Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

I have a theory that Donny Cates only set out to write Cosmic Ghost Rider because he had an idea how to make every issue have an even more insane last page.

The only way it could get any better is if every last page is actually a springboard for a mini-series of what the last page is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only way it could get any better is if every last page is actually a springboard for a mini-series of what the last page is about.

Well the last page of the first is the mini we're reading now. So I'll definitely take the other two as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i tell yall what...if tnc had the cap books and did secret empire that wouldve been one hell of a story

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking of one of my favourite Marvel ongoings from the early 2000s - probably the first "deep cut" Marvel series (i.e. not Spider-Man or X-Men) I was really, really into - namely Fabian Nicieza and Tom Grummett's New Thunderbolts.

One notable thing about it is that I enjoy how annoyed Nicieza seems with the two big crossovers coinciding with his run, House of M (Purple Man complaining that this isn't part of his plan when the reality warp hits then snarking about how he's glad things are back to normal and he can get back to the important story when it resets) and Civil War (in which Cap and Iron Man declare a temporary truce so the Avengers can be together to play the role he needed them to).

Great wee series. I think that was a great roster for the team (MACH V, Songbird, Atlas, Radioactive Man, Speed Demon, Joystick and Genis Vell with Carol Danvers periodically showing up as their probation officer). I think I might like it better than the original Thunderbolts run, which I like a whole lot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nicieza is really one of those writers you just want to leave alone and do his own thing for like fifty issues and then come back to. I'm still fond of New Warriors, even if I haven't re-read it in ages (and know some of it won't hold up).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only read the first half of his New Warriors run (because Marvel only ever did a vol. 1 omnibus :() but I really enjoyed it as well. I'd like to try and follow up the back half that run sometime.

It can seem a bit over-plotted at times but I think he's very good at coming up with overarching storylines which don't detract from the consistency of individual issues. I think he's a lot like Claremont in that regard.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've only read the first half of his New Warriors run (because Marvel only ever did a vol. 1 omnibus :() but I really enjoyed it as well. I'd like to try and follow up the back half that run sometime.

It can seem a bit over-plotted at times but I think he's very good at coming up with overarching storylines which don't detract from the consistency of individual issues. I think he's a lot like Claremont in that regard.

This is true, and I think his New Warriors starts to sag a bit later on when he starts feeling obligated to bring his ominous dangling subplots home to roost. I'll always ride and die for the first Busiek chunk of Thunderbolts but you're right that Nicieza's entire run is a lot of fun as well. I think that by the end the stakes get a little out of hand compared to the relatively grounded premise ("relatively") of the original series but it was still a super entertaining ride.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dawgstar posted:

Nicieza is really one of those writers you just want to leave alone and do his own thing for like fifty issues and then come back to. I'm still fond of New Warriors, even if I haven't re-read it in ages (and know some of it won't hold up).

Agreed. His uninterrupted runs are usually really enjoyable comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine part of my affection for it is that Graviton is one of my favourite B-list Marvel villains and he was essentially dug out of the pile of semi-forgotten bad guys (something Nicieza does again in New Thunderbolts when he reveals that Purple Man is using the old FF villain Overmind to expand his own powers and even has him remark on how Overmind is from the "forgotten characters" pile) to serve as their arch-enemy and then has Moonstone belittle him for having powers that should make him invincible but being so bereft of ambition he has no idea what to do with them.

I think that's it; Nicieza is good at what Chris Sims and Matt Wilson always talk about on War Rocket Ajax; that Marvel universe bullshit. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 7, 2018

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
He’s a big part of Deadpool and Cable as we know them too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spurred on my the mention, I've been re-reading Nicieza's New Warriors run. It's very 90's, but holds up well despite some eccentricities. For starters, Mark Bagley who I consider a terrific artist cannot draw a Korean person to save his life. Fabian loves the insult 'geek.' Also half the NW team are giant pricks (mostly Nova and Thrasher). There's a scene where Nova quits his gym and the very pleasant receptionist tells him to call her, and Richie thought bubbles "Brainless, but built. Maybe I will call her." It's going quite the treat to watch him jackass his way into Nita's heart.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Do remember that New Warriors was actually Bagley's first real job as an artist in the comics industry as he'd only done some backup work in a few titles after winning a Marvel contest.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

