Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Rio National Museum, the biggest Brazilian historical museum, has been completely destroyed by a fire. Several million artifacts and fossils inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm a history major who has travelled there three times before and this poo poo is really sobering. I can honestly guess that the money that could be used to save it was used on the loving world cup/olympics white elephants.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The museum loving offed itself because of how lovely this country is becoming.

Seriously though, it was destroyed by lack of funds, pretty much. gently caress it all.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Brazil's National museum in Rio is on fire, ruining thousands of history/antropology pieces, as well as the place where the Independence Declsration was signed and ratified. Fossils, mummies, documents, tools, art, all floating up as ashes.

Just the Independence week celebrations start.

If it was a movie, I'd be sneering and saying "gently caress, be more blatant in your symbolism, why don't you?"

To add insult to injury, the museum's upkeep, which had already been meager to the point of insanity, was cut by almost 80% this year. All attempts to supplement its budget were blocked in the name of austerity.

Needed more cash to increase judge's salaries and buy congressmen, I figure.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sephyr posted:

Brazil's National museum in Rio is on fire, ruining thousands of history/antropology pieces, as well as the place where the Independence Declsration was signed and ratified. Fossils, mummies, documents, tools, art, all floating up as ashes.

Just the Independence week celebrations start.

If it was a movie, I'd be sneering and saying "gently caress, be more blatant in your symbolism, why don't you?"

Pretty drat much.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As sad as that is I can't help but think that the intentional eroding of all public institutions in Brazil by the privatization-happy elites is gonna lead to a bigger tragedy down the road. Welp.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sephyr posted:

To add insult to injury, the museum's upkeep, which had already been meager to the point of insanity, was cut by almost 80% this year. All attempts to supplement its budget were blocked in the name of austerity.

Needed more cash to increase judge's salaries and buy congressmen, I figure.

https://twitter.com/incunabula/status/1036422316660547584?s=19

The money put aside for the museum was literally only a few thousand dollars.

https://twitter.com/incunabula/status/1036442850693664768?s=19

And no water in the hydrants.

What a tragedy. A modern Alexandria.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No water in the hydrants :psyduck:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They are already putting the blame on LGBT spectacles and exhibitions getting the culture ministry money even though those are worth like 800k or even smaller budgets. This loving troglodyte country deserves this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reminded of destruction of the Temple of Jupiter as Sulla returned to rome which also saw many ancient parts of Roman history destroyed.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Pedro II must be rolling in his grave.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
I'm so loving angry i never got to see it, i've been to Rio a few times, should have gone there... now it's gone forever

The brazilian elite are literally retarded sniveling morons. High value poo poo collected from all over the world over centuries like what was in that museum are worthless to them, unless the collection happens to be in Europe or the US.

Really, it's like watching a pig poo poo and roll all over a carefully crafted beautiful picnic, in slow motion, over many years.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
This is an almost immeasurable loss, and I hear people from Rio talking about it in the most despondent ways.

A couple of people I know said that it feels like the country can't even be entrusted with its own history, and that if they could they'd ship everything off to louvre or the smithsonian or something and tell them to please keep it safe, because it sure won't survive the depredations of the brazilian elite.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

They are already putting the blame on LGBT spectacles and exhibitions getting the culture ministry money even though those are worth like 800k or even smaller budgets. This loving troglodyte country deserves this.

This tragedy is the perfect symbol of all this polarised political bullshit. Right-wing fuckwads accusing leftists for using the Rouanet law and left-wing fuckwads celebrating the destruction of a "monarchist symbol".

Seriously, high time we need to be nuked.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I didn't see that college communist take yet, thank God. Most people I know are just lamenting the losses and pointing out that this was avoidable and the result of an austerity process...although who started it is a point of contention.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dias posted:

Man, I didn't see that college communist take yet, thank God. Most people I know are just lamenting the losses and pointing out that this was avoidable and the result of an austerity process...although who started it is a point of contention.

To be fair, I saw very few tankies saying that crap so far. But it still makes me sick in the stomach. Loss of cultural heritage is too much for me, even if there's no loss of lives.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kavros posted:

This is an almost immeasurable loss, and I hear people from Rio talking about it in the most despondent ways.

A couple of people I know said that it feels like the country can't even be entrusted with its own history, and that if they could they'd ship everything off to louvre or the smithsonian or something and tell them to please keep it safe, because it sure won't survive the depredations of the brazilian elite.

I think the only private museum of significance here is the MASP which Assis Chateaubriand opened in the loving 40s. These people don't give a loving poo poo about art and culture and if they do they will only display on their homes for their posh guests like the uncultured bourgeoise they are.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Plutonis posted:

I think the only private museum of significance here is the MASP which Assis Chateaubriand opened in the loving 40s. These people don't give a loving poo poo about art and culture and if they do they will only display on their homes for their posh guests like the uncultured bourgeoise they are.

I mean, they could be cultured bourgeoise or even actual capitalists as in investing capital into production but no, we get a mutant mix of brutal colonial landowner caste and american psycho vacuousness without any actual intelligence, control or planning whatsoever.

LEMME TELLYA ALL ABOUT DEM ZELITES MY MAN

gently caress, i'm mad

bagual fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 3, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Even the MASP was a bit of a random oddity by an rear end in a top hat media mogul. assis Chateubriand was an almost Randian figure in that while he was immensely cultured and value art and literature, he also thought it was all wasted on the dumb, useless masses.

