Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

What is a violent felony in some states may not even be a crime in others. It makes establishing and evaluating police departments very difficult.

Whoa, can you cite an example of this? That's whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Use of force varies by jurisdiction.

It can even vary on the national federal level too. As an example, in the 4th Circuit tasers can only be used in a very strict set of circumstances. But if your visiting Bristol, VA and cross State Street in to Bristol, TN and the 6th Circuit, tasers are pretty much a-ok for any arrest resistance. In this case officers who essentially patrol the same city, albeit in two separate states and independent municipalities, would have very different use of force training requirements.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

Also Alex Jones got permabanned from Twitter :toot:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZlWd4gcLQ/

Pro-click with sound on.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Untagged posted:

It can even vary on the national federal level too. As an example, in the 4th Circuit tasers can only be used in a very strict set of circumstances. But if your visiting Bristol, VA and cross State Street in to Bristol, TN and the 6th Circuit, tasers are pretty much a-ok for any arrest resistance. In this case officers who essentially patrol the same city, albeit in two separate states and independent municipalities, would have very different use of force training requirements.

Does any other nation do the dual sovereignty thing the way the US does? It seems silly when put this way but its never even struck me as odd until now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoktorLoken posted:

I could own a regular AR-15 with a 30-round mag in Washington(for now), but in California it could be charged as a misdemeanor or felony.

Or in Arizona, any amount of weed can result in a felony.

VVV Oh yeah, missed that detail. Well you can punch a nazi in some cases and it'll only cost you a dollar :v:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 6, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah but that's not really a violent crime.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah but that's not really a violent crime.

The definition of "violent crime" can get a bit weird.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I'm not a cop or a lawyer but off the top of my head I think of Stand Your Ground laws where if you shoot someone and piss your pants in one state you could be told to go home and have a nice night while in the other you'll probably be arrested if not charged later.

A whole lot of problems with this example but it's the first thing I think of.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

DoktorLoken posted:

NYS PL 240.26, harrassment in the second degree is considered a violation, not a crime and includes

quote:

S 240.26 Harassment in the second degree. A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person: 1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or 2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or 3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose.

Florida law states:

quote:

784.03 Battery; felony battery.—

(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:

1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who commits battery commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) A person who has one prior conviction for battery, aggravated battery, or felony battery and who commits any second or subsequent battery commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.775.084. For purposes of this subsection, “conviction” means a determination of guilt that is the result of a plea or a trial, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld or a plea of nolo contendere is entered.

So, in New York if I slap you in the face but don't cause injury, that's merely Harassment, which is a violation and is not even an arrestable offense unless committed in the presence of a officer. (under NYS penal law, violations rank under misdemeanors and felonies and you can't arrest someone for a violation not occuring in your presence).

Florida statues state mere physical contact against your will is battery, a misdemeanor, and a previous battery conviction makes it a felony.

Florida: possible felony
New York: you probably can't even get arrested for it.

Before you go slapping the poo poo outta people in New York do note that if the victim complains of "substantial pain" or you leave a mark, that's assault 3 and we've entered misdemeanor territory.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

A guy his size doing that all the time is gonna give himself either an aneurysm or a heart attack.

Hopefully.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DoktorLoken posted:

Just taking Smiling Jack's and my states as an example,
NY Penal Law § 265.11, Criminal Sale of Firearm, 3d degree, classified as a Violent Felony Offense.
Not a crime in Oklahoma.

Title 21, section 843.1, Oklahoma Statues - financial neglect by caretaker, classified as a violent crime
Not a crime in NY.

There are tons of laws where one state's violent is another state's misdemeanor.

Nystral posted:

Does any other nation do the dual sovereignty thing the way the US does? It seems silly when put this way but its never even struck me as odd until now.
Actually, the example given is the same sovereign.

hobbesmaster posted:

The definition of "violent crime" can get a bit weird.
Every state's definition is different.
Then things get really weird. My state has three separate definitions of violent crime.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Every state has multiple definitions of murder.

Murder by cop (not murder)
Murder by white person (regular murder)
Murdered by a minority (super murder unless against another minority — then lol what murder?)
Murdered by an immigrant (BUILD THE WALL murder)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

NYS PL 240.26, harrassment in the second degree is considered a violation, not a crime and includes

Florida law states:

So, in New York if I slap you in the face but don't cause injury, that's merely Harassment, which is a violation and is not even an arrestable offense unless committed in the presence of a officer. (under NYS penal law, violations rank under misdemeanors and felonies and you can't arrest someone for a violation not occuring in your presence).

