Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Do not do this to yourself.
Please, don't shop-shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The most nicely packaged set of screwdrivers I personally have ever bought.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

:bisonyes:

Best drat screwdrivers I've ever touched... Thought the laser cut tips was super gimmicky at first, but holy hell does it work beautifully

LingcodKilla posted:

I love NHP stuff! I collect magnets because they travel better. Also I have visited like 60 sites...

Yessss, ditto, I've largely moved to collecting magnets as well. I especially love those mini replica survey markers, those are my absolute favorite! Wish more parks sold those. My GF also picked up the passport book, and my long term goal is to get that all stamped out too :D

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Best drat screwdrivers I've ever touched... Thought the laser cut tips was super gimmicky at first, but holy hell does it work beautifully

Haven't used them on anything yet, but yeah dang if they don't feel great in the hand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yessss, ditto, I've largely moved to collecting magnets as well. I especially love those mini replica survey markers, those are my absolute favorite! Wish more parks sold those. My GF also picked up the passport book, and my long term goal is to get that all stamped out too :D

Yeah I’ll drive s couple hindered miles out of my way to get a new stamp.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Blessed purchase

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pondex posted:

Blessed purchase

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:shittypop:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pizza.pizza - gently caress you little Caesars, you can buy it for $5mil

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1redflag posted:

Pizza.pizza - gently caress you little Caesars, you can buy it for $5mil

Or the Canadian Pizza Pizza chain could, maybe.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought Bath Fitter. Guy is installing it right now.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
After going camping in Yellowstone, I decided my 20 year old tent was due for an upgrade. Decided on the Nemo Losi 3 person tent. Should be the perfect size for the wife and I along with gear. I like the roll up carrying case too. My old tent was a giant pain to get back in the bag and the bigger problem was the length of it, which made it really hard to travel with. I had to take it out of the bag to get it to fit in my largest suitcase. This one will fit in easily.

I also got my first bike in probably 15+ years. Fuji Jari gravel bike.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Where’d you camp in Yellowstone? I ‘at be out there next week on my way to Butte.

I got my Highlander a tuneup for my cross-country drive. Fluids changed, tires rotated & aligned, and a nice car wash before it gets completely splattered with highway bugs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Where’d you camp in Yellowstone? I ‘at be out there next week on my way to Butte.

I got my Highlander a tuneup for my cross-country drive. Fluids changed, tires rotated & aligned, and a nice car wash before it gets completely splattered with highway bugs.

We spent one night in Grant Village and one night in Norris. Reservations were super hard to get in July. Probably a lot easier now that school is back in. We also spent one night down in Grand Teton at Gros Ventre.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

The issue with buying wera stuff is that it is habit forming, you will be buying more soon. The interchangeable blade drivers are really good.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

HERAK posted:

The issue with buying wera stuff is that it is habit forming, you will be buying more soon. The interchangeable blade drivers are really good.

I own a bunch of Wera stuff myself, but unfortunately I've discovered recently that I really prefer the Wiha style of handles. But I can't really convince myself to replace hundreds of dollars' worth of perfectly functional screwdrivers in one go.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

how many screwdrivers does one man need? laughed the fool

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ArmZ posted:

how many screwdrivers does one man need? laughed the fool

A lot more than you'd think - it drives me up the wall that people use the wrong size of screwdrivers, especially flats. So you gotta have a set of flats. And Phillips and Pozidrive are not the same thing, so that's one set of each. Plus, bits drivers are for plebs, interchangeable blades are where it's at, so you gotta have a set of that for the times you can't be bothered to faff about with multiple screwdrivers. And you gotta have at least one adjustable torque driver, for the sensitive stuff. And a set of micro drivers for electronics and poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArmZ posted:

how many screwdrivers does one man need?

I'd say 30.

e: :lol: @ having separate sets of Phillips and Pozidrive I mean get the gently caress out of here.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd say 30.

e: :lol: @ having separate sets of Phillips and Pozidrive I mean get the gently caress out of here.

Some of us are not finns, and can't use the same rusty puukko for all our screwing needs.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'd say 30.

It makes a huge difference, using the correct driver.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

phillips screws are moses's eleventh plague

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ArmZ posted:

Amen.

