Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

(source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Cutest little creeper :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Echoing that yeah, they may be terrorizing your poor bird when you are gone, get yourself and your bird out of there. Before I had Ivan I had some parakeets (I love their chatter, I don't understand how people can get mad about budgie singing) that I loved and adored. The only real time they ever acted truly frightened was when I came home from a family trip, and we had left them and our cats in the care of my cousin. Bad move.

He trashed the place and started to starve all of our animals. I knew immediately something was wrong when we came home and the normally shy cat came bolting out of hiding to meow pitifully and velcro to my leg. The parakeets were worse: they had filthy water and were trying to scavenge through the bars at the bottom to get scraps of shelled or rotting food, as their bowls had none.

We have not spoken to that rear end in a top hat since. All animals eventually recovered just fine, but my mom and I felt horrible leaving them in the care of someone who would do that. We gave the birds extra celery tops for days to get them to stop flinching at us being nearby.

Part of me screams that your roommates should pay for driving you out and terrorizing your bird, but I know that's not going to happen. Just protect you and yours at this point.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don't understand why, but there always seems to be people that think birds are "weird" and they want to hurt or eat them. I've said it before, but I once had a date at my house say, "I've always wanted to squeeze a bird to death." while looking at my parakeets. I cooked her dinner and got her the gently caress out.

Anytime I post a picture on Imgur or even facebook, some loving wiseass thinks it's funny to say, "Looks tasty!"

If I said anything like that about a dog or a cat, I'd be committed. It pisses me off. (Not that I can't say that - The fact that anyone would think that's funny)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

I've said it before, but I once had a date at my house say, "I've always wanted to squeeze a bird to death." while looking at my parakeets.

Why did you cook her dinner, get her the gently caress out of your house.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

underage at the vape shop posted:

Why did you cook her dinner, get her the gently caress out of your house.

It was a group date and she was my best friend's ex, so I couldn't throw her straight out without causing a huge awkward fuss. She also had a dog that kept jumping on the cage that I did throw out.

Trust me, I wanted to HURL her out of the place, but a commitment to manners kept me from it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

It was a group date and she was my best friend's ex, so I couldn't throw her straight out without causing a huge awkward fuss. She also had a dog that kept jumping on the cage that I did throw out.

Trust me, I wanted to HURL her out of the place, but a commitment to manners kept me from it.

gently caress that

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I get joking about eating them? Like, if Ivan was being difficult I'd playfully threaten to do that, or make him into a sandwich, or cook him, since he liked bathing in garlic butter so much. But there was absolutely no malicious intent in those, and I think people see that sort of behavior and therefore it justifies their feelings? I loved that bird but he had no idea what I was saying most of the time, so I know he didn't feel threatened by my words, especially since it was a playful interaction.

Then again, I joke about dogs/cats/snakes/etc being adorable enough to eat, so maybe I'm part of the problem. Sometimes while smothering them in kisses.

Agree though, I'd shot put anyone who legitimately threaten any of my animals out of the vicinity immediately.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

:catstare: It makes me so upset that some of you have had people in your lives that are so uncaring and casually cruel to animals. Budgies, one of the least offensive bird noise makers (it's basically soothing water burbles), and even to Ama, the cutest sweetest GCC.

I wonder if people with snakes, lizards, etc, have people that are just like "Isn't cat/dog, therefore doesn't matter"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I would be legitimately surprised if he actually screwed around with the bird in any way besides to what he admits to (covering his cage or less cool, banging on my door when I'm gone). He just cannot tolerate most stimuli.

It's the same with my house plants, he doesn't appreciate the splash of nature because they have soil. And soil is bad you see.

Both housemates flip out at bugs too.

Also bacteria.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

The most common reaction I got to my ball python was "ew", being creeped out in general or 'doesn't it just sit there?" Outside of that most people were just offended that I fed them other animals, trying to accuse me of animal cruelty. Generally I tried to make the feeder animals happy and healthy as possible, at least until I switched to frozen/thaw.

Sometimes I get genuinely curious people asking questions, which is fine. Sometimes it's someone being rude enough to ask me why I asked for a mass removal/eventually euth on a reptile. I generally don't interact with those people.

It was definitely a colder reception than "Hey I have a bird" because the most common reaction was 'oh that's neat, does it talk?"

Edit: Your roomies sound like real winners. Offended by plants in the house? Really?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shirec posted:

:catstare: It makes me so upset that some of you have had people in your lives that are so uncaring and casually cruel to animals. Budgies, one of the least offensive bird noise makers (it's basically soothing water burbles), and even to Ama, the cutest sweetest GCC.

I wonder if people with snakes, lizards, etc, have people that are just like "Isn't cat/dog, therefore doesn't matter"

Yeah someones said to me if it isnt a cat or a dog its just a living plant like a fish.

