Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm early in a solo game of sevtech (age 1) and i had to stick my head in and shout into the void gently caress abyssalcraft

this poo poo is not fun to engage with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Modular Powersuits for 1.12.2 is unbelievably, actually upon us: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/modular-powersuits/files/2609076

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is it just me or does canola power seem super underwhelming for how much effort goes into it? I remembered it being good before but maybe I'm misremembering

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is it just me or does canola power seem super underwhelming for how much effort goes into it? I remembered it being good before but maybe I'm misremembering

It got nerfed, big time.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the educational edition of Minecraft to run in the java version somehow? I know there's an option for the win10 version to turn it on, but I wondered if anyone had modded it into original Minecraft or something.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Dammit, I thought Awakening was going to have plot. It just turned into a kitchen sink modpack by the looks of it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really sure how you got that impression from the info page, but for reference if any pack advertises itself as having '800+ quests!' none of those quests are going to involve story, they're just completionist stuff probably for loot bags.

McFrugal posted:

It started out with an incomplete storyline. I guess it just got abandoned.

Ooh, sorry. I've only caught wind of it recently.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 31, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

I'm not really sure how you got that impression from the info page, but for reference if any pack advertises itself as having '800+ quests!' none of those quests are going to involve story, they're just completionist stuff probably for loot bags.

It started out with an incomplete storyline. I guess it just got abandoned.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I spend hours loving with timers and redstone and conveyer belts to make a semi-auto kekimuru setup and I just found out I could have done it all with an actually additions dropper with a pressure plate. FML

Also is there an irc or discord server that goons hang out in to talk about minecraft or do I have to tolerate the redditors when I want to talk about modded stuff

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I love the idea of minecolonies, but does it get better than the beginning where you're just micromanaging giving people tons of super specific resources (THE GROUND MUST BE DIRT FOR THIS RANDOM BUILDING AREA, THAT LOAMY SOIL ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH) so they can slowly build them rather than you? I was really hoping it'd get to the point where - if you set it up right - they're collecting more of their own resources and just letting you direct + shape the colony.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xun posted:

I spend hours loving with timers and redstone and conveyer belts to make a semi-auto kekimuru setup and I just found out I could have done it all with an actually additions dropper with a pressure plate. FML

Also is there an irc or discord server that goons hang out in to talk about minecraft or do I have to tolerate the redditors when I want to talk about modded stuff

There are discords for specific servers, but not really any central hangout. So pretty much yes, you'll have to deal with redditors

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Xun posted:

Toadsmash posted:

Hey, since you mention it, let's try this out and see if it takes off: https://discord.gg/F55rxwY

Link is set to never expire.
Not very busy but its there.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I've been meaning to do up a new Minecraft OP that features that link more prominently since the current thread is hilariously out of date, but I haven't been playing much MC lately.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
So, are there any games that scratch the modded MC itch? I already have Factorio, Rimworld, and Oxygen Not Included (I just can't get into the sidescroller view games, terraria included, unfortunately).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

McFrugal posted:

It got nerfed, big time.

Why exactly. It was so much less busted than most packs. I guess I could go un-nerf it? I wonder if I could get ahold of the old files through twitch launcher and see what the numbers were then.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

If you've got Astral Sorcery you can feed kekimurus fully-auto by linking a floating crystal to pumpkins, which will starlight-transmute them into cakes. You can also use AS to speed up pumpkin growth, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

plus the ol' "garden cloches pump out food in the most broken way possible" bit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

So, are there any games that scratch the modded MC itch? I already have Factorio, Rimworld, and Oxygen Not Included (I just can't get into the sidescroller view games, terraria included, unfortunately).

Depends on what mods you are talking about. Empyrion: Galactic Survival is like a much better version of Galacticraft, with a really good vehicle building system. I have been playing it a bunch, its quite fun:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849704

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
Playing solo Skyfactory 3, had about 25 cloche gardens outputting things, a small RS system setup, a cursed earth vector play mob_utilities grinder dumping unwanted drops via open crate into the void at about the 90 hour mark. Transition to daylight through sleeping took a very long time, eating food took four times as long. FPS was a solid 60. I could not find any commands to figure out what was going on, installed TPS Profilier. Saw I was sitting at 5, and decided to see what I could do about it.

