Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh yeah, I haven’t been keeping you all updated. My apologies!

The display swap at the Apple Store last weekend went fine, and the replacement bottom case for the damaged one that the service center installed arrived at the Apple Store today. I just stopped by to get it swapped (should take 5 minutes) and the guy flipped it over to check the serial number (the serial number isn’t even on there) and I cringed as he slid the laptop across the table toward himself while it was upside down. Surprise! There are now a pair of scratches in the 4-days-old display assembly. They tried to clean them off first, but nope they’re scratches. Now they’ve got another display assembly on order for me (#4) and I guess I’ll be laptop-less again soon when the part arrives.

To be fair you have to have a pretty high IQ to understand the practices of Apple Geniuses. You probably just don't get it. He was just adding a patina to you Macbook Pro. Such a simple mind smh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Download the trial version of DriveDx and see what it says about your drive:

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

If it says failing, then I hope you have AppleCare; if you have a Retina 12-inch Macbook, the SSD is part of the logic board so it has to be replaced; it's about the size of a book of stamps though.

Thank you, I knew there was an app like this but couldn't remember it!

Anyway, I didn't write carefully enough, this is a 2014 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. It looks like the drive is OK though, and the freezing has cleared up for now. Only thing less than 100% is the wear leveling count, which is at 89%. Guess I'll include the screenshots in case anyone wants to weigh in.

Main

Health Indicators

Device Statistics

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Thanks Ants posted:

How do people not think before just dragging a laptop over a countertop

Sure. But also if dust on a countertop is enough to gently caress up the coating, maybe the materials are bad?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Milkman posted:

Sure. But also if dust on a countertop is enough to gently caress up the coating, maybe the materials are bad?

What do you suggest that can't be scratched in a similar manner? Can you cite any other examples of an existing machine made of something that doesn't scratch when ground onto a dirty countertop?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

The Milkman posted:

making apple poo poo out of soft metal has been a thing forever, my 2006 ipod with the metal bowl over the back was more scratch than original surface within a couple of months

they want every second you get further away from pulling it new out of the box to hurt you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i refer to the scuffs on my apple watch crown, ipad chassis, and even a couple scorch marks from when i overclocked my imac gpu as "personality"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an easy fix, just wrap that hilariously overpriced work of art in a case or protective shell so you never actually get to enjoy Apple's carefully curated design aesthetic. But it's under there, waiting to be found by archaeologists.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My 2013 rMBP has been used as a work and school machine since I got it and trucked all over eastern Massachussetts and it’s still basically scratch-free :colbert: .

But I am loving fastidious about taking care of my Apple poo poo and storing my laptop in a padded bag or leaving it on my desk the second I’m not using it. 2014-vintage iPad Air is similarly clean (and used ‘naked’ sans case or skin) and goes into a sleeve when not in use, and my old iPhone 6 was 99% perfect when I traded it in last year for a refurb 6S (only 95% good as that one fell out of my pocket onto some rocks and got its mute switch scratched a bit). Apple Watch is a year old and also totally clean. Hell, my polycarb MacBook from undergrad is baby-smooth aside from the palm rests chipping (which I was too lazy to get replaced back when Apple had the topcase replacement plan and good luck getting one of those now :doh: ). The only one that didn’t come out 99% unscathed was the Air, which was pristine until it slid off my lap and got a corner all mashed up in Year 2.

I’ve probably also jinxed myself now and will drop all of my Apple devices on a gravel driveway or down some stairs or under a moving car or some poo poo.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My 2013 rMBP has been used as a work and school machine since I got it and trucked all over eastern Massachussetts and it’s still basically scratch-free :colbert: .

But I am loving fastidious about taking care of my Apple poo poo and storing my laptop in a padded bag or leaving it on my desk the second I’m not using it. 2014-vintage iPad Air is similarly clean (and used ‘naked’ sans case or skin) and goes into a sleeve when not in use, and my old iPhone 6 was 99% perfect when I traded it in last year for a refurb 6S (only 95% good as that one fell out of my pocket onto some rocks and got its mute switch scratched a bit). Apple Watch is a year old and also totally clean. Hell, my polycarb MacBook from undergrad is baby-smooth aside from the palm rests chipping (which I was too lazy to get replaced back when Apple had the topcase replacement plan and good luck getting one of those now :doh: ). The only one that didn’t come out 99% unscathed was the Air, which was pristine until it slid off my lap and got a corner all mashed up in Year 2.

I’ve probably also jinxed myself now and will drop all of my Apple devices on a gravel driveway or down some stairs or under a moving car or some poo poo.

Lol we have the same macbook history. My Polycarb macbook is also unscathed aside from the palmrest chipping. I honestly have never seen one that didn't have that issue and wasn't aware that apple would have replaced it (I even bought apple care for it lol). I also have a 2013 rMBP and am still using it and it's completely unscratched and the battery is in great condition. I'm honestly afraid to get a newer macbook because from what I can tell they aren't made to nearly the same standard that they used to (based on everyone in this thread complaining about it :(

In other news I finally was able to talk my mom into buying a certified refurb. She wants a 13in rMBP, what year model should I get for her? Also all the certified refurbs come with Apple care included in the price right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

64bit_Dophins posted:

In other news I finally was able to talk my mom into buying a certified refurb. She wants a 13in rMBP, what year model should I get for her? Also all the certified refurbs come with Apple care included in the price right?

