Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Leviathans make for surprisingly good training dummies once you have your dodge high enough to avoid most of their attacks.

The 12k pearls they drop are a nice bonus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anywhere where Scorchlander recruits consistently spawn? I want to set myself up in the arms industry; I even have a great spot right next to Last Resort with middling water and plenty of iron, now all I need is the labour to make it so. No slaves, mind you, I have principles :colbert:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Anywhere where Scorchlander recruits consistently spawn? I want to set myself up in the arms industry; I even have a great spot right next to Last Resort with middling water and plenty of iron, now all I need is the labour to make it so. No slaves, mind you, I have principles :colbert:

dunno but I always find a ton of recruits in Shark and Clownsteady

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Greader posted:

Tried my own hand at this game after reading the thread. Decided to try building my own outpost once I had gates and walls and holy hell, it feels like the moment you create any manmade structure it sends a signal to every single bandit in the wasteland. I had to turn down the rate of raids because it was just constant attacks to the point where I abandoned my base several times just to run back to town to heal up. I ended up gathering up money as quickly as I could to hire more people at Squin and the Hub just to have more bodies to throw at things. At least I am close to unlocking mounted crossbows so I can have some guys on turret duty taking potshots at whatever jerk is currently trying to bash my gate in.

Sadly I did not take a screenshot but I also had a fun glitch where after I finished my stormhouse I was able to see inside and there were like 15 hungry bandits inside that for some reason either spawned in there or walked in and did not move around since. Had to run someone inside to aggro them because they apparently were perfectly content just standing around. :v:

People normally say to wait until you've got a couple decent level guys to start a settlement, but you can go from day one and your guys will just get beaten to a pulp and level up pretty quickly all things considered. Crossbow turrets will make a big difference.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If you want to start a town early you should get several thousand cats massed first so you can afford to hire some mercs to keep yourself from getting owned continuously.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd suggest saving up to buy a house in Squin and just research poo poo before you build anything. Once you've got some basics researched, I'd then suggest building up as close as you can to a fortified outpost.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Buy the wrecked house and fix it though, don't buy one of the ones that cost 30000 cats or whatever.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just so's we're clear, Strength doesn't add to combat damage or anything, right? It only affects attack speed with heavy weapons and carry weight, correct? Because I'm having my dudes lug raw iron all around the place to build up their strength, and it is sloooow going.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

CommissarMega posted:

Just so's we're clear, Strength doesn't add to combat damage or anything, right? It only affects attack speed with heavy weapons and carry weight, correct? Because I'm having my dudes lug raw iron all around the place to build up their strength, and it is sloooow going.

It adds to martial arts damage, but I don’t think to damage with other melee weapons.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Strength increases blunt damage, dexterity increases cutting damage. So whether strength matters for damage depends on the weapon, katanas for example have 0 blunt damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Strength doesn't even affect attack speed, really, that's all dex.

It's why all my trainees have crossbows and katana's. Get that dex super high first, then move them over to heavier poo poo when its at a decent level.

buglord posted:

I started a new save and committed crimes and got beat up repeatedly and i'm really strong early on, also rich. also more enjoyable than staring at odd colored rocks.

copper mining...newbie trap after all?

Its entirely a trap and any motherfucker who say's you should do it to start off with is an rear end in a top hat tbh.

Mining is there to supplement your income when you are poor/resting. I've bought about 5 houses in the hub right now (mainly because i've never done it before). The way i'm doing this is by going out with my squad of 8 (6 people, 2 animals).

The squad will murder the hell out of whatever comes by (usually i'll spread them into a line and pepper the gently caress out of whatever comes close) and then when we're all injured, i'll dump whoever's the most injured in a bed and then have the healthy guys mine while they rest up. I've been ranging further and further out (this is ironman for me, so i'm being slow and methodical).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i just started this game and Ive been mining until Im told I cant carry any more material. Where can i see what Ive accumulated because its not appearing in my inventory?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Upmarket Mango posted:

i just started this game and Ive been mining until Im told I cant carry any more material. Where can i see what Ive accumulated because its not appearing in my inventory?

The rocks you're mining have an inventory of their own. You have to left click on them to open it, and transfer it to your miners' inventory.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
While we're on the subject of working stuff, if I want to ensure my biofuel generators are constantly topped off, do I only Shift+rmb the generator, or do I have to do that for the generator, the biofuel converter, my hemp fields etc.? Just want to know if this is gonna be a one man or two man job.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Anyone having issues with corpses disappearing after loading the game? I've been using a corpse as a backpack and it keeps disappearing on m.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kinda wish you could reclaim ruined towns and rebuild them instead of having to build everything from scratch. I'd like to try to rebuild the big town in the Howler Maze after clearing out the crab infestation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MrTargetPractice posted:

Anyone having issues with corpses disappearing after loading the game? I've been using a corpse as a backpack and it keeps disappearing on m.

