Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything, it seems like boosting your reputation too much may have its downsides as you end up attracting way more patients than you can deal with.

At first it seems like it, sure, but then you just punt them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
From the TIL thread in the TPH reddit: "You can drop people into ongoing training sessions."

:aaa:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So is it generally best practice to stack 5 levels of a skill on someone rather than mix in the other misc. skills? I've been getting all the blank slate doctors/nurses and giving them straight Diagnosis, or GP, or Treatment skills and assigning them jobs accordingly. Do you get better returns if you leave one or two open for Efficiency or happiness skills?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

uXs posted:

From the TIL thread in the TPH reddit: "You can drop people into ongoing training sessions."

everyone's training session tracks differently, which is why the announcer says training is complete when a class is still going. (someone got out earlier)

so this isn't going to be a short cut, at least

explosivo posted:

So is it generally best practice to stack 5 levels of a skill on someone rather than mix in the other misc. skills? I've been getting all the blank slate doctors/nurses and giving them straight Diagnosis, or GP, or Treatment skills and assigning them jobs accordingly. Do you get better returns if you leave one or two open for Efficiency or happiness skills?

at some point you probably will get more then your necessary amount, so just... look around. Are patients becoming unhappy? Are you faceplanting because staff run off to take breaks a lot?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

for general diagnosis i go three levels of GP then get bedside manner and motivation, because GPs touch patients often for that bonus happiness and you want them to process quickly. same with diagnostic or ward nurses. i'll swap out bedside manner for master trainer on one doctor and nurse of each kind so they can train up others and over time i can weed out anyone with bad traits i may have hired in the early days of a hospital

treatment doctors and nurses i just put motivation on them for the throughput bonus because they are the ones who handle emergencies

everyone else - researchers, psychiatrists, surgeons i would stack to level five

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

uXs posted:

Yeah that's pretty cool. It ticks me off when sometimes a trainee will leave the training after a few seconds, and refuse to go back for no reason. You're fine, there's no reason not to go in, thanks for costing me the 10K booking a spot from a guest teacher, rear end in a top hat. :mad: Took me a little while to realise the 45-56 days training, for example, was how long it'd take the fastest and slowest learner to finish, not a random average.

Anyone got a clue if price reputation ever recovers? Mine is apparently zero, and even when I give patients a discount for a long while I never see any of it come back. Ah well, time to sit on +100% mark up forever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Knobb Manwich posted:

Anyone got a clue if price reputation ever recovers? Mine is apparently zero, and even when I give patients a discount for a long while I never see any of it come back. Ah well, time to sit on +100% mark up forever.

Yeah, but it can take a long time. I think it might also take longer if your patients are spending a long time in the hospital.

uXs posted:

Still looking for the optimal ward and fracture ward design though. I don't want to use the power ward posted here because it's way too cramped, I like my hospitals with a bit (or a lot) more space.

This is what I settled on for wards:

Two nurses, twelve beds, patients go through it like poo poo through a goose and it looks pretty good too.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ Heh, that's a great turn of phrase.

luxury handset posted:

for general diagnosis i go three levels of GP then get bedside manner and motivation, because GPs touch patients often for that bonus happiness and you want them to process quickly. same with diagnostic or ward nurses. i'll swap out bedside manner for master trainer on one doctor and nurse of each kind so they can train up others and over time i can weed out anyone with bad traits i may have hired in the early days of a hospital

treatment doctors and nurses i just put motivation on them for the throughput bonus because they are the ones who handle emergencies

everyone else - researchers, psychiatrists, surgeons i would stack to level five

Doesn't motivation only affect movement speed? Has anyone checked? I only put it on janitors so they run a lot.

I kinda don't care about patient happiness, but I guess bedside manners would let you charge more? sounds like it's worth messing with.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Knobb Manwich posted:

Where does everyone sit on price-wise in late game? I tend to settle on +30% or so.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
100% for loving everything, with two top-echelon marketing guys working round-the-clock to draw infinite chumps into my deathtrap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I haven't mucked around with price yet, I probably should given I usually end up with too many patients and not enough money.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Disgusting Coward posted:

100% for loving everything, with two top-echelon marketing guys working round-the-clock to draw infinite chumps into my deathtrap.

Do the marketers go for rep or..? Before my last level save got corrupted I was making 6 figures easy by using 6 marketers in 2 rooms to attract patients for 2 high value diseases for which I had 6 treatment rooms each.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, but it can take a long time. I think it might also take longer if your patients are spending a long time in the hospital.

This is what I settled on for wards:

Two nurses, twelve beds, patients go through it like poo poo through a goose and it looks pretty good too.

Cheers. That's a nice ward, but I'm surprised you don't get bottlenecked with only two changing stations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't mucked around with price yet, I probably should given I usually end up with too many patients and not enough money.

