Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bremen posted:

Given how the bonuses from buildings work, 1 size 20 planet looks like it will remain superior to 2 size 10 planets. But not at the current "don't even bother colonizing small planets" level.

For urban worlds, yes. For resource exploitation worlds there's very little difference, but you probably want to use larger worlds as your production centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bremen posted:

Given how the bonuses from buildings work, 1 size 20 planet looks like it will remain superior to 2 size 10 planets. But not at the current "don't even bother colonizing small planets" level.

Oh yeah for sure 1 big planet still better than 2 small planets, but just not for empire-bloat penalties. You can actually now have your mega-city planet but that size 10 planet still has a role in your empire even if it's just some lovely farms.

I don't like how habitats can't produce resources, I'd often have my empire powered almost entirely by mining drifts and solar complexes but it makes sense from a game balance perspective. From pure mechanics I actually rather like the change because it means you aren't going to want to spam habitats in every possible slot in your empire, only if you have the resources to support them. They are now things your empire supports rather than a potential foundation of your most basic economy, so I feel we'll be liberated from the impulse to over-build habitats.

Also if I can just fill a habitat with solar arrays and mining bays, why can't I just build those things any time in any system on their own? It's not realistic, but in this case the changing is bringing habitats more in-line with the internal consistency of the game setting which says there's only X and Y amounts of space resources in a system, building a habitat won't magically give you more.

My only tiny worry is that before when you built a habitat around a planet with a +4 mineral deposit, you'd get a hab tile with +4 minerals. Will that orbital deposit be lost now?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 6, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like this patch and I am going to build so many habitats.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I really do hope we get a new version of guilli's planet modifiers that lets habitats get different districts depending on where you build them though.

It's nice but I think they'd all end up really samey as they do in vanilla at the moment.

turn off the TV posted:

With basic resources coming from mining stations and habitats seemingly more optimized for resource processing and advanced jobs, I'm hoping this will lead to more ability to run a space based economy. Maybe even set it up as a 4th ascension path that gives bonuses to both mining stations and habitats since they now synergize with each other.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

turn off the TV posted:

It's sort of been said but it'd be amazing if habitats had districts you could only build when they're in specific systems, sort of Station style.
Nebulae, Black Holes, Trinary systems and that sort of stuff. It'd give you something with Leviathans too - maybe the Scavenger thing could allow a specific habitat district and etc.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Taear posted:

It's sort of been said but it'd be amazing if habitats had districts you could only build when they're in specific systems, sort of Station style.
Nebulae, Black Holes, Trinary systems and that sort of stuff. It'd give you something with Leviathans too - maybe the Scavenger thing could allow a specific habitat district and etc.

These kinda make more sense being on stations rather than habitats

I'm glad they're resolving the 'why did I bury minerals on this habitat' question. :awesomelon: A natural question that arises from that is are ringworlds planets or big habitats?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm glad they're resolving the 'why did I bury minerals on this habitat' question. :awesomelon: A natural question that arises from that is are ringworlds planets or big habitats?

Having a load of scientists studying the nearby black hole seems pretty reasonable in a habitat to me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bremen posted:

With basic resources coming from mining stations and habitats seemingly more optimized for resource processing and advanced jobs, I'm hoping this will lead to more ability to run a space based economy. Maybe even set it up as a 4th ascension path that gives bonuses to both mining stations and habitats since they now synergize with each other.

Even if it's not an ascension path, some way of increasing output of space-based resources is really needed. Space resources don't scale at all and that sucks because fighting over valuable systems is a great mechanic for skirmishes that don't involve the complex and diplomatically charged situations you get from conquering planets. Plus it's weird that we can get better and better technology and upgrade our mines, power plants, factories and labs but our stations are the same from the first day to the last.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 6, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The minerals building on habitats is an asteroid mining hangar or whatever so that’s kinda addressed.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We just released some additional customization options for the Humanoid portraits as well as new content for Distant Stars, which my fellow content designers have been working on recently. Free, of course.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1037749722038067201?s=19

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I'd have loved to have seen is the planet screen being replaced with a similar system screen. Exact same system with districts and everything, but have it cover the whole system, they all just contribute district slots and special regions to the system. You'd build a habitat and it would just unlock X more slots for that system. We can only have 1-owner per system now so make the whole planet/system resource economy down to one clean system. You get a tech that lets you build a special mining district on molten worlds, you get an early tech that lets you build asteroid mining colonies. But it's all done via districts and buildings, pooling all the slots of the whole system into one thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LordMune posted:

We just released some additional customization options for the Humanoid portraits as well as new content for Distant Stars, which my fellow content designers have been working on recently. Free, of course.

Humanoids is like the one DLC I don't have, what exactly is the new content? Is it mustaches? I'll pay for mustaches.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

LordMune posted:

Neat - I'm glad they got some additional polish. Some of the humanoid portraits are my favourites. I'm tempted to go look up what was added but I don't want to spoil it... (but in the flip side I'm a little Stellaris'ed out at the moment and don't want to start a new game)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Y'know what i just realized? The only time ive seen an L gate open was by researching. When are those anomaly insights supposed to happen?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

LordMune posted:

That's really good. Although I'm still yet to even open the L-gate, I wish you could use one that's in the territory of a Federation member.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Benagain posted:

Y'know what i just realized? The only time ive seen an L gate open was by researching. When are those anomaly insights supposed to happen?

