Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So after I bought my AW3418DW last December, my previous Acer XB271HU that I'd bought from the Costco sale earlier in the year for $499 and used lighly for several months, has mostly just sat and been used as an occasional work monitor since. So I'm wondering what a reasonable asking price for it would be since it was used lightly for the last year and a half?

I offered to sell it to a coworker but his offer was very lowball ($200 initial, eventually offering up to $275), but I feel like it's worth more than that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SourKraut posted:

So after I bought my AW3418DW last December, my previous Acer XB271HU that I'd bought from the Costco sale earlier in the year for $499 and used lighly for several months, has mostly just sat and been used as an occasional work monitor since. So I'm wondering what a reasonable asking price for it would be since it was used lightly for the last year and a half?

I offered to sell it to a coworker but his offer was very lowball ($200 initial, eventually offering up to $275), but I feel like it's worth more than that...

I'd say you should be able to get at least ~$350 for it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SourKraut posted:

Yeah that's crazy low. They retail what, 650? I got mine open box from Amazon for a hair over 500 and I thought that was a great deal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
$375-400 is a good price for that used XB271HU. $350-375 if it's a good friend. $350's the lowest the 2716's ever gone brand new, and the IPS screen of the Acer commands a premium, even used.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

SourKraut posted:

Tell him you have someone online offering $400 for it shipped to MN.

Related, I'll give you $400 for it shipped to MN.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Tell him you have someone online offering $400 for it shipped to MN.

Related, I'll give you $400 for it shipped to MN.

You should do this, but can't you just return it to Costco for a full refund? I just checked and monitors don't seem to be included in their 90-day return window condition, which unless I'm mistaken means they'll take it back anytime?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The BenQ GW2765HT is $300 and while it's an older model it's a good monitor, 1440p and good for both text and gaming.

Zero VGS posted:

I would say that getting a monitor should go in this order of priorities:

Get IPS, then if you can afford it, get 21:9 Ultrawide, then if you can afford it, get G-Sync. Refresh rate is kind of overrated in my experience, 75-90hz is noticeably better than 60, but don't go out of your way for 120, it's diminishing returns. Ultrawide is awesome for watching movies (it's pretty much exact cinema ratio) and 9 out of 10 games I try to play support it. I can't stress enough how awesome it is for games, and if you're on a budget, the LG 29-inch ultrawide 75hz IPS, can be had for under $250: https://www.amazon.com/LG-29WK600-W-29-UltraWide-21/dp/B078GL93KG/

Also, the one other thing to consider for a desk setup is a good monitor arm. Amazon sells a re-badged Ergotron in their Basics line which I can vouch for: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O/ Buy it once and you can use it probably for life on any VESA monitor.

I'm including AVLR's old post because I was planning on buying the model they recommended until just now. Zero's post is a pretty wild contrast to the refresh rate circlejerks I see in other threads... is Ultrawide really that big of a deal? Now you've got me weighing that against the bump in text crispness from 1440p

Nevermind, I looked at my wife's 1080p Ultrasharp and as much as I want to save money I just can't do the dim backlight and fuzzy text anymore. I guess GW2765HT is it, unless there are any decent 24" 1440p displays? There's a used GW2765HT on Amazon for $100 under retail, is that a good or terrible idea?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 6, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Should I buy the AOC Agon? I'm looking at 144hz / 1440p, sync not important. Is there any alternatives someone can recommend?

I got this, it's pretty good. TN panel is surprising OK after a colour correction icc profile. Horizontal obliques go yellow / vertical are blue but I only look directly at the monitor so that's ok with me

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Whitest Russian posted:

So I've been thinking about upgrading in the monitor department. I originally purchased 2 of these a while back. A few years have passed and I've become a financially stable adult so I've been thinking about upgrading. I figured I should ask some questions about that.

Should I do it now or wait till Black Friday.
Should I replace both of the monitors I have now? They both work fine and there's nothing wrong with them.
Would I be able to find something good with following criteria: 1440p, 120hz refresh, 27", GSYNC (debating this one)

Or should I make the switch to a wide, curved, single monitor?

