Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
The only thing I remember about the Rama sequels is there is an exposition scene where characters use anal beads on each other. Swear to God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ben Nevis posted:

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've (re)read Hyperion, but I don't remember anything particularly cyberpunk about it.

Generally, with cyberpunk, it's hallmarks are corrupt, grimy, near future corporatocracy or some similar similar that exploits an underclass. Stories tend to look at these lower classes in opposition to the corporate overlords who have all the money and privilege. Also, lots of tech. But grimy. It's largely fallen out of favor because it's not sci-fi anymore.

Lamia's tale is explicitly cyberpunk. Grimy, impoverished hive cities. She hooks up with a hacker to infiltrate the Technocore, they jack in Gibson-style, he gets killed by black ice, it's straight up as cyberpunk as it gets.

It's also just that one story that's like that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any discussions from Howard and Lovecraft's contemporaries on their racial views? I know some of Lovecraft's friends took issue with his racism, and obviously modern critics are highly aware of it, but I've never seen anything from other writers at the time.

Well, I heard Lovecraft was so racist it weirded Howard out and made him reexamine his own views a bit.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any discussions from Howard and Lovecraft's contemporaries on their racial views? I know some of Lovecraft's friends took issue with his racism, and obviously modern critics are highly aware of it, but I've never seen anything from other writers at the time.

Lovecraft was so super racist that it stood out even for his time and embarrassed his wife a lot.

Sibling of TB posted:

The only thing I remember about the Rama sequels is there is an exposition scene where characters use anal beads on each other. Swear to God.

I might have to check out this thing after all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm reading through Brian Stableford's Inherit The Earth and I'm about halfway through and phew, what a neat book. It's a mystery/thriller on the surface, but it's more about the central question - with immortality almost guaranteed for humanity, who shall deserve to live to inherit the earth, so to speak?

It's also a neat cyberpunk book that's predicting the future left and right: the internet's omnipresent reach, the degradation of privacy, Anon style hacker/terrorist groups, VR, the VR equivalent of youtube's homemade videos, the impact of fake news, and how annoying it is calling a number and getting an AI/robot on the other end. And this was written in 1998!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, somebody brought up Glynn Stewart a few pages back and I idly checked him out. Wow. Dude has 5 books in a Space Opera series, with a new series getting ready to start in the same world, 2 books into one urban fantasy series, and like another 10 books, all of which are apparently self-published, in Kindle Unlimited, and actually readable! Not great literature, but absolutely in the genre habitable zone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If we're talking popcorn books, I'm liking the The King's Dark Tidings series by Kel Kade.

The first book is a little rough, but he gets better.

At first glance the hero is a total Gary Stu, trained since before he can actually remember in all the Skills and Rules of the elite spies, diplomats and fighters (and then some). He's known nothing else his entire life and was raised to be a weapon. But apparently one of his masters subverted his training by disclosing the last rule (Rule 1) as Honor Your Friends. But he has no idea what a friend is.

It's a total power fantasy, and personally I think Master of All Skills is the worst part. But... starting in the second book and even more in the third his absolute lack of socialization growing up has caused some serious issues with the people he's decided are "friends" (but he still doesn't quite get it) and the very few who actually know who he is (to an extent) see him as a monster.

Also, a lot of the byzantine plots he spins by assuming various personas to different groups start catching up in the third book and create serious trust issues and resentment amongst some of his friends and allies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

navyjack posted:

So, somebody brought up Glynn Stewart a few pages back and I idly checked him out. Wow. Dude has 5 books in a Space Opera series, with a new series getting ready to start in the same world, 2 books into one urban fantasy series, and like another 10 books, all of which are apparently self-published, in Kindle Unlimited, and actually readable! Not great literature, but absolutely in the genre habitable zone.

Yeah I'm going through the starship mage stuff and it's pretty breezy listening. The only criticisms I have is a heavy reliance on a "turtles all the way down" masterminds behind masterminds, escalating power levels, and continual unresolved plot hooks. Still it's a real fun read but by book 5 I'd really like some closure on like, anything!

I like the author enough to check out the other series, it's pretty good beach reading power fantasy stuff.

Plus, in-world mechanics, the determination of when he can and can't teleport himself and others, the distance and how fatiguing it is seems to perpetually change based on what the plot requires at the time. Annoying.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 5, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know they've been discussed in this thread before, and they're of an age where nearly every series either did something dumb or objectionable, but how do the Anne McCaffrey Pern books hold up today?

I swear, I need a curated list of SF/F books & series titled "Best Read When You're 11, or Never" so I don't have to ask this about every "classic" series I never got around to reading.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

MockingQuantum posted:

I know they've been discussed in this thread before, and they're of an age where nearly every series either did something dumb or objectionable, but how do the Anne McCaffrey Pern books hold up today?

