Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am trying to like it but it feels like cod l now. everyone just kinda blends in and now its just running and gunning arena style but with tanks instead of united pushes(least the matches i played) plus the clothing customization sucks rear end. the nazis look only vaguely nazi with modern camo styles and goof designs and the british look like they are from a mix of modern military tv shows and star wars with hoodies and stuff. everyone kinda just blends together and idk.

1 was loving awesome, it wasn't that historically accurate(that's not really a problem) but it kinda captured the feel/spirit of the conflict. having massive death struggles offensives over small tracts of land for little benefit for either side. V just doesn't hit the WW2 nerve for me, it tries but loving bigger call of duty matches don't do it for me. also the spawn map is loving tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah that's the best way to put what feels so off about it. It feels like Call of Duty now. Way too arcadey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RCarr posted:

Yeah that's the best way to put what feels so off about it. It feels like Call of Duty now. Way too arcadey.

yeah. 1 had some arcady elements but it still took some skill. you had to work as team or at least charge positions to take them. in this its just tanks puttering around and british dudes in hoodies shooting panzerfausts. if i hear good things after the release, then i may get it. but i might just wait. its sad because i really wanted to like this.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 6, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I say without irony that announcing "first blood" to the entire server is a sign that game director either doesn't understand his own franchise or is actively trying to make it more like Call of Duty.

Emphasizing strong team play and coordination in a large team setting, while also encouraging people to scramble to get the first individual kill, are completely contradictory signals.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lambert posted:

That posters sticks probably have drift, but the older games have a more generous default deadzone.

Even after changing the stick dead zones, calibrating the controller, and even screen capping my BF1 settings and applying them to V it still does it. It’s bizarre :iiam:

It’s a shame the KE7 blows. My favorite lmgs have always been the default, jack of all trade guns like 4’s Ultimax mk5 & the Lewis gun. Maybe it’s the aim drifting and janky reload animation that’s bugging me.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I say without irony that announcing "first blood" to the entire server is a sign that game director either doesn't understand his own franchise or is actively trying to make it more like Call of Duty.

Emphasizing strong team play and coordination in a large team setting, while also encouraging people to scramble to get the first individual kill, are completely contradictory signals.

Haha... what?, maybe BFV is not the flawed game I thought it was, but going full retard to appeal the CoD people that of course will not feel interest in the game anyway.

I will update my attitude from patient optimist to passive aggressive lazyness.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
[Bangs on table] Let returning BF1 players carry all their weapon unlocks over into BFV.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've got a problem with this game: it's got no atmosphere to speak of. It still looks great, of course, albeit not much better than BF1, though that's probably just diminishing returns. But while the last game really made you feel like you were a single soldier in a large, grueling, desperate war, this just feels like you're running around a contained, sterile environment, much like BF4 did. It's a little hard to quantify, because it's not just the technical map design, it's something to do with the overall colour palette and shader/texture work as well. Now, I've only played Conquest so far so maybe the game will feel different when I play GO, or maybe it's just the maps in the beta, but the whole thing feels artificial in a way the last one didn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

So I've got a problem with this game: it's got no atmosphere to speak of. It still looks great, of course, albeit not much better than BF1, though that's probably just diminishing returns. But while the last game really made you feel like you were a single soldier in a large, grueling, desperate war, this just feels like you're running around a contained, sterile environment, much like BF4 did. It's a little hard to quantify, because it's not just the technical map design, it's something to do with the overall colour palette and shader/texture work as well. Now, I've only played Conquest so far so maybe the game will feel different when I play GO, or maybe it's just the maps in the beta, but the whole thing feels artificial in a way the last one didn't.

yeah. thats what i mean. like 1 felt like ww1 to an extend. a big giant waved based slog for small gains and mass death for no real victory. this just feels like battlefield 4 but with ww2 weapons. rotterdam looks better but it is just people playing like cod.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The maps are really small for a battlefield game

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can squad leaders do stuff with points in the beta? If so, how?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can squad leaders do stuff with points in the beta? If so, how?