Florida statues state mere physical contact against your will is battery, a misdemeanor, and a previous battery conviction makes it a felony.

Florida: possible felony
New York: you probably can't even get arrested for it.

Before you go slapping the poo poo outta people in New York do note that if the victim complains of "substantial pain" or you leave a mark, that's assault 3 and we've entered misdemeanor territory.

gonna wax on wax off on my slapping technique tia god bless

boop the snoot posted:

Murdered by a minority (super murder unless against another minority — then lol what murder?)

Lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

edit:

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1037798526418333696

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 7, 2018

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

A guy his size doing that all the time is gonna give himself either an aneurysm or a heart attack.

Hopefully.

In a just world Alex Jones is shot by a 6 year old and his followers say it was staged and he’s actually a globalist who cashed out.

And the Huckabees are eaten alive by a wild pack of family dogs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smiling Jack posted:

:hmmyes:

Good point disarm the populace they can't be trusted

Because what we want right now is Trump's Executive Branch to have a monopoly on force.

That Works posted:

Cool. I hear that thrown around now and then and it sound good on paper (with respect at least to a uniform training standard) but I had no idea how it would actually work and how police actually felt about it.

The way to make it work is the same way you push federal policy on states already: withhold federal grant money unless the agency/profession/whatever complies with a set of guidelines.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Because what we want right now is Trump's Executive Branch to have a monopoly on force.

Another great reason to do away with State sovereignty. Don't forget that doing so will also make the presidential pardon applicable to every crime and every prosecution.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

joat mon posted:

Another great reason to do away with State sovereignty. Don't forget that doing so will also make the presidential pardon applicable to every crime and every prosecution.

Only united can the Landsraad stand against the Emperor.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Let's put all national power in the hands of the feds, but make them super promise they'll be good first, and that they'll never become bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
all the better reason to start disarming the cops and drastically slash the military

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/funder/status/1037789962958241793

I don't know how true this is though, could be bullshit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In south carolina all the assault and battery statutes specify "or offering or attempting to [conditions for x degree A&B]

Also the spousal rape law explicitly excludes wives < 14 years old

Why the gently caress do I stil live here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In SCOTUS talk, there's this tidbit:

List of Democratic SCOTUS nominees confirmed by a GOP senate since 1895:
Rufus Peckham in 1895

List of GOP SCOTUS nominees confirmed by Democratic senate since 1895:
Thomas, Souter, Kennedy, Stevens, Rehnquist, Powell, Blackmun, Carswell, Haynsworth, Burger, Stewart, Whittaker, Brennan

Of course, some of those GOP Presidential picks really didn't work out the way the nominating presidents expected.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Republicans didn't figure out how to properly racism until '64 tho so take those figures with salt

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MichaelBloch15/status/1037798223468015616

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1037858749724221441

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

an important question to ask here is why was he waiting three years for trial

NYC courts are super hosed up

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/1037846906725117952

:thunk:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

But I thought President Good Brains was going to be the best witness

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my god we've finally surpassed realfakedoors dot com

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

God drat kamala Harris

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i am going to be furious if i die in a pile of my own filth instead of in the warm embrace of the atom

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1037883056252694528

I would say he is drunk but, he is a teetotaler

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1037883056252694528

I would say he is drunk but, he is a teetotaler

Peetotaler

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
NYT is doing an interesting thing where they're conducting polls and compiling the data in real-time here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-polls.html

It's a really fascinating look into how the polling sausage is made and some of the problems that show up with traditional, gold-standard phone polling.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1037891388401180672?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Honestly they probably should forget polling and just 219 scam all of the 1/700th of millenials who are credible enough to answer a cold call in TYOOL 2018. Newspaper biz ain't so hot, take your revenue where you find it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
sorry the cohort you're attempting to reach is working their second job right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...tent=edit-promo

quote:

There are other passages in Woodward’s book, a copy of which was obtained by The Atlantic ahead of its release next week, that bolster this representation of Mattis. Woodward writes, for example, that the president “scared the daylights” out of Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph Dunford in January—around the time Trump was engaged in a nuclear button–measuring contest with Kim Jong Un—by proposing that he declare on Twitter that he would be evacuating all family members of U.S. troops from South Korea, which North Korean leaders would likely have interpreted as a clear sign that war was imminent. The tweet was never sent.

:shepicide:

• Locked thread