Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

MrSargent posted:

Oh my god I am so jealous. I have been trying to get my hands on some production records but they aren't exactly easy to come by at your local record stores. Maybe a random question but do you do any sampling?

I don't make any music, I just really enjoy this sorta stuff. I was hoping for some KPM, but I just chose whatever track titles sounded good. I'm thinking of going back and getting the rest I passed over since if I don't personally like em there seems to be a market for em.

This is probably my favorite use of Sampling production music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nGEJ-AgWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VDgyB0ueaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing quite like checking m Nest cam and seeing a record get delivered to my house 15 minutes after leaving. For 4 days. In Florida.

It’s not mine, but hopefully survived the heat ok. Of course it wasn’t laid flat but at least it was under some shade.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MrSargent posted:

Edit: Does anyone have or know of a version of Dr. Dre's 2001 that is NOT censored? The only ones I see for sale have comments that the version is censored. It seems really weird that an album as popular as that hasn't seen a reissue of the explicit version.

I think the song titles are censored, but the music isn't. That's what I've read online. I have no idea why you would issue a censored version of an album on vinyl given how niche the format is.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think the song titles are censored, but the music isn't. That's what I've read online. I have no idea why you would issue a censored version of an album on vinyl given how niche the format is.

In reading the comments on discogs, people mentioned the lyrics being censored, but there was a lot of confusion over which version people were listening to. Like the front of the album would have a Parental Advisory - Explicit Content sticker, but the songs are all "clean" versions. It boggles my mind that they would try and put out a clean version of an album where almost every line has some sort of curse word. Although I do remember watching a documentary where Jimmy Iovine mentioned that he wanted to get Nothin' But a G Thang on the radio.

Oh, I got an e-mail from VMP saying that they had more records listed on sale. I ended up picking up the MF DOOM Special Herbs Volumes 7&8 and 9&0 for only $17 each since those are the only two I am missing from the set. That was lower than discogs (if you included shipping).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That reminds me, back in the day my friend had a "clean version" cassette of Geto Boys. It was absolutely hilarious, every song was like non stop beeping. We used to drive around blaring that just laughing our asses off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What's the point of even having censored versions of albums anymore? Every kid in America has 24/7 internet access and can just download or stream the loving thing at any time. And besides that I don't think a great deal of impressionable ten year olds are listening to a 25 year old hip hop album.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CPL593H posted:

What's the point of even having censored versions of albums anymore? Every kid in America has 24/7 internet access and can just download or stream the loving thing at any time. And besides that I don't think a great deal of impressionable ten year olds are listening to a 25 year old hip hop album.

There are parental controls on all streaming services and youtube. I don't think 10 year olds are walking around with credit cards and their own spotify accounts.

There are also a lot of clueless parents out there soooo yea.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
My friend had a Kid Rock cd that was censored with explosions and cows mooing and it ruled.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Schremp Howard posted:

My friend had a Kid Rock cd that was censored with explosions and cows mooing and it ruled.

I really need to hear this.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I knew someone who loved watching movies on airplanes because she preferred dubbed censored versions of movies. This was back when everyone watched one movie on the big screen obviously.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

There are parental controls on all streaming services and youtube. I don't think 10 year olds are walking around with credit cards and their own spotify accounts.

There are also a lot of clueless parents out there soooo yea.

There's plenty of kids who can get around those things because they know more about it than their parents. Plus they can just download poo poo illegally. And your point about kids not having credit cards goes towards them buying the LP as well. Considering the bottomless cavern of filth you can locate within seconds online any parent should be delighted if the worst thing they're taking in is a record that says "gently caress".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

It's one of those things I've found funny, because there's very few, if any, albums were the use of bad language was the only objectionable thing on the album. Like, if I don't want my kid hearing "gently caress" then I don't think the rest of Dr. Dre or Eminem will be fine.

