Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It should be mentioned that when people poo poo on Resetera for being liberal they don’t necessarily mean that conservatives are superior, they mean that Resetera is the kind of place that worships at Hillary Clinton’s feet and anyone who praises Bernie or Ocasio-Cortez is labeled a heretic and ran out.

They also think Arkham Origins is the best in the series. It’s a bad website.

Hot take: weapon degradation doesn’t deserve an ounce of the hate it gets because in pretty much every game I play that has it (Dead Rising 1 and 2, Fallout New Vegas, BotW, etc.) it’s actually extremely good.

Is the Broforce port good? I remember it kinda running like rear end on PS4 so I don’t have a lot of hope here, especially undocked.

Hotter Take on your Hot Take- all those games do way more interesting things with their breakable weapons then BotW, where if I break my sword I switch to my next, shittier sword (or spear or club) until I get tired of it all and just herd everything for bomb arrows.

If I could dunk a skull onto a bobokin’s head in a panic because my chainsawsword broke to make it bump and block other enemies while I put a Lizalfos into a headlock and take him running through the clustering horde I would be a dozen times more willing to engage with BotW’s combat.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The weapon breaking thing in BOTW is possibly the worst game mechanic I've come across in my life and is so horrendously not fun that I can't believe it wasn't patched out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The weapon breaking thing in BOTW is possibly the worst game mechanic I've come across in my life and is so horrendously not fun that I can't believe it wasn't patched out.

Hoo boy be prepared for exactly one thousand people to tell you how the weapon breaking mechanic is actually very good

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That mechanic was the reason I picked up Mario Odyssey over BotW when I got my switch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lol that the mildest resource management thing in basically any game ever is the worst game mechanic you've ever come across in your life. Have you only ever played BotW?

gently caress there are multiple mechanical in BotW alone that are worse.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would have enjoyed it more if the weapons all lasted 2-3 times longer than they do

Eventually you have enough seeds that it doesn't really matter but until then it's a little irritating

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You guys have fun with this BotW derail, I'm going to do something more productive and stare at the Nintendo Direct logo for a week.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the weapon breaking is a bit annoying but not really a big deal. don’t think it really adds anything to the game tho and would be fine if it got axed
everything needs to be either perfect or worse than cancer tho I guess

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Why complain about how inept you are at adapting to video game mechanics? Botw is one of the best games ever made, y'all are just gonna have to deal with that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:thunk:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There were two points in that post

The first is that the weapon degradation system in BotW sucks: True! It's good for gameplay in a way since using a variety of weapons keeps combat interesting IMO and it's better than trying to fill the world with weapons that increase in power gradually without people breaking it by getting to the strongest one immediately. I do wish they lasted longer though, my big badass Guardian Axe++ lasted like two flurries against a Lynel and it was deeply disappointing.

The second point was that the world is empty and boring. Our world is empty and boring. That's why we play BotW.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Actually our planet Earth has many wondrous things to learn and discover. Maybe I'll find a magic adventure over that hill? Or maybe I'll find a Starbucks. That adventure carries me through every day of my life.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do wish they lasted longer though, my big badass Guardian Axe++ lasted like two flurries against a Lynel and it was deeply disappointing.

Guardian weapons are considerably more fragile than regular weapons as a tradeoff for doing considerably more damage to Guardians than regular weapons. Using them on non-Guardian enemies is a waste and should only be done as a last resort.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Mega man 11 demo is up. Presumably something that was gonna be announced in the Direct?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The second point was that the world is empty and boring. Our world is empty and boring. That's why we play BotW.

The game should've let Link visit New Donk City

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

There were two points in that post

No there wasn't and I didn't say anything about the world

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Mega man 11 demo is up. Presumably something that was gonna be announced in the Direct?

It's up on PSN too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You were right until Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My only problem with durability is that after a weapon breaks it doesn't let you just smoothly transition into fighting unarmed. Being able to punch the enemy in face a couple of times if they are on their list sliver of health would be a lot more convenient than suddenly being unable to attack until you pull up a menu.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Think of how many times you've started Skyrim thinking "this is the time I play as a mage!" only to once again fall back to stealth archer ten hours in.

BotW, through weapon durability and enemy scaling, actively makes you engaged in combat. It also encourages creative gameplay. You're down to a couple tree branches, so you look around for a bolder to roll into an enemy or a way to explode a barrel or create a distraction with a bomb so you can steal a sword from their stash. You use a leaf to blow an enemy off the edge of a cliff. You stasis an enemy, explode a bomb next to them, and watch them fly.

If the weapon durability was an issue with you, it's because you weren't being creative enough. Breath of the Wild is a puzzle game, not a hack'n'slash.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 7, 2018

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The durability mechanic is central to the loop of the game, you can't just patch it out. Consumption and replenishment of weapons is a key mechanic

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Weedle posted:

Guardian weapons are considerably more fragile than regular weapons as a tradeoff for doing considerably more damage to Guardians than regular weapons. Using them on non-Guardian enemies is a waste and should only be done as a last resort.
gently caress, I am bad at video games! This is what I get for filling my inventory with big number glowing awesomeness and not thinking about how they're supposed to be used. It did ruin that Lynel though.

