Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Futaba Anzu posted:

Can't be because that's heaven
goldmine this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Futaba Anzu posted:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Bro Dad posted:

Heaven's Design Team

Someone tweet this at the Mcelroys

Futaba Anzu posted:

gently caress

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Eldercain posted:

Someone tweet this at the Mcelroys

its real good

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

so it's them just creating.... creation? I mean what does the drama consist of? Besides creating crappy animals.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

mike12345 posted:

so it's them just creating.... creation? I mean what does the drama consist of? Besides creating crappy animals.

I think it’s a gag manga

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

speaking of gag manga i just came across this

https://mangadex.org/title/26458/isekai-transporter

it's about a guy whose job is to run people over in his truck so they can become heroes in another world

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sometimes Danberu nan kiro moteru? gets too real.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
In Japan you might as well be dead when you're 30

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Yajin
A teen girl who can see ghosts but not touch them meets two other kids with unusual spiritual powers

Only 8 chapters out so far, but I think it shows promise. Note: The first chapter is NSFW on account of bathing scene.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i am surprised i recognized the sekai oni artists style. i didnt get very far in good night world because it seemed to have too many plot elements in common with SO. this might be fun though, i like his twisted forms. i liked the dog's astral body especially heh

Relin fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 3, 2018

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
furi2play!

It's essentially full of awful poo poo but also a good change of pace for a comedy

wakarimasen lol

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Goblin Slayer is definitely not for everyone (there's a few instances of sexual violence, in addition to the regular kind) but Dark Souls Batman and his band of friends killing goblins is, in my opinion, really good.

The main appeal is Goblin Slayer doing what he does best: Coming up with creative and brutally efficient ways of clearing out lots and lots of goblins.

It's also pretty funny in the down time between fights. The main characters and supporting cast are all basically likable, decent people, so it doesn't get bogged down by how GRIMDARK it can get in the most serious of moments.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 6, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't read Goblin Slayer.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is Goblin Slayer the one where the first chapter was insanely rape-heavy?

e: Yeah it's a really hard sell when you say "a few instances of sexual violence" and there are multiple violent rapes in the first chapter alone

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 6, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

chumbler posted:

haven't read Goblin Slayer, mostly thanks to this thread (or its previous iteration) because

Elysiume posted:

e: Yeah it's a really hard sell when you say "a few instances of sexual violence" and there are multiple violent rapes in the first chapter alone

sounds like garbage to be honest

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm currently reading Dreamland Japan (someone in this thread recommended it to me), and its age is a bit showing. Like, it hints at declining sales (this was mid-90s) of manga magazines, and its competition with video games, but it would be nice to have an updated industry outlook. Out of curiosity I looked at the circulation rate of Shonen Jump in the 90s vs today, and it's a drop from 6,5 million (1995) to 1,7 million (2018).

Maybe there's an article/book out there, that's more recent?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I'd say less so than the likes of Devilman. It's basically there in the first couple of chapters and it doesn't really get gratuitous. It's not something just included for titillation.

Hellsau posted:

haven't read Goblin Slayer, mostly thanks to this thread (or its previous iteration) because

sounds like garbage to be honest

Like I said, not for everyone, but it's not fair to dismiss it as just being crass fap bait; There's a lot more to it than that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cuntellectual posted:

I'd say less so than the likes of Devilman. It's basically there in the first couple of chapters and it doesn't really get gratuitous. It's not something just included for titillation.

Like I said, not for everyone, but it's not fair to dismiss it as just being crass fap bait; There's a lot more to it than that.

Gratuitous rape as shorthand for monstrous evil is still gratuitous rape. Also lovely writing and bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol at comparing a classic work which has been remade a dozen times over to fuckin' goblin slayer

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To shut it down now, goblin slayer introduces new characters solely for the purpose of having them violently raped and murdered by goblins, several times.

It's not something worth your time or effort to downplay or defend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The goblin rape scenes identical to an infinite array of doujis that is almost certainly to the writers taste not intended to be titillating and in fact has a deeper and more important meaning is a new take though, lol.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

Like, there is better fantasy stories out there with worldbuilding that isn't nonsensical and contrived and don't use edge to grab your attention.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Brought To You By posted:

Like, there is better fantasy stories out there with worldbuilding that isn't nonsensical and contrived and don't use edge to grab your attention.

