needing to install 10 things.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

FanaticalMilk posted:

You own Avernum: Escape from the Pit. It's turn-based dungeon crawler with OK writing and good overall design. Sort of cult classic, but unlike most indie bad-looking games this one is approachable and feels like a normal oldschool RPG, just made on a budget. Same for Geneforge 5 from the same guy, but it's more of a story-focused single-character RPG similar to Fallout. No knowledge of previous games is required. While we're talking about RPGs Shadwrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut is great.

FTL Faster than Light can easily be played with one hand even though it's realtime - pause is on middle mouse button by default. It's a highly replayable hardcore rogue-light game.

Lara Croft GO is a fine lighthearted puzzle if you want something casual.

Massive Chalice is like fantasy XCOM, more casual. I recommend playing on Normal Iron Man to feel the thrill without the need to restart whole campaign after a single mistake.

Puzzle Agent 1/2 is a gem. It's a set of puzzles linked by a single story, kinda like Professor Layton games on nintendo handheld systems. Highly recommended.

You also have a lot of indie adventure games. Blackwall Legacy and Resonance are all OK games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

Since I'm pretty sure the X3 thread is locked, which version should I start with? TC or AP? Also is there a decent all in one mod that's more laid back than litcube universe? I want to actually learn the game and get a decent empire going before something swoops in at 30 hours and murders me. Preferably something with all the trading poo poo and other QoL stuff from individual mods without needing to install 10 things.

You need TC to play AP, and there is a mod that allows you to play the TC plots in AP. As for the all in one stuff, can't really say.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

My steam game list, but any recs are welcome: https://steamcommunity.com/id/fanaticalmilk/games/?tab=all

You own torchlight 1 and 2, both are perfectly playable with one hand if you go for a more passive build and don't crank the difficulty up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Torchlight 2 (and probably 1 as well though I'm not certain) has horrifically badly designed combat math that can result in characters oscillating between being untouchable and exploding the moment the enemy touches them without much rhyme or reason to it, even on normal difficulties.

I also just wouldn't recommend a Diablo clone to someone who wants a "turn-based or slow" experience period.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can confirm, 1 has lategame enemies that can one-shot you unless you specifically designed your build with them in mind.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

What's the best recent dungeon builder? The Dungeons series, War for the Overworld, or something else?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EightDeer posted:

What's the best recent dungeon builder? The Dungeons series, War for the Overworld, or something else?

Probably Dungeons 3, noting I haven't played those others but it's gotten good reviews.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Epicurius posted:

There was, a long time ago, a fairly realistic text adventure game where you played a day of the life of a pastor at a suburban American church. I think it was written by an actual church pastor. You worked on your sermon, visited a sick parishioner met with the parish council, etc, and I remember you could lose by deciding you'd just play one quick game on the computer before you started writing your sermon, only to look up and see the entire day has passed.

Pastoral Pitfalls

(someone posted this link in another thread, I'm putting it here in case anyone is curious)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

EightDeer posted:

For better or worse, War For the Overworld is near-literally just Dungeon Keeper 2.

They even got the narrator back.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For better or worse, War For the Overworld is near-literally just Dungeon Keeper 2.

They even got the narrator back.
But is it as good? I had hopes for Dungeons but the gimmick of "feed the heroes hope with gold and challenges before you crush them" left me :geno:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I've played the crap out of XCOM/XCOM 2, and even re-played Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 again, and need something new and different that will scratch the same basic itch for turn-based combat with an ever-improving group of assorted shooty people. I'm kind of burned out on fantasy poo poo but otherwise I don't care if the setting is realistic or sci-fi or whatever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Valkyria Chronicles if you don't mind animes
Invisible Inc. if you don't mind a focus on stealth rather than combat
I've heard good things about BattleTech but never tried it myself

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 6, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Battletech or Phantom Doctrine would also be worth a look.

Silent Storm if you want something a little closer to Jagged Alliance.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pierzak posted:

But is it as good? I had hopes for Dungeons but the gimmick of "feed the heroes hope with gold and challenges before you crush them" left me :geno:

If you enjoyed Dungeon Keeper 2, you'll enjoy its carbon copy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Pierzak posted:

Sadly neither Dungeons nor War of the Overworld get to the point of being as entertaining as the originals. They do copy most of the elements pretty spot on but can't hold up in terms of their games design over time. Dungeons 3 at least got boring rather quick and for some reason I do not remember I didn't play WotO an hour (maybe it was EA or so back then).
Dungeons adds their own idea of humor to the recipie, which I found more annoying (and obviously not just me, since they added an extra option in the menu of Dungeons 3 to reduce the chatter of characters/narrator) as fun.
WotO copies DK much closer to the original.Actually, I might just give it another try and see how it turned out with all the addons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I mean I'm in the camp that thinks Dungeon Keeper 2 was mediocre and should have been more like the first game, so I might not be the best person to ask. :v:

I think War for the Overworld is okay. I enjoyed the campaign, it evokes the feeling of the original games pretty well (though not perfectly), and gives you a lot of options in terms of customization and extra challenges, especially with the DLC.

