Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vengarr posted:

Definitely get the metal sound pack, it owns :black101:

Make sure to go into the DLC files and crank up the frequency for "Our Kingdom Will Fall"-- it's easily the best song in the pack but for some reason they made it absurdly rare compared to the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Azhais posted:

That's why your conquer it all with a steppe horde and settle as feudal after all of Europe, Asia, and Africa have been plowed under and converted to grazing land

I can't play nomads, can never get a good handle on actually making them work and not just be poo poo feeling to play.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thrasophius posted:

I am trying to marry whatever dynasty member I can get into the family so I can stab away. If I can get a marriage with someone in line to the throne I'll stab until my they are in line. Being able to choose my heir because I'm a republic is also a big help. It'll be interesting forming a Holy Roman Republic.

I'm not sure you will inherit the Holy Roman Empire as a republic. I'm 100% sure that a landed noble cannot inherit a merchant republic, so you have to make sure that the possible heir to the HRE inherits the doge title first.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After about a century, I've finally developed enough legalism to try to ditch gavelkind, but my Steward is now my rival because he raised my current ruler (that's such an annoying decision) and he's called a favor on every member of my council to stop me from doing anything, and that'll last for about two years, and I'm not 100% on whether I'll be even able to get all my vassals into positive opinion of me, it's been a real wrestle in this game. I've even been dipping into tyranny now and then on this run. Any advice for making it work?

I'd really love it if this ruler just became immortal too, he's really good and my only heir right now is an idiot child.

Also I have yet to ever earn master seducer on a ruler. I've been trying for a while now, and it's real useful to have every female vassal as a lover and keeping a little harem on the side for spare children, but it's never happened. Do you have to go veni vidi vici instead of keeping them as lovers?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

After about a century, I've finally developed enough legalism to try to ditch gavelkind, but my Steward is now my rival because he raised my current ruler (that's such an annoying decision) and he's called a favor on every member of my council to stop me from doing anything, and that'll last for about two years, and I'm not 100% on whether I'll be even able to get all my vassals into positive opinion of me, it's been a real wrestle in this game. I've even been dipping into tyranny now and then on this run. Any advice for making it work?

I'd really love it if this ruler just became immortal too, he's really good and my only heir right now is an idiot child.

Also I have yet to ever earn master seducer on a ruler. I've been trying for a while now, and it's real useful to have every female vassal as a lover and keeping a little harem on the side for spare children, but it's never happened. Do you have to go veni vidi vici instead of keeping them as lovers?

Fire your Steward's rear end. Once he's off the Council, his favors don't count anymore.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Fire your Steward's rear end. Once he's off the Council, his favors don't count anymore.

Assuming he can. I forget what the law is that prohibits firing jackoffs from the council at will, but that can always been an issue.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Assuming he can. I forget what the law is that prohibits firing jackoffs from the council at will, but that can always been an issue.

Absolute Council power, I think? If he's stuck with that, though, Gavelkind is the least of his problems

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You could always just do a little bit of murder.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

I can't play nomads, can never get a good handle on actually making them work and not just be poo poo feeling to play.

In relation to this, are there any decent guides on how to play Nomads? I can never really get my head round them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think after every successful boning there's a 10% chance or so of moving up to the next "tier" of seducer: aspiring seducer -> seducer -> master seducer. I don't think it matters if you take them as a lover or hit it and quit it, BUT remember that you can only have one lifestyle trait at a time so if you're already a duelist or gardener or whatever you'll never reach master seducer.

Best seducers are lesbian women, though-- the vast majority of your vassals are going to be men, and as long as you keep loving other women you'll never run the risk of having a bastard. Also, the last two levels of seduction stack with each other and Court Vixen, so every straight man in the world is going to have something like +100 opinion modifier of you just because you're a total smokeshow. :swoon:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I bump to In Taberna

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ninjahedgehog posted:

the last two levels of seduction stack with each other
Hm? Unless you hit a bug, the level 2 (modifier) seduction is supposed to be removed when you acquire the level 3 (trait) seduction.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blooming Brilliant posted:

In relation to this, are there any decent guides on how to play Nomads? I can never really get my head round them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=486754569

Keep the clans weak, grow your population as fast as possible, invade as often as possible (you get to keep any territory where you occupy the top holding), after invading burn down all the buildings for mad cash, repeat.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Hm? Unless you hit a bug, the level 2 (modifier) seduction is supposed to be removed when you acquire the level 3 (trait) seduction.

Hrm, I might be misremembering. Still stacks with court vixen though, and either way your vassals are willing to commit their entire levies to die in your wars because you're a hot slut

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hrm, I might be misremembering. Still stacks with court vixen though, and either way your vassals are willing to commit their entire levies to die in your wars because you're a hot slut

You can pass pretty much whatever laws you want if you're playing an attractive female ruler with a male council, whether or not you're banging them. Combine that with the seduction focus and court vixen, and whoo boy

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Has anyone actually tried settling down as a Nomad? For some reason I'm itching to do a game were I end up settling in Anatolia and introduce the local yokels to glorious superior Khitan culture.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Looks like it's on sale on Steam again, so I'm going to pick up a few of the dlcs I'm missing. I'm going to grab Conclave for sure. I asked earlier, but is Sunset Invasion worth playing with? It's like 2.50 so not a huge investment.