It does the same for me on the latest stable (reverted from experimental because nobody would drop a corpse, ironically).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CommissarMega posted:

While we're on the subject of working stuff, if I want to ensure my biofuel generators are constantly topped off, do I only Shift+rmb the generator, or do I have to do that for the generator, the biofuel converter, my hemp fields etc.? Just want to know if this is gonna be a one man or two man job.

Anything that requires a resource needs a storage within range that they can grab.

For example, with a farmer you can have a farmer make bread entirely by himself by placing the "operate machine: bread oven", then having the "operate machine: strawflour" then finally "harvest wheatstraw".

Same applies for Biofuel, it goes Gen - Con - Field in that order, finished product should always go first because raw materials are pretty much always available, whereas refined materials are not.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
corpses do despawn so be careful

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
New map corner released on September 17th. Game will then be considered feature complete.

Looks like for now, luxury features like mounts and animal taming have been dropped, which isn't too big of a deal for me but I understand it's annoying a few people.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Woohoo, I can't wait for the rest of the map to be finished, I want to see what lies in that shadowed space. Hopefully there aren't more settlements to be placed in the available areas, or resources to be shifted- I've got a base in the middle of a Fog Island 'bowl', and after the blood, sweat and tears (so many tears) I shed securing it, I'd need a bit of a liedown and a cry if anything were to disrupt it.

Also, I'm thinking of modding the game so that the Plate Jackets once again become the Perfect Armour™. Does modded armour carry over between patches, even if the base armour's stats change?

dogstile posted:

Looks like for now, luxury features like mounts and animal taming have been dropped, which isn't too big of a deal for me but I understand it's annoying a few people.

I read somewhere that the dev's using bought assets here and there, so maybe there was a problem finding/integrating those elements. I don't really care, what's there is already good, but I do wish there was some way to reliably farm meat and leather other than traipsing all over creation on a 4x spawns map.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I've been spending time running in between The Hub and the other starting city stealing everything nailed down or otherwise and made quite the amount of cash. I've also joined in in a few fights that break out. I have fairly low combat stats but ridiculous stealth and fairly good assassination due to the dummy you get access to when joining the thieves.

I managed to knock out an entire group of hungry bandits and jam them all into the storm house in The Hub. I've been training my fighting skill by opening the door until 1-3 run out and I kite them around until I clear out the whole place. I heal them up and dump them back inside and repeat. My character is becoming a beast with a ton fo Field Medic to boot.

For those of you who enjoy stealing stuff in games I highly recommend this one. The inventory of locations (including items in the world) are random and refresh once a day as far as I can tell. You can also sell something to a vendor and steal it back out of the chests/barrels around the shops.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at the House of Gimps training approach

my DESERT MODS just have four dust bandits on probation in a house in their base, and will go in and beat the poo poo out of them on occasion. the dudes have started yelling whenever they get let out of the cage. i also went on a trip to the floodlands for like a week and forgot to feed them. maybe i'll go kidnap some Shek once these ones croak

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol at the House of Gimps training approach

my DESERT MODS just have four dust bandits on probation in a house in their base, and will go in and beat the poo poo out of them on occasion. the dudes have started yelling whenever they get let out of the cage. i also went on a trip to the floodlands for like a week and forgot to feed them. maybe i'll go kidnap some Shek once these ones croak

I was telling a friend about this today. He looked deeply concerned as I described beating several starving people over and over again with glee.

It made my friend think I am a serial killer - GOTY

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Gah. Screaming Bandits aren't always hostile like cannibals are. So they run past the gate, yell "AUUBUGLUGLUG" to me when I'm doing interior decorating, then, after the dialogue window closes,all 20 of them go hostile in a confined space where I definitely don't have guards or turrets.

Will mercenaries block them from entering? Microing everyone on guard is exhausting. 😪

e: also this game nails massacres shockingly well. Mounds of bodies, pools of blood, scattered limbs *everywhere*, then some people leaving a snail trail of blood when they're crawling to escape. I've reloaded twice because turning a Holy Nation Farmhouse into a cold blooded mass grave of ground beef didn't meld well with my "restoring sanity to the wastelands" headcanon.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 4, 2018

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Found a small little exploit/bug. Putting items into a crafting bench clears their stolen flag.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Think of it as filing off the serial numbers.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I lost something like 20 chumps that I stowed away in my chump shack :C. Looks like they'll despawn if you get far enough away that town unloads.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

buglord posted:

I've reloaded twice because turning a Holy Nation Farmhouse into a cold blooded mass grave of ground beef didn't meld well with my "restoring sanity to the wastelands" headcanon.

