Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can the lock screen be visually customized in any way on a Pixel 2 XL running the most current update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Question: somehow I've enabled something on this s9 that prevents apps from running in the background which is dumb because android is pretty good at shuffling apps in and out of memory on its own.

I need a bunch of apps to run in the background. Nest currently doesn't detect I've arrived at home because it's stalled, so I'm forced to open the app and then it wakes up and detects I'm home. Same with SmartThings. Also my podcasts app stays asleep and doesn't detect once I've gotten into wifi, so it doesn't retrieve the newest podcasts unless I open it.

Is there a way to reset all of this background app management ? Because I can't find it anywhere.

Edit: ok found it. OS Options > Apps > hit the options button > reset app preferences

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 6, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FistEnergy posted:

This is why my strategy of jumping ship for the Value Of The Moment is both Cool and Good.

Moto for a few years. Then Huawei. Now Xiaomi or Nokia. Just give me value and quality. I don't want to hear empty promises about updates, and I'm not paying $800-$1000 when everything's got warts.

This is exactly what I do as well. Although I (arguably) messed up and went Oneplus for my most recent phone.

I feel like it's hard for a company to continue producing great things for super competitive prices. I suspect that some of these companies sell certain products at a loss in the hopes that a certain percentage of consumers will stay loyal to the brand? I honestly have no idea but usually a company will come out with a phone that's good and a great value but then 2 years later they're making crap idk.

Nokia is for sure the value phone to get rn. Hell I'm tempted to get one and my phone is still going strong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jonathan posted:

Ok. You seem angry so I'll take that that discussion elsewhere. My apologies.

Me asking you, as a mod, to move your discussion about custom kernels for your phone to the rooted thread, isn't being "angry" fyi

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm trying to figure out how to affect the Wireless Emergency Alerts on my phone. My phone is a Samsung Note 5 and my service is through AT&T. In the last few weeks AT&T keeps pushing emergency Test alerts at all hours of the day. These go off at full ringer volume with my phone on silent or vibrate and continue even though I've gone into the settings and unchecked notifications for test alerts.

I've read the description of how to change these settings from att's site here: https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/interactive/id/interactive_1500011372?make=Samsung&model=SamsungN920A&gsi=3_mNeaY

Searching around online it sounds like you can turn off these Wireless Emergency Alerts, but there are two options for Emergency Alerts listed in the messaging app on my phone and neither are accessible in any way. I'm fine with my phone loudly alerting me when there's extremely dangerous weather, but I don't need a test alarm blaring at 2am or when I'm in the middle of a meeting at work. Am I missing an option somewhere in the android menus?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

The Bluetooth issue I'm willing to blame Mazda. I use a bunch of Bluetooth devices and all work fine and have always worked fine and car electronics are trash and should be considered the weakest point in the chain.

For what it's worth I've had more bluetooth issues since switching over to the iPhone - N6P was always perfect for me whereas the iPhone likes to lose connection to my watch and sometimes fails to connect to the system in my car (also a Mazda)

Also as much as people seem to love iMessage it's been a real mess for me when data isn't working for whatever reason and it isn't too uncommon to see messages out of order in their threads.

While the grass is definitely greener in some places it's still far from a nice even lawn over on the Apple side.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FistEnergy posted:

I really wanted to consider the Mi A2 with Android One but the lack of headphone/SD and small battery was too much to give up.

edit: please tell me this is a Photoshop :wtc:

https://m.imgur.com/r/CrappyDesign/yOSruhi

Lotus seed phone is coming along well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jonathan posted:

Ok. You seem angry so I'll take that that discussion elsewhere. My apologies.

I've asked politely, several times, and you haven't answered me either. I'm not trying to do some gotcha thing, I'm genuinely curious. I've used Linux for a long time and I do some Android app programming as a hobby, but outside of security updates I'm not very well versed in what benefits (if any) feature upgrades in the kernel affect Android phones/tablets.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Mix 2S and probably any future Mix phones have LTE basically everywhere including the US

FistEnergy posted:

edit: please tell me this is a Photoshop :wtc:

There've been rumors of a 5-lens camera coming from Nokia this year since like February, entirely possible this is legit

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Essential got security patching this morning and audio bugfixes too.

