Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-am-part-of-the-resistance-inside-nyarlathoteps-death-cult

quote:

For instance, we replaced the orphans It absorbs every “morning” with migrant laborers, and It didn’t seem to notice. When Its appetite turned to Idaho, one of us directed Its soulless gaze up towards the moon. No more moon, of course, but no one can say we ever turned our back on our core constituents.

Motherfuckin’ :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I am not a cop.

But 1: Cops are from a wide range of places and states and types of living environments (rural, suburb, dense city) so their opinions will vary wildly!

2: What the hell is a registered gun owner? That’s not a thing most everywhere in the USA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
America: Where a highly trained cop can't be expected to control himself versus an untrained civilian who is panicking over being confronted by a man with a gun.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The unhinged armed lunatics running around America have badges

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's impossible to ask for a "cop opinion" on something. It's a wildly diverse profession. You have small town departments where every cop is $13 a hour part time and then departments like the NYPD which are 30k sworn officers and then small suburban departments that pay 150k a year.

I work with a cop who is a member of the DSA and another who is a rabid Trump supporter. The four people above me in my immediate chain of command are either female, POC or both, but there's other departments which are, to put it mildly, not very diverse.

Policing in America has no national standard. Criminal law in America has no national standard. What is a violent felony in some states may not even be a crime in others. It makes establishing and evaluating police departments very difficult.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

America: Where a highly trained cop

Don't kid yourself.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I am not a cop.

But 1: Cops are from a wide range of places and states and types of living environments (rural, suburb, dense city) so their opinions will vary wildly!

2: What the hell is a registered gun owner? That’s not a thing most everywhere in the USA.

When I registered my G19, it required two trips to the main police station in DC, about $250 in fees, fingerprinting, and an ID card mailed to me with my photo and the make, model and serial number of my firearm.

Smiling Jack, if you came across someone who came back as a lawful registered gun owner or CCW holder, would that make you more or less inclined to view them as a potential threat?

Edit: nvm, just saw your other post, but I’m still interested in your subjective opinion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smiling Jack posted:

It's impossible to ask for a "cop opinion" on something. It's a wildly diverse profession. You have small town departments where every cop is $13 a hour part time and then departments like the NYPD which are 30k sworn officers and then small suburban departments that pay 150k a year.

I work with a cop who is a member of the DSA and another who is a rabid Trump supporter. The four people above me in my immediate chain of command are either female, POC or both, but there's other departments which are, to put it mildly, not very diverse.

Policing in America has no national standard. Criminal law in America has no national standard. What is a violent felony in some states may not even be a crime in others. It makes establishing and evaluating police departments very difficult.

How would you feel about nationalization of police?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

Don't kid yourself.

The expectation stands. If Police are unable to control themselves, the idea that civilians should be expected to in the face of a gun is laughable.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

The expectation stands. If Police are unable to control themselves, the idea that civilians should be expected to in the face of a gun is laughable.

:hmmyes:

Good point disarm the populace they can't be trusted

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When I registered my G19, it required two trips to the main police station in DC, about $250 in fees, fingerprinting, and an ID card mailed to me with my photo and the make, model and serial number of my firearm.

Smiling Jack, if you came across someone who came back as a lawful registered gun owner or CCW holder, would that make you more or less inclined to view them as a potential threat?

Edit: nvm, just saw your other post, but I’m still interested in your subjective opinion.

it was only until very recently that this was an option and I can still only check NYC residents. There's no accessible state or national registry.

I assume every person I meet is armed anyway. Pay attention to hands and attitude and hope for the best

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

That Works posted:

It's impossible. The balkanization of laws in America at the state, county and municipal level require officers to be trained on local laws, also the massive difference in resources significantly changes functional responses.

I'm gonna effort post on this later, on the phone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smiling Jack posted:

It's impossible. The balkanization of laws in America at the state, county and municipal level require officers to be trained on local laws, also the massive difference in resources significantly changes functional responses.

I'm gonna effort post on this later, on the phone.

Cool. I hear that thrown around now and then and it sound good on paper (with respect at least to a uniform training standard) but I had no idea how it would actually work and how police actually felt about it.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That Works posted:

This is sort of like asking a cop how they feel about becoming part of the British commonwealth.

It could never happen outside a constitutional amendment and is contrary to the basic principals of America, federalism etc. so why think about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Getting rid of our federalist system and nationalizing all of the state governments is the only way to get national policing or laws.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Now for some light-hearted tinpot dictatorory:

The government photographer who took photos of Trump's inauguration cropped then to make the crowd size look bigger after the president personally asked him to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/06/donald-trump-inauguration-crowd-size-photos-edited

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Smiling Jack posted:

it was only until very recently that this was an option and I can still only check NYC residents. There's no accessible state or national registry.

I assume every person I meet is armed anyway. Pay attention to hands and attitude and hope for the best

Part one. Not entirely true. NLETS allows you to inquire based upon license number or ssn.

Part two. True and always watch the hands

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

It's impossible. The balkanization of laws in America at the state, county and municipal level require officers to be trained on local laws

Is there actually such a requirement? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" doesn't seem to apply to the police when people are improperly detained or an officer is unable to explain what they're charging an individual for.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Syrian Lannister posted:

Part one. Not entirely true. NLETS allows you to inquire based upon license number or ssn.

not around here

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:catstare:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Getting rid of our federalist system and nationalizing all of the state governments is the only way to get national policing or laws.

