Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i hope that 1% chance of death was from choking on a pill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's nice patients have the dignity to crawl out in to the corridors to die and not clog up your treatment rooms with corpses

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They even change back into their own clothes first. Very polite.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My favorite line is still "Please excuse the trash that you dropped on our floors"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

I had one dude get stuck in a ward ragequitting but he was technically being treated by a nurse who was technically on their break so neither of them were doing anything. Picking up the nurse and dumping them outside fixed the problem though.

Speaking of wards I was watching some Youtube videos to learn some hospital strats and learned the ways of the Really Big Ward and I now need to take this knowledge to Tumble.

Do you have the link to this? I like big wards but I seem to get choked at some point by (I think) patients only using two changing rooms. Maybe it was a bug or something but I had three and a line of people at two with the third empty the whole time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a summary of what to do? I like big wards but I seem to get choked at some point by (I think) patients only using two changing rooms. Maybe it was a bug or something but I had three and a line of people at two with the third empty the whole time.

That is a bug, they should use all that are available.

For buggy stations like that I tend to put them up with the useable section facing the wall so that only one person can access it at a time. That has become standard procedure for the cast sawing machine for me, it is less effective but never breaks

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some numbers to underscore how important specialization is:

Student doctors (and first tier nurses I don't remember the title) have 80% diagnosis power.
They gain 10% per star, so senior consultants and head nurses have 120% diagnosis.
A GP 2 junior doctor has 90% innate and +30% from his skills, for a total of 120%; I don't remember comparative salaries but it has to be less than half.

A GP V senior has 120% innate and 75% from skills, for an insane 195% to diagnosis power. Keep in mind I've seen patients coming out of a first visit from a GP 5 senior with only half diagnosis done. You NEED that 2x modifier in your GP offices.
Hyper-specialize your staff, because unlike in Theme Hospital consultants are loving useless on their own, only skill slots have value.

njsykora posted:

Speaking of wards I was watching some Youtube videos to learn some hospital strats and learned the ways of the Really Big Ward and I now need to take this knowledge to Tumble.
Links and/or screenshots? Ward / fracture ward are rooms I struggle with.

Fans posted:

They even change back into their own clothes first. Very polite.

It is a British game after all.
Game is British, right? Roads are left-drive, in the public hospital level you're getting your orders from a Lord because of course you are and the humor feels very British.

Hakkesshu posted:

Didn't someone earlier point out that you can reduce visitor congestion by raising the prices? I haven't tried it myself.

It works, although by the end-game stage of a level even +100% prices don't matter; dehumanize yourself and face to ...
pretend I made a good decent serviceable wordplay on bloodshed and queues.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It’s more of a BUPA Hospital but yeah it could be British. Even has an NHS level

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think that they refer to the researchers as "Boffins" which is a uniquely British slang term iirc

E. Also Two Points is headquartered in England

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

So yeah, after dumping vending machines and entertainment AND toilets patients form a nice line outside the GP office and wait their turn without moving. It makes things so much faster.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
A shame about the wandering patients thing, sounds like an easy fix though. Just have it check a radius around them and if that need-sating thing is in range they do it, if not they grumble about and you get a satisfaction/rep hit.

About Theme Hospitals queuing, didn't they officially join a queue once they knocked on a door or something?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Croccers posted:

A shame about the wandering patients thing, sounds like an easy fix though. Just have it check a radius around them and if that need-sating thing is in range they do it, if not they grumble about and you get a satisfaction/rep hit.

About Theme Hospitals queuing, didn't they officially join a queue once they knocked on a door or something?

It does sound like patients should be much more picky about how far they are willing to wander to satisfy some need, yes.

And yes I do think patients had to touch the door to a room to enter its queue.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
patients should absolutely leave their place in a queue if they walk away. that's how it works in real life!!!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Omobono posted:

Links and/or screenshots? Ward / fracture ward are rooms I struggle with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzmANcYhck
This is the video I came across, dude builds a ward so much bigger than even the ones I built in OG Theme Hospital. Getting 6-8 beds in a ward basically means you can perfect any ward emergency that comes your way in less than half the time limit. The fracture ward gets a bit tougher because the traction beds are so much bigger but the same basic principle applies if you have the space to just build a ridiculously huge ward and whack 2 super ward nurses in each of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

nielsm posted:

It does sound like patients should be much more picky about how far they are willing to wander to satisfy some need, yes.

And yes I do think patients had to touch the door to a room to enter its queue.

Or just have them only use facilities that are in the same building that they are in. The only big issue would be cafes.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They should only be in the queue if they don’t wander too far from the door. If they stray out of that they go to the back and stay there until they return.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

:toot:

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

njsykora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzmANcYhck
This is the video I came across, dude builds a ward so much bigger than even the ones I built in OG Theme Hospital. Getting 6-8 beds in a ward basically means you can perfect any ward emergency that comes your way in less than half the time limit. The fracture ward gets a bit tougher because the traction beds are so much bigger but the same basic principle applies if you have the space to just build a ridiculously huge ward and whack 2 super ward nurses in each of them.