Bringing my post back if someones got any input.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whitest Russian posted:

Bringing my post back if someones got any input.

It's personal preference but the 1440p higher refresh rate widescreen monitors seem really nice. I'd be tempted to do something like that next. You should replace your monitors unless you're getting a single really nice monitor, then you can use one or both of the old ones as secondary.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The XB271HU bmiprz (IPS) is the go-to for good reason. If that's too expensive, S2716DG. If you want to spend more than that, Dell AW3418DW.

No sense in getting two nice gaming monitors so if you want dual-screen go for one of the various Acer 27" 60 Hz 1440p IPS monitors as your second monitor, which periodically drop to ~250.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The XB271HU bmiprz (IPS) is the go-to for good reason. If that's too expensive, S2716DG. If you want to spend more than that, Dell AW3418DW.

No sense in getting two nice gaming monitors so if you want dual-screen go for one of the various Acer 27" 60 Hz 1440p IPS monitors as your second monitor, which periodically drop to ~250.

That thought hadn't crossed my mind but makes alot of sense. Thanks for the help.
I'm still wondering if I should say gently caress it and go ultrawide or not. I just don't have a way to test it out in person beforehand, which is why I don't want to pull the trigger.I went to my local best buy but they didn't have ultrawides on display.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 6, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just shake your head really fast. WiIIiIiiiIiidescreen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whitest Russian posted:

That thought hadn't crossed my mind but makes alot of sense. Thanks for the help.
I'm still wondering if I should say gently caress it and go ultrawide or not. I just don't have a way to test it out in person beforehand, which is why I don't want to pull the trigger.I went to my local best buy but they didn't have ultrawides on display.

It takes about a week and a half to get used to it (to where you move your eyes and not your head) and find a proper placement on your desk/place to sit to get all of it within your field of vision. Pretty much the same acclimation period to get used to a new keyboard if the layout is different.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 7, 2018

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Are any of these recommended more than others?

BenQ - GW2765HT
Asus - ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Acer - XB270HU
Asus - MX27AQ

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Out of those, the XB270HU bprz is IPS 144 Hz and is the best monitor there, but Acer has an updated model that goes to 165 Hz (the XB271HU bmiprz). If you can find a nice discount on the XB270HU then go for it.

Be aware that Acer has another model, the XB271HU abprz, with a part number that ends in A01, with a 1ms response time (it is not actually a 1ms response time, but that's what Acer claims). It's a nice enough panel, on par with that Asus PG278Q or the Dell S2716DG, so if it's cheaper then don't feel too bad about it, but it is not IPS. Acer's IPS part numbers end in 001, or newer revisions are like 009 or something, but never have an ending in A01 or anything like that, and response times should be 4ms. The viewing angles on 27" TN panels are not great, they are big enough you get color shift on the sides/corners, and the IPS are an all-around better panel, but they are like 20% more expensive.

The MX27AQ and GW2765HT are nice enough panels for a second monitor, but they are only 60 Hz and don't have GSync. At least for your primary monitor, 120+ Hz GSync is really nice to have if you will be gaming. If you don't want GSync, look for something at $250-300 like that GW2765HT or the Acer CB271HU. But past $300, you should just suck it up and buy a S2716DG ($400-450) or a refurb XB271HU ($525, maybe less if you can get a deal with an eBay coupon).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 7, 2018

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Out of those, the XB270HU bprz is IPS 144 Hz and is the best monitor there, but Acer has an updated model that goes to 165 Hz (the XB271HU bmiprz). If you can find a nice discount on the XB270HU then go for it.