I've also been playing a new game and finally got through the immortality questline successfully for the first time. He's going to wreck everyone's poo poo so bad.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

big dyke energy posted:

Looks like it's on sale on Steam again, so I'm going to pick up a few of the dlcs I'm missing. I'm going to grab Conclave for sure. I asked earlier, but is Sunset Invasion worth playing with? It's like 2.50 so not a huge investment.

I've also been playing a new game and finally got through the immortality questline successfully for the first time. He's going to wreck everyone's poo poo so bad.

I like it but I know i'm the out-layer here. I like the chance that there could be a treat from the west as well as the east.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, it's undoubtedly quite powerful regardless. 50(!) for seducer trait, plus 10 for vixen, and another 10 for the focus itself. If you can manage to start out attractive, that's a nice round 100 opinion from all straight men.

Of course, it all comes crashing down once you hit age 45.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 6, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Funky Valentine posted:

Has anyone actually tried settling down as a Nomad? For some reason I'm itching to do a game were I end up settling in Anatolia and introduce the local yokels to glorious superior Khitan culture.

I settled as a Republic after being nomads, once.

Pro tip: If you're going to settle after conquering, say, Greece or Jerusalem/Israel, maybe take measures to ensure you can handle any crusaders that barge through. You lose a lot of military power when switching over.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

big dyke energy posted:

Sunset Invasion is completely skippable. It's an invasion that Western Europe has to deal with. I like it and enjoy the chaos, but they aren't super fun to fight against.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaxieSatan posted:

I settled as a Republic after being nomads, once.

Pro tip: If you're going to settle after conquering, say, Greece or Jerusalem/Israel, maybe take measures to ensure you can handle any crusaders that barge through. You lose a lot of military power when switching over.

Yeah, who needs castles? The only thing a proper horde needs is a boot and someone to grind under it.

The only real hard decision currently is do I want to Dharma or continue my achievements progress with the horde :argh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's the best start for a Taoist character, or the best (and especially, quickest) way to convert to Taoism?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's the best start for a Taoist character, or the best (and especially, quickest) way to convert to Taoism?

867 Jiuquan dutchy is one I had fun with. (the Dutchy just above the Western Protectorate). Starts with an old Taoist with one son. Dutchy holds a 6 holding county which is the silk road trading post. It does start as a tributary to China, but China is in Civil War at this start date, so you can gently caress off if you want. Tech level is high enough the Observatory events can push you to legalism 3 and Primogeniture. Tibet empire no longer exists, so you have a pretty shattered realm below you. You are bordering nomads though. The Western Protectorate below you does hold most of your De Jure Kingdom, so you kinda gotta hope they leave too.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2018

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The 867 start as the Count of Jiacheng, I believe. No Western Protectorate, you are independent and well placed to become King of Khotan

Alternatively, any start that has you close enough to interact with China. Earn enough Grace to request an Imperial Bride or Groom, and have them raise your heirs with Faith education focus

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Sunset Invasion is completely skippable. It's an invasion that Western Europe has to deal with. I like it and enjoy the chaos, but they aren't super fun to fight against.

I still might give it a chance, it just seems like some extra fun stuff.

What I'm lacking is Conclave, Republic, Horse Lords and Rajas (and sunset). Is Rajas worth it? I never play on the Eastern side of the map, but maybe I'm missing out? I'm analyzing the content a lot, I don't get to buy games/dlc much ok.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish there was an option for Sunset Invasion to be in like, 1 out of 10 games instead of just on or off. I think it'd be fun for most games to be normal, and then every once in a while have the events popped and actually be surprised.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The biggest problem with the Sunset Invasion is that they'll sometimes show up with 100,000 man doom stacks that are completely immune to attrition.

Good loving luck fighting that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

It's just another horde invasion, like the Mongols, only from the West. Personally, I think it's good to have a late-game shakeup in Western Europe.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Me and my vassals have managed to break the Sunni hold on Persia. Though I must admit the rise of the Empire of Prathiara helped a bit at that.

I have since overran all the Saffarid territory on that map, though the "Shah" still owns the holy site in Kurdistan (I'm sure the duke there will take care of that soon enough, and if not he's old and I'll do in not too long).

I made Oman into a Republican vassal. I'm already raking 40-50 gold a month due to my tradepost in Samarkand, and the taxes I get from this should make me even wealthier.

I have primogeniture now and recently inherited, my guy was winning a holy war against the 4 year old Emperor of Prathiara who was dealing with some rebellions at the time. This was concurrent with my last war with the Saffarids, but I didn't have a problem winning both at once. Annexed the duchy of Sistan.

This is only 67% of the Persian Emprie though, I'm going to have to conquer most of Iraq to declare myself.