It's all Wal-Mart's fault. I'm curious how many CDs they still sell.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Tenacious D recorded different vocals for the clean versions, like replacing bullshit with bullplop. It's great.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

top one is are we there by Sharon Van etten and can be used 4 times

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

top one is are we there by Sharon Van etten and can be used 4 times

Thanks for these, I've downloaded both, so the Sharon Van Etten one should have a few downloads left. No idea if the Alvvays can be used again.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey everyone! Hope you all haven't spent too much money this summer already because my buddy and I are having our huge Labor Day Sale starting tomorrow (9/2/2018) at 9am PST. The link I have included below explains how it all works, but essentially at 9am, we will upload images of all of the 45's that are for sale. If you want a 45, simply reply on the photo of the one you want. It's a first come first serve basis, but sometimes people back out so definitely leave a reply even if someone else has already claimed it.

We can ship up to 15 45's in the boxes we use, which would run $5.95 for shipping. But if you purchase 2-3, we aren't going to charge the full amount for shipping and will work out a lower price after the sale if you only buy a few.

There is something from a ton of different genres including a lot of Motown, Atlantic, Epic, and Columbia label reissues. Come by the Facebook page linked below early tomorrow to grab some great music for a great price. If you guys have any questions, please let me know. There is a video pinned in the link below that gives all the details you need.

https://www.facebook.com/OTBrecords...AB63ep0Mubr8M5w

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Awesome, I’ll definitely check it out!

Meanwhile I went to another ReStore today annnd... it was more of what you’d expect from a thrift store than what I encountered earlier in the week. However I always take a peek through the shellac for the occasional Ink Spots. And today did not disappoint:

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1035990775539146758?s=21

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 2, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
poo poo, make sure to do a digital transfer sooner than later. Those things only have a few dozen plays in them before the sound quality begins to deteriorate.

They also break if you look at them wrong

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Some decent finds for today..

They also had a copy of Gang of Four's Solid Gold, but my girlfriend said she already had it and I didn't want to start a fight :unsmith:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

pwn posted:

poo poo, make sure to do a digital transfer sooner than later. Those things only have a few dozen plays in them before the sound quality begins to deteriorate.

I mentioned that to my grandma a while back and she said "Joke's on you, buddy. They didn't sound good in the first place."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It doesn’t help that my 78 rpm player is one of those old school record players with a built in speaker that amplifies any surface noise on the disc.

I will say that I am surprised how well this record looks physically. Most shellac records you find in thrift stores are covered in filth, scratched to hell, and possibly broken in several pieces. But aside from a small scratch, this Ink Spots record has held up pretty well the past 78 years.

But your grandma is right, it still sounds like rear end. :v:

Edit: lol somebody paid over a hundred bucks for this thing on discogs.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 2, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So what unusual/ginmick records do people have and like, because hey there’s some odd and neat things out there.

I had to get this when I saw The Locust play about a decade ago, just wonderfully silly.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

So what unusual/ginmick records do people have and like, because hey there’s some odd and neat things out there.

I had to get this when I saw The Locust play about a decade ago, just wonderfully silly.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I have the car shaped Drift Stage record and whatever the Amon Tobin Dark Jovian thing is supposed to be. The Dark Jovian gimmick is having the most annoying package if you actually want to listen to it and as a plus it smells terrible.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Hey everyone! Hope you all haven't spent too much money this summer already because my buddy and I are having our huge Labor Day Sale starting tomorrow (9/2/2018) at 9am PST. The link I have included below explains how it all works, but essentially at 9am, we will upload images of all of the 45's that are for sale. If you want a 45, simply reply on the photo of the one you want. It's a first come first serve basis, but sometimes people back out so definitely leave a reply even if someone else has already claimed it.

We can ship up to 15 45's in the boxes we use, which would run $5.95 for shipping. But if you purchase 2-3, we aren't going to charge the full amount for shipping and will work out a lower price after the sale if you only buy a few.

