Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like there's probably a better thread to ask this in, but does anyone know of any movie or tv show where someone holds up one of those old timey film canisters and we see a close up shot of the canister being held so we can read the label? I feel like there's tons of that across all media but nothing comes to mind right now.

Just from the plot I wanna say Last Action Hero and Inglorious Basterds have something like this, but I can't find any screen shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A couple of articles called Eminem's new album "bad" and somehow it surprises people there that many Eminem fans show up in the comments to disagree.

Also, some people hilariously think that those who listen to Eminem and ICP are Trump supporters.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

F for Fake

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Grendels Dad posted:

Just from the plot I wanna say Last Action Hero and Inglorious Basterds have something like this, but I can't find any screen shots.

Basterds definitely has the shots of Shoshanna packing the film reel into a container with a big X on it after her little edit

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh, Sinister's probably got dozens of those shots, too

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The MSJ posted:

A couple of articles called Eminem's new album "bad" and somehow it surprises people there that many Eminem fans show up in the comments to disagree.

Also, some people hilariously think that those who listen to Eminem and ICP are Trump supporters.

I never understood the appeal of Eminem despite being the exact demographic (white, middle class, suburban, slightly older brother who just discovered rap in 2000 through Eminem and Weird Al) that made him and the South Park guys eternally rich. When I was fifteen or something my friend bought an Eminem brand tracksuit, which was all extremely puffy and emblazoned with the word Eminem in Gothic font down the limbs and on the back

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 7, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I feel like Eminem could have been next level if he were focusing on saying some poo poo (which he does sometimes) instead of the low hanging fruit that made him the South Park of rappers. I mean picking fights with Moby? Okay

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like Eminem could have been next level if he were focusing on saying some poo poo (which he does sometimes) instead of the low hanging fruit that made him the South Park of rappers. I mean picking fights with Moby? Okay

That speaks to that early two thousands pretty well, instead Eminem should've dissapeared as well as the confused at being called out Moby

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think Eminem would be a lot more interesting if he was born 20-25 years later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean he's got a teen daughter and lots of money. If ever there were a time to go Chud it's now but he's dissing trump so that's alright in my books

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any movies which set things up as a standard feel-good story about someone going out to achieve their dreams, but then failing to do so because they just aren't good enough and have to go home disappointed? I think I would enjoy that but none are occurring to me off the top of my head.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean doesn't ash fail constantly in the Pokémon movies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but he always resolve to keep trying, he doesn't give up and go home.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I've never seen it but the German movie Schultz gets the Blues sounds like that from the synopsis.

Except the going home part

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are there any movies which set things up as a standard feel-good story about someone going out to achieve their dreams, but then failing to do so because they just aren't good enough and have to go home disappointed? I think I would enjoy that but none are occurring to me off the top of my head.

The Mercy is exactly this, and it’s like 70% of the way to being a great film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Mercy is exactly this, and it’s like 70% of the way to being a great film.

Sure, I'll give that one a try. I enjoy stories like that - stories that remind us that most of the time we just aren't good enough and simply having dreams is no guarantee we will ever achieve them, and the failure, more often than not, wasn't worth the effort in the first place. Maybe I have a cynical view of the matter, but there you go.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Crowd

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bad News Bears 1 i think?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Baron von Eevl posted:

I definitely trust Lurdiak, the histrionic weirdo that doesn't like Bob's Burgers over Hat Thoughts, the cool guy who is literally posting first-hand experience, in this debate.

Heres the thing: lurdiak is right

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you left or what

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Heres the thing: lurdiak is right

Here's another thing tho, theyre both right:

I've had plenty of experiences where I felt dehumanized in the process of using EBT, but also experiences where it was so normal and common that there was no sting to pulling it out in front of people. The latter made me glad I had it cause i needed it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://twitter.com/oikvw/status/10...ingawful.com%2F

Goddamn self absorbed, vapid millennials.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Here's another thing tho, theyre both right:

I've had plenty of experiences where I felt dehumanized in the process of using EBT, but also experiences where it was so normal and common that there was no sting to pulling it out in front of people. The latter made me glad I had it cause i needed it.