Like, many. Some of them are even good, but even if you're gonna go with mediocre, there's plenty. Even if we rule out Isekai, we're left with stuff like Sekai Maou (well, okay, there's some nonsense here in the name of comedy) or Tsuyukote New Saga or Yotsukoto or Dungeon Meshi (you've heard of that one, I'm sure).

If you include it you have Saihate no Paladin, the New Gate, World Customize Creator, From Maid to Mother, Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Are there any famous mangas that deal with abuse in a respectful, non-exploitative way?

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 6, 2018

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Punpun?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

grand blue is the best isekai manga

mike12345 posted:

Are there any famous mangas that deal with abuse in a respectful, non-exploitative way?

does alcohol abuse count?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Depends on what kind.

Aku no hana comes to mind.

What's nonsensical and contrived about it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all the rape sounds pretty contrived

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

What's nonsensical and contrived about it?
I had a longer post in another thread about this but i've read the light novels of this story and there are inconsistencies with the setting.
But the long and short is that people don't respond to things logically. The starting town is so far from the demon front lines it makes no sense they overlook goblins who are the most numerous threat so much that the guild wants a dedicated fighting force for them. They also don't train or properly warn newbies which contributes to a 75% mortality rate for a beginner quest. It's not until the main character does his thing that people realize that they should probably change that.

Characters value glitz over practicality so much that helmets and practical armor are a novel idea. Even though it's shown that head shots work on human.

And the fact that word of mouth puts goblins so low despit 3-4 adventuring parties wiping to a single nest. As well as the number of villages we see raided in the story alone. Doesn't justify the low opinion of them in the frontier villages.

I could go on but I think you get my point. I don't mind an edgy series, I don't mind a bad story sometimes if it's fun. But Goblin Slayer is neither of these. I agree with you that it's not for everyone though I'm just not sure who it is for eithee.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
can't believe a fantasy series has impractical armor design

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I had a longer post in another thread about this but i've read the light novels of this story and there are inconsistencies with the setting.
But the long and short is that people don't respond to things logically. The starting town is so far from the demon front lines it makes no sense they overlook goblins who are the most numerous threat so much that the guild wants a dedicated fighting force for them. They also don't train or properly warn newbies which contributes to a 75% mortality rate for a beginner quest. It's not until the main character does his thing that people realize that they should probably change that.

Characters value glitz over practicality so much that helmets and practical armor are a novel idea. Even though it's shown that head shots work on human.

And the fact that word of mouth puts goblins so low despit 3-4 adventuring parties wiping to a single nest. As well as the number of villages we see raided in the story alone. Doesn't justify the low opinion of them in the frontier villages.

I could go on but I think you get my point. I don't mind an edgy series, I don't mind a bad story sometimes if it's fun. But Goblin Slayer is neither of these. I agree with you that it's not for everyone though I'm just not sure who it is for eithee.

I can't speak for the light novels, but in the manga at least some of these things are addressed and others can be fanwanked explained via implication.

The guild (with the exception of the primary character Goblin Slayer and co deal with) don't seem to be particularly bothered by the goblins, because they're inevitably wiped out eventually. The clerks are also shown to at least try to persuade beginners to try something less risky than hunting goblins. Sure, adventurers die trying, but that's kind of comes with the territory of hunting dangerous monsters in holes in the ground for a living.

The impractical armor exists at because it's a common fantasy trope (which the manga tends to look at and then look at how these things would actually play out), and secondly it's potentially fine against stronger monsters. The two fights against monsters stronger than goblins so far, against an Ogre and a Beholder, show that neither of them bother to go for low blows or sneaky backstabs; Since they're strong, they just attack head on. The reason goblins are a threat is because they're so weak they can only win because of underhanded tactics like that, which work because nobody takes them seriously since goblins are so weak (As the manga shows that even an untrained villager with a farming implement can drive off a few goblins by themself).