2018. Yes, but you're probably thinking of AppleCare+ which you have to pay for. AppleCare is just the standard normal warranty I think.

e: If you wait like 7 days you might magically find a new rMB(A) that's just as good for what she needs to do. Maybe.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MarcusSA posted:

Stupid Question! Why doesn't the system information display the other GPU? I've seen screen shots where it displays both but mine only displays the intel one but if I go into the system detail I can see the other one. Its not a huge deal just curious as to why it does that. I checked it plugged in and on battery power and it displays the same thing.

Also another dumb question but is there a way to set the MBP to automatically connect to my personal hotspot? I don't have wifi at work and its kinda a pain to have to re pair it every time I come back to my desk.

I have it in my mind that if the dGPU isn't in use it won't show on that screen. If you run glxgears in the background or disable GPU switching and reopen About My Mac it'll show both.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Upgraded the cpu's on my old Mac Pro this morning. Not bad for £50 and waiting ages for shipping from china.

Now I just have to get the rx480 working correctly in High Sierra and I'll be all set for Mojave

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Boris Galerkin posted:

2018. Yes, but you're probably thinking of AppleCare+ which you have to pay for. AppleCare is just the standard normal warranty I think.

AppleCare is the extended warranty program, the standard warranty is just the warranty. AppleCare+ is AppleCare with accidental damage coverage which has replaced AppleCare in most (all?) markets assuming you buy it with the device or shortly afterwards, or bring it in for a condition inspection.

The refurb Macs come with the standard warranty but are eligible to have AppleCare+ added for a couple hundred dollars.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

track day bro! posted:

Upgraded the cpu's on my old Mac Pro this morning. Not bad for £50 and waiting ages for shipping from china.

Now I just have to get the rx480 working correctly in High Sierra and I'll be all set for Mojave

Should have gone rx560. It’s natively supported.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Should have gone rx560. It’s natively supported.

The 480 worked perfectly out of the box in Sierra, when I upgraded to HS I started having sleep issues. The way round it is to edit the cards bios so macos thinks the card is the same model of RX580 that comes in the egpu thingy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people have a favourite USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter that works in macOS with the drivers built in?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people have a favourite USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter that works in macOS with the drivers built in?

The amazonbasics one has been great for me for a few years now.

AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7uAKBb2ZFRPM4

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

The amazonbasics one has been great for me for a few years now.

AmazonBasics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7uAKBb2ZFRPM4

I also have this. I don’t have cause to use it too often but it’s always worked well.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Thanks Ants posted:

There are a few with additional USB ports that can work as a sort of poor man's dock. Check the reviews, they invariably mention Mac compatibility.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just bought the new Touch Bar MBP 13 i5. 16 RAM, 1TB SSD. I was this close to getting the i7 but based on a lot of reading it would have been a waste of money. (Photoshop + Illustrator most demanding usage)

Also bought a USB-C hub because the only other item I own that uses it is my phone. So I get to keep my 6-month old full-size Apple USB keyboard, and the mouse I plug into it. Love them both. SD card reader for my camera, USB-A for my two oddball special-use printers and HDMI for my monitor. The hub takes up both TB ports on the left, so I’ll be plugging the power cord into the other side. They really really should have waited longer to completely ditch the old inputs.

So the current TB is physically identical to USB-C, correct? The TB cable I plug into my iPhone is literally a USB-C cable in all respects?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lincoln posted:

So the current TB is physically identical to USB-C, correct? The TB cable I plug into my iPhone is literally a USB-C cable in all respects?

Physically, yeah. And USB-C peripherals will work fine in TB ports but not vice versa, if anything has just usb 3.0 in like USB-C form factor I guess. I don’t know if such a thing exists.

The confusion kicks in if you ever try to use a 90+w TB3 dock with someone’s cheap Android phone USB-C cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lincoln posted:

No, its TB 3. It has a TB chipset in either end, which is what makes it so expensive. AFAIK, the iPhone cable is USB-C to Lightning, so it can’t transmit a TB signal.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No, its TB 3. It has a TB chipset in either end, which is what makes it so expensive.

One of the new features of TB 3 is support for passive cables without the transceiver silicon at each end. I googled the specs and passive TB3 cables can run at 40 Gbps up to 0.5m long, or 20 Gbps if longer. Active TB3 cables can run at 40 Gbps at up to 2m.

As they're also USB-C cables I think you still end up with a chip in one end to handle the rather complicated USB-C power management etc.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Any reputable retailers for upgrading SSD on a mid 2014 MacBook Retina Pro? Stupidly I bought this thing with 128GB and it runs out of space after installing MatLab or any other computation suite. Otherwise it's still a great laptop and I hope to get at least 4 more years out of it.

Also is swapping the SSD pretty easy? I don't want to brick the drat thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Howard Phillips posted:

Also is swapping the SSD pretty easy? I don't want to brick the drat thing.