:)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jesus. Gf still on July patch, and I flashed the OEM image as she seemed to be getting some delays

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Glad Nokia went all in on the camera like I'd hoped but holy gently caress. I don't know what to make of that. Looks like a robot eye from Ghost the Shell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google has confirmed an October 9th event at 11am in New York.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/09/06/google-pixel-3-october-9th-hardware-event/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My wife's Pixel 2 recently started producing garbled audio on the main speaker. It's evident when playing music or podcasts or putting a call on speaker phone. The normal phone audio doesn't seem to be affected.

This is outside of my expertise but I'm assuming its a hardware issue. Has anyone experienced this and/or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How soon does google go from event to release?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

underage at the vape shop posted:

According to historical trends they should have about twelve units in stock which will sell out before the keynote is over.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Typically 2 weeks or so, I've ordered both the Pixel 1 and 2 during their respective keynotes and had them ship on the 20th and 17th respectively. If they hold to that schedule, at least. They've already moved the drat thing back 5 days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Depends where you are. Canada is always delayed by 1-2 months (which is loving ridiculous tbh).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm hopeful that since Foxconn is manufacturing the phones this year rather than being the 3rd shift assembly line of some OEM, we'll not only have decent initial stock, but ship a bit quicker than two weeks.

Hope anyways.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My wife's Pixel 2 recently started producing garbled audio on the main speaker. It's evident when playing music or podcasts or putting a call on speaker phone. The normal phone audio doesn't seem to be affected.

This is outside of my expertise but I'm assuming its a hardware issue. Has anyone experienced this and/or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly the problem I had on my Pixel 2. It is a hardware issue and the only fix is to RMA it. You'll get a refurb from Google for it and, in my case, it happened with each phone so they ended up giving me a refund.

Good luck!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've asked politely, several times, and you haven't answered me either. I'm not trying to do some gotcha thing, I'm genuinely curious. I've used Linux for a long time and I do some Android app programming as a hobby, but outside of security updates I'm not very well versed in what benefits (if any) feature upgrades in the kernel affect Android phones/tablets.

A mod is getting really unhinged and uppity about this custom rom talk so we should really stop. I've been asked to take my bootloader questions to the rooted Android thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Depends where you are. Canada is always delayed by 1-2 months (which is loving ridiculous tbh).

Australia so I guess ill just buy an s9 or wait till march

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Australia so I guess ill just buy an s9 or wait till march

According to a quick google, the Pixel 2 in Aus was "Tuesday, October 31 at JB Hi-Fi" so you're actually better off than Canada! I got mine from Rogers sometime in November, I was the first one at that store :unsmith:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

According to a quick google, the Pixel 2 in Aus was "Tuesday, October 31 at JB Hi-Fi" so you're actually better off than Canada! I got mine from Rogers sometime in November, I was the first one at that store :unsmith:

That isnt so bad actually. Jb hifi is expensive but the other retailers shouldn't be far behind.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Are the rumours about price usually accurate? I can trade my s8 in to samsung and get the s9 for under a grand, even with the hosed screen. But the rumoured us price for the pixel 3 is also under a grand aud

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rumours are inherently rumours, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the blood type and social security of everyone on the pixel team was out there.
Other-currency conversions can often vary between releases though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Question for anyone who uses either the Imgur app at all, or at least likes to save random memes to their phone, has anyone ran into the Download Manager just straight out doing "download failed" on everything at random times? Since I think the DP2 update all the way until now on my P2XL, I have to open the Download Manager through the notification, clear its data, then it works normally again for some random period of time. I can download a bunch of stuff and it will work. Come back a little later, (Hour-couple days) and it will be back to being completely useless again but I won't know until I see the download failed notification pop up again.