Be aware that Acer has another model, the XB271HU abprz, with a part number that ends in A01, with a 1ms response time (it is not actually a 1ms response time, but that's what Acer claims). It's a nice enough panel, on par with that Asus PG278Q or the Dell S2716DG, so if it's cheaper then don't feel too bad about it, but it is not IPS. Acer's IPS part numbers end in 001, or newer revisions are like 009 or something, but never have an ending in A01 or anything like that, and response times should be 4ms. The viewing angles on 27" TN panels are not great, they are big enough you get color shift on the sides/corners, and the IPS are an all-around better panel, but they are like 20% more expensive.

The MX27AQ and GW2765HT are nice enough panels for a second monitor, but they are only 60 Hz and don't have GSync. At least for your primary monitor, 120+ Hz GSync is really nice to have if you will be gaming. If you don't want GSync, look for something at $250-300 like that GW2765HT or the Acer CB271HU. But past $300, you should just suck it up and buy a S2716DG ($400-450) or a refurb XB271HU ($525, maybe less if you can get a deal with an eBay coupon).

That is alot of part numbers you threw out there.I appreciate the help and I'll be looking into them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

The Philips 499P9H offers a 5120 × 1440 resolution, which is called DQHD (dual quad HD), and is designed to substitute two 27-inch 2560 × 1440 monitors. Based on what we know about this panel unofficially, it has a 1800R curvature and supports refresh rates up to 120 Hz. B2B monitors featuring the panel will likely support a 60 Hz refresh rate, whereas their gaming counterparts will likely gain AMD’s FreeSync technology and a dynamic refresh rate between 48 Hz and 120 Hz (or 30 Hz and 120 Hz). Meanwhile, since we are dealing with a VA panel, expect a high contrast ratio along with 178º/178º vertical/horizontal viewing angles.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13333/philips-preps-499p9h-curved-49inch-5k-display

(too bad it's VA but they don't seem to be able to splice TN or IPS panels, nobody even makes them for the 24" version)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 7, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am currently running a 25" Iiyama 1080p screen and would like to upgrade, some advice would be appreciated. The use will be split between work laptop (80% of the time) which is a lenovo T470 and my desktop, which is mostly internet stuff and a bit of gaming (which seems to be less as I get older). I was pretty much sold on a Dell 32" 4k screen (u3219q) which has a USB-C input as well which would be awesome as I can plug my laptop straight in. Looks like it also works as a KVM so I could just use one keyboard and mouse.

The thing I am thinking about is it's a 60hz screen. I have my current one at 75Hz and it's a nice difference and I think I would prefer a higher refresh rate. Should I get a AW3418DW instead? Working on a high refresh rate screen really appeals... but the 4k big screen also looks awesome and the USB-C will be really handy. Help!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Alright, monitor finally kicked the bucket. I think I'm going to hold off on getting into high framerates/HDR/>1080p for now and just get something to replace my U2311H. The U2417H looks like a decent contender. It's a little expensive for me right now. I'm not a profession graphics person so I can do without the pre-calibration. I'm trying to check out their non-Ultrasharp line, but no one besides random YouTubers seem to give a drat about reviewing anything but the Ultrasharps. Dell's own horrible comparison thing sucks. I have never seen it correctly line up stats for any monitors.

I want:
- 1080p (can't drive anything higher)
- 60FPS (ditto)
- decent response timing for gaming (but I am by no means competitive)
- the pretties picture I can get

I'm not married to Dell, so I'll take into account any recommendations.

In particular I'm interested in these:
S2419HM - It seems to have the same 'stats' but it's HDR ready! Yay?
S2419HN - Again has the same stats, but is about $100 cheaper. Is it just because of the lack of inputs and pre-calibration, or is the U2417 worth the markup?

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 9, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Just wanted to thank the thread and AVeryLargeRadish in particular, bought an Amazon Warehouse Deals GW2765HT for $250 and I am blown away by the value. Games are beautiful and I can split screen two full work windows. 27" or bust!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Unsinkabear posted:

Just wanted to thank the thread and AVeryLargeRadish in particular, bought an Amazon Warehouse Deals GW2765HT for $250 and I am blown away by the value. Games are beautiful and I can split screen two full work windows. 27" or bust!