Yeah, my first intro to "stamps" was my older cousin telling me a story about his job as a checker and correcting a woman who didn't want to say what they were, by using the intercom to call a manager about the lady's stamp card. I myself won't try and get them between jobs because of that stigma.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

The original Bad News Bears.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cashless item restricted welfare applies to majority indigenous communities here, and keeps being trialled in the blacker areas of Sydney in hopes of applying it to the rest of the poor, but it never catches on, because it's pretty hard to newly introduce the idea that single mothers will spend their money on crack and whatever instead of baby formula if given an inch in 2018

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 7, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gonna catch up on tiddle de winks

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If I had a dollar for every time I heard a middle aged white person loudly talking poo poo about another customer at the grocery store using an EBT card I could could feed all the poor for free.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is not as bad as that but the whitest sentence I ever caught the tail end of was

“...and you know, I think Applebees gets a bad rap. It’s pretty good!”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Last American Virgin's ending is one of the most brutal endings of a wacky teenager hijinks movie I've ever seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the deal with screenings that have a live score over them? I assume it's just a band playing over the movie without modifying the movie's audio? Is it as terrible and distracting as it sounds?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

What's the deal with screenings that have a live score over them? I assume it's just a band playing over the movie without modifying the movie's audio? Is it as terrible and distracting as it sounds?

No, it's pretty great actually. It's an actual soundtrack for the movie performed live. I've gone to a few and love it, and I'm hoping to catch a screening of Häxan with a live score in October.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How does that work with a 35mm print? Can you just... not hear the dialogue :confused:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

How does that work with a 35mm print? Can you just... not hear the dialogue :confused:

Most of the performances I've seen have been for silent films, but there's probably a way for the theater to isolate the dialogue and drop off the music levels from the print and mix the live music with a board so it sounds good.

What movie is it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Danger Diabolik. So, I should probably do it anyway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I'll give that one a try. I enjoy stories like that - stories that remind us that most of the time we just aren't good enough and simply having dreams is no guarantee we will ever achieve them, and the failure, more often than not, wasn't worth the effort in the first place. Maybe I have a cynical view of the matter, but there you go.

The Muppets (2011).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Danger Diabolik. So, I should probably do it anyway.

Yeah, why not? Sounds good. Bava movies aren't known for their dialogue.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The Fabio Frizzi and Goblin live scores I went to weren't the full movie, but a medley of scenes from each film while the band played the respective score to each. The Mad Max live score I went to done by Morricone Youth was the entire movie played out muted while the band played their own score over the whole thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, why not? Sounds good. Bava movies aren't known for their dialogue.

Yeah, I just snagged two tickets. I was just worried about bringing a friend who hasn't seen it yet. But whatever, it's pretty. They'll get it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

therattle posted:

The Muppets (2011).

Avenue Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdcROXeaWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spent some time at the UW Hospital the past few days after phone calls with my mom and my ex left me in a place where I was acting erratically, walking around the parking lot and forming thoughts of harming myself; my neighbor called the police for a welfare check, and after sitting me down in my apartment, they took me to the ER on Wednesday afternoon. I was admitted to the hospital--just general medicine, not the psych ward--and got stabilized, got home earlier today, feeling a lot better, especially after I allowed a cop to confiscate all narcotics from my apartment and all sharp objects outside of one chef's knife and then a bunch of butter and steak knives that are duller than dishwater. But all in all ... well, talked to three medical professionals who all agreed, and got me to admit, that my relationships with my mother and my ex are toxic, that I am a victim, that my ex keeping my dog from me is bullshit, but cutting them out completely might be the price to pay to regain some sanity.

I think I had the mental break a whole bunch of you were expecting me to finally have after everything that's gone on this year.

It'll all get better.

:unsmith:

• Locked thread