No there wasn't and I didn't say anything about the world
I was talking about this post! \/ My joke doesn't work with your post.

Andrast posted:

Weapon degradation in botw sucks and the world is empty and boring

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a lot of uh... old school design and platforming things they should've left behind for Megaman 11. Controls/movement wise it feels great but the other stuff... the demo has actually kind of soured me on this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

You were right until Xenoblade Chronicles 2 released.

Nothing in XC2 is as bad as weapon breaking.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nothing in XC2 is as bad as weapon breaking.
Weapon breaking is frustrating but at least if you kill an enemy holding a weapon you are guaranteed to get that weapon.

There is nothing in life as soul-crushing and awful as Gacha.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Weapon breaking is frustrating but at least if you kill an enemy holding a weapon you are guaranteed to get that weapon.

There is nothing in life as soul-crushing and awful as Gacha.

The gotchas never bothered me but weapon breaking was insanely tedious and unfun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also here's a thing that would happen multiple times. Sometimes that third section wouldn't even come down. Sometimes it would and crush you. But usually you'd just get stuck trying to get through that little section and there was nothing you could really do about it. Hopefully something that'll be fixed in the full game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt4LWflzLOE

edit: Also for the love of god video games: GET RID OF THE LIVES SYSTEM. NO MORE LIVES. INFINITE LIVES PLEASE. It is 2018 game devs. Get rid of the lives system!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'd rather talk about politics than durability in botw but I'm okay with talking about both and/or either

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lodin posted:

Finally that stupid wannabe-Deadpool game got downloaded so I jumped into a quick game with two others. It was pretty hilarious since it was obvious they had never played it before and I had to constantly carry them. I went through two stages as loving MacGyver and finally got to unlock god drat Indiana Jones.
It was awesome to see them quickly pick up tips like taking out the floor under spawning doors and never being afraid of using the special moves in creative ways.

On the performance side there were no problems with lag or anything. Felt like I was playing local for the most part.

Again, a solid port.

From a few pages back, but what game are you talking about?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm excited for Yoshi's Flipping Island

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The gotchas never bothered me but weapon breaking was insanely tedious and unfun.

XC2 Gatcha affects half a dozen other sub systems and possibly even whether you can progress the main story while Breath of the Wilds combat is poo poo and has no real rewards so not interacting with it 90% of the time because of how stupid the weapon breaking mechanic is almost a positive.

Theyre both loving dire and accomplish the opposite of their intentions.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Botw, much like mgsv, gives you all tools you need from the beginning to beat the final mission. Everything you unlock is just more ways to mix this up. Both games instead rely on the handcrafted environment (encampments and mobs) to create fresh scenarios for the player. botw goes a step further and turns its static weapons into ammo so you must adapt to not only the environment, but to the individual styles of the weapons.

The system gives you a weapon to take on any mob in a biome to produce another weapon. The more you fight and use certain weapons, the more they "level" every blood moon, resulting in stronger weapons every cycle.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Barudak posted:

XC2 Gatcha affects half a dozen other sub systems and possibly even whether you can progress the main story while Breath of the Wilds combat is poo poo and has no real rewards so not interacting with it 90% of the time because of how stupid the weapon breaking mechanic is almost a positive.

XC2's gatcha is 100% optional, there isn't anything needed from it to progress the main story, and there are way more than enough guaranteed story blades to fill out your whole team.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Has anyone played this game NeuroVoider? I saw it's on sale, looks like a stylish twin stick shooter with some RPG elements. I wonder how it stacks up against something like Enter the Gungeon (which I've played already on ps4)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zibidibodel posted:

Wait, how early is the Lagombi again? I had a green sharpness sword not too late in maybe 2* village quests. The one with the fangs that extend when drawn. Maybe it was leveled another time to get the green sharpness.

In MHGU there's a Lagombi in the one star guild quests.

I beat him though, it was easy when I made the Red Stripe. It doesn't have green sharpness, but I think it's significantly faster than any of the other Great Swords available at this point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

XC2's gatcha is 100% optional, there isn't anything needed from it to progress the main story, and there are way more than enough guaranteed story blades to fill out your whole team.

I dont think you get enough to break into the Tomb by default, but Im happy to be wrong since that system sucks enough

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

am I crazy or do the green and pink joy con have a different finish than the red and blue?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

goku when

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Botw, much like mgsv, gives you all tools you need from the beginning to beat the final mission. Everything you unlock is just more ways to mix this up. Both games instead rely on the handcrafted environment (encampments and mobs) to create fresh scenarios for the player. botw goes a step further and turns its static weapons into ammo so you must adapt to not only the environment, but to the individual styles of the weapons.

The system gives you a weapon to take on any mob in a biome to produce another weapon. The more you fight and use certain weapons, the more they "level" every blood moon, resulting in stronger weapons every cycle.

If MGS5 had guns break and you constantly needed new guns it would suck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Early in BOTW, when I only had a single weapon, it was fun when I would hit an enemy a couple times, throw the weapon when it was weak, and then pick up the enemy's dropped weapon and kill him with it.

• Locked thread