Squad leader can hold down both shoulder buttons to bring up a radial menu to call in a supply cache/ spawn a flamethrower tank/ v-2 rocket air strike

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. thats what i mean. like 1 felt like ww1 to an extend. a big giant waved based slog for small gains and mass death for no real victory. this just feels like battlefield 4 but with ww2 weapons. rotterdam looks better but it is just people playing like cod.

could be a sound problem. I only have watched a few youtube videos, but they where weird quiet, no distant sounds and explosions, like the only battle was the one on screen.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I got a direct hit on a bomber with a Pak 40 and it just set it's engine on fire and I'm furious because they are dishonoring the age old battlefield tradition of using heavy artillery as anti air sniper rifles

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fart Car '97 posted:

I got a direct hit on a bomber with a Pak 40 and it just set it's engine on fire and I'm furious because they are dishonoring the age old battlefield tradition of using heavy artillery as anti air sniper rifles

The series has really gone downhill!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Squad leader can hold down both shoulder buttons to bring up a radial menu to call in a supply cache/ spawn a flamethrower tank/ v-2 rocket air strike

Nice, know what it is if it's on PC?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Played a couple rounds today and also in the underwhelmed crowd. Doesn't seem like they chose the best maps. Everything feels cramped and it's just an endless cycle of getting shot in the back. I switched consoles a year ago and figured I'd wait for this instead of buying BF1 again, so I was hoping the beta would be a giant Battlefield map like in BF1's beta. I couldn't get enough of Sinai and it hooked me on the game. I hope I warm up to this as I shake off the rust. Also I miss spotting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

maybe they are hiding the real BF game and showing a CoD clone to get the Cod kids?, like they don't care the opinion of the bf fans because they know(think) will buy the game anyway

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Nice, know what it is if it's on PC?

Hold down B.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can you not be a medic or support as an attack in grand operation? I keep getting a deployment error whenever I choose them.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a bug. I can't even select my class in conquest. I just deleted the game and am redownloading it because quitting the game, restarting my PS4, turning off my PS4 then turning it on, no joke, didn't fix the issue. Should have expected this level of broken from DICE betas. They're already busted but with DICE they just multiple the awful.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 6, 2018

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Mordja posted:

Hold down B.

Nice, figured that out now. Thanks!

If I pick a squad vehicle, where does it show up? I just kind of picked it and that was it :/

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I bailed out of the rear of a apc that had a artillery gun hitched to it, and the artillery bonked me on the head, killing me instantly

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 7, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
While that is hilarious the pro move is getting in the pak 40 being towed while your friend drives around like madman and you take random potshots at anything that blurs by.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

If you lay down prone on your back and kick back into a deep enough crater, your soldier lifts their legs comically high like they are showing the enemy his/her rear end. I’m twelve years old and find this ridiculously funny & pray it doesn’t get patched on release

https://twitter.com/lube_enthusiast/status/1037871056059396096?s=21

https://twitter.com/lube_enthusiast/status/1037872051229417472?s=21

edit: On a less childish note, the panflute song that sometimes plays on the main menu is wonderful

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

The series has really gone downhill!

It does set a bad precede for the series tbqh. Dunking sky nerds with tanks and artillery is a core pillar of battlefield

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm surprised noones mentioned how dumb the upgrade system is. Was that in BF1 or something? Because hot drat is it dumb that you can upgrade your gun to have faster bullets. I get that you can't unlock all the modern gadgets for your gun but this system is terrible and a watered down perk system from CoD

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I'm surprised noones mentioned how dumb the upgrade system is. Was that in BF1 or something? Because hot drat is it dumb that you can upgrade your gun to have faster bullets. I get that you can't unlock all the modern gadgets for your gun but this system is terrible and a watered down perk system from CoD

No, not at all- BF1 has set weapon variants with the only things changeable being sights/skin/bayonet/recoil direction

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I only briefly played the beta, wasn't really feeling it. I didn't see this though, that's ridiculous.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
am i wrong to assume anyone who says "this game doesnt feel like ww2" is dogwhsitling nazis?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
the default support gun being the KE7 is a very odd choice

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

underage at the vape shop posted:

am i wrong to assume anyone who says "this game doesnt feel like ww2" is dogwhsitling nazis?

I think there are legit reasons to question the crazy rear end customization system that makes all the characters look like cartoon versions of ww2 soldiers. In any game or sport there are benefits to being able easily identify each side, especially in a game where they removed the previous crutch of 3D spotting. WW2 equipment is pretty distinct among the nations involved and it should have been the perfect setting to remove the spotting, yet retain the ability to distinguish friend from foe through the equipment and colors. Instead everyone looks like a battle royal ww2 character, and the “teams” have no distinct style beyond teammates having a blue circle.

The answer to suit everyone is right in front of their face, and fits in with their whole push of “YOUR SQUAD YOUR CREW”. Just make all soldiers outside of your squad be a generic template per class, per team. Then you and your squad can run around as the little misfit renegade badasses.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
+1 to the underwhelmed crowd for reasons everyone on this page has already said. I'm a big fan of Battlefield (I even enjoyed Hardline) but this feels too CoDish. The Battlefield formula was fine, I don't understand messing with it. And the tweaking the traditional BF gameplay elements is dumb. The lack of ammo to force more team play is garbage.