I really think I need to do a Hard Wipe of this phone after going this long without one. Outside of this issue the Phone has been rather ok even going through the DP program itself.

Huh, it also looks like Razer is having a sale on their phone for $400 today.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 7, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's a weird one that's stirring renewed conspiracy theories about a shadow phone development plot.

https://9to5google.com/2018/09/07/google-pixel-3-clips-youtuber-design-team/amp/

Google is apparently asking YouTubers that have trashed the Pixel 3 for permission to use their clips.

Maybe it's just a algorithm run amok spamming out requests to everyone that has mentioned the phone, but it's certainly odd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Here's a weird one that's stirring renewed conspiracy theories about a shadow phone development plot.

https://9to5google.com/2018/09/07/google-pixel-3-clips-youtuber-design-team/amp/

Google is apparently asking YouTubers that have trashed the Pixel 3 for permission to use their clips.

Maybe it's just a algorithm run amok spamming out requests to everyone that has mentioned the phone, but it's certainly odd.

This is so loving weird.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

isn't it probably that they're just gonna do some "lol the phone actually is epic and rules, pwned nerds" corporate snark thing

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

isn't it probably that they're just gonna do some "lol the phone actually is epic and rules, pwned nerds" corporate snark thing

Epic style

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm looking forward to reading the long-term review before Google reveals the phone.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"Hey, let's do a Sega Saturn and release the thing so loving early, ~the community~ did our marketing material for us already"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

And livestteam on a google gaggle, sky dived.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is exactly what I do as well. Although I (arguably) messed up and went Oneplus for my most recent phone.

What in particular don't you like about the Oneplus?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i want to believe the conspiracies because otherwise it'll be a boring presentation

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

swampface posted:

What in particular don't you like about the Oneplus?

The Camera on the back has never focused properly and I've had some pretty serious issues with the phone speaker. I've had an issue twice now where the volume was so low in the headset speaker that I could barely hear the person on the other end. I contacted support about the issue twice and they just had me factory reset my device (which in their defense worked but there were literally hundreds of posts on the Oneplus forumn about this issue on the Oneplus 3 and 3t and resetting the device only worked for a handful of people). To my knowledge Oneplus still hasn't not really acknowledged this issue and has not issued RMAs (I could be wrong). Anyways just look at the Oneplus forums and you'll see people with really horrible experiences because Oneplus is really horrible about QA apparently.

edit: Also I had to reflash my phone when I got the Oreo update because it started bootlooping and Oneplus support told me that it would be a 2+ week turnaround to get a RMA (surprised they even offered me a RMA).

They are attractive phones and I actually like a lot of things about it but I would never buy another one based on my experience. I mean it works and it has Zero lag and Oxygen OS is actually pretty nice (when it works) but Oneplus clearly cuts corners on QA and software development. There are a lot of posts ITT about it but there have been several somewhat high profile gently caress ups that Oneplus has made in regards to security. I would just say get the Pixel but I don't even know about that at this point. I would go with the Nokia tbh.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 7, 2018

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Camera on the back has never focused properly and I've had some pretty serious issues with the phone speaker. I've had an issue twice now where the volume was so low in the headset speaker that I could barely hear the person on the other end. I contacted support about the issue twice and they just had me factory reset my device (which in their defense worked but there were literally hundreds of posts on the Oneplus forumn about this issue on the Oneplus 3 and 3t and resetting the device only worked for a handful of people). To my knowledge Oneplus still hasn't not really acknowledged this issue and has not issued RMAs (I could be wrong). Anyways just look at the Oneplus forums and you'll see people with really horrible experiences because Oneplus is really horrible about QA apparently.

Thanks for the info. People are generally pretty vague when asked why to stay away from Oneplus. I'll go look through their forums a bit.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

bull3964 posted:

Hmmm, this certainly seems like a reliable source who definitely isn't clickbaiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, I'm sure it's all bunk. It's just funny seeing people thrash about.