I believe you only have a chance to get them from anomalies if you have an outpost in a system with an L gate. That has been my experience anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

True story: I've never seen L-gate space that wasn't empty, and I've never been able to start the L-gate quest chain without having to manually gently caress around with triggering events :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I believe you only have a chance to get them from anomalies if you have an outpost in a system with an L gate. That has been my experience anyway.

Specifically there are a bunch of similarly themed anomalies which give you insight into the gates if you complete them after you've found one and started the quest chain.

So don't research them until then.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

LordMune posted:

This owns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Wiz and crew really take their time on this update. Please take as long as you want and charge whatever you want. Just make it really really good without any compromises for budget or time. I'd rather it be $30 and come out next year and be perfect than be $20 and come out in November and be so-so.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Wiz and crew really take their time on this update. Please take as long as you want and charge whatever you want. Just make it really really good without any compromises for budget or time. I'd rather it be $30 and come out next year and be perfect than be $20 and come out in November and be so-so.

The most crucial updates (like the assassination of tiles) are going to be free anyway, so I'm not sure what they could even add of optional content that would be worth $30 by itself. I'd love to see them do it though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Habitat changes are fantastic! Empire bloat being based on districts is fantastic! Size 10 planet? Stick a few mines or farms on it and call it a day. You're not loving yourself over anymore! I like that farms/mines/generators don't really scale all that much, incentivizing a bunch of small resource gathering colonies, while city activities do scale, incentivizing massive city worlds. That is a sensible and fun natural kind of differentiation.

I want to know more about rogue servitor economies! It seems like the really fundamental changes to gestalt robot economies means there's a lot more that needs to be kind of hacked back in to make your biotrophies happy again. Not just being the only robots that need food, they also need to worry about producing luxuries.

But what's the penalty for not having enough luxuries? Do your biotrophies themselves do crimes and cause unrest? Or will sad biotrophies be totally manageable, but make the machines sad and less effective?

Also, they couldn't trade food before, probably because they had super good farms and it'd be weird to balance if they could sell their surplus... but how will that work with the market? If they still have super good farms they'd be in a position to sell surplus, maybe for luxuries or something.

I just imagined rogue servitors flooding the galactic market with cheap food so everyone has plenty to eat because they're worried about all the aliens going hungry.

Baronjutter posted:

Also if I can just fill a habitat with solar arrays and mining bays, why can't I just build those things any time in any system on their own? It's not realistic, but in this case the changing is bringing habitats more in-line with the internal consistency of the game setting which says there's only X and Y amounts of space resources in a system, building a habitat won't magically give you more.
Honestly, I'd be into some kind of habitat-scale space extractor buildings. Something way more intensive than a mere mining station but a much smaller scale than a dyson sphere. Habitat level megastructures for space resources. Make a massive (but not too massive) megastructure mining facility in an asteroid belt that gives +10 minerals, or a massive solar array... anywhere... that gives +10 energy.

It would gently caress up all the balance, but if you like the feel of specializing in space resources that's how I'd do it. Let habitats be space cities that consume and process and house without producing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like Paradox is having a publisher sale on Steam this weekend. Reminder to people looking to fill out their DLC lineup that if you're still in need of something other than Distant Stars check out the Ascension Pack. It's one of those discounted complete-a-collection offers that should give you a bit of an extra discount on top of just the base sale prices.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6186/Stellaris_Ascension_Pack/

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So how does Assimilation work? Just toss everybody in an "Assimilating" job and they filter out once they're converted?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im at work, is there a list of stuff added to l gate stuff?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THS posted:

im at work, is there a list of stuff added to l gate stuff?

Yeah I'd love some patch-notes style list of the things added/changes/mustached

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

True story: I've never seen L-gate space that wasn't empty, and I've never been able to start the L-gate quest chain without having to manually gently caress around with triggering events :(

Be glad, my own only experience with L-gates was seeing them ripped open by the AI, causing mass galactic genocide since literally no-one could handle what came out. In about 20 years, everyone died. Including me and my guys. That was a dumb end to that run. :shepface:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Libluini posted:

Be glad, my own only experience with L-gates was seeing them ripped open by the AI, causing mass galactic genocide since literally no-one could handle what came out. In about 20 years, everyone died. Including me and my guys. That was a dumb end to that run. :shepface:

It's too bad this game wasn't some how more like dwarf fortress where the tale of that galaxy was just an interesting stage of history that added to the lore of your map. "Losing is fun" when even the worst loss adds some "ruin value" to the map. But short of designing a game like this specifically around the premise of a continuous history of the rise and fall of galactic civilization I don't see how it would work out in stellaris.

