Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

These are the road raging truckers you share a road with :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgzHqQMs6ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sorry, I heard this on the radio while driving today and thought I'd share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBNQpgiLzY

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man, old people on the road are loving nuts.

On my way back from Target, I was heading out of the shopping center. I was behind a gold Fiat with a handicapped plate. She stopped like 15 feet in front of the stop sign and it looked like she was yelling at some pedestrians. Weird, but what the hell.

Ends up she’s going out of the shopping center the exact same way we are. So on the last stop sign, she stops way back from the stop sign, and is clearly yelling and pointing at the sign. I guess she’s mad at me? Whatever? I lay on the horn.

She pulls out her handicap placard and puts it on her mirror, then starts gesturing towards it. Lady, I don’t loving care. I keep honking until she finally turns.

I end up behind her at a light again, and she goes into the middle of the intersection and is throwing her hands out of the window at me. After she finally turns she fails to go more than 20mph in a 40 zone.

No idea what her problem with me was. But I was about ready to call the cops on this psycho handicapped old bat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress the police, but you should have.

e: old people on the road are a menace, and there's probably a surprising amount of them who are on their last chances as a driver.

Guess who is responsible for more accidents as well.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 3, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iospace posted:

Guess who is responsible for more accidents as well.

16-19 year olds according to the CDC.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had another fun one today. I’m gonna set up my dash cam finally since the crazy never stops in Colorado apparently.

Was on the way back from the wife’s office and we were behind some dude who was clearly texting since every once in a while he would veer into the shoulder or another lane. He ended up not doing anything, but a truck from oncoming traffic had a completely unsecured memory foam mattress go flying and the guy in front of me completely shredded it.

He started paying attention after that, and he had the mattress cover flapping in his undercarriage the rest of the way. It was kind of hilarious. (Except for the guy in the other truck, secure your drat load).

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Getting onto the highway last night there were quite a few cars backed up on the onramp, which was weird for the time and place. Turns out someone had their car crap out on them, and they decided to push it up the ramp and onto the highway. Seems like a bad idea to me, but what do I know?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 4, 2018

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but where I live in upstate NY, the highways like I-90 and I-87 - people tend to drive in clusters and seem to be happy tailgating and being tailgated in any and all lanes at any speed in any speed limit. Other than just being aggravating, being boxed in all the time can't be very safe. You can say, "Well don't be one of the tailgaters." And yes you'd be right but more often than not keeping a safe space in between you and the person in front of you requires constant slowing down and speeding back up because people drive so inconsistently, if someone doesn't just take advantage of the space you left and get in between you all day like as happens to me. And then to avoid that, you switch lanes to pass, back in, switch until you find someone going a remotely consistent speed. It's just so annoying.

It almost leads me to believe that it's actually safer to maintain an overall faster speed and just get past all these idiots driving close to each other. I'm not saying go much faster than 10 over or be one of those people flashing their high beams forcing everyone to get out of your way (although of course you should move over if someone is looking to pass you).

I get that speeding doesn't save you much time unless it's over a good distance. And no I'm not saying that driving faster is inherently safer. I just feel better about going a consistently faster speed that these clusters of people tailgating each other. Plus you can't even really maintain going much faster than 10 over the limit because someone is going to pull into the left lane to take 5 minutes to pass someone in the middle lane anyway. (9/10 a CRV or a Subaru legacy/forester) And it seems the bigger the vehicle they're passing the longer it takes them to pass it. Why do people take 10 minutes to pass a semi?

I don't know how people drive on the highway regularly or all day. I drove from Albany to Boston and back and it's a good thing I went to a brewery and brought beer home because the way people drive made me need a beer, haha. I can't tell you how many times I'd be cruising in the left lane and someone from the middle or right (if two lanes) decides to move over as I'm 2 seconds away from passing them forcing me to brake. A lot of the time I'll even notice how long they've been behind the truck and it's me going, "Wow you follow the truck for 3 minutes and when I'm a second away from passing you is when you decide to move over?"

Been on the highway too long, thanks for letting me vent.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I certainly believe faster drivers are safer in at least one way, they're less disruptive to traffic when doing it right. Since a major factor in traffic safety is consistency and predictability I think it's fair to say that a driver who causes the least need for others to react to them is safer in that sense.

A fast driver who's doing it properly is not interfering with others. No one has to react to anything unexpected unless they gently caress up. Obviously that means no weaving between lanes and cutting people off like many do, but a fast driver who's doing it cleanly is like a fart in the wind, leaving no real evidence that they were there.

A slow driver on the other hand is like a turd on the sidewalk. Everyone has to go around them, some may only notice at the last second and make an abrupt maneuver, others may not even notice at all end up with a mess to clean up. They produce those pods of vehicles as other slightly faster slow drivers stack up and occasionally start to go around.

Now obviously the gamble here is that if the fast driver screws up that fart in the wind gets a lot more likely to turn in to a shart through a ceiling fan. Once things have gone wrong in a car speed is very rarely your friend.