I've been doing this all along but the nurses still act super moronic in both ward types. You can have 3-4 people waiting to be handwaved into a bed but your nurse sits down at the desk and then gets up to admire the plant. The fracture ward is even worse with the cast-removing machine; the nurses seem to actively ignore it until there's a line and putting two down doesn't help a bit.

My frustration with the AI has been ramping up so I might just wait for a patch before I move on from Melt Downs.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My favorite line is still "Please excuse the trash that you dropped on our floors"

the delivery on that line is very good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Most of my ward issues are solved by adding one (or two) more nurses to the room. Having one guy dedicated to *pointing at beds* with another guy dedicated to treatment and maybe another for intake makes things go smoother. This is especially important in my hospitals with lots of fracture ward patients, having a nurse dedicated to operating the cutting machine helps a ton.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

yeah my line on wards is build 'em big, have two nurses per ward who do nothing else, and don't be afraid to build a second one if the map calls for it

i usually have a building that's just ward, fracture ward, toilet, and maybe a staff room

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Today I learned I can assign three nurses to a ward with only two nurses desks, so presumably I can do two to one desk, and avoid at least one of them doing the agonisingly slow sit down/get up animation.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You can assign three with one desk. Never build more than the one desk, it just takes up nurses time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:psyduck:

For some reason I always assumed you needed one desk per Nurse.

:psypop:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

For people having pathing issues, how big are your hallways? It feels like they need to be 2-3 squares so that people aren't constantly bumping into each other (and even then they'll tend to just bump around if they think it'll get them to a drink machine quicker).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I've been doing this all along but the nurses still act super moronic in both ward types. You can have 3-4 people waiting to be handwaved into a bed but your nurse sits down at the desk and then gets up to admire the plant. The fracture ward is even worse with the cast-removing machine; the nurses seem to actively ignore it until there's a line and putting two down doesn't help a bit.

My frustration with the AI has been ramping up so I might just wait for a patch before I move on from Melt Downs.

Fans posted:

You can assign three with one desk. Never build more than the one desk, it just takes up nurses time.

Building 2+ changing stalls speeds up the queue of patients there though. This also goes for the fracture ward's version of a changing stall, and it can speed up surgery room to have 2 or even 3 changing stalls.

The other room you can add multiple staff to is the research room. It's worth it to have it even right next to your training rooms, toilets, and a well-equipped staff room because you can have the dedicated researchers just tiering up their research skill levels and cranking out research. (This is especially a game-saver for the money you can make doing this.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 5, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone know of a reliable list of skills that your staff can learn? all the guides i've found so far from game guide sites are hasty and low quality with obviously incomplete or inaccurate information

Not So Fast posted:

For people having pathing issues, how big are your hallways? It feels like they need to be 2-3 squares so that people aren't constantly bumping into each other (and even then they'll tend to just bump around if they think it'll get them to a drink machine quicker).

i build 4 wide halls a bunch but i'm not very far into the game

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
3-wide is standard if you're littering it with entertainment and benches. 2-wide is fine for side corridors, keeping things on one side. 4-wide is where you can throw in fountains for the big attraction bonus.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Here's the patch note for the hotfix that's now live. It appears identical to the opt-in beta hotfix.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/535930/discussions/0/1737715419912789209/

quote:

Hi Scrubs,

We're 6 days into Two Point Hospital being out in the world and we find ourselves constantly blown away by your love and support for what we’re doing. So THANK YOU so much, from all of us here at the Studio.

Not ones to rest on our laurels, we’ve been hard at work improving the game and we’re ready to release a hotfix for a few issues that have cropped up in the last couple of days. We’ll be adding it to a beta branch first before migrating it over to the default branch.

You can expect this hotfix to solve the following:

Crashes

• Fixed crash on boot, caused by machines reporting that they don't support 720p
• Fixed crash on boot caused by invalid timezone
• Added logging to help track down further crashes

Saves

• Fixed majority of load fails (These were mostly caused by guest trainer or room building. The issue was most commonly seen in Mitten University)
• Fixed various cases of bad data getting in to save files
• Fall backs for characters that were saved in a bad state so that they can pick up what they were doing

AI

• Fixed some issues to do with characters getting the nav fail icon over their head for seemingly no reason
• Fixed characters sometimes switching between behaviors too often
• Fixed doctors behaving weirdly when being interrupted in operating theater
• Fixed characters sometimes teleporting out of rooms
• Fixed VIPs that slide around after loading a save
• Fixed Recurvery machine upgrade causing invalid interaction points, which could cause the room to become broken

Other

• Fixed item placement breaking when you have a clock over a fire extinguisher
• Fixed a occasional problem caused by items being moved to a blueprint
• Fixed localisation error in Settings screen (for German, Chinese and Polish)
• Replaced Denuvo anti-tamper with Steam DRM

If you have any problems with this hotfix, do let us know in the replies below. We are experiencing a high level of communication in general, but rest assured that we have eyes on the Steam forums and we’re here for you guys!

Thanks

Hopefully this will resolve the queuing issues people were having.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

luxury handset posted:

does anyone know of a reliable list of skills that your staff can learn? all the guides i've found so far from game guide sites are hasty and low quality with obviously incomplete or inaccurate information

i build 4 wide halls a bunch but i'm not very far into the game

http://two-point-hospital.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_Training

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
It took me two days to get through the public hospital level, it was giving me some grief. Kept bouncing from -$150k to +$200k and back again.