But reducing the Holy Nation into a hell of blood and ash IS restoring sanity to the wastelands though :confused:

Also, how do I find out what a turret's firing arc and range is? I want to protect my base with some bigass towers.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The cannibal plains are great fun, sent my 15 man crew ranging from about 20 to 40 combat skills, brought 3 groups of cannibal hunters and a tech Hunter Merc, slaughtering my way towards the capital. It's an almost constant fight, so I took a rest in the first cannibal village and am waiting on my Mercs to clear the area enough that they will return, though their agro range is huge and the fighting hasn't stopped for the better part of a day.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

So it turns out that my chumps didn't respawn loving slave traders broke into my house, beat them up and carted them off. Buncha assholes.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

MrTargetPractice posted:

So it turns out that my chumps didn't respawn loving slave traders broke into my house, beat them up and carted them off. Buncha assholes.

I mean, they are slave traders. I'm ok with the dev dropping the animal stuff from release but I hope they stick around for some post release features. There's so much potential for dynamic world shenanigans in this game and I want more.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CommissarMega posted:

But reducing the Holy Nation into a hell of blood and ash IS restoring sanity to the wastelands though :confused:
Yeah im getting there. I just have to convince the wasteland that I'm not just another butthole. Most of my camp is made up of flotsam ninjas, and we're eventually gonna liberate Rebirth and murder our way through it all.

I also managed to capture the Cannibal Grand Wizard (after chopping his arm off in a fight) and got a sweet bounty for turning him. However, days later I found him back at the Cannibal Capital, still with his shackles on him. I dunno if the game teleported him there, or he somehow managed to escape prison and work his way back home. I karate'd him into a coma, ran him all the way across the map, and fed him to skin spiders.

Does this game have any sort of missions/goals? I get its a sandbox, but I would like to be able to topple one faction from power and install another, have cities change ownership, things like that. I'm a little concerned that things will remain static, aside from me adding a small base in Cannibal land.I feel like there's a chunk of the game missing, but maybe im not far along enough to see the rest? I don't really have a good indication of what I can do to "progress" and what's just immersive fluff. But also I dunno if I can complain when I spent $18 and got 48 hours of playtime so far.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 5, 2018

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

buglord posted:

massacres

Every fight has the potential to turn into a Tarantino style tragedy where dozens of mortally wounded men are all stumbling and crawling towards each other just to inflict further, useless, mutilation

10/10

linall
Feb 1, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah im getting there. I just have to convince the wasteland that I'm not just another butthole. Most of my camp is made up of flotsam ninjas, and we're eventually gonna liberate Rebirth and murder our way through it all.

I also managed to capture the Cannibal Grand Wizard (after chopping his arm off in a fight) and got a sweet bounty for turning him. However, days later I found him back at the Cannibal Capital, still with his shackles on him. I dunno if the game teleported him there, or he somehow managed to escape prison and work his way back home. I karate'd him into a coma, ran him all the way across the map, and fed him to skin spiders.

Does this game have any sort of missions/goals? I get its a sandbox, but I would like to be able to topple one faction from power and install another, have cities change ownership, things like that. I'm a little concerned that things will remain static, aside from me adding a small base in Cannibal land.I feel like there's a chunk of the game missing, but maybe im not far along enough to see the rest? I don't really have a good indication of what I can do to "progress" and what's just immersive fluff. But also I dunno if I can complain when I spent $18 and got 48 hours of playtime so far.

As I understand it the world reacting to what you do is one of the last things keeping the game from being feature complete. There is a mod ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1358096888 ) that supposedly builds some of this in ( weaken one faction, another grows in power ) but I can't say I've thrown my weight around to the point where I've noticed anything changing in my game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How tough are the attacks holy nation sends if you go to war with them? I've been itching to start that fight and have solid gear for most of my dudes but I'm not sure if their 20-45 stats will hold up.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How tough are the attacks holy nation sends if you go to war with them? I've been itching to start that fight and have solid gear for most of my dudes but I'm not sure if their 20-45 stats will hold up.

are you planning to just melee with them? have any turrets? what level gates?

I think a base requirement is you should be able to beat a patrol of 20 paladins easily, since their assaults will send paladins and worse (high paladins, inquisitors, named inquisitors)

I think I started a war with HN too early, but scrambling to recover from getting wiped and get my defenses up to snuff made the game more fun !

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I've got a mod gate with 300 hp and rank 2 harpoon turrets so I think I can hold the gate fine, but yeah I doubt I could handle that many paladins in melee, just taking down their regular patrols beats my guys up quite a bit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
HN attacks are brutal as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it possible to actually wipe out a faction for good?