I will say be careful, I went hard in on the price increase to help with some GP backlog during one mission and once the rep caught up with me and my numbers started decreasing, I ended up going far into the red because I had so few people in my hospital that I wasn't making enough to cover the running cost of everything. I tickled the bottom of the barrel before somehow managing to dig my way out and am finally getting to the point where I'm comfortably making money again but it was a rough couple of months there..

L0VE
May 3, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

Yeah that's pretty cool. It ticks me off when sometimes a trainee will leave the training after a few seconds, and refuse to go back for no reason. You're fine, there's no reason not to go in, thanks for costing me the 10K booking a spot from a guest teacher, rear end in a top hat. :mad: Took me a little while to realise the 45-56 days training, for example, was how long it'd take the fastest and slowest learner to finish, not a random average.

Reputation ticks up very slowly by itself, even if you make treatments almost free. Thankfully marketing campaigns can massively increase it. In fact you can probably keep prices high if you're willing to run a large/multiple campaign.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Knobb Manwich posted:

Cheers. That's a nice ward, but I'm surprised you don't get bottlenecked with only two changing stations.

i'd swap it out for another screen personally, one nurse sits while another points

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Which hospital starts getting difficult? I know I'm not there yet, just curious which one it is (and how many hospitals there even are, really).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Which hospital starts getting difficult? I know I'm not there yet, just curious which one it is (and how many hospitals there even are, really).

mitton university / flemington are where it starts taking off the training wheels, so hospitals 5 or 6 out of like 15

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Just got done with Sweaty Palms and the magma + earthquake combination makes for a really strained experience. As I mentioned previously you need to ensure there are multiple fire extinguishers in rooms with machinery, also useful to have them in corridors. But the real frustrations come more so from bugs in the AI tbh.

If a machine catches fire during treatment, the patient and/or the employee will bug out and block the way for your janitors to put the fire out in time. But even if you reset the room through editing, to force them out, the game auto-assigns a janitor, who is very likely too far away to save the equipment, and with the beta patch I can't seem to manually pick up employees who are assigned to a major task to get them there in time. Obviously what you want to do at that point is pick up another janitor and drop them on the machine, forcibly replacing the auto-assigned janitor. Just make sure to delete any AC units in the room though! Janitors will prioritize the AC before tending to your burning Jab Master III.

Once you do manage to manually assign the janitor, they will sometimes have to actually wait for the auto-assigned janitor to get there anyway before they can take over and start the task for some reason. I ended up firing a few auto-assigned janitors because they were half-way across the map and forcing a break didn't work.

I think the whole thing would actually be a lot easier if you could just set a minimum maintenance level. I had 19 Janitors but was unable to keep machines at high health without manually assigning maintenance work due to the threshold for auto-repairs being so low. I had an entire wing filled with rarely used treatment stuff like a Head Office and Chromatherapy and never saw a fire there because they were always at 80%+ health, would've been great if I could have had that in my diagnostics area as well.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nigel Bigglseworth (somewhat paraphrased):
"A listener has accused me of lying by declaring myself a sir when I'm not. Shame on you, as Nigel is just my middle name. Sir is my first name."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wars will be fought over who the best radio host is.

It's Harrison Wolfe.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So what's the opinion on going back to the university level with a group of level 4/5 researchers in a giant research lab stacked with servers to quickly research things you need on a new level? Cheating or playing the game as it's supposed to be played?

I think sharing research between levels is intended primarily so you don't have to research everything again whenever you move to a new hospital, so using the system so you only ever build a single research lab on the entire map seems a bit, I dunno, too easy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

uXs posted:

So what's the opinion on going back to the university level with a group of level 4/5 researchers in a giant research lab stacked with servers to quickly research things you need on a new level? Cheating or playing the game as it's supposed to be played?

I think sharing research between levels is intended primarily so you don't have to research everything again whenever you move to a new hospital, so using the system so you only ever build a single research lab on the entire map seems a bit, I dunno, too easy.

Ultimately the only thing that you are saving yourself is time so I have no moral qualms with it. Unless your hospital is diving into the ground and you need that tech to pull a one star before you leave forever it won't change much gameplay imo

L0VE
May 3, 2010

uXs posted:

If they didn't intend for it they could have inactivated the ability to research new techs on old maps. Then again they made sure that you need to encounter a disease before having the research option available and also you need to actually upgrade a machine before you can research the next rank of upgrades.

There is also that one map where you get the occasional mission to research 250 points so who knows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The whole idea is you're running a whole group of hospitals, so it makes perfect thematic sense to me if you want to have one hospital as your designated research center. I actually wish you could do this with staff as well, train staff in one hospital with crazy tricked out training rooms and then transfer them to other hospitals but that would probably require not just freezing a hospital when you're not actively running it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

IIRC Theme Hospital had you research as if you were fresh for every single one but the rates were much faster. And 3-starring places later on gives you enough time to catch up; I'm doing the abandoned by the nuclear power plant one and I'm all caught up waiting for the cure rates to get up there.