Just altered my plans and bought a new plane ticket. Instead of flyin back home after my weekend trip to Phoenix, I'm flyin to Detroit for work :toot:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ArmZ posted:

Let me introduce you to Torx screws. :devil:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Let me introduce you to Torx screws. :devil:

Torx screws are wonderful, and the only type of screw I haven't had slip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You really have to work to strip a Robertson, if you’re using the right size of bit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

evobatman posted:

Torx screws are wonderful, and the only type of screw I haven't had slip.

I enjoyed having to buy security torx to take apart a vacuum cleaner. You think you have all the bits you need and you do, until the next project.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

You really have to work to strip a Robertson, if you’re using the right size of bit.

While it is important to use the correct tool the main reason one strips a drive is because the tool you are using has a higher hardness than the fastener itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know Assy exists but I've literally never seen an Assy-head screw or driver in the wild. Welp that was my Assy story thanks for reading.

e: Oh it's actually called AW but it's used on Assy screws.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well... Looked up Robertson drive and have now returned to this tab after my 2 hour Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Thanks thread!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

stevewm posted:

Well... Looked up Robertson drive and have now returned to this tab after my 2 hour Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Thanks thread!

I'm having trouble trying to think of why Robertson exists when there's hex.

I just dropped way too much money, but it's gonna own

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

OniPanda posted:

One can ask that about all the different drive types out there. There are more than a dozen out there. All depends on the application of the fastener that you are using.
Also, someone invited another type of drive and the industry liked it and are using it.

Why a Roberston (Square) drive over a hex?
Square drive offers high driving torque and little cam-out (the tool slips out). Hex drives are prone to rounding off; the edges within the drive smooth out due to wrong tool size or to much torque.

Most of the square drives I see usually are slotted-square drive. The square is used by the manufacturer to drive while the slot is used by the end user.

best I can come up with. I work in the fastener industry but only as salesperson so my quality knowledge is limited.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

OniPanda posted:

I don't like how easily hex will round off. You really have to be careful getting the tool to seat in there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Robertson owns when you're driving a gently caress-ton of big deck screws and you don't want to worry about stripping anything.

Plus, :canada:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MA-Horus posted:

Robertson owns when you're driving a gently caress-ton of big deck screws and you don't want to worry about stripping anything.

Plus, :canada:

In the US, most deck screws use Torx. But same concept applies. The screw stays on the screw head even without needing it to be magnetized fairly easily, you can apply a good amount of torque to screw them just below the surface of the wood, and since only the screw head of the exact size will fit, there's very little chance to cam out and round it off like with philips and even hex.

My main problem with all these different types of drivers and screw heads is that it's hard to find the drive-style i want in the head-style I want easily. Usually because of "inertia," certain screw/bolt/screw-head styles stick with certain types of drivers just because that's how it always has been.

For example, I needed some regular machine screws with countersunk heads . I would have preferred Torx because the torque setting on them was high enough I was afraid of rounding off one with a hex/allen screw head, and that's exactly what happened. If I ever have to remove it (which I probably will at some point,) it'll be a huge PITA...because it's countersunk, it'll be VERY hard to just use a Dremel to cut a slot in it...and even if I can, I doubt a slotted driver could unscrew it since it's torqued down pretty good...I'll probably have to drill it out.

I know I can get countersunk Torx, but I've only seen them online, I looked in a local Ace, and a nearby Lowe's and could only get Philips or Hex countersunk, and I really needed them that day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

Why a Roberston (Square) drive over a hex?

Square is for water, hex is for oil.

gently caress, was it the other way around?

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
Fun thing I always remember when Robertson is mentioned, shamelessly copied from wiki:

"The Fisher Body company, which made the car bodies for the Ford Motor Company, was one of Robertson's first customers and used over 700 Robertson screws in its Model T car. Henry Ford, after finding that the screw saved him about 2 hours of work for each car, attempted to get an exclusive license for the use and manufacture of the Robertson screw in the US. He was turned down by Robertson who felt it was not in his best interest and shortly after that, Ford found that Henry F. Phillips had invented another kind of socket screw and had no such reservations. Although the Robertson screw is most popular in Canada, it is used extensively in boat building because it tends not to slip and damage material, it can be used with one hand, and it is much easier to remove/replace after weathering."

Being better for the job doesn't always matter, and once something is the norm, well.....

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bought an All-Clad stainless steel triply ply pan for $70 on Amazon. Normally goes for $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Tickets to a movie and some musicals

Tonight:

Next month:

February:

Next August: