Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
They just put up a megaman 11 demo on switch.

Clipping your head on jumps, enemies that stun you and push you off cliffs, slow enemies that drift just above and below your shot line, it's megaman all right. Could be solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Relax Or DIE posted:

They just put up a megaman 11 demo on switch.

Clipping your head on jumps, enemies that stun you and push you off cliffs, slow enemies that drift just above and below your shot line, it's megaman all right. Could be solid.

Any FMV?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not in the demo

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think the double gear thing, with the power up and slow down powers, is pretty cool. The boss is cheap as hell which, you know, I knew what I was getting into. I'm definitely more interested now so the demo worked I guess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It is going at a snails pace and may not ever come out, but it did have a successfully funded kickstarter campaign. I really want a new superhero MMORPG. The current options are Champions Online, and DC Online, both of which suck rear end.

What's wrong with Champions Online and DC Online, I haven't touched either

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What's wrong with Champions Online and DC Online, I haven't touched either

Champions Online was always sort of a poor man's City of Heroes and it got absolutely gutted when it went F2P.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm playing Wildstar and have found a couple positives at least:

1. The character models are really, really cool. The lizard and robot and rock dudes especially.

2. The game has a server wide chat channel and it's nothing but people crying "this game is amazing how dare they close it down, other MMOs are for stupid babies" and just dropping the slightest criticism gets them -real- angry and it's a hoot to watch.

3. The cutscenes are kinda neat.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Unfortunately, the real downside is that it's Wildstar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only thing i know about wildstar other than that super vertical tutorial image is that they wanted to sell their combat as being more action-oriented with 'zones' and dash dodging... and then Destiny came out the same year, so no one gave a gently caress about wildstar's combat

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm enjoying it so far, but the combat is like the weakest aspect. Lots of annoying strafing and spamming skills. I don't know why people automatically assume "action combat" is better in an MMO. The most fun I've had in MMOs have been in ones with traditional combat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only unreservedly good thing about wildstar is the player housing, which is almost like second life level in terms of how much you can customize your estate. it totally doesn't belong in the kind of game wildstar was pretending tobe

The 7th Guest posted:

the only thing i know about wildstar other than that super vertical tutorial image is that they wanted to sell their combat as being more action-oriented with 'zones' and dash dodging... and then Destiny came out the same year, so no one gave a gently caress about wildstar's combat
I mean its action-oriented relative to other WoW style hotbar MMOs. most of those only have telegraphs for really big attacks, and most attacks aren't dodgable at all, pretty much everything in wildstar gets telegraphed which is cool until you see it in action and the ground looks like rainbow puke. + a huge emphasis on interrupts, iirc there's a whole system where some mobs have interrupt armor that requires like 3 people in your party to simultaneously use interrupts to successfully block a cast which is "actiony" by the most lol of definitions

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am at the point in Dragon Quest XI where the entire world opens up to you and you're asked to go find some stuff with absolutely zero direction as to where you should be going. The game is a lot of fun but I am too stupid for this and am going to need a walkthrough now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing the messenger.
I kinda wish they played it serious insteada goofy. And had longer music loops.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bunQSDzn4bg

done with SNES sound chip

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The art in that game is just so ugly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish the written part of Polygon didn't suck because I like a lot of the personalities on the youtube Polygon (although I'm pretty sure most of them are also writers), and of course until recently youtube polygon was the home of those good good McElroys

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wildstar is one of the many games that would be cool if it wasn’t an mmo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the polygon show podcast is also good content

unfortunately they havent been able to do as much fun video stuff in recent months because they operate out of the same building as Vox and SB Nation and (speculation on my part) the dinguses at those sites don't like them doing mid-day video stuff because it's too loud

because most of their recent video content is either video essays, or stuff done off-site

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I wish the written part of Polygon didn't suck because I like a lot of the personalities on the youtube Polygon (although I'm pretty sure most of them are also writers), and of course until recently youtube polygon was the home of those good good McElroys

Yeah, their written stuff is awful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Everyone forget the bad lootbox article and remember the best part of Polygon.

Peacecraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqEGdSEOAis

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

even the mcelroys were pretty awful in writing. gently caress reading and gently caress books imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I am at the point in Dragon Quest XI where the entire world opens up to you and you're asked to go find some stuff with absolutely zero direction as to where you should be going. The game is a lot of fun but I am too stupid for this and am going to need a walkthrough now.

that's every dragon quest game. i think it's fine to not have any direction for side content but expecting the player to wander around until they stumble upon the plot again is kinda lame

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The later Dragon Quest games all have someone you can talk to for a hint.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1037885601297588224

what the gently caress is wrong with people that this line even existed at any point in this game's life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to get to the 16 bit part but it hard and annoying and the writing is bad

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Endorph posted:

yeah, the rights belong to a company that has zero interest in doing anything with it, whatsoever. Which at least means that it's theoretically possible that some company could buy the rights and do a rerelease, since Universal Entertainment wouldn't have any attachment to the rights, but Shadow Hearts just isn't a recognized enough name for that to happen.

Someone call THQ Nordic

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1037885601297588224

what the gently caress is wrong with people that this line even existed at any point in this game's life

The nature of memes is is that the context can get lost completely. I literally had no idea what "did you just assume my..." or "apache attack helicopter" was a reference to until the thing with CDP because I've seen bastardized version far more than the original in context.

I would give them the benefit of doubt because they responded immediately and without a half-hearted non apology.

May 8, 2006

just don't put memes in your game. the best case scenario is that you have a lame rear end joke by the time you launch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pLDrZQTf8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what if they're geezer memes, like a cyberpunk game where you go to meet the inventor of the internet and its al gore

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember Hamsterdance

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fortnite's new dancing baby emote is LIT

al-azad
May 28, 2009

there is a character in bojack horseman named juda mannowdog

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

just don't put memes in your game. the best case scenario is that you have a lame rear end joke by the time you launch.

the original phoenix wright trilogy is only pretty drat good these days instead of absolutely incredible cause of all the dated memes in it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

the original phoenix wright trilogy is only pretty drat good these days instead of absolutely incredible cause of all the dated memes in it.

Maybe in 10 years they will be absolutely incredible again because the dated memes will be so dated that it will be funny again

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

this is madness, nick!
no maya, this is sparda

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Andrast posted:

Maybe in 10 years they will be absolutely incredible again because the dated memes will be so dated that it will be funny again
Sounds like a real turnabout.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*english class in the year 2118*

Now what did the author Anony Mous mean by "all your base are belong to us?"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cheetah7071 posted:

The Fresh Prince theme song will never not be the perfect amount of dated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

al-azad posted:

I see Polygon finally got rid of their bizarre review process where the reviewer submits it to the editors who assign an arbitrary score based on how well the reviewer sold it to them.

Hahaha is this for real you gotta be making GBS threads me.

loving polygon man.

• Locked thread