The best I could think of would be a way to export your map as the foundation of a new game. If you won the game it would turn a fragment of your empire and your biggest rival(s) into fallen empires, if you were the sole superpower it would need to do something else. There would need to be a whole bunch of scripts and triggers that remember major battles and events from your game and turn them into ruins and sites to explore. It would basically need to be a whole big DLC that would be a pain in the rear end to keep working as the game develops.

Would be cool though to horrible lose, then start a new game in the same galaxy like 10,000 years later and find clues to the mass extinction caused by threat X or Y from the last game. Or totally paint the galaxy your colour and start a new game and solve the mystery of this galaxy-spanning empire and why it vanished...

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Libluini posted:

You're just not using your imagination. Maybe that AI was downtrodden spiritualist empire beset by soulless robots and materialist heretics on all sides. They knew that their days are numbered, their peaceful message of a loving creator being no match for +10% research speed or mineral income. In a desperate attempt to escape to safety they opened a portal to the other side of the galaxy, unleashing a plague of darkness on themselves and their neighbors in the process.

But there is a silver lining: their souls will go on to join their ancestors in the Shroud, and one day they may reach forth again to grasp at greatness. Their shortsighted opponents will have no legacy or hope of resurrection, forgotten as soon as the last of their mechanical marvels were destroyed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

seeing the new system in semi-motion in today's video was excellent

full space vicky soon

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

full space vicky soon

You (probably) can't rename jobs. :argh:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eiba posted:

But what's the penalty for not having enough luxuries? Do your biotrophies themselves do crimes and cause unrest? Or will sad biotrophies be totally manageable, but make the machines sad and less effective?
I would love for Million Open Doors style bad robots that chop off peoples heads to steal their memories to entertain a populace thats given up on real life and just lives plugged into VR....

DatonKallandor posted:

Even if it's not an ascension path, some way of increasing output of space-based resources is really needed. Space resources don't scale at all and that sucks because fighting over valuable systems is a great mechanic for skirmishes that don't involve the complex and diplomatically charged situations you get from conquering planets. Plus it's weird that we can get better and better technology and upgrade our mines, power plants, factories and labs but our stations are the same from the first day to the last.

truely ascend! seed the planet with autonomous machines that deliver (40 Minerals + 20 Food) to space and render it uninhabitable!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-42f6.1117674/
Here's what's actually in the updates

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Straight up recruited Silfae to help, pro move imo :eyepop:

Aethernet posted:

I wonder how eating pops will work now - I would assume devouring people would be quite bad for planetary stability, but it's not clear whether you'd need some kind of Consumption job to enable the eating.

This gives me images of a zerg hanging up his hat as he comes home and sighing because he just had a bear of a day at the Rendering Vats drinking biofluid but he does it for his wife and 2.4 billion kids :allears:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 7, 2018

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is anyone else's devouring swarm not working? I'm trying to process these people but...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is anyone else's devouring swarm not working? I'm trying to process these people but...

They're not letting you. Check out the unrest. Move some of them to other planets and replace them with some of your guys people.

Basically you've told a planet to chop themselves up and load themselves into the meat silos and they're all "Uh... no?"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

You're just not using your imagination. Maybe that AI was downtrodden spiritualist empire beset by soulless robots and materialist heretics on all sides. They knew that their days are numbered, their peaceful message of a loving creator being no match for +10% research speed or mineral income. In a desperate attempt to escape to safety they opened a portal to the other side of the galaxy, unleashing a plague of darkness on themselves and their neighbors in the process.

But there is a silver lining: their souls will go on to join their ancestors in the Shroud, and one day they may reach forth again to grasp at greatness. Their shortsighted opponents will have no legacy or hope of resurrection, forgotten as soon as the last of their mechanical marvels were destroyed.

That AI was friendly, open-minded materialist explorers. A bit too open-minded, perhaps. Also for your spiritualists, what is inside the L-Gates would have been their worst nightmares coming alive. They would despair, because the nature of the enemy means there is no hope of resurrection for anyone. The Shroud will be isolated and forgotten. :v:

For heaven's sake do not let them get close to your planets!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

full space vicky soon

Indeed, having now seen the stream. All those additional resources and production chains give me a big Space Happy, especially in my current Factorio Seablock Mod hole. My one concern is the Galactic Market: in ES2 it was an incredibly helpful thing that nonetheless existed in some kind of abstracted economy-space that bore little relation to the actual game and was consequently a bit of an immersion-breaker. Given that they said someone will need to found the market, I'm hoping it's an actual building in the game that can be burnt to the ground by Gay Space Communists.

Ms Adequate posted:

This gives me images of a zerg hanging up his hat as he comes home and sighing because he just had a bear of a day at the Rendering Vats drinking biofluid but he does it for his wife and 2.4 billion kids :allears:

It's a living.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Splicer posted:

Basically you've told a planet to chop themselves up and load themselves into the meat silos and they're all "Uh... no?"

Why does everything have to be a discussion. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wish every game worked like Stellaris, where the developers are constantly updating and giving you information about what's happening.
I feel like modern paradox (and Obsidian too, don't get me wrong, other companies do it) have spoiled other games for me because they actually talk and update us.