I stopped playing before I finished the campaign but it wasn't out of frustration with the gameplay -- the one major downside is that the game isn't very well-optimized at all, and I'm really picky about framerate and responsiveness. Bring a beefy CPU.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean I'm in the camp that thinks Dungeon Keeper 2 was mediocre and should have been more like the first game, so I might not be the best person to ask. :v:
I liked DK1 better too, so you're exactly the person to ask :haw:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I've only played the first Dungeons but I shitcanned it into a hidden category because I found it irritating. The choice to put the player in the dungeon as an actual avatar really felt like it pulled focus off the dungeon and minions and left it up to you to run around doing poo poo. And having to deliberately attract attackers to your dungeon and then make them happy before dealing with them felt like busywork.

I played about 5 hours of War for the Overworld and I enjoyed it, but I did find it fizzled out. I don't think I could explain why it didn't grab me, but I wandered off mid-campaign. I do still have it installed, though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

I've only played the first Dungeons but I shitcanned it into a hidden category because I found it irritating. The choice to put the player in the dungeon as an actual avatar really felt like it pulled focus off the dungeon and minions and left it up to you to run around doing poo poo. And having to deliberately attract attackers to your dungeon and then make them happy before dealing with them felt like busywork.

Wait what? Is Dungeons 3 the same? I only got it recently and only played the tutorial/first mission but it said nothing about needing to do this kinda stuff.

e: from the little I played, it (Dungeons 3) mostly looks like a normal level has 2 layers - the first is underground, and is what you'd expect from a Dungeon Keeper, though without the first person possession thing, and the 2nd layer is when you send troops to the overworld to take over good places, which is more RTS-ish

e2: I should have added because this is important, but the story campaign of Dungeons 3 is painfully meme-y, which can reasonably be a deal-breaker for people. and it's got some super-old memes too

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 7, 2018

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am terrible about a) collecting games, in that I do it too much, and b) playing games, in that I do it too little.

What's worse is that as my collection grows I find myself unable to pick a game and play it all the way through. Too many choices.

So, I have randomly chosen 5 PS4 games from my shelves, and I'll play the one chosen by the first person who quotes this with a suggestion, until I can safely say I have 'finished' the game or I decide I don't like it.

dragon's dogma dark arisen
vermintide
batman: return to arkham
spintires: mudrunner
wipeout omega collection VR

What'll it be?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am terrible about a) collecting games, in that I do it too much, and b) playing games, in that I do it too little.

What's worse is that as my collection grows I find myself unable to pick a game and play it all the way through. Too many choices.

So, I have randomly chosen 5 PS4 games from my shelves, and I'll play the one chosen by the first person who quotes this with a suggestion, until I can safely say I have 'finished' the game or I decide I don't like it.

vermintide

What'll it be?

Dragons Dogma

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vermintide

What'll it be?

Late since someone already replied but I was also going to say Dragon's Dogma anyway. It's a really great game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thanks, for the double DD rec, I’ll go with that one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Even though this is over, I am also going to suggest Dragon's Dogma. I been thinkin bout that game lately after playing Monster Hunter. I used to think Dragon's Dogma was copying Dark Souls but now I see that it's more like Monster Hunter.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

As soon as I’m done with DDDA I’ll be back to ask what next to play. I have like 70+ PS4 Games left to get through on disc alone

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Even though this is over, I am also going to suggest Dragon's Dogma. I been thinkin bout that game lately after playing Monster Hunter. I used to think Dragon's Dogma was copying Dark Souls but now I see that it's more like Monster Hunter.

How are the mouse controls for Dragon's Dogma?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Recommend me a casual, cooperative phone game I can play with my gf. Something each of us can play when we have spare time. Like, I play a move now and she plays her move 2 hrs later and so on. Do such games even exist?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How are the mouse controls for Dragon's Dogma?

Eh. Fine, but it's a gamepad game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Eh. Fine, but it's a gamepad game.

Sorry, my question was uselessly vague, let me rephrase:

- does it have mouse free look at all, first off
- is there mouse acceleration, and can it be turned off
- is it 1:1 movement or are they emulating a gamepad and just taking input from the mouse
- do vertical and horizontal camera movement use the same sensitivity
- can sensitivity be adjusted a) at all and b) numerically rather than by slider
- can you rebind a) any mouse buttons and b) mouse4 and mouse5, in particular

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

As soon as I’m done with DDDA I’ll be back to ask what next to play. I have like 70+ PS4 Games left to get through on disc alone

Lol if you think you'll finish DD any time soon assuming you play the post game endgame at all

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol if you think you'll finish DD any time soon assuming you play the post game endgame at all

Honestly one of the reasons I don't play half the unplayed games on my list is because I have a feeling they'll all take like 40+ hours to play through. I wish more games were completable in under 10 hours. Sure, have a postgame or hard mode or whatever, but have the basic experience be designed to be doable in a relatively short time period. There's so many games these days it feels almost greedy to design your game to require such a huge chunk of leisure time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

DD was so unstructured during postgame that I coudln't get in to it. If you need structure or a quest that will give you pants after killing 5 chimeras then DD's post isn't for you