Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm going to Ridgewood tomorrow. I'm not really looking forward to it but at least it's a hospitality tent badge so it's free entry and free food and beverage.

I'm a Tiger guy but I'm really not interested in the 10 deep galleries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tourney recap - Ridgewood is a very hilly course and the greens look impossible.

We were in the tent on the 14th green so saw Tiger’s birdie there which was cool. I’ve never experience that kind of silence on a golf hole before, it was dead silent for his putt.

I’ll put up a couple pics when I get home or tomorrow morning.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You should have followed Dechambeau around yelling “You suck!” while he was swinging ala Happy Gilmore.

I just got home from walking 9 at my course, practicing some stuff since it was a nice evening and nobody was behind me. On one par five I hit two balls from 208 and put them both 6-8 feet from the cup. Then I dropped two balls at 135 from the hole and missed the green twice with a pitching wedge. Golf!

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 27, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ah, golf. Front nine, could not find the green. I was hitting well, just missing the green...but as a result i was also faced with difficult chips with not much green in play. Knocked down some beautiful lob shots, so I had 4 or 5 par putts of 6 to 8 feet. I missed them all. I was 6 over after 7 holes, in spite of hitting the ball pretty well. Managed a couple of good holes at 17 and 18 (back nine start), so made the turn at 6 over. Missed birdie putts inside 10 feet on 1 and 2, missed a par save inside 10 feet on 3, finally started putting well on 4, and birdied 8 and 9 to finish at 6 over for the round. My lowest round of the year, and i left so many strokes on the course.

20180828_154805 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 28, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Have some lovely iPhone pictures of Tiger from Sunday.

Before Tiger

Approach Shot

Tiger Effect

Deafening Silence

After Tiger

The first pic was about an hour before Tiger made it to that green, the last about 45 minutes after he played the hole. The guy in the first picture is a marshal.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my dad is coming down on a little vacation in October and one of his bucket list courses is Bay Hill, he played it 30 years ago in a tournament, so I just booked a stay/play for while he is here. Super excited to play as it's one of my bucket list courses as well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Any NJ people interested in a charity tournament on Monday, 9/17? Event is at Eagle Ridge Golf Club in Lakewood, NJ (https://www.eagleridgegolf.com/).

$600 per foursome, $150 each. Lots of raffle prizes and stuff including a 4 day / 3 night vacation package at Trump Doral in Miami. This trip will include hotel, unlimited golf for 2, including a round on the Blue Monster. Also have 2 tickets to the Sunday round of the PGA Championship in Bethpage in May.

I think you can try to win a car with a hole in 1 as well. Typical stuff. Includes a buffet lunch. Tee off 8am.

My friend runs this, it’s the 2nd year for this event. His sister in law has breast cancer so he started this last year. All money goes to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

If you are interested PM me.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's playoff time in leagues.

On Monday, I missed a three footer on the last hole to tie the match. I read break and there wasn't any.

On Tuesday, I subbed in for an injured guy and three putted from 15 feet to lose the match by a stroke.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Any NJ people interested in a charity tournament on Monday, 9/17? Event is at Eagle Ridge Golf Club in Lakewood, NJ (https://www.eagleridgegolf.com/).

$600 per foursome, $150 each. Lots of raffle prizes and stuff including a 4 day / 3 night vacation package at Trump Doral in Miami. This trip will include hotel, unlimited golf for 2, including a round on the Blue Monster. Also have 2 tickets to the Sunday round of the PGA Championship in Bethpage in May.

I think you can try to win a car with a hole in 1 as well. Typical stuff. Includes a buffet lunch. Tee off 8am.

My friend runs this, it’s the 2nd year for this event. His sister in law has breast cancer so he started this last year. All money goes to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

If you are interested PM me.

Bah, wish it wasn't a Monday, that's only 40 minutes from me. I'd struggle to get any of my cheap rear end friends to play at that rate but that's neither here nor there.

Where in Jersey are you from? I'm in Mercer County so that's a straight shot down 195.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Bah, wish it wasn't a Monday, that's only 40 minutes from me. I'd struggle to get any of my cheap rear end friends to play at that rate but that's neither here nor there.

Where in Jersey are you from? I'm in Mercer County so that's a straight shot down 195.

