Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Flip a coin. If you're either relieved or still not convinced, you know what you truly want.

Or, alternatively, a man of great wisdom once uttered from his fingertips, Just Buy It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Still can't get this RMA'ed 1080 Ti to budge above the base clocks. DDU'ed the driver and tried a few different versions, removed and reinserted the card to the PCIe slot to make sure it was fully seated, made sure all cabling was secure at the PSU and GPU, and even pulled the nuclear option of clean installing Win10 Pro 1803. Even with nothing else installed besides GPU-Z and TimeSpy, it won't clock beyond 1569 MHz and 0.8120 V. My TimeSpy score also degraded from just above 9000 to 5592.

Time to contact EVGA support again. Really not wanting to send this thing back and wait another two weeks for a replacement.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did you try one monitor at 1920x1080

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I did try one monitor, but at native 4K instead of 1920x1080. Still no change.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Space Racist posted:

I did try one monitor, but at native 4K instead of 1920x1080. Still no change.

Don't know what refresh rate you're running but according to this table things start to get weird at 144Hz for 4K. If your card's kicking in DSC for real time image compression of the data stream maybe that's why it's acting funny

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Space Racist posted:

Still can't get this RMA'ed 1080 Ti to budge above the base clocks. DDU'ed the driver and tried a few different versions, removed and reinserted the card to the PCIe slot to make sure it was fully seated, made sure all cabling was secure at the PSU and GPU, and even pulled the nuclear option of clean installing Win10 Pro 1803. Even with nothing else installed besides GPU-Z and TimeSpy, it won't clock beyond 1569 MHz and 0.8120 V. My TimeSpy score also degraded from just above 9000 to 5592.

Time to contact EVGA support again. Really not wanting to send this thing back and wait another two weeks for a replacement.

Having you made sure that the power limit is set to the max? I had a friend with a similar issue and it was due to his power limit being set to 50% out of the box for some reason. Increasing it in Afterburner fixed it immediately.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BurritoJustice posted:

Having you made sure that the power limit is set to the max? I had a friend with a similar issue and it was due to his power limit being set to 50% out of the box for some reason. Increasing it in Afterburner fixed it immediately.

I’ll double check tomorrow, but the power limit was at 100% in Precision before I did the latest format. Also tried upping the voltage slider and no change.

In any case I submitted a ticket to EVGA so I’ll see what they have to say.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For what it's worth, EVGA sent me a replacement card through their cross ship program. I didn't even sign up for it and they did it for me. Naturally they put a hold on my credit card for the value of the GPU, but that's no problem considering the convenience of not having to wait.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
After getting sick of blower style cards I moved to the ones like MSI's Gaming X with it's 2 big fans for quiety goodness, since the new 1st party cards are already going to have non blower style fans, I wonder what the 3rd party ones will do to make me want their version. I mean, they're all reference boards so :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, if we compare by price point the 2080Ti gets compared to the Titan Xp I guess?

Which one? The Titan XP or the Titan Xp or the Titan Xpp or the Titan Xppp

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
For the non-US of us, EVGA currently has some pretty decent gpu+psu bundles up: https://eu.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx

Seriously debating picking up a 1070ti or so.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phosphine posted:

For the non-US of us, EVGA currently has some pretty decent gpu+psu bundles up: https://eu.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx

Seriously debating picking up a 1070ti or so.

The 1070Ti + 750W G3 PSU is mighty tempting at 489€. You basically get the PSU for free... and on my local Amazon that same combo would be 716€, making this sort of a ~30% discount (yeah I know Amazon isn't the cheapest). GPUs are still wildly overpriced in most online shops.