But after WW2, he learned that there were tons of wealthy european families reduced to ruin and selling their colelctions for pennies on the dollar. Like a good predator, he swooped in and started buying everything a couple of knowledgeable friends told him was worth getting. He tried to get some brazilian magnates to join him, but they mostly blew him off because hey, museums are only fun if you're in Paris or London . At spome point, he was more or less blackmailing other rich assholes. "You're getting this here Hyeronimus Bosch or all my newspapers are going to headline that your matchbox factory only put 32 matches in each box instead of the advertised 40!"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I feel kind of sick reading about this, it reminds me of other irreplaceable losses of history for petty, pointless reasons like the burning of the Irish four courts in 1922.

I hope this doesn't sound too jaded, but is there any chance the stuff there... wasn't too important? Or at least was already well documented? I've read things like an extensive collection of Egyptian mummies and the oldest human remains ever found in South America were there.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm Portuguese, not Brazilian but I am utterly livid at this. O Brazil não merece isto.

For those who don't speak Portuguese:

Cartoon:

"Let history go! We have to move forward!"
"History is ideological indoctrination!"
"You need to cut that expenditure!"
"Putting taxpayer money in an old house?"
"PEC do Teto [one of the names of the Constitutional amendment limiting public spending for the next 20 years]"
"We need to guarantee the banks' tax benefits!"

Tweet:

"Recently the National Museum's management had to crowdfund to get an exhibition re-opened. It got 30 thousand real contributors. NO company offered to sponsor it"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 3, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I feel kind of sick reading about this, it reminds me of other irreplaceable losses of history for petty, pointless reasons like the burning of the Irish four courts in 1922.

I hope this doesn't sound too jaded, but is there any chance the stuff there... wasn't too important? Or at least was already well documented? I've read things like an extensive collection of Egyptian mummies and the oldest human remains ever found in South America were there.

It was as important as it gets in a country like Brazil. A lot of the stuff there was material undergoing research, i.e important enough to be part of a project and have staff dedicated to it. I mean, if it had a real budget, which it didn't, but anyway.

The rest was just very unique, irreplaceable stuff. The fossil of the earliest modern hominid of the americas. The document of the abolition of slavery.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So it appears almost everything in the building was lost.

Some stuff that was offsite is still intact.

https://twitter.com/marinamaral2/status/1036700952735166464

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thread title has never been more appropriate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao theres a punisher ripoff movie in a few weeks about a fed killing politicians and i bet my rear end it's feeding on the bolsonaro fever

"“O Doutrinador” é um anti-herói no melhor estilo dos vigilantes dos quadrinhos. O Doutrinador é Miguel, um agente federal altamente treinado que vive num Brasil cujo governo foi sequestrado por uma quadrilha de políticos e empresários. Uma tragédia pessoal o leva a eleger a corrupção endêmica brasileira como sua maior inimiga. E ele começa a se vingar da elite política brasileira em pleno período de eleições presidenciais, numa cruzada sem volta contra a corrupção."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Plutonis posted:

lmao theres a punisher ripoff movie in a few weeks about a fed killing politicians and i bet my rear end it's feeding on the bolsonaro fever

"O Doutrinador um anti-heri no melhor estilo dos vigilantes dos quadrinhos. O Doutrinador Miguel, um agente federal altamente treinado que vive num Brasil cujo governo foi sequestrado por uma quadrilha de polticos e empresrios. Uma tragdia pessoal o leva a eleger a corrupo endmica brasileira como sua maior inimiga. E ele comea a se vingar da elite poltica brasileira em pleno perodo de eleies presidenciais, numa cruzada sem volta contra a corrupo."

Oh, yeah, I heard about that poo poo on a comics podcast I listen to, it sounds really, REALLY bad. Like, Mark Millar levels of bad.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

"“O Doutrinador” é um anti-herói no melhor estilo dos vigilantes dos quadrinhos. O Doutrinador é Miguel, um agente federal altamente treinado que vive num Brasil cujo governo foi sequestrado por uma quadrilha de políticos e empresários. Uma tragédia pessoal o leva a eleger a corrupção endêmica brasileira como sua maior inimiga. E ele começa a se vingar da elite política brasileira em pleno período de eleições presidenciais, numa cruzada sem volta contra a corrupção."

Akumetsu is better

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only corruption fighting hero that we need is MISAPPROPRIATION INVESTIGATOR NAKABO RINTARO

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I mean bolsonaro wants to machine gun the poor and leftists so at least it's a step up.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
At first I thought O Doutrinador was right-wing garbage too, but Marcelo Yuka co-authored an issue and there's another one called Zonas Autônomas so it might actually have an anarchist bent... Never read it tho, but I'm guessing you guys didn't either.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
either way it's just another movie on its way to being misinterpreted just like elite squad

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bagual posted:

At first I thought O Doutrinador was right-wing garbage too, but Marcelo Yuka co-authored an issue and there's another one called Zonas Autnomas so it might actually have an anarchist bent... Never read it tho, but I'm guessing you guys didn't either.

Yeah, I'm going off second-hand information here - which did mention the same things you did, but was skeptical about the movie actually doing anything interesting or not falling into the very easy vengeance phantasy trap.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
My favourite Latin-American corruption-fighting fantasies are some episodes of Los Simuladores, but even then it's always strictly on a small local scale and corruption overall is a pervading collective phenomenon that's just there forever and we can do nothing about it, is the general attitude in fiction.

Also see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWxUOehIaI

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Brazil, if you gonna go for the king...

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Bolsonaro has just been stabbed. I'm guessing it's a setup or an actual crazy person, if it was supposed to be a political assassination his plane would have crashed. Veja's headline is that it was a PT supporter, so the circus is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuo2yzcBdf0

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I don't condone violence and yadda yadda...but I just can't feel bad because of it. I wished worse.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Far-right rear end in a top hat clamoring for looser gun laws wears a bulletproof vest in public?

Hmmmmm

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reap the whirlwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So he wins first turn now. Awesome.