There is something from a ton of different genres including a lot of Motown, Atlantic, Epic, and Columbia label reissues. Come by the Facebook page linked below early tomorrow to grab some great music for a great price. If you guys have any questions, please let me know. There is a video pinned in the link below that gives all the details you need.

https://www.facebook.com/OTBrecords...AB63ep0Mubr8M5w

This is going on now, FYI. It's like digging through boxes of musty 45s from the comfort of your couch, and no need to wash your hands of the grime afterwards!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

This is going on now, FYI. It's like digging through boxes of musty 45s from the comfort of your couch, and no need to wash your hands of the grime afterwards!

Thanks a lot for stopping by dude! Glad you found a bunch of stuff you like. Heads up that we will be adding more 45's and some LP's (all for $1) throughout the day so check back later for new inventory.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Just added some more 45s and a few LPs and 12" singles for the second day of our Labor Day sale. My buddy also added a ton of new inventory today so there should be some great stuff available still. This will be my last post about it so don't worry, haha. Link below just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/OTBrecords/

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

CPL593H posted:

check this out homie: 2001 came out in 1999

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Just added some more 45s and a few LPs and 12" singles for the second day of our Labor Day sale. My buddy also added a ton of new inventory today so there should be some great stuff available still. This will be my last post about it so don't worry, haha. Link below just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/OTBrecords/

This was pretty great, thanks for the heads up. Wide variety of stuff, my picks went from Falco to Roy Brown.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Thank you USPS for coming through on this our national holiday. A perfect nightcap to a blurry lazy weekend. Me the unabashed fanboy could not be more happy.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

This was pretty great, thanks for the heads up. Wide variety of stuff, my picks went from Falco to Roy Brown.

Thanks for coming by and participating! I'm glad you got some great stuff this weekend. We are going to be working through the orders this week and will get the invoices out shortly. I'm also going to be putting some inventory up on my discogs site in the next week now that I have cleared out a bunch of room. Lots of 45s and some finer LPs and 12" singles in this first round so I'll be sure to post a link when I get to it after the sale orders. I will definitely do goon discounts if you send me a message.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Pretty happy i snagged a sweet beatles single :hellyeah:

Some dude really likes New Edition and grabbed almost all of them. But i can’t be too critical, what with my Rod Stewarts

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

Pretty happy i snagged a sweet beatles single :hellyeah:

Some dude really likes New Edition and grabbed almost all of them. But i can’t be too critical, what with my Rod Stewarts

Glad you found some good stuff! Thanks for stopping by and checking it out. This sale went better than we expected and since my buddy isn't doing it all on his own now, we may be doing these more in the future.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Gotta love hipster vintage shops.

Actual record looks like someone took a belt sander to it.

There actually were a couple vintage shops that had good poo poo at normal prices but they both closed. Fuckin' new portland sux.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm not having much luck in the other thread so will try here:

strap on revenge posted:

i'm looking at buying a new stylus for my stanton 680 EE cartridge as mine is getting pretty obviously worn down. does anyone have any experience with 3rd party brands? stanton don't seem to make these anymore.

there's a significant price difference between brands (eg jico at $85 USD and pfanstiehl/EVG for $30 USD) but opinion seems mixed on both brands in forums like audiokarma where this cart is being discussed.

i'm assuming i should just buy the cheap option first and if it's crap try something else?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

MrSargent posted:

Glad you found some good stuff! Thanks for stopping by and checking it out. This sale went better than we expected and since my buddy isn't doing it all on his own now, we may be doing these more in the future.
Invoices will be coming by DM on Facebook, right? Just wanted to confirm that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Invoices will be coming by DM on Facebook, right? Just wanted to confirm that.

Yep! I am almost done processing all of the orders so I expect to invoice within the next day or two, and then ship at the beginning of next week. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Oh and I am doing a final quality check on the records in each order and if there is an issue, I will send a DM on Facebook letting you know and most likely just include it for free if you still want it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found some sweet deals today. Not a scratch on any of them either.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Boinks posted:

Found some sweet deals today. Not a scratch on any of them either.

Nice! That's one of the few Talking Heads albums I don't have. Gotta keep an eye out for it. I've also been looking for some Tom Tom Club albums (especially their debut) which is a band that includes Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz from Talking Heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love that Men at Work album, don't care who knows if. Colin Hay should have been the next Sting.