Only needed six GP offices, which seems about right for my hospitals.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doing some testing, it appears that each cafe counter can put out enough meals to fill one table, so a 1:1 ratio is fine. No need to fill the place up.

Also it looks like 95% of the time pawns will go to a place nearest their destination *if they can queue for it*. Vending machines are not queue-able so they send people all over, but building a cafe, bathroom, and maybe gift shop in the area will keep them local. Just make sure you have enough counters to handle the load.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ make sure you make separate cafes for staff on large levels next to break rooms. Or at least deny staff cafe access or you are in for a bad time.

Public hospital level is easy if you just get a bunch of researchers and do the $20k research.

I was at 2 stars on the last level with >150 staff and >250 patients when the game froze so I had to do a hard restart, and then that level's save corrupted and I have to do it over.... That's like 6 hours of playtime right there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm getting very annoyed by wards. I'm building them huge to avoid any pathing issues but still people can stand next to their beds for months, wanting to rage quit but not being able to, while the nurses just wander around admiring the plants. Only way to make them budge is lifting up the bed and putting it down again, that sometimes seems to reset something.

My current hospital has 4 nurses assigned to each ward too, that should really be plenty. They could be better trained but still.

Also I wish I would get less qualified staff, since the Mitton level I want perfectly specialized doctors and nurses but I only get applicants with a horrible mess of random skills.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

uXs posted:

I'm getting very annoyed by wards. I'm building them huge to avoid any pathing issues but still people can stand next to their beds for months, wanting to rage quit but not being able to, while the nurses just wander around admiring the plants. Only way to make them budge is lifting up the bed and putting it down again, that sometimes seems to reset something.

My current hospital has 4 nurses assigned to each ward too, that should really be plenty. They could be better trained but still.

Also I wish I would get less qualified staff, since the Mitton level I want perfectly specialized doctors and nurses but I only get applicants with a horrible mess of random skills.
I just have 1-2 nurses and 5-7 beds per ward , never noticed this issue. It sucks that it's cropped for you though :<.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

For a game all about building environments for autonomous NPCs, the AI on display definitely leaves one wanting.

On the topic of wards, I've done okay with builds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBh7OrbU4fs

Unlocking the gold medal is a big deal. It provides a reasonable amount of attractiveness and prestige without the need for watering or silly idle animations. Plants are a straight-up trap. They require too much attention, and the sooner you can be rid of them the better. At this point, I've begun to think the only thing that matters in this game is optimizing NPCs movement by removing as many distractions and extraneous animations as possible.

Up next on Optimization Hell, the tyranny of cabinets!

Also noteable:

• Candy machine and coffee maker for low profile hunger and thirst management.
  • Hand Sanitizer for hygiene.
  • Wodden chair so the doctor will sit down rather than wandering while idle.
Goal: Make sure staff never leave their workroom, except for mandatory breaks. To work is to live; to live is to work.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 6, 2018

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The real achievement is the award hung from the window.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No rugs 3/5 :frogout:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Some stuff I'd like in patches, updates, or DLC:

-The ability to copy-paste/duplicate room layouts.

-This bug fixed: If you move existing items into a new room you are building and cancel the building, it deletes the items you moved into it with no refund. (Beware this bug! I lost like $40k worth of bookshelves from it.)

-Better queuing and pathing for the AI. (Patients should drop whatever they are doing and head straight for their room when their appointment is ready. They also should be generally tethered in a radius or by building to the place they're getting an appointment from - they shouldn't wander to the other side of the map to play with a magazine rack, etc.)

-Optimizing the efficiency of GP rooms in general - right now the game bottlenecks far too much with the GP offices and the only solution seems to be to bruteforce a ton of GPs.

-The ability to assign a GP office to be 'Initial care' or 'follow-up care.' I.E. Some GP offices are where patients go immediately after checking in, and others are where they only go if they've already had diagnoses.

-The ability to assign individual staff to certain buildings or rooms.

-The ability to retrain existing skill slots. (Maybe in a new room that actually sucks out the brainpower of a staff member.)

-The ability to transfer skill slots from one character to another. (I would love a new room that lets you basically do a mind-swap mad science experiment to do this.)

-A staff member who can give wandering low-health patients a health boost, or automatically send them for emergency treatment. (Maybe you can assign doctors or nurses to wander the halls - they might give the patient some medicine, or they might even put them in wheelchairs or stretches and rush them to the respective treatment room.)

-An emergency ward for patients low on health - patients automatically get rushed to it when their health is low, and the emergency ward provides a general health boost for them. (This seems like something for an expansion where there's an 'emergency care' feature where you actually have an ambulance area that delivers patients and hurries them to their respective rooms.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is it better to spread GP offices out or have them clustered? Once I spread out of the initial building I tend to lump GP, diagnostic, and treatment buildings all together with wards and staff poo poo on their own. I can’t tell if it’s better for AI pathing to lump it like this or to spread it out evenly.