Sadly I don't have the money to splurge right now :smith: and I really want to see how the new cards shake out, because either they'll be tons better than the 10XX series and then I'll snag a used 1070Ti or 1080 on the cheap, or they flop miserably in which case they can't keep extortionate prices for long, especially for the lower end 2070 / 2060, then I'll get one of those.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

After getting sick of blower style cards I moved to the ones like MSI's Gaming X with it's 2 big fans for quiety goodness, since the new 1st party cards are already going to have non blower style fans, I wonder what the 3rd party ones will do to make me want their version. I mean, they're all reference boards so :shrug:

Not all of them, we know that at least EVGA already has custom boards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXOib1558Uw

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a particular reason EVGA only does GPU+PSU deals in EU versus pure GPU deals in the US?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Holy Jesus, Amazon jacked the price of my 1080 Ti by 70 dollars after I purchased it. I am glad I got it when I did but are prices ever just become stable for once?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Amazon uses variable pricing, based on users, frequency of purchases, time of day, etc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Holy Jesus, Amazon jacked the price of my 1080 Ti by 70 dollars after I purchased it. I am glad I got it when I did but are prices ever just become stable for once?

Things are going to bounce around since we're so close to release of a new generation, but the 10xx stock won't really be stable at all anymore. It'll jump around from firesale prices to "No one has stock so we'll gouge to catch people who have no choice".

I think it's kind of crazy to buy a 10xx new right now when you'll likely find some ridiculous used prices really soon, but to each their own.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

Things are going to bounce around since we're so close to release of a new generation, but the 10xx stock won't really be stable at all anymore. It'll jump around from firesale prices to "No one has stock so we'll gouge to catch people who have no choice".

I think it's kind of crazy to buy a 10xx new right now when you'll likely find some ridiculous used prices really soon, but to each their own.

I got a New EVGA for the step up in the off chance that the new cards are like 100% improvements. Also my 1060 just died on me.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Depending on use case I don't think it's crazy. I bought one of EVGA's $400 1080s a couple weeks ago and I'm satisfied. I built a new computer and wanted something new instead of jamming my old 780 in it. I'm actually able to play the BFV beta plus all the older stuff my 780 couldn't handle well, plus at 1440p instead of 1080p.

Could I have waited for a 2070 to drop and not be >$500? Sure. But that might take a while. If I was on a 980 or something I probably would have.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I grabbed a 1080ti new with that ebay coupon and fully intend to just do the step up to a 20xx card. I want something that can max out my 1440p ultrawide and the 2080 looks like the closest I'll get without blowing over a grand on a card.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Depending on use case I don't think it's crazy. I bought one of EVGA's $400 1080s a couple weeks ago and I'm satisfied. I built a new computer and wanted something new instead of jamming my old 780 in it. I'm actually able to play the BFV beta plus all the older stuff my 780 couldn't handle well, plus at 1440p instead of 1080p.

Could I have waited for a 2070 to drop and not be >$500? Sure. But that might take a while. If I was on a 980 or something I probably would have.

I was in the same boat. I been using a 1060 for 1440p gaming for the last year since I was a dummy and did not check the specs of the gsync monitor was buying before opening it. Now that my 1060 is on the fitz, and I have the money for it now, I figured why not get a new 1080TI? I am pretty sure I can die not knowing the world in ray tracing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I would say the 1080ti is possibly just too expensive for what you get. It's also going to be hotter, and thus probably noisier stressing out your power supply and warming everything else in your case.

Plus if the world of ray tracing ends up being so amazing so soon, it'll be a lower price flip.

I'm not really saying not to get one (i have one, but only because of crypto flipping) but you asked!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The 1080 is the high point on the value curve right now. 1080 Tis aren't dipping much below $600 right now, you can pick up a used/refurb 1080 for like $350 easily, so the 1080 Ti is like a 70% step in price for a 30% step in performance.

Unless the 1080 Ti dips below $600, the 2080 at $750 (the basic EVGA open-cooler card) is a better deal IMO. Almost the same price-to-performance as the 1080 Ti but with the wildcard of DLSS potentially offering you 40% speedups in supported titles, if that works out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 6, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 1080 is the high point on the value curve right now. 1080 Tis aren't dipping much below $600 right now, you can pick up a used/refurb 1080 Ti for like $350 easily, so the 1080 Ti is like a 70% step in price for a 30% step in performance.

Unless the 1080 Ti dips below $600, the 2080 at $750 (the basic EVGA open-cooler card) is a better deal IMO.

