Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Whoops yeah meant county clerk, good correction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

There are way less people fleeing the state because of tax reasons than you think. California has roughly the same tax burden as Illinois, NY is #1 in the country for local taxes. Are people fleeing those states because of taxes? gently caress no they aren't. Hell, our neighbor to the north has around the same tax burden as us. People are leaving the state because of jobs, and because the state government sucks rear end.

And breaking unions, gently caress you. No seriously, gently caress you. We need more unions, not less.

I like you and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Obama coming to speak at UIUC next Friday. Students only will be entered in for tickets to see him in Foellinger, everyone else will have to content themselves with streaming video. He's being given some Ethics in government award.

I will note pols usually show up for some gladhanding with volunteers at various offices occasionally so if you're a Dem volunteer in the area it might behoove you to show up Thurs or Fri evening. No promises tho, Obama's kind of a big name.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

One of JB's companies got caught union-busting, so the gent did the only thing he could do in labor-friendly Illinois: a 180.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Willa Rogers posted:

One of JB's companies got caught union-busting, so the gent did the only thing he could do in labor-friendly Illinois: a 180.

What do you know, some good did come from having him as the Democratic candidate.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

JBs companies been known for union busting since the 90s and the hotel workers strikes (Hyatt). One of the reasons a lot of us were side-eying his run in the first place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 14, 2021

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
That seems like the ideal way to market him, yes. Someone else doing something unpleasant and an assurance that he is off camera some where as a nebulously better option.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1037004679824265216

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone to the left of JB on the ballet, or should I just hold my nose? Is there any redeeming quality to another billionaire like JB other than not being as directly harmful to humanity as Rauner?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Uroboros posted:

Anyone to the left of JB on the ballet, or should I just hold my nose? Is there any redeeming quality to another billionaire like JB other than not being as directly harmful to humanity as Rauner?

hold your nose, is my reccomendation.

But my voting strategy is generally vote for the person or party least likely to find away to take away my voting rights.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Maybe Chuey will finally get his shot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Uroboros posted:

No, hold your nose, 2020 census will make it worth it putting up with him if nothing else.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

It's weird that the guy who could've been the first Jewish Speaker of the House dropped everything to be a really ineffectual White House Chief of Staff and then went on to drop everything again to be a really ineffectual mayor of Chicago.

I was thinking that having a Speaker candidate like Rahm in the age of Trump would've been a good thing but maybe not.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maybe Chuey will finally get his shot.

He is taking Gutiérrez's seat in Congress so probably not.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whoever wins we lose

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe he'll retire to the house he left his tv in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

It's weird that the guy who could've been the first Jewish Speaker of the House dropped everything to be a really ineffectual White House Chief of Staff and then went on to drop everything again to be a really ineffectual mayor of Chicago.

I was thinking that having a Speaker candidate like Rahm in the age of Trump would've been a good thing but maybe not.

I don't think he knew what he was walking into. I know people poo poo hard on him but Daley hosed the finances of the city up so bad that no one can possibly save it.

The next round of candidates will be terrible because no sane person could possibly want that job.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Niwrad posted:

I don't think he knew what he was walking into. I know people poo poo hard on him but Daley hosed the finances of the city up so bad that no one can possibly save it.

The next round of candidates will be terrible because no sane person could possibly want that job.

Just like our gubernatorial race!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

Rahm's always seemed like he's been connected enough to know stuff - the cities' finances were well known to be a mess in 2010. But absolutely Daley left an impossible situation.

quote:

I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would want to be mayor here, except other than to just squeeze the city for cash and then loving get out of dodge.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He spent 8 years blowing money on vanity projects and not doing a thing to work on finances.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mayoral candidate door-jam!

The Sun-Times is reporting that Guttierez is considering running. And the Trib mentions a long list of potential candidates in this story.

I'd love to see any of Guttierez, Orr, Pawar or Raoul become mayor. Worst-case scenario imo would be any of Jarrett, Duncan, D. Brown, McCarthy or Vallas.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

He spent 8 years blowing money on vanity projects and not doing a thing to work on finances.

What exactly could he do to "work on finances"? Can't go back in time and stop the massive pensions from being given out. Can't go back in time and stop the selling of the parking meters.

The solutions to the financial problems are the things that the city would not want.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I believe the parking meter contract can actually be cancelled, the city would just need to repay the lump sum it got . They could float bonds for that but no one wants to

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Mayoral candidate door-jam!

The Sun-Times is reporting that Guttierez is considering running. And the Trib mentions a long list of potential candidates in this story.

I'd love to see any of Guttierez, Orr, Pawar or Raoul become mayor. Worst-case scenario imo would be any of Jarrett, Duncan, D. Brown, McCarthy or Vallas.

Wasn't Orr Mayor for like a week after Harold Washington died?

I'd vote for Pawar over all of them. Guy is smart and has some innovative ideas. Thought Governor was a bit lofty for him at this stage in his career but Mayor would be perfect. Orr seems fine and I know this is ageist, but I think the city just needs someone younger and not entrenched in the system already.

I can't stand Guttierez so I hope he doesn't run. The disgusting smear campaign he helped run against Eugene Sawyer in the 80's is why this city hasn't had a black mayor since. And why the city is in the financial ruin it is. The guy talks a big game but behind the scenes he's a loving snake.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

What exactly could he do to "work on finances"? Can't go back in time and stop the massive pensions from being given out. Can't go back in time and stop the selling of the parking meters.