I can get saying that about a lizard or a snake if youve never been around them but bruv birds are known for communicating with humans verbally how can you think they are dumb. Or like rats, the animal famous for solving mazes.

E: your housemates sound like assholes. Not wanting to live with birds or have plants inside is pretty reasonable but cmon its a shared space and there are ways of handling it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 6, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
No joke, after that "date" with wannabe bird murderer, I got set up with another of my best bud's lady friends.

When she walked inside the first words out of her mouth were, "What sort of pitiful nerd would have birds?"

There should be film of that night, because the level of seething dislike I instantly had for her was palpable.

(Apparently, when you tell friends, "I like women with strong personalities." it equals, "I like women who are horrible people.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

When she walked inside the first words out of her mouth were, "What sort of pitiful nerd would have birds?"

:wtc: how the gently caress can you think that's an appropriate thing to say to someone you've presumably just met

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

To help swing us away from awful people, I present an awesome thing.

I think this may have been linked before but I don’t think the details were
https://twitter.com/BillMontevecchi/status/982433006890770432?s=20

quote:

"It was sort of discovered by accident," said Jamie Dunning, the ornithologist who first saw the beaks light up.
That means he has to test out the UV light on some live puffins to ensure the beak brightening isn't happening because of decomposition.
So he's had sunglasses made.
For the puffins.

"This felt like the obvious thing to do," he said
Researchers will be able to place the glasses on the birds when they're caught for tagging and then shine the UV light at them to see if their beaks light up.
"We've actually had some printed in the shape of aviators, just for the fun of it," he said.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Chaosfeather posted:

I get joking about eating them? Like, if Ivan was being difficult I'd playfully threaten to do that, or make him into a sandwich, or cook him, since he liked bathing in garlic butter so much.

We'd tell our Grey, "It's the crockpot for you!"

So he picked up "Crockpot for youuuuuuuu."

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

My little heart :swoon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My wife has some horror stories about bad boyfriends and what they thought of Loki the budgie (he was about three years old when she and I started dating - he lived to be about seven and a half, so I was his bird-dad for most of his life). Previous boyfriends would do things like ask her to leave him in the car for hours. You can tell a lot about a person by how they'll treat something helpless that just wants to be loved and fed. Like, lizards aren't my thing, but when a previous roommate asked for me to look after his gecko for a few days while he was away, I spent the whole time terrified that I was going to do something wrong with his heat lamp and accidentally hurt him.

It's easy to get frustrated with needy pets or to be weirded out by their alien ways, but hatred or disdain for a tiny thing that needs care is not a good look.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've met a few people who were either not fond of pets or just casually disregarded their needs and it's always super offputting.

I mean, I assume I'm way more interested in taking excellent care of my animals than the average person but seeing people on the other side of the spectrum really bothers me. I couldn't date/marry one for sure.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

We have been domesticating and living with companion animals for at least ten thousand years. I'm of the opinion that people who don't like pets of any kind (outside of issues like severe allergies or trauma-related phobias) have something fundamentally wrong with them. I mean, I know I'm on the extreme end of "my weird and difficult pets are my life" but keeping friendly animals around is just what humans do.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think that's a bit extreme. We've been having babies even longer and plenty of people don't want kids and that's fine and not a sign of something wrong with them.

If you don't like pets don't live with someone who has pets or get into a relationship with someone who has pets. It's not hard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Log posted:

I've noticed that the same people who refuse to leave their dog at home think that keeping birds is freakish.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 6, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spix’s macaw probably extinct in the wild :(

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/the-blue-macaw-that-inspired-the-movie-rio-added-to-extinct-list/10204286?pfmredir=sm

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Goddamn that's sad. They're such beautiful birds.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's still probably two or three more decades than they were expected to have, and at least there's 100 or so in captivity :smith:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's one of the Gulf Middle East states that has a super fancy breeding program for them? I read an article about it a few years ago and it was fascinating.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tendai posted:

I think it's one of the Gulf Middle East states that has a super fancy breeding program for them? I read an article about it a few years ago and it was fascinating.

There's some breeders in the US. Have seen then around at shows.

Edit: oh not spix. There was another macaw breed I was talking about.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Halloween Jack posted:

I've noticed that the same people who refuse to leave their dog at home think that keeping birds is freakish.

A'-freakin'-men. That best bud ended up marrying a pretty wretched lady who has her dog with her, everywhere, always. She will claim it's a therapy dog. It isn't. I used to manage restaurants and people bullshitting therapy animals is a pet peeve of mine.

I feel weird about it. My father, the self described, "Animal Hater" had some truly awful experiences with dogs. He loathes them. But even with that in mind, he has become a lover of birds once exposed to them.

