Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

got my hands on some good poo poo this weekend. an anthology of persian poets such as rumi and hafez and a bunch of others plus a translation of Du Fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Heathens, but at least civilized heathens

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

got my hands on some good poo poo this weekend. an anthology of persian poets such as rumi and hafez and a bunch of others plus a translation of Du Fu.

that the georg johannessen version? it's good, very brechtian

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

that the georg johannessen version? it's good, very brechtian

yeah, that's the one.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

ulvir posted:

hello what's the collection called

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

jagstag posted:

hello what's the collection called

if you can read Norwegian its called Fra vinhus og moské. its not a big collection, but I'll take what I can get

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
if youre going to read works in translation why bother reading a translation into one of those other irrelevant languages

yes hello i'd like to purchase this copy of the odyssey translated into esperanto, the peace-loving language of all nations

shame you don't have it in enochian but i'll take what i can get eh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol if it's your native language why the hell not

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

ulvir posted:

if you can read Norwegian

im going to kill myself

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there's probably some collections in english somewhere?

V. Illych L. posted:

lol if it's your native language why the hell not

I usually prefer translations into norwegian where I can get them. some exceptions are like the iliad/odyssey, where there's vastly better translations in english available. and obviously when a book is written in english in the first place, I'll always read the original (same with danish and swedish)

even with a good proficiency in english, there’s something to be said for reading in your L1

ulvir fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

if youre going to read works in translation why bother reading a translation into one of those other irrelevant languages

yes hello i'd like to purchase this copy of the odyssey translated into esperanto, the peace-loving language of all nations

shame you don't have it in enochian but i'll take what i can get eh

You seem very stupid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hell, i guess there's about as many people who speak norwegian as there are people who speak esperanto. can't really think of any major differences between these two languages..

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is this the point where I just outright state that norwegian is my native language and that that's the reason why I actually bought that collection, or what

edit: but anyway the translators do mention some english collections of persian poetry in either the foreword or the afterword. I can try to dig up their suggestions for jagstag and others later on

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 3, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Pretty much everyone I've spoken to agrees that the Russian classics are worse in English than in Finnish

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ulvir, do you have any opinions on the quality of Bartlett's translations of Knausgaard? It has struck me more than once that Karl Ove's prose seems like it would be easily translatable, but then I know nothing at all about Norwegian syntax or idioms.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I'm kidding guys. Ulvir I'm sorry I made fun of your barbarous northman tongue

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I want a Latin translation of Ulysses

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

In the vein of 'Harrius Potter', 'Winnie Ille Pooh' and 'Hobbitus Ille'. It will be called simply ... 'Ulysses'

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hi I finished Poisonwood Bible and was very impressed but mostly i was upset by my own ignorance of the goings on anywhere in the world beyond my doorstep. does anyone have suggestions for fiction that also teaches you real world history, as that book did? Or even some very engaging history books about anywhere in the world other than 'the west'?

Also about 3/4 through vertigo and... uh... wow. this book is crazy. at first i was wondering how any reviewer could possibly describe it as 'alarming' but yeah, i'm alarmed.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

Ulvir, do you have any opinions on the quality of Bartlett's translations of Knausgaard? It has struck me more than once that Karl Ove's prose seems like it would be easily translatable, but then I know nothing at all about Norwegian syntax or idioms.

No, sorry. But from what I’ve read of him, he only sparsely uses traditional idioms. English and Norwegian are both SVO languages though, so it should be fine. I’ve read Saramago in both english and norwegian, and his works “sounds”/feels pretty much the same in both languages, for what it’s worth.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I'm kidding guys. Ulvir I'm sorry I made fun of your barbarous northman tongue

my barbarous tongue allows me to read three different languages so I’m pretty fine with it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm reading Lem's A Perfect Vacuum, it's a bunch of reviews of books that don't actually exist in the vein of Platonov. It's really good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

my barbarous tongue allows me to read three different languages so I’m pretty fine with it

Yeah but each one is only a third of a real language

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

well at least we don't do that stupid thing you guys always do where you call dialects accent for some reason

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just got xorandor by christine brooke rose and im a sci fi reader now so will be leaving this thread forever goodbye

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

I just got xorandor by christine brooke rose and im a sci fi reader now so will be leaving this thread forever goodbye

it any good?

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Lem's A Perfect Vacuum, it's a bunch of reviews of books that don't actually exist in the vein of Platonov. It's really good.

Would be fun to survey the fictional reference/compendium/anthology genre. What else is there? Nazi Literature in the Americas, some Borges, maybe Pale Fire depending on the parameters.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vila-Matas’ Bartleby&Co. fits the bill and is pretty good

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Many thanks to the multiple people here who recommended Rachel Cusk, I'm in the middle of the Outline trilogy and it's really good. Any recs on any of her earlier books?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Farewell, and welcome to the science fiction thread.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

MystOpportunity posted:

Would be fun to survey the fictional reference/compendium/anthology genre. What else is there? Nazi Literature in the Americas, some Borges, maybe Pale Fire depending on the parameters.

Perec's A Gallery Portrait is very, very good, probably my favourite in that genre.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I guess Life a user's manual (which owns) might fit that too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MystOpportunity posted:

Borges yeah (Lem references him as a basis for APV), Platonov's Anti-Sexus.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Would Invisible Cities count?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

Would Invisible Cities count?

No, but if you meant If on a winter's night, yes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm finally getting around to reading Charles Dickens: Last of the Great Men by G.K. Chesterton and y'all would love and hate it

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
it was the best of books, it was the worst of books

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012
newly translated mishima coming out this november, the frolic of the beasts. still waiting on kyoko's house.....

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MystOpportunity posted:

J.G. Ballard did some stuff in that vein, but they were short stories rather than actual novels. The ones I'm thinking of were collected in War Fever, I think, but I swapped that for the rat-killing monster Complete Stories collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nostos posted:

newly translated mishima coming out this november, the frolic of the beasts. still waiting on kyoko's house.....

:neckbeard: