Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

I wonder how many times that carpet's been replaced. That has to be some serious wear and tear.

(Originally worded as "I wonder how much carpet he got through," then thought better of it.)

Considering all that wear and tear those carpets definitely no longer matched the drapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Cheap bread in the US has sugar in it, but given that most major grocery stores have bakeries where you can get loaves of French bread, Italian Bread, or Sourdough there's plenty of options.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Panfilo posted:

Cheap bread in the US has sugar in it, but given that most major grocery stores have bakeries where you can get loaves of French bread, Italian Bread, or Sourdough there's plenty of options.

This comes up everytime someone says "American bread is cake" and they always forget about that and instead focus on going "YOUR BREAD IS CAKE YOU FAT FUCKS"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
That's a pretty weird and defensive tack to take. Yes, our grocers offer non-cake breads but the default prepack sliced bread is all cake. It's a terrible thing and should stop, but unfortunately the average American doesn't understand so if we stopped selling cake-breads they'd throw a loving fit. Everyone who cares buys bakery bread or makes their own, but it's not a majority.

Our bread is cake.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Atmus posted:

I knew a guy that vacuumed, shampooed, and brushed the carpet on the main level of his house every day. I wonder how many of these he's bought.

I vacuum every day cause of cats, but shampoo? That's a loving ordeal. The machine I have can do about one small room before I have to empty the dirt water and refill the clean water and soap. That rug soap isn't cheap either. We have a small house and it's still basically a whole days work. Then an hour or so to clean the machine. I do it maybe 3 times a year. Every day would be madness. That man must spend every waking moment preening his carpets.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Carpets are the worst thing ever invented

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Carpets are the worst thing ever invented

Have you ever had hardwood floors? I swear they are somehow worse.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Lol if you have floors

*falls forever into the void*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have noclip

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

lol if you don't just make Enrique lie on the ground to walk over.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Plastik posted:

That's a pretty weird and defensive tack to take. Yes, our grocers offer non-cake breads but the default prepack sliced bread is all cake. It's a terrible thing and should stop, but unfortunately the average American doesn't understand so if we stopped selling cake-breads they'd throw a loving fit. Everyone who cares buys bakery bread or makes their own, but it's not a majority.

Our bread is cake.

are you talking about cheapo wonderbread or something? i have never understood this bread cake thing. aside from bread explicitly labeled as sweet bread, i've never had bread that was sweet (never actually had wonderbread, tho, which is why i asked). the brand i usually goes with has a "honey oat & nut" flavor that is marginally sweeter than the whole wheat or nine grain or whatever, but even then it doesn't approach the blandest of cakes and the texture sucks more than the flavor. is super sugary bread a midwest/east coast thing? am i just missing out on cake bread in the pnw?

CaptainViolence has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Sep 7, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It’s not going to apply to all of your breads but at some point people just get used to the sugary taste and literally cannot perceive it anymore. The worst loving BLT I’ve ever had tasted practically candied, but when I asked my friends they just thought it was a bit on the sweet side but not extreme.

It’s mayonnaise was apparently like 50% honey and it was covered in it :v:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
No, you just have no context for it apparently. Nature's Own is cake. Wonderbread, cake. Then you have varieties like Hawaiian that are explicitly cake. But they're all cake. Every brand of sliced, packaged bread I have ever tried here is sweet. Two slices of Nature's Own Whole Wheat has nearly a gram of sugar. That's obnoxious.

Everything here is sweeter than everything almost everywhere else. American palates are tuned to much more sugar than anyone else. Our diet has been hijacked by a food industry drunk on cheap and abundant HFCS for decades. It's not that our bread isn't sweet, it's that most Americans can't taste anything less than a disgusting amount of sugar anymore.

E: Holy poo poo half the varieties of Nature's Own bread are available With Honey. Like, added honey in addition to the sugar. I'm glad I don't go to the bread aisle anymore.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Sep 7, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Xun posted:

It’s mayonnaise was apparently like 50% honey

ugh, what the hell?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tired: putting corn syrup or cane sugar in bread

Wired: putting molasses in bread

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

ugh, what the hell?

I know, I was pissed :argh:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

No. Carpet really sucks. I plan on moving soon and I'll be looking to replace every inch of carpet with something that isn't carpet. The poo poo is like a magnet for filth.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

If they have a heavily shedding pet in NoAngeles you'd better hope they're vacuuming twice a day.