The problem starts when a lot of goblins start appearing to start raiding villages, which is implied to typically be fairly uncommon; Experienced adventurers don't know what goblin champions are, and those appear when groups of goblins start to get stronger. A few characters discuss how big raiding groups like that have started appearing a lot more commonly lately, which is why so many villages are getting destroyed. You could argue the fact that there's unusual activity that's not being responded to by people in positions of power is illogical, and I absolutely agree. But look at how people in positions of power act in real life. How long did it take the US Government to admit that standard tactics weren't going to work in the war on terror? In a setting that doesn't have the advantage of instant communication between the front line and the top brass, it would take even longer.

Lastly, the people who have a low opinion of people hunting goblins are all the experienced, high level adventurers who fight dragons and trolls and whatnot. Goblin Slayer himself is a folk hero who has people writing songs about him and specifically has people seeking him out because the common man has so much respect for him. Think of it in terms of D&D. You fight Goblins at level 1 to level up and get the hang of things, but by the time you're level 5 your players are going to want to start fighting stronger and cooler monsters instead of smashing goblins all day. But just because the players saved a village from a goblin horde doesn't mean goblins are gone forever. Who's protecting that village from the next group of goblins?

I get that the sexual violence can be a lot to get past (I personally don't think it's there for titillation because it tends to be inflicted on bloody, bruised and grime covered victims, but I won't argue that might make it MORE titillating for some people), but there's more to it than that and what there is past that is pretty good.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 6, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

please loving shut up about Goblins Rape People: The Manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

please loving shut up about Goblins Rape People: The Manga

Yeah, I'm not keen on discussing whether or not the series presents a consistent anything for the umpteenth time. Apologies to Cuntellectual but even with some of the stuff the manga changes it still relies a lot on the reader forgiving stuff and ignoring things to make sense. That time frame from when Goblins start attacking can be measured in years (close to 5) if the Year One spinoff and LN are to be believed. The story just doesn't have a coherent setting which isn't bad but not something I can easily overlook.

As for good fantasy stories, Curse Blood was something I had a lot of hope for since the first 4 chapters had a combination of amazing visuals and a premise that reminded me of when the term 'Isekai' could mean adventure and wonder and not some person getting trucked and fulfilling the wishes of the author. The story starts in-media res with a young Japanese Girl named Kyouko finding herself and her bed transported to a world with Three moons with only the cryptic words of a horned woman telling to her to keep her heart safe. While at the same time dark forces conspire to capture her as the reason she was summoned was because of them, although due to a mistake she didn't land directly in their clutches. Kyouko has a run in with some monsters, and is ultimately saved by a boy by the name of Solomon who has mysterious tattoos over his body that can bend and shape themselves into many shapes. Together they set out to find out why she is here and Kyouko hopes a way to get her home.

Unfortunately there will only be 4 chapters since the author passed away 3 months ago. But I would still recommend it to people if you want a taste of how good fantasy setting are presented.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Unfortunately there will only be 4 chapters since the author passed away 3 months ago.

You monster.

Yeah, I'm not keen on discussing whether or not the series presents a consistent anything for the umpteenth time. Apologies to Cuntellectual but even with some of the stuff the manga changes it still relies a lot on the reader forgiving stuff and ignoring things to make sense. That time frame from when Goblins start attacking can be measured in years (close to 5) if the Year One spinoff and LN are to be believed. The story just doesn't have a coherent setting which isn't bad but not something I can easily overlook.

I'm willing to leave it here, but I just don't see how that makes a difference. The goblin attacks as of 5 years ago were described as being part of a greater war which makes some of the other things you complained about make more sense, not less.

I don't mind people not liking things I don't like, and there's definitely things to not like, but what I take issue with is people (inadvertently or not) misrepresenting them. I can't speak for the LN at all, but it wouldn't be the first manga I've liked adapted from an LN that wasn't as good.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kingdom

I love how the author just cannot draw horses from the front. Just weird balloons with legs.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Brainamp posted:

Kingdom

I love how the author just cannot draw horses from the front. Just weird balloons with legs.

I don't think you're supposed to use horses like that...

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Horses are totally dive bombers right?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Bokurano and Narutaru both deal with heavy subjects pretty well but I'm not going to try and convince anyone to read those because they exist to ruin your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Bokurano and Narutaru both deal with heavy subjects pretty well but I'm not going to try and convince anyone to read those because they exist to ruin your day.

I love media that ruins my day. Structured outlets for sadness are probably the best thing I've done for my mental health in my entire life