His Deadpool & Cable run is pretty strong, too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BOY FUCKIN HOWDY FANTASTIC FOUR SURE IS A GREAT COMIC AIN'T IT CHUMS

https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/1038448506132946944

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What’s wong with it? I read the full preview. It was really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sexualizing a teenager is cool and good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I don’t think it’s sexualizing anyone at all. The scene is them leaving a new universe they just created and one of the people in that universe pullled a Namor/Sue asking to marry Val right in front of Reed and made him go all protective father and snatch her out of the way.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Having a literal red skinned Native American stereotype solicit a teenager for sex is pretty bad.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Rhyno posted:

Everything about these two panels sucks so bad. Good god!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Having a literal red skinned Native American stereotype solicit a teenager for sex is pretty bad.

Roth clearly gets it. And I didn't find this, it's cropping up on twitter/fb etc.

Sky blue, water wet, Slott lovely writer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rip best doggo

https://twitter.com/Mitch692/status/1038112654261448704

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

Reed's beard looks gross. Look at that chin!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So according to thanos legacy cosmic ghost rider, due to what im assuming is some sort of as of yet unseen time travel shenanigans, exists in "current" marvel time so now i need a cosmic rider/regular frank castle team up

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Roth posted:

Wasn't she, when last we saw her, not even 10? Certainly she wasn't even a teenager, but one way or the other during Secret Wars she was a literal child, right?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Kieran is pretty much a bummer regarding the big two, but this time I agree with him; Slott should know better than that.

Then again, it is Slott, it is my fault for getting my hopes up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rantmo posted:

Wasn't she, when last we saw her, not even 10? Certainly she wasn't even a teenager, but one way or the other during Secret Wars she was a literal child, right?

She was 4 back in Hickman's F4. With the six month time skip in the middle of Avengers, and the eight year time skip in Secret Wars, we can generously believe her to be 14.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Give amazing to insomniac tia

https://twitter.com/BillRosemann/status/1038621972035395584?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

That’s not what’s happening there and you seem really angry over nothing, my dude.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My girlfriend was watching me play it yesterday and complained that his butt was nowhere near big enough for someone who does lots of jumps and squats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s not what’s happening there and you seem really angry over nothing, my dude.

It is actually exactly what is happening.

I'm so happy when my favorite comic of all time is absolute poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s honestly even worse than that really.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s honestly even worse than that really.

? The only bad thing about it is Slott’s lack of subtlety by having Sue spell out what’s happening during the situation as it’s jokingly played from Sues perspective watching Reed be an overprotective father and Franklin as the protective brother who also is a God. She’s not actually making out and poo poo with the dude.

And Molecule Man hanging out with them is pretty cool. Here’s the preview for the issue which shows the entire interaction. Like the whole thing plays out like a family giving each other poo poo and follows it with more family of explorers.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 10, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I meant having a really lovely Native stereotype hit on a 14 year old it’s pretty lovely for more than just the creepy aspects.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I meant having a really lovely Native stereotype hit on a 14 year old it’s pretty lovely for more than just the creepy aspects.

This is also a huge problem.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

My girlfriend was watching me play it yesterday and complained that his butt was nowhere near big enough for someone who does lots of jumps and squats.

He probably doesn't eat right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

He probably doesn't eat right.
This...is actually a good reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

This...is actually a good reason.

Not surprising. Peter should be eating a steady diet of flys, butterflys, and other bugs. Instead, he eats pizza, wheatcakes, and ramen noodles. The guy has got it all wrong.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

Not surprising. Peter should be eating a steady diet of flys, butterflys, and other bugs. Instead, he eats pizza, wheatcakes, and ramen noodles. The guy has got it all wrong.

For some reason, I can't get over the bit in the opening movie where he web-pulls two slices of toast over to himself for breakfast. He doesn't even butter them or anything. It's just two slices of plain toast with web fluid on them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

For some reason, I can't get over the bit in the opening movie where he web-pulls two slices of toast over to himself for breakfast. He doesn't even butter them or anything. It's just two slices of plain toast with web fluid on them.

Little do you know that that was Spider-Man's patented butter flavor web fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Maybe web-fluid tastes like butter. Maybe it's dairy-based.