I live in Toms River, I’m a mile from that course and I play Bey Lea mostly cuz I get resident rates.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Played yesterday for the first time in about 2 months. Just me and a buddy, cheap twilight rate, and nobody around us. It was nice to take our time. But hoo boy was it rough going the first couple holes. I had a horrible score, but I had a few shots that I'm very proud of, where I got the ball to do exactly what I wanted. Man, it feels good when that happens. Even managed to sink a 15 foot putt for par.

Had the huge embarrassment of getting my 5 iron stuck in a tree, though. 90F, high humidity, old worn grips, no glove. Thing just flew out of my hands. Hit the ball well, though. Thank goodness there was nobody else on the course to witness this. EDIT: Aside from my friend who was doubled over laughing at me.

I'm terrible but I want play more. Golf has Stockholm Syndromed me.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 30, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Played yesterday for the first time in about 2 months. Just me and a buddy, cheap twilight rate, and nobody around us. It was nice to take our time. But hoo boy was it rough going the first couple holes. I had a horrible score, but I had a few shots that I'm very proud of, where I got the ball to do exactly what I wanted. Man, it feels good when that happens. Even managed to sink a 15 foot putt for par.

Had the huge embarrassment of getting my 5 iron stuck in a tree, though. 90F, high humidity, old worn grips, no glove. Thing just flew out of my hands. Hit the ball well, though. Thank goodness there was nobody else on the course to witness this.

I'm terrible but I want play more. Golf has Stockholm Syndromed me.

welcome, brother :getin:

E: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Golf Megathread 2017: I'm terrible but I want to play more

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

daslog posted:

It's playoff time in leagues.

On Monday, I missed a three footer on the last hole to tie the match. I read break and there wasn't any.

On Tuesday, I subbed in for an injured guy and three putted from 15 feet to lose the match by a stroke.

Yup. We were playing the first place team on Monday. I was up by one against my opponent going into the ninth hole and he hit a clutch putt for par to get the split.

Also had my first 8 in forever. Hit every tree on my way to the green. My partner got smoked, so I think dreams of first are gone.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My three league scores this week were +7, +8, -1. I must just play the opposite of how well/poorly I think I’m going to that night.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So that Phil leg kick from that awful Mizzen+Main commercial... it was all Phil baby.

https://twitter.com/PhilMickelson/status/1035209460803751937

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

As much as I dislike Dechambeu, if he stays hot and helps beat the Europeans then it will all be worth it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

As much as I dislike Dechambeu, if he stays hot and helps beat the Europeans then it will all be worth it.

Gotta take the hot hand and Tiger likes playing with him too.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Suprfli6 posted:

Counterpoint: cheer for any Euro player he plays against

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Homestar Runner posted:

Counterpoint: cheer for any Euro player he plays against

*Bald eagle screech*

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Why did any of you guys tell me about the punisher drill?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Tiger, Phil, and Bryson officially picked.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger, Phil, and Bryson officially picked.

As expected. Was kinda hoping Finau would slide in there, but Phil was on fire yesterday

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mattfl posted:

As expected. Was kinda hoping Finau would slide in there, but Phil was on fire yesterday

If Finau plays well at the BMW he’ll probably get the last spot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

If Finau plays well at the BMW he’ll probably get the last spot.

That's right, there's one more spot. I think it's his, if, like you said he plays well at the BMW. Dude is a beast and just needs to putt a little better and he'll be winning a lot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Anyone have thoughts or experience with Snell balls? I keep 3 or 4 different brands on hand to keep from playing the same balls as guys in the group (I play with strangers always, and it is inevitable they hit my ball) and currently have tp5, bridgestone, chrome soft and volvik balls. Snell is cheaper, seems well reviewed, and no one plays them, so they're perfect.

It's amazing how a guy will go 20 yards past where his ball should be in the rough to my ball in the fairway, see it's a callaway (not the same one he uses) and hit it without regard for my marks on the ball. I put the volviks in for the same reason (and, the s4 is a really good ball), but the snells are so cheap I was hoping they were good balls.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Found a chipping/putting green at a park ~10 minutes away. Gonna check it out right after work and see how much I can torture myself today.

Speaking of that, and this

daslog posted:

Why did any of you guys tell me about the punisher drill?

Anyone mind posting their favorite chipping/putting drills? I was just gonna mash the 3ft circle one for a bit

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 5, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Found a chipping/putting green at a park ~10 minutes away. Gonna check it out right after work and see how much I can torture myself today.