I wiped out my Immersive engineering setups (only hoppers could feed seed processors), broke IE's multi block structures. TPS improved for a about 10 minutes then sank back down again. Removed curse earth and vector plates, TPS improved slightly, so I destroyed the entire dark room and grinding setup including all cabling with no effect. Removed Tinker's Construct smeltery and TPS shot up again for about 20 minutes before it sunk down again. So I decided I'll just shove my entire base into my RS system and then break that down and put it in my inventory. TPS remained low despite only having cobble and stone platforms left. I destroyed platform after platform, TPS rising higher and higher, until it stopped at 10 TPS and just a few cobble blocks left in the world.

I created a new world and copied my character over with all my inventory, creative mode to make some fresh platforms, and now I have an even more active base then in the last world though I separated the platforms by 300 blocks and used a translocator setup to move about. TPS only dips down to 17.something for a few moments every few minutes, and I'm confused what caused low TPS in the last world despite having just a few cobblestone blocks.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Not sure what could cause it, but have you tried lag goggles?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Random Encounter posted:

Playing solo Skyfactory 3, had about 25 cloche gardens outputting things, a small RS system setup, a cursed earth vector play mob_utilities grinder dumping unwanted drops via open crate into the void at about the 90 hour mark. Transition to daylight through sleeping took a very long time, eating food took four times as long. FPS was a solid 60. I could not find any commands to figure out what was going on, installed TPS Profilier. Saw I was sitting at 5, and decided to see what I could do about it.

I wiped out my Immersive engineering setups (only hoppers could feed seed processors), broke IE's multi block structures. TPS improved for a about 10 minutes then sank back down again. Removed curse earth and vector plates, TPS improved slightly, so I destroyed the entire dark room and grinding setup including all cabling with no effect. Removed Tinker's Construct smeltery and TPS shot up again for about 20 minutes before it sunk down again. So I decided I'll just shove my entire base into my RS system and then break that down and put it in my inventory. TPS remained low despite only having cobble and stone platforms left. I destroyed platform after platform, TPS rising higher and higher, until it stopped at 10 TPS and just a few cobble blocks left in the world.

I created a new world and copied my character over with all my inventory, creative mode to make some fresh platforms, and now I have an even more active base then in the last world though I separated the platforms by 300 blocks and used a translocator setup to move about. TPS only dips down to 17.something for a few moments every few minutes, and I'm confused what caused low TPS in the last world despite having just a few cobblestone blocks.

Did you check entity count? Some mods can generate mobs that don't despawn and don't respect the mob limit, so you might have had like 200 fairies or something sitting in a cave somewhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Did you check entity count? Some mods can generate mobs that don't despawn and don't respect the mob limit, so you might have had like 200 fairies or something sitting in a cave somewhere.

This happened to me on one map. The map steadily ground down to a TPS halt despite a fairly modest amount of machinery. Turns out a chunk I'd left loaded so taint would spread had 255 wisps inside of it. One /cofh killall and chunk unload later and the map ran beautifully again.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I updated a bunch of mods and forge now I’m suddenly getting lag spikes that run my cpu to 100% :smith:

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Khorne posted:

Fortresscraft Evolved. Actively hated on SA but I love it. Do not, I repeat, do not try any of the harder options, stay on normal if you want a gregtech like experience and then go down from there. Even the fast/easy options will be a lot of grind without full automation. Which is the point of the game - if you are not trying to automate everything then you are doing it wrong and will have a very bad time. Also while the interface and learning curve have improved quite a bit over the years, and it works great once you puzzle it out, it is different than Minecraft and will take you some time to adjust.

I am playing through Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock and loving it, reminds me of Age of Engineering. The loot chests are actually worth opening, who would have thought.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Black Pants posted:

If you've got Astral Sorcery you can feed kekimurus fully-auto by linking a floating crystal to pumpkins, which will starlight-transmute them into cakes. You can also use AS to speed up pumpkin growth, too.

But it isn't as cute as THIS

Finally got the whole thing working, shame about the weird lag spikes

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Anyone got hot tips for Tinker's smeltery automation in SevTech (age 3)? Things that I feel like should be working are not and I'm not sure if it's because of a rules change in the modpack.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Patware posted:

Anyone got hot tips for Tinker's smeltery automation in SevTech (age 3)? Things that I feel like should be working are not and I'm not sure if it's because of a rules change in the modpack.

Liquid hoppers work well enough, just make sure to check all the settings and be aware running multiples will screw up.