I'll stop with the lovely analogies now :haw:

yamdankee posted:

I can't tell you how many times I'd be cruising in the left lane and someone from the middle or right (if two lanes) decides to move over as I'm 2 seconds away from passing them forcing me to brake. A lot of the time I'll even notice how long they've been behind the truck and it's me going, "Wow you follow the truck for 3 minutes and when I'm a second away from passing you is when you decide to move over?"
These are possibly the most annoying kinds of people on the road. The number of times that this happens with enough space between them and the vehicle they want to pass that they could have let me go through without even having to slow down makes me sure that it's intentional and they're just playing traffic cop because they have no joy in their lives.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 4, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the lesson is it's more important to fit in with the traffic than to adhere to the speed limit or impose ideology or whatever.

Relatively slow cars should speed up, relatively fast cars should slow down, and everyone needs to loving stop oscillating their speed. :colbert:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno that sounds like communism

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Better red than irritated.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

xzzy posted:

I think the lesson is it's more important to fit in with the traffic than to adhere to the speed limit or impose ideology or whatever.

Relatively slow cars should speed up, relatively fast cars should slow down, and everyone needs to loving stop oscillating their speed. :colbert:

An absolutely unworkable and impossible to implement idea: Multi-lane roads with strict speed limits for each lane. Far lane 80 mph, next lane 75 mph, next 70 mph etc.. Mandated 2 second minimum following distance, deviate from the lane speed limit by more than 1.5 mph or break the 2 second distance, get pulled over and summarily executed ticketed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just wait 10 years for a self driving car and stop caring. :v:

Jerk off or read a book or something and let your appliance get you where you're going.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

xzzy posted:

Or just wait 10 years for a self driving car and stop caring. :v:

Jerk off or read a book or something and let your appliance get you where you're going.

Don't see why it has to be an "or" in there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate being in a cluster of cars and I will raise or drop my speed significantly to avoid them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Platystemon posted:

I hate being in a cluster of cars and I will raise or drop my speed significantly to avoid them.

Same. All it takes is one dude to brake and it starts that accordion effect bullshit.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Queen Combat posted:

I dunno that sounds like communism

Think of driving as collectivism, we're all trying to get to our destination without dying, so let's work together to accomplish that goal.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

yamdankee posted:

highway/interstate stuff

All the reasons you cited are exactly why I avoid the interstates & highways in my area. Not a huge city by any means but enough stupidity that there are at least a half dozen or more accidents nearly every morning. I've had coworkers legit baffled that I somehow made it to work before them by taking a different route in town, because they got stuck in 2 miles of dead-end interstate traffic from some idiot crashing while on their phone or losing controls in bad conditions.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Maker Of Shoes posted:

16-19 year olds according to the CDC.

I totally believe that the 16-19 year range get into more accidents and are found at fault in more accidents. But I'm willing to bet old-folks in cars *cause* more accidents. There's a big difference between the way fault is distributed and the actual cause of the accident. Take brake-checking. I doubt you would find many that would debate that the car abruptly hitting it's brakes hard is the cause of the accident. However what shows up in statistics is the fault, which is assigned to the driver following too closely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also inexperienced drivers will get better, but old drivers will only ever get worse.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also inexperienced drivers will get better

Thanks, I needed that laugh today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

redgubbinz posted:

Thanks, I needed that laugh today.

Fine, replace "will" with "might." There's still a chance, even if it appears to be slim. Old drivers aren't ever going to improve.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Does death=improvement?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

slidebite posted:

Does death=improvement?

I would say yes, but if they’re close to dying of natural causes, I would hope they would have stopped driving (on their own volition/keys taken by family member) anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Protocol7 posted:

I would say yes, but if they’re close to dying of natural causes, I would hope they would have stopped driving (on their own volition/keys taken by family member) anyway.

You know full well they don't.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Here's a good example from my past as a cab driver:

Driving down the right lane of a street in a commercial area where traffic averages 40mph. Guy in a Lincoln decides he's exiting the parking lot driveway right in front of me without looking, and does it at about 5mph. I can't go left as there's a full lane of traffic beside me, so I have no choice but to slam on the brakes to avoid smashing into him. 17-year old girl behind me can't stop in time and taps my bumper.

If I had been driving my personal vehicle it would have been no big deal. Learning experience for the young driver, no cops, everyone just moves on with life. But I was driving a company vehicle and had to get a police report to cover my rear end in case damage was found later. Poor girl got ticketed for care needed. Accident goes down as young inexperienced driver being at fault in a rear-ending, when it was the geriatric piloting a land-yacht that didn't even realize what he had done that caused the whole thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

iospace posted:

You know full well they don't.