I did it a couple pages back

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1042#post487213423

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i have a 2012 mac pro with an rx 580 in it. is there any way for me to make osx use the rx580 to decode h265 video without installing a bunch of unsigned kexts?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not until Mojave comes out and probably at least three or four revisions in, and probably only if enough people get pissed enough to report it as a bug, otherwise Apple will likely handwave it away with 'buy a post-2017 Mac please, then you'll get HEVC encode/decode.'

Apple has this incredible stupidity about not bringing up old hardware to snuff when on the Windows side ATI, nVidia, and even freaking Intel update their GPU drivers so that 5 year old PCs get better loving driver/encode/decode support than a 3 year old Mac.

To their credit, they addressed a long standing bug with AMD GPUs not running at full 5 GT/sec speed with a new firmware especially for the 2012 Mac Pro that was included in Mojave PB3 or 4 or so. Hopefully an even more tweaked version may ship with Mojave final (Apple tends to dislike issuing firmware revisions that end in "0.0.0."

Buuuuuut, you'll never see them update firmware for the Mac Pro 1,1, / 2,1 / 3,1 / 4,1 (unless you flash it to a 5,1.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Biodome posted:

My problem with Apple maps is that the search was awful. You could search for something and it would give you a result of something with a similar name in a different state or country even. It was good if you knew the address already, though.

This still happens. I've had it come up with a location in Africa instead of searching nearby in the US. More frequently, it'll pull up other states for locations within 20 miles of me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AlternateAccount posted:

What do you suggest that can't be scratched in a similar manner? Can you cite any other examples of an existing machine made of something that doesn't scratch when ground onto a dirty countertop?

Have you ever seen a thinkpad? Literally anything not aluminum is worlds better for this.

Get hold of a surface and try it too, Magnesium is harder too I think.

Binary Badger posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-and-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/

Apple admitted they hosed up with trashcan, held interviews with several big time Mac bloggers, and basically told everyone they're working as fast as they can to make a machine to make up for it. It won't be ready until 2019, though.

The trashcan was more of the sick joke, the iMac Pro is a step in the right direction IMHO.
target

How is it a step in the right direction? Sure, it seems to function correctly as supplied - without overheating, which is an improvement.

But:
Non serviceable ram makes it a huge price gouge cost to upgrade - that’s one thing that all the comparisons to PC workstations missed.

GPUs aren’t spectacular and can’t be upgraded. Thunderbolt eGPUs are not viable for precisely the market segment who would buy a pro workstation.

Any other expandability is by thunderbolt, which means, you pay a massive thunderbolt tax (and there aren’t any options anyway for at least a year).

Screen is nice, can I buy a matching monitor for dual screening (as used by literally every software developer I know)? Nope.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wooger posted:

How is it a step in the right direction? Sure, it seems to function correctly as supplied - without overheating, which is an improvement.

But:
Non serviceable ram makes it a huge price gouge cost to upgrade - that’s one thing that all the comparisons to PC workstations missed.

GPUs aren’t spectacular and can’t be upgraded. Thunderbolt eGPUs are not viable for precisely the market segment who would buy a pro workstation.

Any other expandability is by thunderbolt, which means, you pay a massive thunderbolt tax (and there aren’t any options anyway for at least a year).

Screen is nice, can I buy a matching monitor for dual screening (as used by literally every software developer I know)? Nope.

I'm the venn diagram showing 'problems Apple thinks their Pro users have' and 'problems Apple's Pro users actually have' where the circles are on separate flip charts at opposite ends of the Moscone Convention Centre.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i stopped being homeschooled recently and i'm gonna get an iphone next year so i'm excited to be anxiously checking twitter in between class periods to see what fresh loving hell apple has unleashed this year

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

i stopped being homeschooled recently and i'm gonna get an iphone next year so i'm excited to be anxiously checking twitter in between class periods to see what fresh loving hell apple has unleashed this year

Do they teach uses of the shift key in home school?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

No that’s a public school thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

landgrabber posted:

At least you're class's have periods, since there's none to found in your sentences.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

At least you're class's have periods, since there's none to found in your sentences.

who gives a poo poo

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yo mods, where's the 2018 Keynote thread?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It would be in IYG, if it exists.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

wooger posted:

Have you ever seen a thinkpad? Literally anything not aluminum is worlds better for this.

Get hold of a surface and try it too, Magnesium is harder too I think.
target

But:

Yeah this looks pretty sad honestly. Are they imagining the "pro" users as like youtube "content creators" or what? No company is going to order a pallet of these things and the consumer market that would be interested in spending that kind of money on a computer is generally educated enough to know that it's a horrible value. That said I could see rich baby boomer bosses buying them to assert the dominance in the office hierarchy. I don't even know man, what's the point? What are they thinking!?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

tuyop posted:

"And on the 8th day the lord Jesus Christ bestowed upon the world a glorious new creation. THE SHIFT KEY."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

i made that post at about five in the morning, do the math dork

tuyop posted:

i purposefully type all lowercase in casual contexts to evoke certain tones. i feel like it benefits a dry, quick acceptance of what's going on, or a more feminine simplicity.