One thing I really wish they would patch in is the ability to automatically research the next topic. I really hate to do the cash/kudos research because my guys can blow through it relatively quickly so I have to reinitialize it. Same with training; have some way of dedicating a teacher to certain skills to do a lecture whenever a staff has a slot available for it. Automation in general would be great for the longer hospitals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

njsykora posted:

Wars will be fought over who the best radio host is.

It's Harrison Wolfe.

It's Ricky Hawthorn actually

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think I am going to take a break from this until they fix the pathing. It's frustrating that you can put all this time into it and eventually something just snaps and suddenly your ward is totally nonfunctional because the nurses are doing laps

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Hopefully wards being a black hole garbage fires is getting fixed, devs are apparently testing a fix.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/535930/discussions/0/1734338354738810391/#c2590022385654158602

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

It's Ricky Hawthorn actually

It's Bigglesworth, fite me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sage Grimm posted:

It's Bigglesworth, fite me.

I'm too chill from all this honey in my ears

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can't remember their names, I know there's a ridiculously posh guy, a stoner guy, and someone in between.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

In order, that's Nigel Bicklesworth, Harrison Wolf, and Ricky Hawthorne.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like with some later scenarios going back to three-star them makes it seem way easier to just restart them from scratch because I completely forgot where I left off and I know what I'm doing now.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Today I learned that when training internally, send the trainer and the trainees on break, then a minute later pick them all up and dump them outside the training room, then order the training. Saves a lot of slow rear end walking, saves trainer/trainee sitting in the room waiting for the other to show up.

e: just owned myself, when I alt tabbed back in, I tried to pick up the pharmacy next to my level 3 fluid accelerator, accidentally picked up the accelerator, right clicked and panicked and sold it. Nice.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 7, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Got the game now. I really miss a way to "soft-close" a room, not booting everyone out but just preventing any more from queuing for it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Reposting from the steam community discussion forums - a summary of a recent dev livestream: https://steamcommunity.com/app/535930/discussions/0/2590022385654139989/

quote:

Recap of issues and requests addressed in 09/05 livestream.
Someone suggested that I look at the live stream for some answers on pressing questions. So I did. Here's what I was able to find:

1. Hotfix 1.02 was officially released.

2. They can not divulge too much information on gameplay at the moment as it might ruin the discovery process for new players.

3. The game has only been out for a few days and they have not gotten around to many of the queries because of time.

4. When placing GP/Treatment offices it is not only about how many rooms you place but also about the quality of training your doctors/nurses have. Building more offices alone will not necessarily fix queue issues. You need to have both enough offices and good enough staff to alleviate long queues. In other words, quality AND quantity. So it sounds as if they're saying it is working as intended.

5. They have a long list of priorities they are working on right now.

6. The copy room function request has been seen and taken in consideration but they don't have an answer yet because they don't know. Right now It is not a priority. See #5.

7. DLC is not being discussed right now since the game was only just released. If and when they have something to say about it they will.

8. Will the soundtrack of the game be available for download? They don't know yet but they'll let us know.

9. The difference between the number of nurses you assign to a ward vs assigning nurses to ward duty on the job page is that the first indicates how many nurses can work in a specific ward at any given time whereas the second indicates what type of room the nurse can work in.

10. From the way Craig was building rooms it seems that putting a lot of medicine cabinets in certain rooms is a good thing?

11. If you are missing your Golden Toilet follow these instructions by Blarla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBS62sYvc0

12. At this stage there are no plans being discussed for a console release. They know many people requested a console version and if anything changes they will let us know.

13. Men's toilets are filthy. Women's toilets are not. :steammocking:

14. Blarla is awesome. :steammocking:

15. Sonic is in the game. :steamhappy:

You can check out a replay of the stream at the link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNC6DD2Z3k

I definitely want to see this game improved and expanded so I will be paying attention to their future livestreams.

Their youtube page is here for anyone else who wants to subscribe to them for their streams.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 7, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

quote:

10. From the way Craig was building rooms it seems that putting a lot of medicine cabinets in certain rooms is a good thing?

Noohhhh shhhheeeeet?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

quote:

15. Sonic is in the game. :steamhappy:
Which makes me think there really should be some tannoy announcements calling for Dr. Robotnik and/or Eggman. Use being published by SEGA to its full advantage!

e: or a cheat code that just makes him the announcer in the style of Sonic Colours.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I mean, if they didn't want you to spam med cabinets in rooms they could have just given them a higher buff than one percent and put a cap on them.