I have two cats and three out of four people in my family have long hair. We also have hardwood floors. I just bought a Roomba so there aren't dust mice in every loving corner. Just vacuum by hand once a week and the rest ist done by the robot while we are at work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Americans like sugar, so I wouldn’t be surprised if even our bakery fresh bread isn’t at least slightly sweeter than European varieties.

Although USA isn’t even the worse on our own continent. Mexicans eat more sugar than anyone so their bread probably tastes like crushed Smarties.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The pure unfiltered hatred over the sweetness of American bread by Europeans (and yes I'll admit some bread is sweeter than it needs to be, especially all white varieties) makes me almost afraid of how European bread must taste, because if ours tastes like cake in contrast, I can only envision their standard to be some miserable tasteless hardtack or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

The pure unfiltered hatred over the sweetness of American bread by Europeans (and yes I'll admit some bread is sweeter than it needs to be, especially all white varieties) makes me almost afraid of how European bread must taste, because if ours tastes like cake in contrast, I can only envision their standard to be some miserable tasteless hardtack or something.

It tastes like bread instead of cake

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What does European toothpaste taste like? Because ours is candy.

I switched to a non-sweetened toothpaste and now Colgate or Crest tastes like icing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HisMajestyBOB posted:

All we get here is Diet Coke: Roasted Liver Flavor.

https://twitter.com/fakefantas/status/1037961421772992515

Fanta are way ahead of the curve

(A good bot account)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know that after a couple of weeks in America (Minnesota) I started to feel slightly insane because it felt like every single thing I ate was sweetened. Like the inside of my mouth was coated constantly. And I have a pretty bad soda habit so like-- it's not as if I dislike sweetness in itself. I just started to yearn for something that was not sweet to the taste.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

My entire flat is tiled. I'm not even making that up, it is wall-to-wall tiles.

CaptainViolence posted:

are you talking about cheapo wonderbread or something? i have never understood this bread cake thing. aside from bread explicitly labeled as sweet bread, i've never had bread that was sweet (never actually had wonderbread, tho, which is why i asked). the brand i usually goes with has a "honey oat & nut" flavor that is marginally sweeter than the whole wheat or nine grain or whatever, but even then it doesn't approach the blandest of cakes and the texture sucks more than the flavor. is super sugary bread a midwest/east coast thing? am i just missing out on cake bread in the pnw?
Just looked up the numbers on some common supermarket breads in Australia:

Helga's wholemeal (marketed as high quality): 3g sugar per 100g.
Coles Bakery white (baked in the supermarket): <1g sugar per 100g.
Tip Top Sunblest Soft White Sandwich (generic white bread): 2.4g per 100g.
Wonder White Toast Bread (generic white bread): 3.5g per 100g.

How do popular American brands compare?

Choco1980 posted:

There are flavours other than "sweet", you know.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tiggum posted:

I just looked up our Wonder Bread, which is pretty much as generic mass produced white bread as you can get.
Sugars are 8.77g per 100g.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

The worst bread is Wonderbread and that is 5g of sugar per serving (57g). A 'fancy good for you bread' like Nature's Own 12-grain is 3g of sugar per 43g serving. But maybe Australian grams are different than American ones. Also keep in mind that sugar is probably HFCS and it's shoved in there for preservation more than taste. Still bad for you, though.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Krispy Wafer posted:

Americans like sugar, so I wouldn’t be surprised if even our bakery fresh bread isn’t at least slightly sweeter than European varieties.

Probably not - no baker worth his salt puts sugar in a basic bread dough as the flour contains more than enough stuff for the yeast to eat. Any added sugar only serves to shorten the rise time and thus creating completely flavorless bread.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Choco1980 posted:

they're making sandwiches with those little loaves of angel food cake because they're illiterate hth

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiggum posted:

The numbers come out funny because nothing lists nutrition facts per 100g in the US. It's all per "serving" which can be absolutely anything.

Nature's own honey wheat has 2g per serving, which is 26g.

Same brand's regular whole wheat is "<1g" per same serving size. God only knows how much that actually is.

Neither of those two have corn syrup, by the way.

Same brand has a sugar free variety that has zero sugar per 25g (:wtc:) serving.

Sunbeam Enriched has 3g per 49g serving, and does have HFC.

Wonder Bread has 5g sugar per 57g serving, and contains HFC.

At this point I got tired of googling bread. The takeaway is that buying at random will get you significantly sweeter bread than elsewhere, but if you're paying attention you can find Euro or Aussie-comparable bread without resorting to fancy hand made artisanal stuff.