I swear, I need a curated list of SF/F books & series titled "Best Read When You're 11, or Never" so I don't have to ask this about every "classic" series I never got around to reading.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern books are bad when you're 11 too. I threw one of them against the wall (excuse: I was 11).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I think they’re ok, especially the first few. As soon as the vewwy special White Dragon shows up they start getting worse. Basically use the Dune formula. They never get better, so stop when you lose interest. Also, FWIW, Anne McCaffrey might be some kind of weirdo pedophile or pedo-enabler. I don’t remember the details or care enough to look them up.

Bhodi posted:

Yeah I'm going through the starship mage stuff and it's pretty breezy listening. The only criticisms I have is a heavy reliance on a "turtles all the way down" masterminds behind masterminds, escalating power levels, and continual unresolved plot hooks. Still it's a real fun read but by book 5 I'd really like some closure on like, anything!

I like the author enough to check out the other series, it's pretty good beach reading power fantasy stuff.

Plus, in-world mechanics, the determination of when he can and can't teleport himself and others, the distance and how fatiguing it is seems to perpetually change based on what the plot requires at the time. Annoying.

Yeah, they’re handwavy as poo poo, but I found them to be a easy FREE read, and I was interested enough to keep going which is so rare for the self-pub Kindle Unlimited crap. I’ve definitely seen traditional publishing stuff that was way worse. I am guessing that he must have made the unusual step of paying someone to edit and do actual cover design which makes all the difference.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Lovecraft was so super racist that it stood out even for his time and embarrassed his wife a lot.

According to Wikipedia he started a flamewar in a scifi magazine about it, and I'm really sad that the relevant issues are microfiche only :arghfist:

Edit: Also people used to write dodgy poetry making fun of him:

quote:

Love Versus Lovecraft

In Lovecraft’s epic, liber primus,
He surely did his best to trim us,
And now with satire he has stunned us
In his last work, liber secundus.

We wonder now with what conceit
He’ll trample on the “ Winged Feet,”
For sure he’s bound to make a fuss
And give us liber tertius.

If this calamity befall us
We’ll swallow it “cum grano salis.”
If by mischance some fair, false maid
Has havoc with his feelings played,

He should in silence bear the pain
And from his jeers at love refrain.
Perchance he thinks in his smart way
That woman is of meaner clay;

That love is but a thing of jest,
He stands, a cynic, self-confessed.

P. S'.—’Twill be a pleasant treat
To get our stories all complete.

("Winged Feet" is a story by Fred Jackson that Lovecraft took issue with - another letter is telling the editor that Jackson is awesome and Lovecraft should get stuffed)

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 5, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

navyjack posted:

I think they’re ok, especially the first few. As soon as the vewwy special White Dragon shows up they start getting worse. Basically use the Dune formula. They never get better, so stop when you lose interest. Also, FWIW, Anne McCaffrey might be some kind of weirdo pedophile or pedo-enabler. I don’t remember the details or care enough to look them up.

There's a scene in one of her other series where a super-telepathic teenager gets curious about sex and seduces a grown man. He is not happy about it when he realises, but you can definitely spin it as "young people have desires, why shouldn't adults help them out?"

I did not read the sequels.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

How do you mean? I blew through all five recently and while I admit I wasn't paying that much attention since they are, as you say, breezy beach reading rather than something to really sink your teeth into, the teleportation mechanics never struck me as internally inconsistent.

Except perhaps that teleport range and recharge time doesn't seem to scale with the power of the mage, but perhaps increasing power just lets you jump more precisely or with less warmup time or something.

Oh, and you do get some closure in book 5, but some stuff is deliberately left hanging to lead into his next (as yet unwritten) series in that setting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

navyjack posted:

McCaffrey is infamous for the "Tent Peg Theory," where she expressed a belief that being penetrated anally releases hormones that turn you gay. (Apparently she had a friend who was mugged while camping, and the attackers shoved a tent peg up his rear end, which she believes made him become gay.)

My impression is that she wasn't actively evil like Marion Zimmer Bradley or pervy like Piers Anthony, just ... confused. It's also an example of how standards change; back in the 70s, she was a hero to many gay fans because there wasn't a lot of mainstream fantasy that featured openly gay characters, and they were happy for any representation. But today, she just looks strange and out of touch.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

McCaffrey is infamous for the "Tent Peg Theory," where she expressed a belief that being penetrated anally releases hormones that turn you gay. (Apparently she had a friend who was mugged while camping, and the attackers shoved a tent peg up his rear end, which she believes made him become gay.)

My impression is that she wasn't actively evil like Marion Zimmer Bradley or pervy like Piers Anthony, just ... confused. It's also an example of how standards change; back in the 70s, she was a hero to many gay fans because there wasn't a lot of mainstream fantasy that featured openly gay characters, and they were happy for any representation. But today, she just looks strange and out of touch.

