Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
There's also a collection of the El Cid stuff from Warren Publications' Eerie comics around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
There's a comic about a teacher who leaves his baby in a hot car. I wanna say it was by Dash Shaw and it was black and white. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought I read it online too, if that's any help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Best runs on Hellblazer Vertigo? Ennis, and..?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Best runs on Hellblazer Vertigo? Ennis, and..?

Probably either Carey or Delano, Azzarello for a dark horse candidate.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

bobkatt013 posted:

Dark horse already has in the chronicles of conan and savage sword of conan collections.

The Chronicles books are the ones with that awful recoloring right? And I think I read that Marvel will be publishing Savage with the covers in color.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Skwirl posted:

Probably either Carey or Delano, Azzarello for a dark horse candidate.

I'd put Jenkins before Azz.

I might even put Jenkins before Delano, I didn't care for a good block of the middle of Delano's run (Fear Machine and a bit after).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zachack posted:

I'd put Jenkins before Azz.

I might even put Jenkins before Delano, I didn't care for a good block of the middle of Delano's run (Fear Machine and a bit after).

I started rereading Hellblazer from the start, but I haven't read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing bit in awhile. Did Alan Moore come up with the Newcastle incident or is that a Delano invention? Because if it's Delano then it's definitely Delano in second place.

Oh yeah, and the yuppie demons over investing in souls and the market crashing on them with one bad faith actor rings way the gently caress more true now than when I first read it in the 90s, and it was written in the 80s.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 27, 2018

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I started rereading Hellblazer from the start, but I haven't read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing bit in awhile. Did Alan Moore come up with the Newcastle incident or is that a Delano invention? Because if it's Delano then it's definitely Delano in second place.

Oh yeah, and the yuppie demons over investing in souls and the market crashing on them with one bad faith actor rings way the gently caress more true now than when I first read it in the 90s, and it was written in the 80s.

Moore mentions the Newcastle incident but it’s Delano who wrote what actually happened.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Moore mentions the Newcastle incident but it’s Delano who wrote what actually happened.

Yeah, I just read that issue which is why I want to put Delano higher on the list. Were there any details beyond the word Newcastle and a dead girl? because that issue is loving gut wrenching.

Also the first two issues of Hellblazer are a loving hell (no pun intended) of a debut and would be an amazing script for an HBO pilot (or AMC at this point)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I just read that issue which is why I want to put Delano higher on the list. Were there any details beyond the word Newcastle and a dead girl? because that issue is loving gut wrenching.

Also the first two issues of Hellblazer are a loving hell (no pun intended) of a debut and would be an amazing script for an HBO pilot (or AMC at this point)

Think that it was just mentions of the Newcastle crew and it went badly

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm going Ennis, Delano, Carey. I don't remember enough of Jenkins run to have an opinion on it. When I get to it I'll reevaluate. I might slip Azzarello into the ranking too.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished The Authority by Ellis and Millar, man the series is great. I also like that they included Elijah Snow, Drummer and Jakita Wagner in a few of the issues. Also, they never really got into what happened with Jackson and Christine, some weird super powers went off during a party and they said something about getting married. Can anyone shed some light?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'll finally be able to properly finish Fraction's Hawkeye and I'd like to ask how is Lemire's All New Hawkeye, both 2015 and 2016. And before anyone mentions it, as much as I'd like to read it, Kelly Thompson's is still unavailable and I believe it'll be for a while.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think they're worth reading.
It's really one storyline split by a company-wide relaunch, but Clint gets a flashback b-story through the first series, and Kate gets one in the second.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 31, 2018

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

obi_ant posted:

Just finished The Authority by Ellis and Millar, man the series is great. I also like that they included Elijah Snow, Drummer and Jakita Wagner in a few of the issues. Also, they never really got into what happened with Jackson and Christine, some weird super powers went off during a party and they said something about getting married. Can anyone shed some light?

On a similar note, if anyone can point me at any Stormwatch volumes that are worth reading, particularly leading directly into the Ellis run on Authority, that would be cool and good. Thanks.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sanford posted:

On a similar note, if anyone can point me at any Stormwatch volumes that are worth reading, particularly leading directly into the Ellis run on Authority, that would be cool and good. Thanks.

