Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Oscars people said they aren't going to do the "Best Popular Film" category. Probably because not a single person liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Surely everyone involved in a Marvel movie liked it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. They submitted Black Panther to best film category and ignored the popular category.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

No. They submitted Black Panther to best film category and ignored the popular category.

if it wins then the theory that the film's a psy-op becomes suddenly way more plausible

(not saying it's a bad movie, it's good as hell, though not as good as some people say imo)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

if it wins then the theory that the film's a psy-op becomes suddenly way more plausible

(not saying it's a bad movie, it's good as hell, though not as good as some people say imo)

Like many marvel movies it's dragged down by having the climax be uninteresting CGI-on-CGI garbage. It surprised me after Homecoming and Ragnarok to see such a blatant step backwards again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, same. Homecoming and Ragnarok are both generally better movies, Black Panther relies too much on spectacle (but I mean, that car chase scene WAS fuckin' good as gently caress)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Black Panther is the best MCU movie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Black Panther is maybe my favourite MCU movie and it's certainly from an intellectual level the best. It's got so much to say about race and a standard Marvel CGI finish doesn't change that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I disagree pretty hard that it has anything interesting to say about race. I'm not disputing it says things about race, but I don't think what it says is anywhere near as interesting as people make it out to be.

I think that Homecoming had much more interesting things to say about class.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but I imagine it is very good for a Marvel movie. Which means it still isn't close to Best Picture tier lmbo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

esperterra posted:

I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but I imagine it is very good for a Marvel movie. Which means it still isn't close to Best Picture tier lmbo

It's on Netflix as of yesterday :ssh:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Black Panther and Best Picture have the same initials. It's preordained.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

less laughter posted:

So does Bird Poop and Butt Place

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Iron Crowned posted:

It's on Netflix as of yesterday :ssh:

I think it's been on Canadian Netflix for a while lmao. I just tend to not watch Marvel movies til it's 2am on a random night and I'm very bored. Unless there's like a Cate Blanchett or Michelle Pfeiffer in the cast ngl

Disobedience should win Best Picture but I imagine it won't be nominated for anything anyway lmao

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Crowned posted:

So does Bird Poop and Butt Place

We weren't talking about your autobiography.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd say that Black Panther was super awesome and is really great I can see why it won't win because it's more of a "movie" than a "film". Meh whatever. I still think that Captain America II: Winter Soldier was their best "film" if marvel even had one (they don't, they're just fun). It was way closer to safe genres like a spy thriller than being seen as a dumb superhero flick.

Personally, I feel the pearl clutching about "Best popular film" vs "Best Picture" is whiny poo poo. The Oscars have been losing ratings for years and they need to do something for ratings. I know no one likes it but it's a business when you get down to it at this point. No one in hollywood cares about the "sanctimony of film" when there's a big fat paycheck otherwise so why do I care what categories they give each other. Has everyone forgotten that the Oscars are basically just Hollywood giving themselves blowjobs?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Agree re: Winter Soldier. I qualify that as a good movie not just a good Marvel movie tbh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love comic book films, well the good ones anyway, and there has never been a comic book film made that should’ve been nominated for Best Picture in any year. Even if you had 10 slots every year. Sorry it’s just the truth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's the tea imho

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There were a couple of comic book movies worthy of acting nods though. Obviously The Dark Knight. I think there were some nonimnation caliber performances in Logan for sure. Chris Reeve for the original Superman.

Of course Adam West was robbed in ‘66.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean if we're counting poo poo like Ghost World it opens it up a lot more, but I assume this convo is mostly about superhero stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

esperterra posted:

I mean if we're counting poo poo like Ghost World it opens it up a lot more, but I assume this convo is mostly about superhero stuff.

Well of course. When people say comic book movie they mean Spider-Man and not Road to Perdition.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

They're going all-in on Jack Ryan

The series is so bland and mediocre. Should have spent some of that ad money to make a better show instead. :shrug:

X-O posted:

I love comic book films, well the good ones anyway, and there has never been a comic book film made that should’ve been nominated for Best Picture in any year. Even if you had 10 slots every year. Sorry it’s just the truth.

A History of Violence :colbert:

but seriously I agree.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

Black Panther is the best MCU movie

It's a contender for sure, but Thor Ragnarok has it beat on almost every level.

Saying that though, i wouldn't mind T'Challa reading me to sleep everynight.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

I disagree pretty hard that it has anything interesting to say about race. I'm not disputing it says things about race, but I don't think what it says is anywhere near as interesting as people make it out to be.

I think that Homecoming had much more interesting things to say about class.

The strongest statement made about race in Black Panther is Killmonger's final line. I think it's probably one of the best lines in any of the Marvel movies to date.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Birdman was a superhero film, that won best pic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asecondduck posted:

Birdman was a superhero film, that won best pic.

Yes, because Birdman was an actual, crime fighting hero in the world of that film.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Disney would be plenty happy with Black Panther just being nominated for Best Picture. Winning the prize for popular film feels worthless in comparison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Don’t read CD.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elon Musk is live on Joe Rogan

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Black Panther was completely unremarkable. I only watched it for the first time a few weeks ago and I can't remember a single thing about it.

Pretty much the standard Marvel movie experience. The exception is the last Thor movie which was much better than the rest of them.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
smh

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1037827672187912192

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hey guys, just popped in to watch Iron Fist Season 2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like there is 3 things I"m excited for on network TV this season: Superstore, The Good Place, and Bob's Burgers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_United_States_network_television_schedule

This is what I'm looking forward to most of all too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuHiga0_2c

Lee, Tropper and Lin... A holy trinity :stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A History of Violence :colbert:

Actually did get an Oscar nomination for acting, but not for Viggo Mortensen, surprisingly (it was William Hurt for Best Supporting Actor).

Same with Road to Perdition actually - Paul Newman was nominated for the same award for that one. Surprised it didn't get more, actually, since as X-O mentioned it's not exactly what comes to mind when people say "comic book movie" (also because it was Sam Mendes's next movie after the one he won his Oscars for).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Logan was nominated for Best Screenplay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's about time Ultimate Warrior got a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Yes, because Birdman was an actual, crime fighting hero in the world of that film.

Sorry, I forgot the :v: at the end of the post.