(Also, if you get a autosmelt/fortune pick, you can mine smeltery brick for an increased amount of cracked smeltery brick. This is effectively free infinite grout and thank god for it.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Liquid hoppers work well enough, just make sure to check all the settings and be aware running multiples will screw up.

(Also, if you get a autosmelt/fortune pick, you can mine smeltery brick for an increased amount of cracked smeltery brick. This is effectively free infinite grout and thank god for it.)

Nice, I didn't even know about this thing. Took a little jankery to get it plugged in right (input faces me when I put it down?? sure ok) and I had some fear it was a lossy process but 21 blocks of gold went in and 21 blocks of gold came out.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
How do you know when your mod is an unfun piece of poo poo?

When Direwolf20 skips it in his LP.

He skipped Galacticraft/Extra Planets in MSB3 when his space suit kept breaking on Jupiter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah extraplanets is 100% bullshit

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
are there any good tech-centric quest progression packs that include thermal expansion floating around these days? all the popular ones seem allergic to it; i was recommended age of engineering and that poo poo's still using loving industrialcraft 2

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

are there any good tech-centric quest progression packs that include thermal expansion floating around these days? all the popular ones seem allergic to it; i was recommended age of engineering and that poo poo's still using loving industrialcraft 2

The most recent one is Enigmatica 2. It's got quest progression. I'm playing the expert skyblock one because I hate myself, but there are non-skyblock versions too.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Come play Disasterpiece Theater 6!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The most recent one is Enigmatica 2. It's got quest progression. I'm playing the expert skyblock one because I hate myself, but there are non-skyblock versions too.

Note: only the "expert" versions of Enigmatica 2 have progression. The base modpack is kitchen sink with 800 quests, I assume half of which are just "craft everything in this mod"

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 9, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

President Ark posted:

Age of Engineering was made before Thermal Expansion had finished its overhaul and come out for the later patches.

Seconding Enigmatica 2. Specifically Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock. It has a lot nicer a progression than Modern Skyblock 2 imo, but has almost every mod on 1.12 currently, which means progression weaves (briefly) through IC2 and Nuclearcraft, as well as Botania/Astral Sorcery/Thaumcraft/Blood Magic.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 9, 2018

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I'm playing the non-skyblock Expert and yeah, it's really good, probably the best pack I've played. Age of Engineering is great but very dry. There's no extra colour to the world and progression happens in big steps. A couple of the later mods are a bit buggy too and seem to exist only to pad out the pack and lengthen it. I've no idea why you have to manually do bees with no Gendustry in a pack based on tech either.

Enigmatica 2 Expert has a lot more freedom to it, pretty much everything I've done so far has been for quality-of-life reasons rather than because I'm grinding my way through progression. Having Veinminer means that mining is really trivial from the get go and is overall not as grindy as other packs in terms of "you need 65000 copper to make this thing". You can storm through the first two tiers of tech mods pretty quickly meaning you get a lot of loot chests and the most common reward is high tier Pam's food so farming isn't important unless you want it to be. The rare rewards are very nice as well, things like unbreakable builder's wands, high tier Mekanism solar panels, RFTools crafters etc. Cyclic stuff is really cheap and available from the start so you can do a ton of automation with just that and Xnet. The weird Cyclic items are useful too like the Ender Book or the Spawner Finder. Exploration isn't mandatory but is really rewarding in terms of loot so you can do that if you want to, or not.

I'm getting near the end game now and it's never felt like a grind at all. There's a lot of OP stuff available from the start that cuts out the usual timesinks that you've done a thousand times and because the progression is non-linear it feels more like a pack with a decent level of challenge rather than one that makes everything stupidly expensive and forces you to complete a checklist of bullshit to progress.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the 1.12+ method for dumping liquids into a smeltery?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the 1.12+ method for dumping liquids into a smeltery?

pipe liquids straight into the drain

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

pipe liquids straight into the drain

That's what I thought, but the drain I have pointed into the smeltery won't connect to a fluiduct. The tank did, so double confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's what I thought, but the drain I have pointed into the smeltery won't connect to a fluiduct. The tank did, so double confused.

Pumping liquid into the tank only works for lava or blazing pyrotheum (or whatever other fuels might be configured.) I think that 1.12 drains can only interact with fluids on the same face you put a faucet on, so knock the faucet off if there is one attached and then try it that way.