I think the biggest differences in humans are levels of empathy. We are all on the painfully high end. It's supposed to be my OCD, but I'll lay in bed at night worrying about how I came off to gas station attendants and the like. I know from personally interacting with some of you that we are both sensitive to the plight of others. Hell, when I "went crazy" this very thread helped keep me even keel with kindness and support.

Other people just aren't programmed to give a gently caress. But, this all reduces down to me not thinking highly of humans and a lot of other blah blah blah.

But the bottom line to me is this - People don't learn empathy. By adulthood, you have it or you don't. Avoid people on the psychopathy spectrum at all costs, unless it's business.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My mother-in-law is an infection control nurse. She had to wage a one-woman crusade to keep emotional support dogs out of the operating room.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

My mother-in-law is an infection control nurse. She had to wage a one-woman crusade to keep emotional support dogs out of the operating room.

:stonklol:

I should probably be less surprised by this than I am, but holey moley

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

LOL

Cricket picked up "You smell yummy like a chicken nugget!!" from my husband :P She will make a few "sniff" noises and belt out "You smell yummy!! Yummy Chicken Nuggets!!" at all hours. She also picked up "Want BBQ sauce yum!" It's actually funny to be asking my hubby about what he wants for dinner and she is yelling in the background about bbq and chicken nuggets and omg yum lol

From helping to feed the kitties in the evening, she has also picked up "Not Kitty food" that she likes to yell out at the cats periodically all day ...sigh. We were telling her "Are you kitty food?? No, you are NOT kitty food are you silly bird" it's so funny what they pick up.

I swear to god this bird only knows words about food (mostly). We were told she was food oriented but, we never expected this much lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Disco Salmon posted:

LOL

Cricket picked up "You smell yummy like a chicken nugget!!" from my husband :P She will make a few "sniff" noises and belt out "You smell yummy!! Yummy Chicken Nuggets!!" at all hours. She also picked up "Want BBQ sauce yum!" It's actually funny to be asking my hubby about what he wants for dinner and she is yelling in the background about bbq and chicken nuggets and omg yum lol

From helping to feed the kitties in the evening, she has also picked up "Not Kitty food" that she likes to yell out at the cats periodically all day ...sigh. We were telling her "Are you kitty food?? No, you are NOT kitty food are you silly bird" it's so funny what they pick up.

I swear to god this bird only knows words about food (mostly). We were told she was food oriented but, we never expected this much lol

You know what you must do.

Record everything and show us. For science.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

You know what you must do.

Record everything and show us. For science.

one of these days I will. She sees the phone and goes mute. It's so aggravating! I'm going to try to figure out a way to record her without the camera being seen....

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Disco Salmon posted:

one of these days I will. She sees the phone and goes mute. It's so aggravating! I'm going to try to figure out a way to record her without the camera being seen....

Not holding the camera in your hands is the first step

I.e. you need to set it up beforehand, which means you need to edit the video, because if she clams up when you bring the camera out it means you can't just catch the behaviors in the moment, you need to start recording beforehand

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 7, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
a long time ago i posted really guiltily about shimi, my ringneck that ive had since i was a kid, who was pretty wild. shed attack me through the cage without a second thought and freak right the gently caress out whenever I put my hand in there to hang a toy or something. I've been trying to get her to be more calm and shes let me scratch her through the cage for quite a while now. The other day I tricked her into standing on my hand, which she didn't get scared of for a a few seconds after I stopped scratching. I actually saw it click in her mind, she looked at my hand and was like, "I'm standing on his hand. Oh HOLY gently caress IM ON HIS HAND". Today, she ran enthusiastically from 1 side of the cage to the other when I called her for scratches, and i stuck my hand in the door and she let me scratch her with only a little hesitation. I was convinced I couldn't give her a good life, I was going to give her to a breeder or an aviary owner or something. I'm really glad I didn't.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 7, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

a long time ago i posted really guiltily about shimi, my ringneck that ive had since i was a kid, who was pretty wild. shed attack me through the cage without a second thought and freak right the gently caress out whenever I put my hand in there to hang a toy or something. I've been trying to get her to be more calm and shes let me scratch her through the cage for quite a while now. The other day I tricked her into standing on my hand, which she didn't get scared off for a a few seconds after I stopped scratching it. I actually saw it click in her mind, she looked at my hand and was like, "I'm standing on his hand. Oh HOLY gently caress IM ON HIS HAND". Today, she ran enthusiastically from 1 side of the cage to the other when I called her for scratches, and i stuck my hand in the door and she let me scratch her with only a little hesitation. I was convinced I couldn't give her a good life, I was going to give her to a breeder or an aviary owner or something. I'm really glad I didn't.

Congratulations! Good job to you and Shimi!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Goon success story.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

My ex used to joke about making Charlie mofongo but in a loving way

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

:(

Bonny really likes the movie Rio (it's a slow build up but she has some interesting reactions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4nrm-txQ9k

1500 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hooooly poo poo