This is kinda how I view her. On the one hand, she was the first woman to win the Hugo and the Nebula. If you read her first winning story, Weyr House or something like that, it's actually kind of interesting and doesn't overstay its welcome. On the other hand, I've never (even as a kid) been able to get through one of her novels and the Pern fandom sounds unpleasant, like a mean-spirited version of the SCA. While McCaffrey was alive she would intervene in it which cannot possibly have been good for anyone involved.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

This is kinda how I view her. On the one hand, she was the first woman to win the Hugo and the Nebula. If you read her first winning story, Weyr House or something like that, it's actually kind of interesting and doesn't overstay its welcome. On the other hand, I've never (even as a kid) been able to get through one of her novels and the Pern fandom sounds unpleasant, like a mean-spirited version of the SCA. While McCaffrey was alive she would intervene in it which cannot possibly have been good for anyone involved.

That's where I'm at too. I actually enjoyed the Pern books as a kid, because, well, dragons!!!

That said as I grew up I came to realize that she was the author with the cool covers and WICKED cool summaries, but her writing was just mediocre. The first author I ever read who I came to realize wasn't that good, and I still reflect on that sometimes. I'm still keeping the first trilogy of her Pern books because I like them, even if they're flawed now - the big twist in the first book was good enough for me to remember it fondly.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wasn't she really against fanfic? If you create a world where people get psychically bonded to sweet as heck teleporting. dragons (or fire lizards, the superior choice) and then try to stamp out fanfic, you're a monster. You may be saving the world a lot of pain, but you're still a monster.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Oh no! I just finished The Descent of Monsters by JY Yang and it was really good but I don't think there's going to be any more books in that series!

Anyways, if you have read the other two but not this one yet, you really should. It was equally strong and focused as Red Threads, with an interesting structure. Cool stuff happened and it was spooky and tense and good. It's also short and only 4 bucks, I think.

If you haven't read any of Yang's Tensorate novellas you should give them a chance! Their setting is really compelling. Even if Black Tides spends a lot of time doing exposition, the next two are a lot tighter and better for it. Just some really cool short reads.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Jane Yolen's The Pit Dragon chronicles are the better version of Pern anyway.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

I remember reading those as a kid and really liking the first one and thinking things got really loving weird in the later books.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

papa horny michael posted:

I disagree, because I read them with the same enthusiasm for dragons as I read Pern, but I came away bummed because they were so sad and horrible - not the good escape fantasy of Pern at all!

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

ToxicFrog posted:

I remember reading those as a kid and really liking the first one and thinking things got really loving weird in the later books.

I had pretty much the exact same experience but I was really okay with how loving weird they got. I kind of want to reread them, but I'm also afraid they won't rule as much to 26 year old me as they did to 11 year old me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The kindle version of The Traitor Baru Cormorant is $2.99 right now, a great price for a great book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

TOOT BOOT posted:

The kindle version of The Traitor Baru Cormorant is $2.99 right now, a great price for a great book.

Holy poo poo buy my book

While I’m here I might as well rouse you fine lot for preorders on the sequel, which comes out in less than two months and which I have no worldly idea whether anyone will like or buy. Second book sales drop is usually huge even when you don’t lose a couple years to intense :smith:brain

But since book preorder numbers are usually so small, double or triple digits, every one makes a difference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone who doesn't already own this is a fool.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

withak posted:

Anyone who doesn't already own this is a fool.

sure everyone here has it, but it is a good time to buy copies as gifts for your friends!

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

While I’m here I might as well rouse you fine lot for preorders on the sequel, which comes out in less than two months and which I have no worldly idea whether anyone will like or buy. Second book sales drop is usually huge even when you don’t lose a couple years to intense :smith:brain

But since book preorder numbers are usually so small, double or triple digits, every one makes a difference.

No idea it was due so soon! Consider my order pre’d! :woop:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

Oh sweet, I was just checking the other day if I could pre-order this.

Here's the B&N link incase any of the other 6 Nook owners in the world browse this thread: https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-monster-baru-cormorant-seth-dickinson/1127621318?ean=9781466875135

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

Please shill a little on twitter too so i can retweet the hell out of it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hopped on the big Destiny lore discord server to plug the Baru sale

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

I've had it preordered since January 5th :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

Done.

Your first book astounded me. Your second better as well :argh:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I lied to Amazon just to preorder Monster. Can't wait to read it :dance:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

Preordered without hesitation.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo buy my book

Oh poo poo it's dropping soon! I have to finish Stormlight 3 so I can reread Baru before Monster drops. Thanks for the notice. Pre-ordered to support your continued shitposting in this thread :v:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Traitor holds up on reread, can confirm. If anything it's better.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wanted to get Monster in hardcover like I already have Traitor, but it was cheaper to just preorder Monster and buy Traitor again as ebooks just to have a matching pair :argh:

I guess I'll just keep using the physical copy of Traitor to rope new people in.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

I've had it preordered since January 5th :v:

Feb 22 for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
There was a recent thread on reddit regarding a pre-Monster reread, seems well received over there also, couple of people triggered by the nature of the evil imperials though. I personally thought the entire relationship between Baru's seuxality and the inherent evils of the Masquerade was absolutely fantastic, and jesus christ the ending was heartbreaking. Can't wait to see how it develops.

PS preorder this book and 5 star on Amazon/Goodreads if you feel it deserves it. Especially UK and other regional outlets on Amazon. I want more.