Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always been able to identify 8,10,12 and 13mm by sight. Allen keys are harder but you only ever need 6, 5 and 4 anyway.

They look different, I'm not sure what the difficulty is :shrug:

gently caress imperial forever though that poo poo makes no sense. What the gently caress is a 9/16th, that's not even a thing :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah nah it's just that whenever I read "tighten the 8mm fork lower bridge tension bolt" I immediately look for something with an 8mm head sticking out, and have to step back and go oh right, that's the 12mm head on an 8mm screw that I need to be looking for.

I also paint all of my tools to make it easy to grab the right one. 8 mm is green, 10 is blue, 12 is red, 14 is yellow, wrenches and sockets alike. Helpful

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah nah it's just that whenever I read "tighten the 8mm fork lower bridge tension bolt" I immediately look for something with an 8mm head sticking out, and have to step back and go oh right, that's the 12mm head on an 8mm screw that I need to be looking for.

I also paint all of my tools to make it easy to grab the right one. 8 mm is green, 10 is blue, 12 is red, 14 is yellow, wrenches and sockets alike. Helpful

Just so you're aware: this is because you're not a mechanic working on these things with a regularity. People that do things with their hands have the experience and knowledge just know that a 6mm bolt has a 10mm head, or that an 8mm bolt is a 13mm, unless it's JIS, then it's 12mm. Either you learn these things, or you don't, but it absolutely is not JIC or SAE or ISO's problem that you can't be arsed to learn the terminology applicable to this field.

Wait until you work on partsbin abortion bikes that have both metric and standard fasteners. Is that bolt head 10mm or 3/8"? I personally replace all my JIS 8mm stuff with actual M8, because I have a PILE of 1/2" wrenches that work just fine on 13mm heads.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but the head of a bolt is the least important part of it. That's just an incidental user interface of many different possible types. The threads are the real working part of it. And the threads are the part that's put under stress when torquing, and the size of the threads (along with type of metal etc) dictates how much torque you can put on it so it makes sense to list that that way in the torque specs. I think I've seen manuals like you said calling an M6 bolt a "6mm" bolt though and that's not really right as far as I'm aware. The name of the threads is M6, which has a standard pitch of 1.0. The diameter of the thing happens to be 6mm but "M6" is the name for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Wait until you work on partsbin abortion bikes that have both metric and standard fasteners. Is that bolt head 10mm or 3/8"? I personally replace all my JIS 8mm stuff with actual M8, because I have a PILE of 1/2" wrenches that work just fine on 13mm heads.

That's called a vrod.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's just like working on a Ford, Engine? 100% imperial, Tranny? 100% metric, everything else? God only knows until your 5/8ths is rounding its corners off. Thankfully "Will It Fit" is my favorite game.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Adjustable wrench for all bolts or bust.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah but the head of a bolt is the least important part of it. That's just an incidental user interface of many different possible types.

This is so backwards. No, just... no.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

Adjustable wrench for all bolts or bust.
"Why are all my bolt heads round?"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm at the part of summer where I can't even imagine being cold on the bike, yet we still have 2 more months of heat. Cooling down a bit at night though, actually feels quite nice at 11pm on the freeway, but I'm still sweaty by the time I get out of my garage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Middle aged car salesman buys a terrible murdered out sportster, gets me to fix the many things wrong with it. Owns it for six months while things continue to go wrong with it thanks to a mixture of PO stupidity and overestimating his own abilities, the entire time being browbeaten to buy a Japanese bike by me.

I don't hear from him for a year.

Sportster is sold and replaced by a VROD imported from the US. Low mileage, good condition, late model, so far so good. Naturally the battery is dead and instead of calling me he calls a battery shop to fit one for him. Battery guy drops one of the little terminal captive nuts straight down the breather hole on the front barrel somehow. So now I've had to take the sump off and fish around to find it, which I did, and in the end the loving battery was the wrong kind anyway so the guy ended up spending like $400 he didn't need to.

:rolleye:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How do you put in the wrong battery? It's stupid easy to cross-reference the numbers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Correct size, correct shape, terminals in the wrong place. No idea how a battery company makes the mistake though.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
It's because it was originally a US bike. Electrons spin backwards below the equator.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

It's because it was originally a US bike. Electrons spin backwards below the equator.

just wire it up backwards, duh

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

I've always been able to identify 8,10,12 and 13mm by sight. Allen keys are harder but you only ever need 6, 5 and 4 anyway.

