Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'd advise maybe boning up on the clean energy tech and infrastructure going on in TX? It has sufficient overlap with the areas of your work that you might be able to identify areas where you can do good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

All energy is haram in my new post-thought brain

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I love it when HDD drunkposts.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nice piece of fish posted:

I love it when HDD posts.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That too.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Well. Done for the day.

Counsel didn’t realize she couldn’t just tell the court what was said at trial and would have to actually introduce the transcripts themselves. Which she didn’t have. I’d feel bad for the petitioner having such a moron as counsel. But he murdered a five year old. So.... no mercy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ActusRhesus posted:

Well. Done for the day.

Counsel didn’t realize she couldn’t just tell the court what was said at trial and would have to actually introduce the transcripts themselves. Which she didn’t have. I’d feel bad for the petitioner having such a moron as counsel. But he murdered a five year old. So.... no mercy.

does he really deserve the US penal system though?????!?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That's Dr. Sagan to you, youngster.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I love it when HDD drunkposts.

I'm 18months sober lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Counsel didn’t realize she couldn’t just tell the court what was said at trial and would have to actually introduce the transcripts

W.

no, no a murder/suicide joke would be in very poor taste here.

Thoughts and prayrs to the family

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm 18months sober lol

Are you though? Or are you just high on abstinence? Makes you think

Adar posted:

does he really deserve the US penal system though?????!?

You know, on the one hand I'm all about reform and second chances, but on the other hand if there is a crime that should lead to life in prison child murder is probably it. Guess that makes me a moral monster.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Let’s talk about the death penalty. I think under very strict circumstances, certain offenders can morally be executed by the state.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Let’s talk about the death penalty. I think under very strict circumstances, certain offenders can morally be executed by the state.

In the philosophical abstract, yes. As a practical/reality matter, absolutely not.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For example I think that a secret military tribunal without oversight can order the killing of a person suspected of terrorism as long as the killing is done by bad rear end navy seals with cool guns.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Fully plan to argue as follows:

“The fact the petitioner’s counsel managed to convince a jury NOT to to execute this motherfucker proves just how truly effective he was.”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also if my goat is stolen, and I later find it at someone’s house and that person can’t produce a witness to say they bought the goat from a merchant, then they should be put to death.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I am imperfect. I hate the death penalty and war and cops etc etc.

But some people are loving bad and have no reason to remain on earth.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also if my goat is stolen, and I later find it at someone’s house and that person can’t produce a witness to say they bought the goat from a merchant, then they should be put to death.

Just replace the goat with a goat buck in rut, and let the goat do the killing. Bonus: the corpses will stink forever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There are people who deserve death, but the state shouldn't be doing it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

I agree. Let the mob handle justice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

That’s why we have people like Erik Prince

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree. Let the mob handle justice.

Death penalty is certainly a slippery slope but a) a lifetime in jail may well be worse than just ending it all and b) people like Dahmer violated social standards to such a degree you can't realistically rehabilitate them and due to the number and type of offenses I'm ok with saying that person can be executed

But then again I think Larry Nasser should be executed so I'm a bit more bloodthirsty than most.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
as long as the state can prove (not "beyond a reasonable doubt", flat out prove, complete with unimpeachable video and also the guy doing a tap dance on the victims' grave{s}) the crimes, sure, why not, not like a Dahmer or a Bin Laden really need to be on the planet any longer than necessary

this excludes the death penalty as practiced on the vast majority of the planet, though

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For example I think that a secret military tribunal without oversight can order the killing of a person suspected of terrorism as long as the killing is done by bad rear end navy seals with cool guns.

Hmm. I like where you're headed with this but I'm concerned that the human element of the cool-rear end navy seals might introduce too many errors into this otherwise perfect system. What are your thoughts vis-a-vis having the executions carried out instead by terrifying, unfeeling flying death robots

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

But then again I think Larry Nasser should be executed so I'm a bit more bloodthirsty than most.

For things like this, my position is the State doesn’t have to guarantee your safety to a greater degree than the average prisoner. If you’re going to do crimes, you should be prepared to defend yourself.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Adar posted:

as long as the state can prove (not "beyond a reasonable doubt", flat out prove, complete with unimpeachable video and also the guy doing a tap dance on the victims' grave{s}) the crimes, sure, why not, not like a Dahmer or a Bin Laden really need to be on the planet any longer than necessary

this excludes the death penalty as practiced on the vast majority of the planet, though

Videos can today be forged with perfect accuracy, as can pictures, audio and any evidence you can think of more cheaply and more easily than ever before in human history.