This is not as easy as it looks because the Nubians somehow managed to seize Mecca from the Kingdom of Arabia despite being a tributary of the Tulunids, which activatied the Sunni Holy Order. Going to have to save up a good 2-3k gold to hire one of the big mercenary companies to deal with that.

Number of provinces that are Zorastrian has doubled. It was at low of 18 IIRC and now there are 37, plus 21 Manichean provinces.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, it's undoubtedly quite powerful regardless. 50(!) for seducer trait, plus 10 for vixen, and another 10 for the focus itself. If you can manage to start out attractive, that's a nice round 100 opinion from all straight men.

Of course, it all comes crashing down once you hit age 45.

I love this game.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

So an update on my Venice game. Currently playing as Doge Sante "The Handsome". Honestly the best ruler I have ever had. Masterful schemer,,attractive, shrewd, got the life style choice from spying on people, brave, just, you name it and currently rocking on at 87 years old. Can murder any problem maker in the realm with 500% plot chance minimum.

He's managed to create a level 4 magnum opus for health, got a hunting dog, the perk of +1 health from training said dog and +2 health from beating death in a chess game and currently have him on the learning focus that gives +1 health so he lives longer and can push his learning to 40.

Problem now is I'm playing on a stone slab of a laptop. I joined the HRE to bring it down from within however I forgot that that reveals the entire realm so I now have all Europe revealed slowing the game to an unplayable crawl. I'll have to retire this game I guess.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

catlord posted:

I wish there was an option for Sunset Invasion to be in like, 1 out of 10 games instead of just on or off. I think it'd be fun for most games to be normal, and then every once in a while have the events popped and actually be surprised.

I think it'd be fun too if it wasn't always necessarily the Aztecs. Maybe the Maya or the Iroquois or Bantu show up instead, or a disgruntled Viking adventurer who managed to conquer most of Vinland and return with a vengeance.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

catlord posted:

"Reduced" is my favorite way to play sunset invasion. 25% chance, always 13th century or later

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

big dyke energy posted:

I still might give it a chance, it just seems like some extra fun stuff.

What I'm lacking is Conclave, Republic, Horse Lords and Rajas (and sunset). Is Rajas worth it? I never play on the Eastern side of the map, but maybe I'm missing out? I'm analyzing the content a lot, I don't get to buy games/dlc much ok.

With Tibet getting added in the Jade Dragon patch (and the silk road update with Jade Dragon/Horse Lords), India got more fun and less secluded. Prior to then, Tibet was a giant unplayable gray blob, meaning India just existed by itself and maybe interacted with some Muslims. Without Rajas and with Jade Dragon, you can play Taoists or Bon, both of which are fine. You do have to pay attention and not accidently game over yourself by having one of the other Indian religions on an heir.

I'd rank them Conclave >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Horse Lords = Republic > Rajas > Sunset. People might rank Rajas the same as Horse Lords/Republic if they really like India.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

So an update on my Venice game. Currently playing as Doge Sante "The Handsome". Honestly the best ruler I have ever had. Masterful schemer,,attractive, shrewd, got the life style choice from spying on people, brave, just, you name it and currently rocking on at 87 years old. Can murder any problem maker in the realm with 500% plot chance minimum.

He's managed to create a level 4 magnum opus for health, got a hunting dog, the perk of +1 health from training said dog and +2 health from beating death in a chess game and currently have him on the learning focus that gives +1 health so he lives longer and can push his learning to 40.

Problem now is I'm playing on a stone slab of a laptop. I joined the HRE to bring it down from within however I forgot that that reveals the entire realm so I now have all Europe revealed slowing the game to an unplayable crawl. I'll have to retire this game I guess.
Well, you could also try copying the savegame to a better computer if you have one?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I am hella PEEVED posted:

With Tibet getting added in the Jade Dragon patch (and the silk road update with Jade Dragon/Horse Lords), India got more fun and less secluded. Prior to then, Tibet was a giant unplayable gray blob, meaning India just existed by itself and maybe interacted with some Muslims. Without Rajas and with Jade Dragon, you can play Taoists or Bon, both of which are fine. You do have to pay attention and not accidently game over yourself by having one of the other Indian religions on an heir.

I'd rank them Conclave >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Horse Lords = Republic > Rajas > Sunset. People might rank Rajas the same as Horse Lords/Republic if they really like India.

Thank you this is really helpful!! Still don't know what DLC I want, but it is helpful to read some non-Steam opinions.

Dude I loving hope they do, I'm 130 years old and if they don't think I'm mandated by heaven they better get with the picture.
(yeah my name is Cornelio Cornelius, I renamed the dynasty after he became immortal because come on, he's immortal)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does Rajas have any game-wide features that are only available with the DLC, or is it just "you can play Indian religions?"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does Rajas have any game-wide features that are only available with the DLC, or is it just "you can play Indian religions?"

Culture/religion conversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Culture/religion conversion

Okay, yeah, that's a cool feature that I use a lot but I wouldn't get an expansion just for that.

• Locked thread