Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Plastic Man #2 (1944)

I love this. Not because Plastic Man apparently solves mental illness with murder, but because he does so with a giant, anachronistic blunderbuss, like he's a big game hunter circa 1850. Killing people is easy, but Plastic Man kills people with style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Keeshhound posted:

Dread quips, he just usually doesn't realize he's doing it.

There's probably some kind of law somewhere about having to utter quips when wasting lawbreakers in order to maintain morale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phy posted:

What kind of space mutant calls it "catsup"

Ketchup used to be a trademarked word.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Phy posted:

What kind of space mutant calls it "catsup"

Various companies that made it over the years.

I guess things were settled Highlander-style when this happened though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Until I was 15 or so I thought ketchup and catsup were two different things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bruceski posted:

Until I was 15 or so I thought ketchup and catsup were two different things.

Heinz would agree with you.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Both words are a corruption of a name for a certain type of fish sauce in Asia. Westerners in the 17th/18th century tried replicating its umami flavors with mushrooms or oysters. It eventually became a general term for fermented sauces, as there were even fruit catsups, which are the more direct antecedents of tomato ketchup and are still a thing in some places (Philippines, Quebec).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didnt even know catsup was a thing until that simpsons scene where mr burns gets confused by the two at the grocery store

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Both words are a corruption of a name for a certain type of fish sauce in Asia. Westerners in the 17th/18th century tried replicating its umami flavors with mushrooms or oysters. It eventually became a general term for fermented sauces, as there were even fruit catsups, which are the more direct antecedents of tomato ketchup and are still a thing in some places (Philippines, Quebec).

Fruit catsup is bad enough, but there's also mushroom catsup.

Doesn't that look delectable?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
How's it smell?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KAtfQcrWak&t=45s

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

darthbob88 posted:

Man, sauces never look good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My man sauce looks great

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was wondering if anybody actually did anything goofy with Wolverine being Canadian. I couldn't find any panels of him apologizing but I did find this:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

Yeah, what sort of weirdo puts ketchup on steak? Next thing you know he'll be ordering it well done.

Clark makes everyone think he's classy by ordering it rare but then he secretly chars it to hell before each bite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Yeah, what sort of weirdo puts ketchup on steak? Next thing you know he'll be ordering it well done.

:vince:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Clark orders it well done but then flies back in time to when it was rare

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TOPICAL

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rhyno posted:

TOPICAL

This would be funny if not for the reports of maga types eating papa johns pizza knowing it's crummy but supporting "the cause".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

This would be funny if not for the reports of maga types eating papa johns pizza knowing it's crummy but supporting "the cause".

do you think the joke is supposed to be that this isn't what those people do all the time?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

do you think the joke is supposed to be that this isn't what those people do all the time?

See: smashing Keurig coffee makers, setting Nikes on fire.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Rhyno posted:

TOPICAL

Years ago, a guy at my job legit did the thing where you'd buy a coffee at Starbucks and say your name was Trump; apparently to protest/troll Starbucks somehow? I guess they expected people to ask them about it, as they kept not-so-subtly taking sips with "Trump" very obviously facing outwards while talking with anyone. No one cared enough to ask or say anything far as I'm aware.

Swear to god they looked just like the guy in that strip, sans MAGA hat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #54

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
God, I would read an entire series of Dick trying to get Bruce to do normal poo poo, especially as an excuse for Father/Son bonding or whatever.

Like, them in a boat fishing, Bruce worrying if Aquauman will kick his rear end. Dick trying to BBQ in the backyard of Wayne Manor, with Alfred on hand with a fire extinguisher.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There's a cute bit like that in Injustice 2. Selina and Bruce are just lounging on the couch, eating Chinese food and Alfred takes a second to thank Selina for being a good influence.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhyno posted:

TOPICAL

Yeah they are currently doing that over Doom Eternal. Apparently some dumb joke in it is offensive to SJWs and people are upset over it.
According to them anyways.

As one of the SJWs that they like to talk about I'm loving hyped for the game (they stuck a grappling hook onto the Super Shotgun) and am slightly annoyed by how now there's two or three video of MAGA types going "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LIBS TRIGGERED!!!!!LOLOL."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"You could sell these people sand in the desert if you told them SJWs don't like it"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah they are currently doing that over Doom Eternal. Apparently some dumb joke in it is offensive to SJWs and people are upset over it.

As one of the SJWs that they like to talk about I'm loving hyped for the game (they stuck a grappling hook onto the Super Shotgun) and am slightly annoyed by how now there's two or three video of MAGA types going "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LIBS TRIGGERED!!!!!LOLOL."

I have to say I'm far more triggered by "Libs triggered!" than I am by equating drinking with a plastic straw the same sitting at the front of the bus in terms of social protest.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i hate it when people declare that the lefties are triggered because my constant curiousity means i then have to struggle to work out what the gently caress im meant to have been triggered by this time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
We are triggered by everything apparently

Meanwhile fascists are burning their shoes because a black man dares to exist

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Maybe "triggered" is code for "getting horny"?

If so, guilty.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
And on that note, this happened in Cosmic Ghost Rider. Spoilered in case people care about that sort of thing and it's the last page of Issue #3.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Same issue

Shut up you like it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why did I not buy that series?

Because I thought it would tie too much into the Thanos comic, that I also never bought.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Good news, it's not done yet

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

David D. Davidson posted:

Okay, so I had to look it up, and apparently this is the whole thing:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/418045-doom-eternal-mortally-challenged-joke-offensively-boring

Somebody on right-wing outrage YouTube decided to make a meal from it and there you go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Okay, so I had to look it up, and apparently this is the whole thing:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/418045-doom-eternal-mortally-challenged-joke-offensively-boring

Somebody on right-wing outrage YouTube decided to make a meal from it and there you go.

quote:

“Mortally challenged,” specifically, is a direct offshoot from the term “mentally challenged,” and it’s a offshoot that’s none too appreciated.

It reminds me more of the 90's where every hack comedian said "you can't say short anymore you have to say vertically challenged" or some other variant about Political Correctness Run Amok. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could find a grainy video of a guy in a bucket hat standing in front of a brick wall saying "Dead, oh wait sorry, I mean 'mortally challenged;"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The most surprising part of this whole derail is finding out that Game Revolution is still around. I used to read it like 20 years ago, which is insane to think about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/wigu/status/1037810498509721600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cap is 100, born in 1918.