I think the general consensus is to just read the Ellis issues of Stormwatch, as they lead directly into the Authority.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Sanford posted:

The Ellis issues of Stormwatch and Aliens vs. Wildstorm or whatever the title of that was. Anything else is not going to be so great. There's 5 trades of SW by Ellis that collects everything.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sanford posted:

37-50 is Ellis iirc. I picked that up in two volumes from Comixology.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

37-50 is Ellis iirc. I picked that up in two volumes from Comixology.

#37-50 of Stormwatch Vol. 1, and #1-11 of Stormwatch Vol. 2 (plus the out-of-print WildC.A.T.s/Aliens one-shot). They are collected in five older TPBs, and there are two newer TPBs that collect everything except WildC.A.T.s/Aliens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's funny that Wildcats/Aliens contains the pivotal moment for how Storm watch turned into Authority and will probably never be reprinted.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks like it's in the DC/Aliens trade.
https://www.amazon.com/DC-Dark-Horse-Aliens-Various/dp/1401266363
and on comixology by it's self.
https://www.comixology.com/WildC-A-T-S-Aliens-1998-1/digital-comic/477026

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

poo poo, I assumed it hadn't been reprinted and thought it never would again after the Disney/Fox deal finished.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

poo poo, I assumed it hadn't been reprinted and thought it never would again after the Disney/Fox deal finished.

It hasn't finished.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It hasn't finished.

I know that, I probably should have said finishes, but I'm assuming that it will.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

obi_ant posted:

They got their own limited comic The Monarchy, where they recruited a team to battle a cancer that was destroying the multiverse that turned out to be an alternate version(s?) of the Authority.

Edit: Wiki, drat it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monarchy_(comics)

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 1, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, I just remembered this existed: https://youtu.be/pkd5mYvKWig

Any Ameythst of Gemworld stories/runs worth reading?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Recommendations based on a love of the following, please.

Morrison's Doom Patrol
Desolation Jones
PAD's X-Factor
Suicide Squad
Hellblazer in general (familiar with Ennis's work)
Etrigan

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 3, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Morrison's Doom Patrol
Desolation Jones
PAD's X-Factor
Suicide Squad
Etrigan

Animal Man
Copra

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Desolation Jones

Fell
Casanova

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Morrison's Doom Patrol
Desolation Jones
PAD's X-Factor
Suicide Squad
Etrigan

Definitely Fell since you liked Desolation Jones.

The 1987-1992 Justice League International/America/Europe since you liked Suicide Squad (I'm assuming you mean John Ostrander's 1987-1993 run) and PAD's X-Factor (I'm assuming you mean the mid-2000s run and not the early '90s run).

Copra, Gail Simone's Villains United and Secret Six, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Thunderbolts (particularly the Warren Ellis and Jeff Parker runs) since you liked Suicide Squad.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Covok posted:

Hey, I just remembered this existed: https://youtu.be/pkd5mYvKWig

Any Ameythst of Gemworld stories/runs worth reading?

The original maxi-series is pretty good and has some really nice art by Ernie Colon. After that, none that I’m aware of, but I haven’t read the Christy Marx version.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morrison's Doom Patrol
Desolation Jones
PAD's X-Factor
Suicide Squad
Etrigan

Invisibles

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just finished Umbrella Academy and loved it and I just bought Milk Wars in the current Comixology sale. What other Young Animal books should I get?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All of 'em are good. You should definitely at least read Doom Patrol before the crossover.
Bug is the only one that didn't tie in to Milk Wars (and Eternity Girl comes in after) but are you gonna deny yourself some Mike Allred drawn Kirby love?

edit: If you're going all-in, note that for their last six issues, Shade, Cave Carson and Mother Panic changed their titles and relaunched after the crossover.
And if you're curious about the version of the Justice League in Milk Wars, that's Steve Orlando's JLA team.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 4, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bug is super good.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I've got £5 of Amazon video credit expiring this month and I'm looking to buy a Kindle collection of something adult and deep. Something along the lines of Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Any standout recommendations?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Exioce posted:

I've got £5 of Amazon video credit expiring this month and I'm looking to buy a Kindle collection of something adult and deep. Something along the lines of Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Any standout recommendations?

This is more superhero related than those two...but JSA: The Golden Age is fantastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Exioce posted:

Tom King's The Vision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Exioce posted:

From Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man if you can get from hell for 5 bucks thats a fuckin steal