There is no defence for the death penalty and it serves no legitimate or reasonable purpose that life imprisonment does not also accomplish.

nm posted:

For instance enemy combatants, active terrorists, ninja assassins that can't be captured? Sure, though that's more in the area of intelligence/counter-intelligence work and warfare. Actively hostile motherfuckers like that, criminal or not, operate in a shadow territory of lawlessness where the rules of polite society don't really exist. I mean, they do. We have rules of warfare and human rights and whatnot. But there is an entirely practical pragmatic side to warfare mostly completely hidden to the public where in practice no law applies, and I'm not sure for reasons of combat effectiveness and general effectiveness they should. Yes, I realize I'm basically devil's advocating Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. But this is at a level where I wouldn't expect laws to have a place or matter. There's no point in legislating the behaviour of hippopotamuses either, they are pretty much going to ignore you and go about their business and if you arrest one it's probably going to be pointless, frustrating and totally ineffective from a criminally preventative standpoint.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

For things like this, my position is the State doesn’t have to guarantee your safety to a greater degree than the average prisoner. If you’re going to do crimes, you should be prepared to defend yourself.

I think that's a cop out. If you're willing to allow the punishment, do it yourself

Dahmer's my favorite example because the guy who killed him claimed God told him to and my response is ..well..maybe ... Certainly isn't preposterous

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Videos can today be forged with perfect accuracy, as can pictures, audio and any evidence you can think of more cheaply and more easily than ever before in human history.

There is no defence for the death penalty and it serves no legitimate or reasonable purpose that life imprisonment does not also accomplish.

For instance enemy combatants, active terrorists, ninja assassins that can't be captured? Sure, though that's more in the area of intelligence/counter-intelligence work and warfare. Actively hostile motherfuckers like that, criminal or not, operate in a shadow territory of lawlessness where the rules of polite society don't really exist. I mean, they do. We have rules of warfare and human rights and whatnot. But there is an entirely practical pragmatic side to warfare mostly completely hidden to the public where in practice no law applies, and I'm not sure for reasons of combat effectiveness and general effectiveness they should. Yes, I realize I'm basically devil's advocating Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. But this is at a level where I wouldn't expect laws to have a place or matter. There's no point in legislating the behaviour of hippopotamuses either, they are pretty much going to ignore you and go about their business and if you arrest one it's probably going to be pointless, frustrating and totally ineffective from a criminally preventative standpoint.

I'm fairly certain that this little debacle is caused by little more than an imperfect choice of words

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hmm. I like where you're headed with this but I'm concerned that the human element of the cool-rear end navy seals might introduce too many errors into this otherwise perfect system. What are your thoughts vis-a-vis having the executions carried out instead by terrifying, unfeeling flying death robots

You obviously aren’t familiar with the training navy seals have to do. I did the training (not officially but I kept track of all the laps and sit-ups and such and also had my friend Bobo scream in my face with a megaphone to simulate combat). They are ruthless killing machines that can raid some dictator’s palace without a trace, justifiably homicide him, and exfiltrate with extreme prejudice. Robots can get hacked. Navy seals? No way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You obviously aren’t familiar with the training navy seals have to do. I did the training (not officially but I kept track of all the laps and sit-ups and such and also had my friend Bobo scream in my face with a megaphone to simulate combat). They are ruthless killing machines that can raid some dictator’s palace without a trace, justifiably homicide him, and exfiltrate with extreme prejudice. Robots can get hacked. Navy seals? No way.

The naturopathic method is to have state-sponsored killing performed by actual seals.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Seeing as I was a legal advisor to SEALs and wrote a war college paper on why the Obama administration’s drone policy was all manner of hosed up, I find this conversation good and interesting.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Except maybe in the case of charismatic war criminals who could lead some sort of revolution from inside a supermax facility, the death penalty serves no purpose other than massaging our emotions at great expense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Seeing as I was a legal advisor to SEALs and wrote a war college paper on why the Obama administration’s drone policy was all manner of hosed up, I find this conversation good and interesting.

Can you make all your forum friends honorary navy seals, thanks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh, also, the guillotine would be more ethical than the current US system involving the administration of a faulty, paralytic chemical followed by the actual terrifying death chemical.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh, also, the guillotine would be more ethical than the current US system involving the administration of a faulty, paralytic chemical followed by the actual terrifying death chemical.

Yeah no question about that. Even firing squad would be better

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Can you make all your forum friends honorary navy seals, thanks

Probably some sort of stolen valor issue there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

Probably some sort of stolen valor issue there.

If the valor is voluntarily given it can’t be stolen. I learned that much in law school.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Except maybe in the case of charismatic war criminals who could lead some sort of revolution from inside a supermax facility, the death penalty serves no purpose other than massaging our emotions at great expense.

I find it more like a cheap emotional rub and tug myself.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Agreed. Eat the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Agreed. Eat the rich.

I mean, yeah. Obviously.