Edit: apparently I spent too long googling. For the record, most cake I looked at had at least 30g sugar per 100g slice.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

For all those enjoying Breadchat™, I recently made my first loaf at home with the no-knead method from this video and even after only 12 hours it was ridiculously good. Just use a scale right from the get go and have a thermometer in your oven in case it goes well above 550º because at like 700º the cooking time is halved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mexicans eat more sugar than anyone so their bread probably tastes like crushed Smarties.
Great, now all the non-Americans are picturing bread with (Mexican?) chocolate in it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

I know that after a couple of weeks in America (Minnesota) I started to feel slightly insane because it felt like every single thing I ate was sweetened. Like the inside of my mouth was coated constantly. And I have a pretty bad soda habit so like-- it's not as if I dislike sweetness in itself. I just started to yearn for something that was not sweet to the taste.

I have this theory that this exact phenomenon is why IPAs are so popular in the US. If you hate-gently caress your throat with hops at least you're not tasting sugar anymore.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Plastik posted:

I have this theory that this exact phenomenon is why IPAs are so popular in the US. If you hate-gently caress your throat with hops at least you're not tasting sugar anymore.

IPAs are popular because they're piss-easy to make at a craft scale, and have actual flavor. Making good lager at a small scale is (relatively) a royal pain in the rear end.

It also has a lot to do with the major adjunct beers in the US being utter trash.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I eat more “real” bread than white bread, but white bread still doesn’t taste unusually sweet to me and I don’t understand anyone who thinks it’s ridiculously sweet or like cake. Maybe it’s because I don’t buy Wonder Bread?

Also IPAs suck and will always suck. There’s better ways to add flavor to beer than overloading bitter pine into it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I eat more “real” bread than white bread, but white bread still doesn’t taste unusually sweet to me and I don’t understand anyone who thinks it’s ridiculously sweet or like cake. Maybe it’s because I don’t buy Wonder Bread?

Given that starch is just a bunch of sugar molecules bonded together and that the enzymes in your saliva start turning the starch in your bread into straight-up glucose as soon as you eat it, this is a weird discussion to have. White wheat flour is like 73% carbohydrates and all turns to sugar in your gut anyway so who cares.

quote:

Also IPAs suck and will always suck. There’s better ways to add flavor to beer than overloading bitter pine into it.

Pine?

Piney west coast IPAs haven't been the trend for years now, and the focus now is on hops that taste literally nothing like pine. I'm not trying to convince you to drink IPAs because more for me if you don't, but the trend in IPAs for a while now has been enormously fruity and citrusy, not piney.

MrYenko posted:

IPAs are popular because they're piss-easy to make at a craft scale, and have actual flavor. Making good lager at a small scale is (relatively) a royal pain in the rear end.

It also has a lot to do with the major adjunct beers in the US being utter trash.

Making lagers *is* a pain in the rear end. It's ordinarily such a light and clean style that it will really show off everything you're doing wrong. Unless you have serious process control, you'll get off-flavors and esters and all this stuff that you're not supposed to taste in a lager (Things like bocks and rauchbiers excepted).

From that perspective, the major adjunct beers in the US are *incredible*. You can buy a can of Budweiser at any time of the year, in any part of the country, and it will all taste identical. From a brewer's perspective, this is an amazing level of process control. It's not tasty beer because they've scrubbed most of the flavor out of it, but the consistency of their process is admirable and everyone wishes that they beer could be that consistent from batch to batch.

It's also really easy to screw up IPAs even at a craft scale. The number of new breweries who put out an IPA that tastes like movie theater buttered popcorn is way larger than it should be.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Sep 7, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krispy Wafer posted:

But maybe Australian grams are different than American ones

:psyduck:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The worst bread is Wonderbread and that is 5g of sugar per serving (57g). A 'fancy good for you bread' like Nature's Own 12-grain is 3g of sugar per 43g serving. But maybe Australian grams are different than American ones. Also keep in mind that sugar is probably HFCS and it's shoved in there for preservation more than taste. Still bad for you, though.

A gram is a standard unit of measurement (unlike a cup, for instance). American bread just has that much more sugar than Australian.

Efb

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Plastik posted:

That's a pretty weird and defensive tack to take. Yes, our grocers offer non-cake breads but the default prepack sliced bread is all cake. It's good as hell and should never stop, but fortunately the average American doesn't understand so if we stopped selling good as hell breads they'd throw a loving fit. Everyone who cares buys bakery bread or makes their own, but it's not a majority.

Our bread is good as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We do have great bread in America. I buy one loaf a week at a local placed called Josey Baker Bakery (his name is actually Josey Baker) and they even mill their own flour which pretty much nobody does.