Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Jack Trades posted:

Andrzej Sapkowski is SO talented he wrote a modern western power fantasy character in 1990 Poland.

he's pretty untalented imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Geralt is the most bland character I've seen that people really love for some reason.
he's ok for what he is. he's almost hilariously incongruent as both a super badass and a super loving father/husband in w3 though. esp with the English VA.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I think " loving lots of chicks and also kicking rear end" has kind of a timeless appeal.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah but Witcher Fans act like he's some kind of refreshing and original hero and not a power fantasy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Surprise, gamers are unable to spot the difference between fiction that makes them feel good and fiction that is good

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
A lot of male protagonists are power fantasies though. I think Geralt bring a very flat and brooding, and maybe even understated, character makes all the other characters he interacts with that much more interesting in contrast. Even the other Witchers are shining examples of personality in comparison. If you had a bunch of Zoltans running around (gently caress yeah though), the other NPCs wouldn't stand out as much.

In The Witcher 3, he's portrayed as a world weary, put upon, "just the facts ma'am" old man, with an occasional pithy comment and very little patience for other people's problems. Which I can relate to.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
*in the gravelly badass voice of a peerless killing machine* ciri your mother and i want to talk about being honest while also maintaining boundaries with each other

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zane posted:

*in the gravelly badass voice of a peerless killing machine* ciri your mother and i want to talk about being honest while also maintaining boundaries with each other

Even as a big fan of the Witcher franchise I gotta give this a solid lol of approval.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Yeah but Witcher Fans act like he's some kind of refreshing and original hero and not a power fantasy.

The reason I like Geralt is that he pretends to be tough and emotionless but he's actually a big soft-hearted goober who has no idea how to be a dad.

I mean that's really it. I just think he's kind of a fun character. There's this in-universe myth that Witchers are emotionless killing machines and Geralt seems to really try to believe that it's true, so he doesn't even realize how emotional he really is. (Also given every Witcher we meet in the games I have no idea how anyone believes that Witchers are emotionless. They're a bunch of idiot bros who joke around and tell stories and get weepy all the goddamn time.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Don't forget that he also has a lot of the characteristics of a Mary Sue; Geralt isn't just a Witcher, he is an Extra Special Witcher who was a total master of the witcher training and was the only one to survive a bunch of additional mutations that turn you into a pale-skinned white-haired mega-goth

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Geralt getting poo poo faced with Lambert and Eskel at Kaer Morhen is probably the second hardest I've ever laughed at a video game.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

a bone to pick posted:

the most ideal resolution is 800x600 on a crt monitor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Geralt is a fun character but also if anyone thinks he isn't a power fantasy then fuckin lol

He's a super-strong and handsome monster hunter who also has the gift for real magic like what sorcerers do (even though he doesn't use it), and also women all want to gently caress him, which is extra dope for everyone because he can't get anyone pregnant or get diseases, so Geralt rides across the countryside having sex with countless beautiful women and doing hero things

He's also an awkward idiot dad who doesn't know how feelings work.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Don't forget that he also has a lot of the characteristics of a Mary Sue; Geralt isn't just a Witcher, he is an Extra Special Witcher who was a total master of the witcher training and was the only one to survive a bunch of additional mutations that turn you into a pale-skinned white-haired mega-goth

But it's offset by everyone* hating him!

*everyone who is stupid and ugly or doesn't have great tits

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
oh no, a power fantasy in my video game, how did this happen

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Verisimilidude posted:

he's pretty untalented imo

More like undertalented

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Verisimilidude posted:

geralt is the modern power fantasy. He's cool and handsome, has a thick beard, deep raspy voice. He can fight and cast magic and all of the women want him, so much so that chicks turned into collectibles for him to bang. Everyone respects him and people who don't almost always get their asses kicked. Plus he has a cool wolf necklace, two swords, and cat eyes.

All he needs is an angel wing and a devil wing and he'd be a shoe-in for everyone's teenage chatroom RP character

I must not like The Witcher because I already have a daddy that matches most of this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

oh no, a power fantasy in my video game, how did this happen

No one's complaining about that you goober

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some people are complaining about it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nah, power fantasies are fine, just don't pretend they're super deep.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It started being really grating writing for me once I turned 16 :shrug:

EDIT: when it's not so over the top it becomes fun again i mean

BioMe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 5, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Elderbean posted:

Nah, power fantasies are fine, just don't pretend they're super deep.

It’s not super deep yeah, but I like that he’s also a turbo dork that originally tried to pick a really long pretentious name to sound cool before he was told to knock it off, basically made up the whole “Witcher code” thing so he has an excuse to tell people to gently caress off if he doesn’t want to do something, and that his whole stoic and cool act is something that like 0% of the people in his life are convinced by.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Witcher chat always devolves into talking about the plot because the gameplay itself is so loving bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only people who say the gameplay is bad are universally insufferable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The first game's combat is extremely bad, Witcher 3's combat is tolerable but not great

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I remember hating the pathing while walking over rocks or out in the woods.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

steinrokkan posted:

It's true. Most people I know that commented on it said that the third game's action finally achieved the lofty goal of being ok. Maybe.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah Witcher combat has always been like 3 years behind everyone else, it's never been good. They're like Bioware's action games and Elder Scrolls in that respect, all of these big open world RPGs usually have mediocre combat compared to full blown action games. Their strengths generally lie elsewhere.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 6, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just give me Gothic 1 combat controls where you held down the mouse button and pressed the arrow keys to swing left and right.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

The gameplay is really bad and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Graphic posted:

I must not like The Witcher because I already have a daddy that matches most of this

Metal Gear Solid V is the anti-power fantasy in a way, you're the ultimate badass but nothing you do is really remembered by anyone in the larger series, and you find out in the end that you're a victim of a huge lie. It was pretty smart they gave the main characters a genuine heroic reason to go after Skull Face only to sour the triumph of defeating him with letting them live out their sadistic revenge fantasy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed the gameplay and thought it was fine.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

bradzilla posted:

The gameplay is really bad and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise

Same people who say Witcher 3 is bad say Dark Souls combat is good, so they're just consistently and objectively wrong.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

Same people who say Witcher 3 is bad say Dark Souls combat is good, so they're just consistently and objectively wrong.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pyromancer posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Metal Gear Solid V is the anti-power fantasy in a way, you're the ultimate badass but nothing you do is really remembered by anyone in the larger series, and you find out in the end that you're a victim of a huge lie.

This sentence would accurately describe noted power fantasy Witcher 3 as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Witcher 3 is a good game that's somehow greater than the sum of its parts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pyromancer posted:

i was thinking on this at the bus stop, and I can't remember any time when i had a fantastic experience in W3 from the gameplay itself. i often thought 'that was fun' but I also occasionally thought 'that was annoying'.

TBH i would put it on a similar level to skyrim, it's a bit better than adequate, but not brilliant.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Witcher 3 sucks and is bad, dark souls 1-3 is cool and good

And dark souls 2 is the best of the bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

sebmojo posted: