Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

The apex of terraforming is making black holes colonizable.

What was will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Motherhonkin' moustaches. :stare:

When robots rule the world, Tom Selleck will be king.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

I assume that is assembly work, affecting how fast your robots grow.
Yup, so what's the screwdriver + wrench where happiness is usually?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hopefully the trophies require very little housing so I can just cram a ton of them onto a planet for maximum unity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm curious about the biotrophies committing crimes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Some people need to feel like they're beating the system so the robits construct elaborate jailbreak larps, system "flaws" allowing a "secret" black market etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But that'd be part of the normal system! This would imply that the biotrophies are committing crimes that contribute to unrest.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hobbesmaster posted:

But that'd be part of the normal system! This would imply that the biotrophies are committing crimes that contribute to unrest.

Morpheus is at it again, with all that crazy talk about The One.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agent Smith except he just wants to give you some ice cream

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

THE BAR posted:

Motherhonkin' moustaches. :stare:
Rouge Servitors will be just like the world of Logan's Run. Everyone will be trapped in the 70s forever. I hope you all like jump suits.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I guess bio-trophies will require a lot of consumer goods, right? If there’s a shortage you could have “bio-autonomists” as a crime pop for trophies who want to be free and negatively affect unity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

Well if we're going to be serious about it yes, there would probably be some kind of resistance trying to free the rest (whether they like it or not).

A Biological Intelligence Uprising event unique to rogue servitors (and maybe cyborgs) would be legitimately cool though.

e: Biotrophy crimes are not eating your second ice-cream and refusing to get enough sleep.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So is now a pretty solid time to jump into the game? I have been staying up to date on DLC because I do for all the paradox games, but haven't put any time into this one yet.

Getting that space fever though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think a lot of people here who’ve played consistently might say wait for the upcoming patch/DLC because it’s changing a lot of stuff people seem excited about. As someone else who’s basically just starting the game for the first time since launch month or so though I’d say go for it. I’m having a ton of fun. Get in there and experience tiles so you can appreciate Wiz even more when they go poof in the near future.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anno posted:

I think a lot of people here who’ve played consistently might say wait for the upcoming patch/DLC because it’s changing a lot of stuff people seem excited about. As someone else who’s basically just starting the game for the first time since launch month or so though I’d say go for it. I’m having a ton of fun. Get in there and experience tiles so you can appreciate Wiz even more when they go poof in the near future.

Wait Wiz is going somewhere?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Meridian posted:

Wait Wiz is going somewhere?

No, tiles are going somewhere.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Freudian posted:

No, tiles are going somewhere.

Oh right, missed that somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Yup, so what's the screwdriver + wrench where happiness is usually?

That's what I was meaning.

Unless it's some kind of replacement for happiness on robots, servicing quality or something. Robo amenities.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

The apex of terraforming is making black holes colonizable.

What actually transpires beneath the veil of the event horizon? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Play game, enjoy game, gradually become aware of the limitations and frustrations of the tile system just in time for them to turn into motes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Stellaris 2.2: The Mote in God's Tile

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

hobbesmaster posted:

Friend Computer has detected the presence of Commie traitors in the complex.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Man that output (The things next to the >>> arrows) looks really cluttered. I wonder if that's going to become an issue when modding.

Edit: I'm really hoping to be able to rename the bio-trophies and robots 'jobs' and such.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 5, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I'm assuming/hoping it's only cluttered like that for the condensed view, and that expanding it to see individual jobs instead of strata makes things more reasonable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

I'm assuming/hoping it's only cluttered like that for the condensed view, and that expanding it to see individual jobs instead of strata makes things more reasonable.

I'm not sure the point of the condense view then because it's so cluttered as to be useless.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You don't do anything on that screen anyway. It's not like you drag people from job to job manually based on what you want to produce - those icons are pure fluff anyway. The important data is on the big overview screen where you actually make decisions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not sure the point of the condense view then because it's so cluttered as to be useless.
At the least it's an at-a-glance summary of who makes what. "I need more energy, who makes energy again, oh it's workers I'll go find a top heavy planet and make some more energy guys".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure there will be a "tiny" interface mod within days that condenses the screens so you don't have to scroll up and down to see all your jobs/pops.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-122-planetary-rework-part-2-of-4.1115992/

If you check out the expanded view picture its much more reasonable. The cluttered view is from before you drill down, presumably so you know which to expand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It seems like honestly with that much info it might be nice to have a fullscreen version of the window.

One thing I don't entirely like about the stellaris UI is that all the windows are arbitrary sizes and you can't change any of them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah I'd really like to be able to resize and even minimise windows.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

It seems like honestly with that much info it might be nice to have a fullscreen version of the window.

One thing I don't entirely like about the stellaris UI is that all the windows are arbitrary sizes and you can't change any of them.

Stellaris is a game you can really enjoy without mods, but there's so many good interface mods. Little things like all the "tiny X" interface mods, simple obvious poo poo like making the research screen taller so you don't have to scroll. Some of it is a matter of taste and sometimes I think the "little X" mods make things too small and get rid of too many graphics, but stuff like making the research screen able to fit 5+ techs without any getting lost seems obvious.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Much like getting a game on 5 CD's instead of 1 DVD 15 years ago, today we are still hampered by the 5% of computer users who insist on continuing to use their 15 inch 720p monitor.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it's also reasonable to assume that that fiddly kind of stuff will just be better by the time this launches. For any fault the game's UI has, piling lots of little icons into too small of a space isn't usually a problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really does like using very small windows with very big scroll bars though.

I'm not doing anything else when I'm looking at the planet screen, you can let it take up a lot more space, really. It's a bit daft me staring at the corner of the screen to do complex tasks.

I don't post like this:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wouldn't call my posting a complex task.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Nessus posted:

A lot of this is just "gameplay logic" but I figure the outposts always represented like the one big exploitable thing on that planet, with the rest being completely ignored. But - and I can hear people already typing 'ah but consumer goods already covers this' - you could consider that a colony is probably giving you its NET minerals, not the gross, and is breaking a piece off for internal consumption, with the reward being flexibility, increased soft military power, etc.

Yeh that's a good way of looking at it. It would also mean that there would be an enormous increase in habitable worlds once you unlock robots. Could you imagine basically unlocking every planet in the galaxy bar gas giants. it would be pretty OP. I don't know how it would work with the new planet system though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

One thing I guess I would like the UI to do better is teach me about ethics attraction. Not everything seems to be empire wide, right? Some are just local to the planet? I'm trying to determine how best to get rid of some of these xenophobe/militarist pops from my otherwise happy xenophile/spiritualist empire. Do I just suppress their factions?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

Agent Smith except he just wants to give you some ice cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

And that is exactly the reason why I only play as rogue servitors in this game.