I do know, unfortunately, but a guy can still hope, right?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

PremiumSupport posted:

Here's a good example from my past as a cab driver:

Driving down the right lane of a street in a commercial area where traffic averages 40mph. Guy in a Lincoln decides he's exiting the parking lot driveway right in front of me without looking, and does it at about 5mph. I can't go left as there's a full lane of traffic beside me, so I have no choice but to slam on the brakes to avoid smashing into him. 17-year old girl behind me can't stop in time and taps my bumper.

If I had been driving my personal vehicle it would have been no big deal. Learning experience for the young driver, no cops, everyone just moves on with life. But I was driving a company vehicle and had to get a police report to cover my rear end in case damage was found later. Poor girl got ticketed for care needed. Accident goes down as young inexperienced driver being at fault in a rear-ending, when it was the geriatric piloting a land-yacht that didn't even realize what he had done that caused the whole thing.

I've heard three tales of but-somebody woe in the past couple of days. Each and every one of them would have had a happy ending if the drivers in question had a dash cam. Considering this, I might have to pop for a two-view cam in the near future.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOCOZ_8MIA

I was really hoping he would lose it and end up slagging his suspension in the median.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had some old gently caress in front of me stop over 30 ft behind the next car on 50mph roads. So loving stupid, basically as unpredictable as stopping randomly.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I had Granny McPhee in front of me the other day on a fairly busy road. She treated every intersection as a 4-way stop, even though only the cross streets had the stop sign and we had the clear right-of-way.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 6, 2018

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

ausgezeichnet posted:

I've heard three tales of but-somebody woe in the past couple of days. Each and every one of them would have had a happy ending if the drivers in question had a dash cam. Considering this, I might have to pop for a two-view cam in the near future.

I don't know about happy endings. The girl in question that did the light rear-ending would still get popped for the accident even with a dash cam right? Wouldn't they just say she was following at an unsafe distance for the speed they were at and therefore didn't have enough time to stop? I mean personally I agree that the need to stop so aggressively was caused by the 3rd party who obliviously cut somebody off but can that person legally be found at fault?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There's a new law introduced in one the aus states that vehicles have to slow to 40km/h when passing a parked emergency vehicle with flashing lights, ie police pulling someone over on a 110km/h highway. There's a bunch of truck drivers getting furious online about it because of those drat unpredictable normie drivers who will slow down too quickly and force the driver to rear-end them, or that they'll come round a blind curve and not have enough time once they spot the lights.

(it's not a perfect solution but it's worked fine in other states and relying on common sense doesn't stop people plowing into extremely visible emergency vehicles and employees at full speed)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I had some old gently caress in front of me stop over 30 ft behind the next car on 50mph roads. So loving stupid, basically as unpredictable as stopping randomly.

I was down in Old People Town, Florida and I nearly rear ended an old who came to a complete stop like 30 feet before a red light then inched up to it. Then I kept driving around there and realized that it was normal for the area. Avoid the olds.

TurboDonkey
Sep 7, 2018
There are these massive speed bumps @ my uni & I was having one hell of a laugh watching all these lowered “sports cars” rip up their bumpers and whatnot haha... Suckers

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I was coming to a stoplight and there was a long line of traffic in my lane and only a couple cars in the other lane. There was an old redneck in a ratty truck whose front bumper was about even with my rear wheel, so I couldn't move over. When I stopped for the light, he stopped, too. Still even with my rear wheel. There were at least 8 car lengths between the front of his truck and the next vehicle at the light. He was basically stopped in the middle of the road. I absolutely could not fathom what was going on. I didn't want to try to change lanes from a stop in case he suddenly came to his senses and plowed into me or something.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

bigbillystyle posted:

I don't know about happy endings. The girl in question that did the light rear-ending would still get popped for the accident even with a dash cam right? Wouldn't they just say she was following at an unsafe distance for the speed they were at and therefore didn't have enough time to stop? I mean personally I agree that the need to stop so aggressively was caused by the 3rd party who obliviously cut somebody off but can that person legally be found at fault?

You are correct.

Legally she was in the wrong for not maintaining a safe following distance and would be found at fault even with dash-cam footage. The only thing a dash cam would have done is potentially allowed the police to slap failure to yield charges on the old guy if they ever found him.

e: also would have protected me from charges if I hadn't been able to stop and had hit him.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uvar posted:

There's a new law introduced in one the aus states that vehicles have to slow to 40km/h when passing a parked emergency vehicle with flashing lights, ie police pulling someone over on a 110km/h highway.

The core concept is good, but anything that tells people to slow to 25 MPH on an otherwise free-flowing highway is pretty stupid.

Here in the US most states have a law that can be summarized as "slow down or move over" where if you can move over to a non-adjacent lane you can continue at normal speed. In my state the law specifically prefers that you move over rather than slow down whenever practical. The slow down part generally doesn't have any hard requirements either, so it seems to be mostly interpreted as "scrub off 10-15 MPH and ride the edge of your lane furthest from the stopped vehicle".

That makes a lot more sense IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The road side signs can be ambiguous which makes me a mad boy. They sometimes leave out the "or" and everyone loves drivers interpreting things differently.