Maybe just a national training and standards program then?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

That Works posted:

some departments have elected sherrifs and pay $13 a hour part time

some departments run their own academies and pay six figures

good luck

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

National training doesn't work unless you're talking about the most basic of things because there are over 51 different sets of criminal laws to enforce. This is because of our dumb "dual-sovereign" setup of government. Federalism was a mistake.

also Burt Reynolds just died.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

National training doesn't work unless you're talking about the most basic of things because there are over 51 different sets of criminal laws to enforce. This is because of our dumb "dual-sovereign" setup of government. Federalism was a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCvBUHMB8ZY

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now my wife thinks Im either a wizard with a crystal ball that fortells the death of celebrities.

"Motherfucker this was posted 18 minutes ago, the body aint even cold. HOW DO YOU ALWAYS KNOW"

And Im all "idunno internet"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Legal abortion, no fault divorce, gay marriage and other rights owe their national application to sovereign States exploring and legalizing those rights first. Marijuana legalization, expended anti-discrimination laws, death penalty prohibitions and other rights exist because sovereign States pass such laws. As more and more sovereign States adopt those rights, it becomes more likely that the Federal government will nationalize them. Without the Sovereign States being able to be these "laboratories of democracy" these rights would either have come into effect much, much later, or not at all.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Now my wife thinks Im either a wizard with a crystal ball that fortells the death of celebrities.

"Motherfucker this was posted 18 minutes ago, the body aint even cold. HOW DO YOU ALWAYS KNOW"

And Im all "idunno internet"

There was a tweet that I can't find anymore and it was like "hey did you hear about <thing from three hours ago>" "yes, I've already heard every possible opinion about this and this conversation now brings me physical pain" and it's shockingly true for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Legal abortion, no fault divorce, gay marriage and other rights owe their national application to sovereign States exploring and legalizing those rights first. Marijuana legalization, expended anti-discrimination laws, death penalty prohibitions and other rights exist because sovereign States pass such laws. As more and more sovereign States adopt those rights, it becomes more likely that the Federal government will nationalize them. Without the Sovereign States being able to be these "laboratories of democracy" these rights would either have come into effect much, much later, or not at all.

Those same laboratories of democracy also went to war with each other over human chattel, instituted jim crow, continue to oppress minorities of every sort, and believe women are property to be owned by their fathers or husbands. Many of them, my current and home states included, have horrific and unconstitutional laws on the books just waiting for a guy like Kavanaugh to get confirmed so civil rights cases can be overturned.

I'm not saying abolishing all home rule is the goal, because that would be ridiculous. There is zero reason to have 50 different legal codes and a competing federal code. There is so much redundancy and inefficiencies inherent to our system that lead to a lot of disparate results. Yes, you're absolutely right, that some good has came from independent sovereignty, however there's just as much horrible poo poo as well. There are ways to balance the competing interests of home rule along with having a universal and standardized set of laws and courts.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

But wouldn’t a base level of training that covers deescalation and proper escalation of force help diffuse use of deadly force by police?

Maybe you get accepted to a PD, get your basic admin knocked out, gear issue, familiarization from that PD as well as a basic level of competency and marksmanship. Then you go to the federal school for a short period of time that covers escalation/deescalation/use of force continuum with case studies and role play/practicals. Then back to where you came from to learn where the state inspection sticker should be.

Hell, throw in Mass Casualty/Terrorism Response training to add some homeland security funding to pay for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

warsow posted:

But wouldn’t a base level of training that covers deescalation and proper escalation of force help diffuse use of deadly force by police?

Maybe you get accepted to a PD, get your basic admin knocked out, gear issue, familiarization from that PD as well as a basic level of competency and marksmanship. Then you go to the federal school for a short period of time that covers escalation/deescalation/use of force continuum with case studies and role play/practicals. Then back to where you came from to learn where the state inspection sticker should be.

Hell, throw in Mass Casualty/Terrorism Response training to add some homeland security funding to pay for it.

Use of force varies by jurisdiction.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Use of force varies by jurisdiction.

Yes, but that only means in some jurisdictions there are more levels to escalate than others. But no matter the district escalation of force is still just that. Teaching to the minimum of 1) no force 2) detain/immobilize/non-lethal and finally 3)lethal and then just adding in the additional layers after the fact at the local level still mitigates that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Burt Reynolds dead

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Burt Reynolds dead

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/charlottesville-unite-the-right-assault/index.html

Dude who punched the Unite the Right organizer the day after the murders in Charlottesville got sentenced

1$ fine for punching a neo-nazi shitstain

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPM78c2lwQ

dead, dead is what i am

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bolow posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/us/charlottesville-unite-the-right-assault/index.html

Dude who punched the Unite the Right organizer the day after the murders in Charlottesville got sentenced

Justice system...good????

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

honestly I don't give a gently caress about dead rich people get at me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bolow posted:

gently caress i got $14 bucks in my wallet right now. Let’s get punchy!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bolow posted:

That's all it costs to punch a nazi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You don't hear this very much, but Democrats absolutely nailed the right candidate for Tennessee Senate (vacated by Corker).

https://twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/1037809830243823616?s=19

Bredesen is the former mayor of Nashville and former governor of Tennessee. This seat should be red as gently caress and not even close.

Also Alex Jones got permabanned from Twitter :toot:

• Locked thread