You mean 1080 non ti, correct?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, fixed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man, I need some of them American used-slash-refurb prices here in Europe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I sort of feel like I should go get $275 for my 1070 while I still can, but I have no idea what I’d replace it with. I guess I could step up to a nice 1080 and not have to worry about Gsync at 1440/144 in competitive games; but I’d sort of rather just get Gsync and keep the 1070 and enjoy whatever it can crank out of lush AAA games at that point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 1080 is the high point on the value curve right now. 1080 Tis aren't dipping much below $600 right now, you can pick up a used/refurb 1080 for like $350 easily, so the 1080 Ti is like a 70% step in price for a 30% step in performance.

Unless the 1080 Ti dips below $600, the 2080 at $750 (the basic EVGA open-cooler card) is a better deal IMO. Almost the same price-to-performance as the 1080 Ti but with the wildcard of DLSS potentially offering you 40% speedups in supported titles, if that works out.

Hell, I got a brand new EVGA 1080 for $365 a week ago because of sales, you don't even have to go used/refurb if you search around and have a bit of luck. I might even be able to do a step-up to a 2080 if I end up wanting to.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Craptacular! posted:

I sort of feel like I should go get $275 for my 1070 while I still can, but I have no idea what I’d replace it with. I guess I could step up to a nice 1080 and not have to worry about Gsync at 1440/144 in competitive games; but I’d sort of rather just get Gsync and keep the 1070 and enjoy whatever it can crank out of lush AAA games at that point.

Gsync owns, get gsync.

Stepping up to a gsync 1440p high refresh monitor made a bigger difference in how things felt than any other upgrade I've done recently.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Aren't most games a fair bit below 144 FPS on 1440p, or does G-Sync render most of that irrelevant?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
While a 1070 to a 1080 is noticeable I dont know if its worth it on 144 hz gsync at this point in time if you have to pay any real money in the difference. I've been there more than once and they kind of provide similar experiences. Now if you can swing a used 1080ti then its a huge perceived difference imo. Specifically for 1440p 144hz monitors

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

That makes sense since the 1080TI in Canada is close to $1050 and the 2080 is about $1150. I cancelled my 1080Ti order and got back in line for the 2080.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you're talking about used/refurb, 1080 Tis are hovering around $500 (so $425ish with an ebay sale). 1080s are still a better deal, but that's not too bad if the performance boost is important. If they follow the 980 Tis trend and RTX doesn't turn into make-or-break technology in the next few years, I'd expect them to stay over $300 (used, non-sale) for the lifespan of the transferable warranty, so probably not too much depreciation premium if you can get a good sale price. Especially given the price increase in the 20X0 line.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

That makes sense since the 1080TI in Canada is close to $1050 and the 2080 is about $1150. I cancelled my 1080Ti order and got back in line for the 2080.

If you follow bapcsalescanada you can grab them in the high 800s or low 900s.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

jesus that sounds awful. What if your friend in the US gave you a gifted 1080ti and you lent him an amount close to the used value in USD at a separate time?

Do they still make you pay a customs tax on a gift?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

jesus that sounds awful. What if your friend in the US gave you a gifted 1080ti and you lent him an amount close to the used value in USD at a separate time?

They made me pay customs on a camera that I had repaired in the states and was shipped back to me. A brand new $1k pc part they'd catch it and you'd both be fined or more likely he'd just have to pay customs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Risky Bisquick posted:

Amazon uses variable pricing, based on users, frequency of purchases, time of day, etc

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Amazon, and GN has said that they have a report coming in a bit, is also (ab)using their market position to prevent board partners from raising their MSRP so that they don't go upside-down on cards because of the tariffs killing their profit margins entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xO3NmReW8&t=221s

Would not be surprised if this has anything to do with that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

They made me pay customs on a camera that I had repaired in the states and was shipped back to me. A brand new $1k pc part they'd catch it and you'd both be fined or more likely he'd just have to pay customs.

i would give you a butt 1080ti i feel so bad for you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Never heard of this subreddit, thanks!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

In your hypothetical totally not real situation, the answer is no tax.

mewse posted:

Never heard of this subreddit, thanks!

:canada: no problem comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Are people expecting 2060s to be rebadged 1070s, or 1070tis, or even 1080s?