They look different, I'm not sure what the difficulty is :shrug:

gently caress imperial forever though that poo poo makes no sense. What the gently caress is a 9/16th, that's not even a thing :argh:
Joke's on you. It's actually 35/64ths

Elviscat posted:

It's just like working on a Ford, Engine? 100% imperial, Tranny? 100% metric, everything else? God only knows until your 5/8ths is rounding its corners off. Thankfully "Will It Fit" is my favorite game.

ugh mixed metric is the worst. I should know, I used to have a Ranger, then an Explorer, and now I've got an F150.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 23, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bike fell over while parked on gravel because I'm an idiot in a hurry. :argh:

Broke the mirror stem, dented the tank, scratched all the fairings. No mechanical damage, so I could ride it home at least.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ADINSX posted:

just wire it up backwards, duh
I worked on an RD200 someone had installed a lithium battery backwards in. Absolutely everything worked on it. Ignition, lights, horn, charging system, starter. Ran fine. The way I noticed it was in backwards was that the ground wire on the charging plug, which is exposed when the cap is off, touched the exhaust and melted its wire.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wouldn't the starter spin backwards?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would have thought, had I not seen it. But no, it worked fine. I rode it around before I discovered the battery thing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Series wound DC motors run the same way regardless of polarity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I worked on an RD200 someone had installed a lithium battery backwards in. Absolutely everything worked on it. Ignition, lights, horn, charging system, starter. Ran fine. The way I noticed it was in backwards was that the ground wire on the charging plug, which is exposed when the cap is off, touched the exhaust and melted its wire.

I assume the only reason it didn't explode is the protection system on the battery meant it was protecting it from the reverse polarity charging?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assume the only reason it didn't explode is the protection system on the battery meant it was protecting it from the reverse polarity charging?

Watch it son, 'round these parts people get tarred and feathered for not usin' 'dem gender pronouns properly

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No I'm pretty sure the entire electrical system was just working backwards. It was charging the battery. It didn't have a regulator/rectifier in the modern sense if I remember right, so it didn't have diodes in it. So the only thing in the bike that had a polarity of any kind was the battery itself, and every other component just worked whichever way the electrons tried to flow. That was my guess at the time, anyway.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My conclusion is the lithium battery was so smart it reversed polarity when installed wrong

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

RadioPassive posted:

My conclusion is the lithium battery was so smart it reversed polarity when installed wrong

so did my anus.... once

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LASDHQ/status/1037022428914888705

They estimate the rider crashed at 60-70mph, goes off the side of the road and down the embankment, and ends up with no injuries (they even describe him as not having a scratch). Sounds like his gear held up pretty well, I wouldn't want to hit a bunch of chaparral at highway speeds.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wonder how much the bill will be

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Just had a lady run a stop causing me to swerve into the other lane to avoid her. Gave her the finger and she has the audacity to pull up next to me and tell me it's my fault she ran the stop because she wanted to slow me down. Mind you I was only going 5 over as I was in a nice space of no cars around me. Anyway rev bombed her as she kept trying to yell about how it's my fault and sped off into the sunrise.

Some people just can't accept responsibility for not paying attention and being lovely drivers.

Fun morning commute.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keegers posted:

Just had a lady run a stop causing me to swerve into the other lane to avoid her. Gave her the finger and she has the audacity to pull up next to me and tell me it's my fault she ran the stop because she wanted to slow me down. Mind you I was only going 5 over as I was in a nice space of no cars around me. Anyway rev bombed her as she kept trying to yell about how it's my fault and sped off into the sunrise.

Some people just can't accept responsibility for not paying attention and being lovely drivers.

This is super infuriating.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Keegers posted:

Anyway rev bombed her as she kept trying to yell

The proper response that I fully approve of. What a dangerous idiot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Keegers posted:

rev bombed her as she kept trying to yell about how it's my fault

All I could think of :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdXDGhKJ40

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Keegers posted:

Fun morning commute.

Possibly killing someone is a very reasonable reaction. Bitch should lose her license and you should own half of her property.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Possibly killing someone is a very reasonable reaction. Bitch should lose her license and you should own half of her property.

I don’t think the two were married

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chichevache posted:

I just wish my state had laws against phone usage. The amount of people I see talking away with a phone to their ear is insane. But any law like that is too California liberal agenda. Hint it's Idaho

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

quote:

“The people of the state of Idaho do not want to lose their ability to legally use their electronic devices, whether that’s safe or not by any technical definition is a moot point in my mind. The people have spoken on this issue. If you don’t believe me, the next time you pull up to an intersection and stop for a red light, look around. … I don’t think we should go against … the people’s will on this. … I think the people really through their actions have spoken.”

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2018/feb/28/senate-kills-hands-free-cell-phone-bill-13-22-vote/

:tif: land of the free. It's also a shame because Idaho has a good amount of motorcyclist but it's not very safe for us out here.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Keegers posted:

I just wish my state had laws against phone usage. The amount of people I see talking away with a phone to their ear is insane. But any law like that is too California liberal agenda. Hint it's Idaho

We have a law against it in my country, doesn't seem to stop anyone.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wonder how much the bill will be

I may be wrong on this but I think the sheriff search and rescue helicopter in LA actually ends up being a free ride. I know they don't charge lost hikers when they rescue them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
who the hell lives in idaho