Speaking of that, and this

Anyone mind posting their favorite chipping/putting drills? I was just gonna mash the 3ft circle one for a bit

If the park also has a practice bunker, dump a bunch of balls into it. Hit every single drat one out. Rake, repeat. Getting comfortable with getting out of sand is legitimately one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Unsure if they have a bunker there. There's only one small picture online, and I haven't actually been there yet, but it looks like there's sand there. Who knows if it's meant to be a bunker.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The Snell balls are fine. I get along pretty well with any of the urethane balls that are sold online. MG Tour C4 balls are $20/dozen and have been around for like 8 years, they predate all the other similar companies by a long time and have changed the ball a few times since then. Their gloves are also very good (Elite and Tech are both worth the extra dollar or whatever they cost over the basic model) if you want to give them a shot.

Lately I’ve just been buying whatever the best deal on 5A balls from LGB is, I’ve got plenty to last the rest of this year and half of next year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

The Snell balls are fine. I get along pretty well with any of the urethane balls that are sold online. MG Tour C4 balls are $20/dozen and have been around for like 8 years, they predate all the other similar companies by a long time and have changed the ball a few times since then. Their gloves are also very good (Elite and Tech are both worth the extra dollar or whatever they cost over the basic model) if you want to give them a shot.

Lately I’ve just been buying whatever the best deal on 5A balls from LGB is, I’ve got plenty to last the rest of this year and half of next year.

Thanks. I got burned a few years ago on used balls . . . they painted them and they sucked. Is LGB reliable?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Thanks. I got burned a few years ago on used balls . . . they painted them and they sucked. Is LGB reliable?

LGB is very reliable. I've bought numerous different brands from them and am always happy with them. In fact it's almost time for another order.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I’ve ordered like 30 dozen balls or something from LGB and never gotten a refurbished one (which is what you want to avoid). Occasionally you’ll get one with a minor scuff but 95% of the 5A balls could pass for brand new, they’ll just have some corporate/course logo or a bit of sharpie. My last batch of ProV1Xs had an Augusta National logo ball which I saved. If you can find a discount code and spend $100 for free shipping I think they’re probably the best overall value in golf balls, unless you can find a trove of KSigs for $15/doz or something.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
stolen from reddit

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought I'd be into Bryson because he's a physics dork using it to win and that is endearing, but between playing with Trump and this quote I'm over him.

Bryson DeChambeau posted:

"People think Christianity is this kind of medication that makes things easier, when in fact it's the toughest route you could ever go down. Because it holds you to a high, high standard—which is doing your best at every moment."
Obviously I'm extremely dumb for trying to find a "man of the people" to be a fan of in GOLF, but I haven't done a search for any white guy on tour that was interesting to me and not found something stupid immediately. I'll stick with Finau and Ancer and Pan and Na for now. Plenty of good underdogs.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Chambeau needs to be reminded that being the smartest guy from Clovis-Fresno isn't saying much.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Dude is extremely unlikeable which is why he struggles to gain any sort of following despite his success.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Any vocally anti-Trump golfer would get absolutely pounded by the MAGAChuds/Frat Boys that make up 85% of golf galleries let alone King Orange of House Twitter himself.

I think if you are a pro and get invited to play with him, and you can't find a reasonable excuse, you force a smile and go.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ another happy clapper pro golfer. Why am I not suprised.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Boco_T posted:

I thought I'd be into Bryson because he's a physics dork using it to win and that is endearing, but between playing with Trump and this quote I'm over him.

Obviously I'm extremely dumb for trying to find a "man of the people" to be a fan of in GOLF, but I haven't done a search for any white guy on tour that was interesting to me and not found something stupid immediately. I'll stick with Finau and Ancer and Pan and Na for now. Plenty of good underdogs.

I can guarantee Finau is flying the Trump flag as a stormin’ Mormon.

You’re wasting your time putting your political agenda ahead of your golf entertainment but I feel that about anyone who cheers against someone because of their personal life. If they entertain me in their arena I really don’t care about what they do in their personal lives as long as they’re not doing something illegal. The PGA Tour is 125 rich, mostly white guys, who want to keep as much of their money as they can. You’re watching a Trump rally every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I seem to remember world renowned physicist and all around genius bryson dechambeau dropping out of college during his senior year... did he even finish his undergrad degree?