The solutions to the financial problems are the things that the city would not want.

Yeah, he raised taxes and fees like every year, and got a near election-killing reaction when he made CPS budget cuts or closed schools to save money.

Like 70% of the criticism I hear about Rahm is that he tried too much to raise revenue and to cut costs - far, far, beyond what was politically advantageous.

The only current candidate that seems as hard-charging as Rahm was about fiscal solvency is maybe Vallas (who I have a really poor initial opinion about, having attended CPS).

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Niwrad posted:

What exactly could he do to "work on finances"?

I think it's less that there is a good clear answer to this question that he obviously should have done that would fix things, and more like there are a bunch of things that he shouldn't have done/continued to do (more privatization schemes, more TIF shenanigans, scoop and toss for several years more after Daley, mental health clinic closings, regressive fees/tax increases, years of defending police tooth and nail and then paying massive settlements, opposing marijuana legalization/taxation, appointing people like quazzo and byrd-bennett to fleece us, and so forth).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I think it's less that there is a good clear answer to this question that he obviously should have done that would fix things, and more like there are a bunch of things that he shouldn't have done/continued to do (more privatization schemes, more TIF shenanigans, scoop and toss for several years more after Daley, mental health clinic closings, regressive fees/tax increases, years of defending police tooth and nail and then paying massive settlements, opposing marijuana legalization/taxation, appointing people like quazzo and byrd-bennett to fleece us, and so forth).

Those are all fair criticisms. Although the next Mayor will scoop and toss as well. Unless you find a magical method to generate billions overnight or shut down services without people throwing a fit, the path will continue to stay the same.

This isn't something you point to legalizing marijuana and poof you're saved. The city has debt it will never be able to pay back no matter what new schemes you put in place. Bankruptcy is inevitable and it's just a decision on whether they do it sooner rather than later (and yes I know the state hurdles at play in allowing it).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Constitutional Convention plz

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So if you missed the Obama speech you can catch it in its entirety here. Apparently Rodney Davis was in the audience, CNN cut to him once or twice. Durbin was there as well.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The latest 538 predictions have IL-12 being spoiled by the Green candidate and giving the election to the GOP. Losing to racist honkeys that live in the cornfield I can live with, but if the loving Greens ruin this poo poo

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A lot of Greens are racist honkies who are in denial, and also hate mainstream culture.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The latest 538 predictions have IL-12 being spoiled by the Green candidate and giving the election to the GOP. Losing to racist honkeys that live in the cornfield I can live with, but if the loving Greens ruin this poo poo

Yeah, I'm in 12 and they came to my door looking for signatures this summer. I told them to I was not interested for this exactly this reason.

I also got a kid, maybe 20 or 21, at my door campaigning for Rauner this week, but I doubt he'll find much support in my town.

edit: Can you link that poll? The one I'm looking at doesn't include 3rd party candidates.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 7, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So did Pritzker ever actually propose a mileage tax, let alone GPS tracking in every car?

(Lol we all already carry GPS tracking devices with audio and video on us all day every day)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

brugroffil posted:

So did Pritzker ever actually propose a mileage tax, let alone GPS tracking in every car?

(Lol we all already carry GPS tracking devices with audio and video on us all day every day)

When that ad first came out, I did a little bit of searching. If I remember correctly, JB at some point referenced the Oregon pilot program to start testing equipment for a mileage tax. When questioned about the mileage tax, he said he didn’t have a plan, but was basically open to anything at this point to pay for infrastructure.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm also loving the commercials featuring Mrs Rauner crying about how it's not fair to expect anyone to actually accomplish anything in four years

Funny that they don't seem to want to use his face at all

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
When I'm not watching the Bears predictably crap the bed and snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I am usually streaming TV from the various cable channel apps on my Roku. Up until recently there were vanishingly few political ads.

And now I have that wretched lady saying stuff about how she just can't afford another dime in taxes, and lying about that car mileage thing, and how she'll move out of the state (good riddance). And miserable Diana Rauner just completely ignoring how her billionaire hubby decided to bankrupt the state for a few years in order to break unions.

Political ads are the worst.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I'm in 12 and they came to my door looking for signatures this summer. I told them to I was not interested for this exactly this reason.

I also got a kid, maybe 20 or 21, at my door campaigning for Rauner this week, but I doubt he'll find much support in my town.

edit: Can you link that poll? The one I'm looking at doesn't include 3rd party candidates.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/illinois/12/

I'm extrapolating from here.

There was a GOP rally in my neighborhood park over the weekend. More than a hundred people, I think they were mostly there for a judge campaign. Whole mess of honkeys in redhats.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

dwarf74 posted:

When I'm not watching the Bears predictably crap the bed and snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I am usually streaming TV from the various cable channel apps on my Roku. Up until recently there were vanishingly few political ads.

And now I have that wretched lady saying stuff about how she just can't afford another dime in taxes, and lying about that car mileage thing, and how she'll move out of the state (good riddance). And miserable Diana Rauner just completely ignoring how her billionaire hubby decided to bankrupt the state for a few years in order to break unions.

Political ads are the worst.

Those ads are super annoying but dammit, the JB “karaoke” and “dad jokes” ads are loving stupid also. Is polling showing that people do not see him as human or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Those ads are super annoying but dammit, the JB “karaoke” and “dad jokes” ads are loving stupid also. Is polling showing that people do not see him as human or something?

He's not human. He's a billionaire.