Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That’s weird because she was just on CBB talking about how much she loves Rhea.

E: not that you can’t still love someone from which you’re separating though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

II know it's probably not cool to speculate, but I wonder if it has anything to do with Rhea's announcement recently that they (Rhea) are now identifying with nonbinary pronouns. Perhaps Rhea is transitioning?

No matter how much you love someone, I can imagine it would be a difficult thing for any couple to work through.

Of course, it could just be stress from having their personal and professional lives so intertwined.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This is legitimately such a goddamned bummer

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dacap posted:

II know it's probably not cool to speculate, but I wonder if it has anything to do with Rhea's announcement recently that they (Rhea) are now identifying with nonbinary pronouns. Perhaps Rhea is transitioning?

I doubt it. They discussed that issue a year ago on Queery, and it was clear Rhea was already starting to think along those lines.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Funny stuff lmao

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Skip My Posts posted:

Funny stuff lmao

Hey SMP, have you done standup?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I know nobody really reads this thread but I like it.

I just read a cool book called "I Killed", composed of road stories by various comics if anyone cares about that sort of thing .

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

BiggerBoat posted:

I just read a cool book called "I Killed", composed of road stories by various comics if anyone cares about that sort of thing .

I'll check it out.

While were on the subject, are there any book recommendations on joke writing or comics material analysis? I'm curious about the writing aspect of the standup trade.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://www.amazon.ca/Poking-Dead-Frog-Conversations-Today%C2%92s/dp/0143123785

This and the other book by the same author are pretty good on writing. Nothing mindblowing but good reads.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Same.

I like standup a lot, but can't really add anything beyond "Hey - I went and saw *insert comic that you all know about already here* recently."

Umm - latest example - Dave Attell at the Acme a couple weekends ago. He was really good - shocker!
Up next - Marc Maron at the Acme next month. Perhaps you've heard of him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Same.

I like standup a lot, but can't really add anything beyond "Hey - I went and saw *insert comic that you all know about already here* recently."

Umm - latest example - Dave Attell at the Acme a couple weekends ago. He was really good - shocker!
Up next - Marc Maron at the Acme next month. Perhaps you've heard of him.

True, but I've learned about some really good comics from this thread also. I rarely want to watch a set from someone I've never heard of and most of the recommendations I've gotten here have been pretty good.

Since I brought up books, I read The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy a few months back and it was really great but for some reason seemed to cut off early even though it was published in 2015. It talks about the evolution of the art and how it's changed with the times in a really interesting way.

I go to my local open mic night sometimes and keep telling myself I'm gonna try it one day. Basically, I go to see how lovely they are to try and build up my courage. Takes a LOT of balls to get up there. Balls I apparently lack.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

True, but I've learned about some really good comics from this thread also. I rarely want to watch a set from someone I've never heard of and most of the recommendations I've gotten here have been pretty good.

Yeah - I do appreciate the heads up on good specials, etc. I can't control who comes through the local clubs here, but I'll sure as Hell check things out on streaming services.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Check out Joe Mande if he comes to your city. His new poo poo is great. Some of it is being workshopped still, but worth the time and money!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I wind up overdosing on comedy during JFL42, which is next month. I usually see a lot of new comics by virtue of them being in the festival. I like this thread and have googled some new names as a result of it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Burnt Chrysler's new Netflix special dropped today. Pretty loving funny actually. He's still super fat though

Gramps fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 25, 2018

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Gramps posted:

Burnt Chrysler's new Netflix special dropped today. Pretty loving funny actually. He's still super fat though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man I would prolly pay a two drink min to see Roy Nelson do standup.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Rumours are Louis CK is back performing at clubs. Seems like lots of people are still angry at him and want him to stop?

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Monglo posted:

Rumours are Louis CK is back performing at clubs. Seems like lots of people are still angry at him and want him to stop?

Huh, weird. Anyone got more info on this?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ol yeller posted:

Huh, weird. Anyone got more info on this?

The Onion has been tearing into him for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

he's hilariously just straight up springing himself on people who 100% did not come out to see him so the jokes pretty much write themselves.

It's almost like he knows if the club advertises 'and also Louis CK' they probably won't get as many tickets sold so he just did it as a fun surprise.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
actually theyd probably sell way more tickets

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao yeah louis ck's name is going to depress ticket sales OK

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno why they thought it was a smart idea to do a 'surprise here's the dude who beats off at women back' move if they didn't think they maybe didn't want to deal with the story before the fact.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/The40YearOldBoy/status/1034324769527590912

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

he's hilariously just straight up springing himself on people who 100% did not come out to see him so the jokes pretty much write themselves.

It's almost like he knows if the club advertises 'and also Louis CK' they probably won't get as many tickets sold so he just did it as a fun surprise.

He got a standing ovation at the end, apparently.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Comedy fans will overwhelmingly accept Louis CK back as long as he's funny, and we know he's more than capable of self distribution if he wants to start earning before other people feel comfortable aligning their brand with him again.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno why they thought it was a smart idea to do a 'surprise here's the dude who beats off at women back' move if they didn't think they maybe didn't want to deal with the story before the fact.

well you dont know poo poo about it and thought that bringing in a hugely famous and super controversial figure would actually make ticket sales drop lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Megazver posted:

He got a standing ovation at the end, apparently.

The Comedy Cellar was a very safe space to return. CK is a lot of things but not stupid.

The whole thing is repulsive to me but what else was going to happen?

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 31, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skip My Posts posted:

well you dont know poo poo about it and thought that bringing in a hugely famous and super controversial figure would actually make ticket sales drop lol

yea not real sure why I thought that tbh

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
If you like frankie boyle, the third 'episode' of his podcast Prometheus is just his new show recorded live in Glasgow.
He does a little CK joke, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Been listening to Artie Lange's audio book, "Crash & Burn", and holy poo poo. How is this guy still alive? If you're ever getting down and want to feel better about your life, check that book out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
all my heroes are loving dead

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/964024730423455744?s=19

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

He's been retweeting and mentioning a bunch of right-wing dudes since yesterday. I honestly think it's part of a bit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

He's been retweeting and mentioning a bunch of right-wing dudes since yesterday. I honestly think it's part of a bit.

I think the simplest explanation is that he's a funny old guy with lovely old guy opinions.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
It does kind of feel like the roast where he read jokes out of an old joke book, but with Norm Macdonald it is impossoble to tell.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Odddzy posted:

He also recently complained about how the Metoo movement has gone too far and Roseanne and Louis C.K.'s lives were ruined by SJW's, I guess? This led to Jimmy Fallon canceling an appearance of his.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/12/entertainment/norm-macdonald-metoo-apology/index.html

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 15, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in a way the most surprising thing that is not surprising at all is fallon cancelling a guest

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps gently caress norm if his love for showbusiness is higher than his love for human beings gah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
none of that is really what he was getting at (as he explained on the stern show a couple days back). he was saying that sexual assault is, unfortunately, a very common thing, with known support systems for victims. and what ck and roseanne went through (being famous and suddenly publicly blackballed) is fairly uncommon. he then adds that he doesnt really understand what the endgame of blackballing is, and that it is unrealistic to expect that ck and barr should just kill themselves or disappear, or if that really helps anything.

i dont necessarily agree with him but to say hes fighting the sjws is kind of misleading.