Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
canelo did a good job of acting shocked, but i'd be surprised if, based purely on golovkin's reputation, he didn't try for any edge he could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Canelo’s going to actually die in the ring this time and Adelaide Byrd will still score it for him and Golovkin will retire a disgrace.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its amazing in a sport as generally corrupt as boxing anyone ever pisses hot

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Jose posted:

Especially one of the biggest names in the sport currently.

Way to go, Oscar.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

I's dumb but this is one of the things that make me think it could be the meat. They were really shocked it happened, but maybe it's because they were thinking "That's not even one of the ones he's on"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Terence Crawford just resigned with Top Rank so I guess we can begin the great 5 year countdown until Spence-Crawford

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Terence Crawford just resigned with Top Rank so I guess we can begin the great 5 year countdown until Spence-Crawford

I misread "resigned" there as like, quit, and got really excited. Too bad.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I misread "resigned" there as like, quit, and got really excited. Too bad.

Ugh-I wish. His next fight is signed too against Jose Benavidez who's mostly remembered for robbing Mauricio Herrera in 2014 on the Tim Bradley-Diego Chaves card but has done jack squat (other than get into some bs altercations with Bud that were caught on Youtube) since

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Canelo’s going to actually die in the ring this time and Adelaide Byrd will still score it for him and Golovkin will retire a disgrace.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Well thankfully her score won't matter because

The SituAsian posted:

The officials have been named for Canelo-GGG 2. Notable in that other than Dave Moretti-who was actually the only one to score the first fight for Golovkin despite a worrisome history judging Canelo fights-all of the officials are based in the East Coast (Esteves and Weiseld are from New Jersey and Feldman from Connecticut) which is really rare for Nevada.

Judges:
Dave Moretti
Glenn Feldman
Steve Weisfeld

Referee:
Benjy Esteves Jr.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
No idea why Crawford always gets ranked top 3 p4p when his best win is Viktor Postol.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s because he’s conquered two divisions fighting thoroughly decent guys without looking even a shade less than dominant the entire time

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I like the way bud fights

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It’s because he’s conquered two divisions fighting thoroughly decent guys without looking even a shade less than dominant the entire time

"decent" is fairly generous for guys like Julius Indongo and Jeff Horn

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Monday Bandele posted:

can you just say straight up that when he fights someone 'good' he will be exposed as someone undeserving of a top 3 p4p rating?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The SituAsian posted:

Well thankfully her score won't matter because

i think her turning up, beating up another judge and taking their spot is plausible enough in boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Sorry, I always forget that in boxing if you're not one of the very best you're a bum who sucks actually.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The tiers fighters can be placed into, which is some combination of their talent/training, their age/arc of their career, and the preparation/motivation for a particular bout, is a fascinating topic I'd love to see explored in more detail.

For example you've got Buster Dougals vs Tyson compared to Buster Douglas vs Hollyfield. You've got the gatekeepers that never claimed a championship but still make a hard test for anyone trying to surpass them. You've got former top tier light heavyweights who have now aged into the heavyweight division, now badly outgunned.

Edit: YouTube is filled with videos where over hyped upstarts finally advance past club fighter tin cans and run into men who are on the way down in their career but who nonetheless still posses, perhaps only in flashes, formidable skills and talents. The indignance with which these "has beens" dispatch the hype train is always a pleasure.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 7, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean the thing I find annoying about it is that the truly elite, best of the best fighters are rare by definition. There's like 2-5 guys within each division who are in the top 10 but clearly steps below the rest. That doesn't mean that guys who aren't very top level aren't good or even great. According to boxrec there are over 20 000 active fighters, even if you're looking at only the top 1% of fighters, that's 200 guys. Anybody even sniffing the top 10 of a division is a credible opponent. It's annoying when people say stuff about Bud shouldn't be a top P4P fighter because of a lack of credible opponents when he's completely thrashed guys like Postol, Horn and Indongo who are absolutely credible opponents.

It also bugs me when people value resume to the extent that they ignore the clear stuff you can pick up from watching somebody fight. Crawford is a visibly elite fighter, even if he could get better wins. The "who's he beat?" question is always a degenerate line of questioning anyway, because if you follow it to it's logical extent nobody has beat anybody. Like Spence is obviously one of the best fighters at welter, possibly the best, but who has he beat? His best win is Kell Brook. Brook only really has one defining win over Shawn Porter and Porter's best wins are over Paulie and Broner. Broner's best win in welter is probably Paulie also. Paulie's only significant welter win was against a 2013 Zab Judah and his other best win is Herman Ngoudjo in 2008. You can pretty much do this to any fighter by just asking "Yeah, but who has he beat" over and over again until you get down to journeymen and past prime fighters who make up the foundations for these types of rankings.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah who the heck is Trevor Berbick anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean the thing I find annoying about it is that the truly elite, best of the best fighters are rare by definition. There's like 2-5 guys within each division who are in the top 10 but clearly steps below the rest. That doesn't mean that guys who aren't very top level aren't good or even great. According to boxrec there are over 20 000 active fighters, even if you're looking at only the top 1% of fighters, that's 200 guys. Anybody even sniffing the top 10 of a division is a credible opponent. It's annoying when people say stuff about Bud shouldn't be a top P4P fighter because of a lack of credible opponents when he's completely thrashed guys like Postol, Horn and Indongo who are absolutely credible opponents.