Another problem I have is that nothing seems to have any punch. Battlefield 1 you got that satisfying jingle noise and a red X on a kill. So far in the beta I'm trying to speed read all the poo poo popping up on the middle of the screen to see if I killed who ever I'm shooting at. Explosives seem to do minimal damage.

Bleed out mechanic sucks and takes too long. I don't wanna hold down R2 for an eternity when there's no medic nearby.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
the seeming removal of melee/bayonet charges sucks, especially considering WW2 they still were putting bayonets on pretty much loving everything

walked behind some dude and hit the melee key and its like i was attacking him with a spork

edit: i really hope they use the additional month to change some poo poo because as it is i don't see getting this; the bf1 beta was pretty much the release of the game and was fun as gently caress

losing doritos blows because all the character models are indistinct as gently caress

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 7, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

I think there are legit reasons to question the crazy rear end customization system that makes all the characters look like cartoon versions of ww2 soldiers. In any game or sport there are benefits to being able easily identify each side, especially in a game where they removed the previous crutch of 3D spotting. WW2 equipment is pretty distinct among the nations involved and it should have been the perfect setting to remove the spotting, yet retain the ability to distinguish friend from foe through the equipment and colors. Instead everyone looks like a battle royal ww2 character, and the “teams” have no distinct style beyond teammates having a blue circle.

The answer to suit everyone is right in front of their face, and fits in with their whole push of “YOUR SQUAD YOUR CREW”. Just make all soldiers outside of your squad be a generic template per class, per team. Then you and your squad can run around as the little misfit renegade badasses.

Thats fair, but a lot of the stuff you see isn't talking about that necessarily or mentions it so they can jump to getting mad they can't live out their SS fantasies or something else equally :stare:

AutomaticPrince posted:

+1 to the underwhelmed crowd for reasons everyone on this page has already said. I'm a big fan of Battlefield (I even enjoyed Hardline) but this feels too CoDish. The Battlefield formula was fine, I don't understand messing with it. And the tweaking the traditional BF gameplay elements is dumb. The lack of ammo to force more team play is garbage.

Another problem I have is that nothing seems to have any punch. Battlefield 1 you got that satisfying jingle noise and a red X on a kill. So far in the beta I'm trying to speed read all the poo poo popping up on the middle of the screen to see if I killed who ever I'm shooting at. Explosives seem to do minimal damage.

Bleed out mechanic sucks and takes too long. I don't wanna hold down R2 for an eternity when there's no medic nearby.

The red X and Ting on a kill are definitely in the game though? and you can customise what colours your reticle goes to whatever you like iirc. From what I've seen, the ridiculous ammo counts are an experiment and they've said they are going to up it significantly on release. I guess they want support to be more than the class that gives you a box to camp next to for more explosives.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I'll never be hyped at a battlefield game again until I see Preston, Sweetwater, Haggard and Sarge travel forward in time to year 2143.

OMG yes I had the same idea, Bad Company 2143

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

the seeming removal of melee/bayonet charges sucks, especially considering WW2 they still were putting bayonets on pretty much loving everything

I’ve yet to unlock it, but one of the last unlocks for the Lee Enfield is an attachable bayonet. i assume other guns have it also

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Tei posted:

Haha... what?, maybe BFV is not the flawed game I thought it was, but going full retard to appeal the CoD people that of course will not feel interest in the game anyway.

Actually it's going full retard to assume that people that play/like CoD hate BF and vice versa. Namaste

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
I really like the beta so far! I really liked 4 but didn’t enjoy 1, but something about this has really clicked for me. Looking forward to getting more maps tho.

E: it feels a bit closer to insurgency in some ways now, I think. To me 1 felt more arcadey in terms of some of its mechanics.

E2: the bomb map is way too frantic tho

a_good_username fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 7, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

Actually it's going full retard to assume that people that play/like CoD hate BF and vice versa. Namaste

Not in the numbers that this strategy will have a payoff. Individual can do whatever, is what 200.000 guys will do has a group that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It took a few rounds for the beta to click for me, but I feel like I'm getting into the groove a bit more and I'm liking it. It definitely needs some work and I'm sure a ton of poo poo will get changed before release, but I see a lot of potential.

The thing that annoys me the most is how little AT ammo Assault gets. You can't even damage a tank for half its health before you're completely out. Maybe it'll be better when you can put another AT gadget in the grenade rifle slot, but right now Assaults feel piss-poor for what is supposed to be their main job.