No problem, I'm glad I was able to help and I'm glad you're happy with the monitor. :)

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I am looking for monitor recommendations.

There are 3 hard requirements: * I connect it to my laptop, which has a high-end Nvidia gaming graphic card but remains a laptop * I have to use it for work, which is mostly coding and programming * I will use it for single-player non-competitive gaming ranging from strategy games, to RPGs to shooters

In addition, I have no hard budget constraints but would like something sensible. Something not overly flashy and suitable for a regular desk is a big bonus.

Giving these requirements, I was thinking a 27-inch 1440p monitor, considering the constraints of a laptop. I am unsure on how important features such as 144Hz or G-Sync are, giving my non-competitive gaming profile.

A recommendation some googling gave me is the Dell Ultrasharp U2715H but, if I understand correctly, it has no 144Hz or G-Sync so unsure about its gaming qualities and if there might be different good options.

What do you think?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
XB271HU bmiprz (be aware there is also an abmiprz with TN and a 1ms response time, which is inferior to the IPS version) , or if you want to save some money go with the Dell S2716DG or S2417DG. There are no 60 Hz 1440p GSync monitors.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
What’s a good 1440p IPS monitor that is 60hz and doesn’t have gsync?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lackmaster posted:

What’s a good 1440p IPS monitor that is 60hz and doesn’t have gsync?

Most IPS 1440 monitors are going to be good but if you want a nice stand and good color accuracy the Dell Ultrasharp line is hard to beat.
https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2717D-27-inch-InfinityEdge/dp/B01D402Z28

If you want cheaper there's a lot of 27" 1440p IPS screens in the $250 range like this viewsonic that will be really great for normal use:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0749R9Q3J/

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Not sure what graphics card you have in your laptop, but gsync is magic if you cant maintain 60 fps in a game.

I drive a 1440p gsync monitor with a laptop that has a gtx 980, and for games that I crank up the graphics and run at say 50 fps, I get a smooth 50 fps. If I was on a regular 60hz monitor, that would jump down to 30fps every time I dipped under 60fps, or get screen tearing and stuttering. It's very noticeable if you are going above and below 60 fps.

If you can run everything no problem above 60 fps, probably not as big of a deal. It's really nice running shooters at 100+ fps (and other games feel smoother), but if you haven't yet experienced it you wont be missing anything.

mem fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 15, 2018

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I need help. Understand, my situation is VERY obscure, and I need pro help... sigh... here we go...

I have one HDMI camera, one wireless HDMI receiver, and an HDMI splitter outputting the same signal twice, one to a seperate monitor and one going to an HDMI switch along with the other two that then goes to an HDMI 1x8 splitter and before you ask why I have this complicated setup it's for a sporting event (professional wrestling) and we're switching cameras and feeds on the fly, one hard cam one roaming cam and a PC for playing videos. (phew)

NOW I want to be able to switch without a ton of EDID and HDCP handshaking. I think the main problem is in the HDMI switch itself; the two splitters seem to be almost instant already, but the switch itself is causing a ton of HDMI handshakes because it was manufactured by Radio Shack and apparently cost these people very little money. I want a Crossbow, but they're sold out. I need something else, and preferably something cheap. I'll spend the money if I have to, but I cannot afford the thousands of dollars that a Roland V-4EX or something similar costs.

What are my options and what else do I need to upgrade to make this happen? I want to press a button and switch from camera 1 to camera 2 to camera 3 to camera 1 to camera 3 to camera 2 and without all the goddamn five second waits for handshakes that I currently have right now between every switch.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Drunkenly ordered an AW3418DW last night. I've never had a high end screen before so this is exciting.

E: gently caress they only have one displayport input? And looks if you use the hdmi will only get 50hz. Bullshit

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 15, 2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Drunkenly ordered an AW3418DW last night. I've never had a high end screen before so this is exciting.