It also bugs me when people value resume to the extent that they ignore the clear stuff you can pick up from watching somebody fight. Crawford is a visibly elite fighter, even if he could get better wins. The "who's he beat?" question is always a degenerate line of questioning anyway, because if you follow it to it's logical extent nobody has beat anybody. Like Spence is obviously one of the best fighters at welter, possibly the best, but who has he beat? His best win is Kell Brook. Brook only really has one defining win over Shawn Porter and Porter's best wins are over Paulie and Broner. Broner's best win in welter is probably Paulie also. Paulie's only significant welter win was against a 2013 Zab Judah and his other best win is Herman Ngoudjo in 2008. You can pretty much do this to any fighter by just asking "Yeah, but who has he beat" over and over again until you get down to journeymen and past prime fighters who make up the foundations for these types of rankings.

:hmmyes: to pretty much of all this. It's also a factor in how incredibly deflating it is being an top tier fighter and to run up against a generational talent like a Crawford or Spence that their career will suffer afterwards and make the win look much worse in hindsight.

Edit: Also just a reminder that the boxing season starts back up big time tomorrow. Theres Amir Khan-Samuel Vargas in the afternoon (for the colonists) and Superfly 3 and Garcia-Porter in the evening.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 8, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's nice to see boxing on tv again, a lot of good but not particular great fights tomorrow, which should make for a pretty nice easing into the big fight weekend coming up

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's nice to see boxing on tv again, a lot of good but not particular great fights tomorrow, which should make for a pretty nice easing into the big fight weekend coming up

I'm really disappointed in Superfly 3 (no thanks to my ex-main man Peter "Eyebrows" Nelson) but Garcia-Porter is the most intriguing welterweight fight since Thuman-Garcia and maybe even more so. It is truly as close to a toss up fight as I can remember certainly this year.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Garcia Porter is a really good fight but it's kind of hard to sell somebody on "This is the DEFINITIVE match up to decide who the 4th* best fighter in the division is"

Stylistically it's super interesting, you have two completely contrasting styles, but the potential for a stinker is there if Garcia makes it an outboxing affair or if Porter's swarming becomes more of a smothering act.

*5th if we're really ranking pac

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 8, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Crawford/Benavidez is a good fight. Obviously it's not Spence or the Garcia/Porter winner, but outside of those major fights it's about as good as you can get. I mean, look at the WBO top 15 for a desolate list of names besides Benevidez, Adrien Broner, and Jesse Vargas. Benavidez is undefeated, in his prime, has some name recognition, and is loving gigantic for welterweight at 6'2 (Antonio Margarito was considered massive at 5'11). Crawford is an average sized welterweight at 5'8 and will be giving up a ton of size here. Of course he'll certainly win, but it will be interesting to see how he deals with Benavidez's sheer mass.

Speaking of Garcia/Porter, Keith Thurman is supposedly going to appear on the telecast as an analyst for the fight. Thurman hasn't fought in a year and a half and has nothing scheduled, so I can't imagine he jumps right in with the winner of Garcia/Porter next, but we should at least learn something concrete about his future plans. I expect that he plans to keep fighting, but taking 2 years off in your prime has historically only been ok for all-time talents like Sugar Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather Jr. It will be interesting to hear from him, anyway.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 8, 2018

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Typical Khan fight going on at the moment, started well, got dropped, getting a bit ragged

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Khan holds while complaining to the ref almost as much as he throws punches.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Love fights like that where a guy wins every round while scoring 2 knockdowns and somehow comes away from the fight looking worse.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Standing at full attention for the return of Charles "I Walk this Earth like a God" Martin

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

that was a much better fight than I expected

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Duke Pukem posted:

that was a much better fight than I expected

at the same time it was extremely not the fight to show my friend who didnt have any interest in boxing :((((((

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gonna have to watch the main event with headphones on while he watches lovely college football now :/

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

well, that sucks. No accounting for taste

Ugas looks to have this well in hand. Just too big a difference in skill level. i guess Barrionuevo has a punchers chance

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

I got the first 3 rounds for Garcia

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I have it 2-2 now with the 3rd and 4th for Porter. His aggression is really coming on though Danny's probably fine losing rounds to get Porter's timing down.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Porter's timing is really weird so Garcia is going to wait all night to time him.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

I think it's even through 6

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think porter is up 5-3

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Garcia probably won round 9

5-4 for Porter