E: gently caress they only have one displayport input? And looks if you use the hdmi will only get 50hz. Bullshit

It's G-sync module that dictates the inputs. I'm quietly hoping AMD launch essomething decent within the next 6 months, since Freesync 2 monitors have more options.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A bit of research suggests a kvm that can handle the resolution should pass through the G-Sync magic. Hoping I haven't made a huge mistake!

My work and own laptops are both Thinkpads which can pass 4k 60Hz through the USB-C, but I am finding it hard to work out if they can do 3440x1440/100Hz or 120Hz. Any idea how I can find out? Is it just dependent on what the intel graphics can output?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

knox_harrington posted:

A bit of research suggests a kvm that can handle the resolution should pass through the G-Sync magic. Hoping I haven't made a huge mistake!

My work and own laptops are both Thinkpads which can pass 4k 60Hz through the USB-C, but I am finding it hard to work out if they can do 3440x1440/100Hz or 120Hz. Any idea how I can find out? Is it just dependent on what the intel graphics can output?

4K60 and 21:9 1440p100 require nearly the same data rate, so any interface that can handle one should also be able to handle the other.

Even 120Hz should work on any HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 connection from a bandwidth standpoint, but if the G-Sync module doesn't support high refresh rates on HDMI that will be a limiting factor in those cases.

Assuming your laptops support DisplayPort alt mode on USB-C you should be fine with a DP KVM.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

knox_harrington posted:

If you need another DP input you could buy a cheap switch box:

https://www.amazon.com/LINDY-Port-4K-DisplayPort-Switch/dp/B00ZK2S71W?keywords=display+port+switch+box&qid=1537057311&sr=8-3

Alternatively, your other displayport sources that funny ned GSync you could get a $1 DP -> HDMI dongle.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
I've been thinking about updating my monitor from a 32" flat screen TV I picked up from a garage sale for $50 five years ago to an actual computer monitor.

I've been looking at the Acer R240HY as it's cheap and looks decent enough. I'm going to be using it for mainly browsing and gaming. I don't play shooters or sports games so I don't really need instant reaction or anti motion blur stuff and I'm not planning on running it at some ridiculous refresh rate and resolution either.

This will only be the fourth monitor I've ever owned so I have very little idea what I'm doing here.

Would this be a decent purchase or would you recommend something better? I'd like to keep it in the $100-150 price range if I could.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Little Abigail posted:

I've been thinking about updating my monitor from a 32" flat screen TV I picked up from a garage sale for $50 five years ago to an actual computer monitor.

I've been looking at the Acer R240HY as it's cheap and looks decent enough. I'm going to be using it for mainly browsing and gaming. I don't play shooters or sports games so I don't really need instant reaction or anti motion blur stuff and I'm not planning on running it at some ridiculous refresh rate and resolution either.

This will only be the fourth monitor I've ever owned so I have very little idea what I'm doing here.

Would this be a decent purchase or would you recommend something better? I'd like to keep it in the $100-150 price range if I could.

Keep this bookmarked - they might come back in stock at this price: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/home/L24q-20-23-8-QHD-MonitorHDMI%2BDP/p/65D2GCC3US

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Is it really $50 better then the other one? Like, I'm not going to be going over 1080p on it and $160 is a bit more then I want to spend unless it's a lot better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you want to stick at 1080p, that's fine - I was just thinking that 1440p IPS for ~$160 was a pretty good price and a nice screen real estate upgrade as well. It's a bit academic, though - seeing as it's currently OOS.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Yeah, if I had the extra money and it was in stock I would probably go for it but I don't.

Thanks for the advice anyways though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

That'd be great if it had a VESA mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011209

You might have to call Newegg to get it at this price, but with the coupon code EMCPYEW27 the price goes down to $159.99, shipped free. A 1200p (not 1080p) IPS screen for $160 ain't bad. You get a little extra on the vertical resolution (120 pixels, to be exact).

Not sure if it's worth being $50 more expensive than the R240HY at Amazon, but I certainly enjoyed running 1200p when everyone else was running 1080p over these past ~7 years.