Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Yeah, implicitly criticizing The Wire for being "too white" is about off-base as an opinion possibly can be. Like that guy I knew who called the Eagles a "one-hit wonder".

e: lovely snipe. I hope to see more Hollyhock, but I don't want bad things to happen to her. Is that actually possible in this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno, there's been some Oscar Bait that I thought was good, but also never felt compelled to want to watch it again.

Most prestige television I never feel compelled to watch again. Even ones that are good and have a real ending are too much effort to re-watch
Hell most I don't finish in the first place because it gets bad, boring or the lead is outed as a sex creep.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What is funny is that the show itself would probably be considered prestige TV, but it deflates itself enough with the animal puns and etc. To avoid the negative implications of the label.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Most prestige television I never feel compelled to watch again. Even ones that are good and have a real ending are too much effort to re-watch
Hell most I don't finish in the first place because it gets bad, boring or the lead is outed as a sex creep.

Well, that's just the American TV model at work. You have a story that's designed to be told for 5 seasons with a satisfying ending, but the executives insist on greenlightning it for an additional 7 seasons past the original story.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Sad, angry white people loving and murdering each other for about 45-50 minutes at a time.

The Wire
The Sopranos
West World
Breaking Bad
Six Feet Under
Dexter

No major characters murder anyone in SFU (though a couple do get murdered. One is in the epilogue/finale).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, that's just the American TV model at work. You have a story that's designed to be told for 5 seasons with a satisfying ending, but the executives insist on greenlightning it for an additional 7 seasons past the original story.
I was thinking the same thing

Older British serialised shows benefited from being shorter, like Pride and Prejudice or the original House of Cards.
I can just imagine an American Pride and Prejudice where each season is 15 episodes long and nothing is resolved because they're hoping to get renewed for season 7

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pride and Prejudice was a miniseries, a different animal. A better example would be Downton Abbey, which was definitely prestige TV (initially), and also a loving terrible show

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

To me, Mad Men is the quintessential Prestige TV, a surprisingly expensive to make show about well-dressed white people being lovely to eachother, perpetually hyped and critically lauded, but not really all that popular or.. good?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mad Men is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen, and also have absolutely zero interest in rewatching.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mad Men owns. Love to watch Dick Whitman never learn anything

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Mad Men is awesome.

White people

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mad Men is complete soap opera tripe for white people who think they're liberal but actually aren't and will be voting conservative in at most 15-20 years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rich and heavy and not particularly rewatchable even if you enjoyed it, is how I'd sum it up. Like I enjoyed Breaking Bad at the time, but I can't imagine going back and seeing Walter White gently caress everything up for no good reason all over again.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Pick posted:

Mad Men is complete soap opera tripe for white people who think they're liberal but actually aren't and will be voting conservative in at most 15-20 years.

It's pretty racist to imply that only white people like good TV

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's pretty racist to imply that only white people like good TV

Mad Men is bad tv for people with an inflated assessment of their intelligence.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

i am the bird posted:

Reviews are out, horsefolks. I wouldn’t recommend reading them if you want to go in fully blind, but there are two concept-y episodes that sound loving amazing, one of which has reviewers saying that Will Arnett should just receive his Emmy right now.

Did not read any reviews, but based on this alone, I am getting pretty hype for this season now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mad men is good for some of the reasons bojack is; watching terrible rich people and hoping that they'll get their poo poo together at some point and learn how to get over their issues and be happy

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
One of the things that I really like about Bojack compared to most prestige tv (Bojack isn't really prestige, but it does resemble it in a lot of ways), is that it doesn't secretly celebrate it's antiheroes horribleness. A lot of prestige tv invites viewers to live vicariously through its antiheroes, and enjoy all the sex and drugs that the characters do, while simultaneously condemning them for it. Not that good tv has to be morality tales, but the two-faced hypocrisy bothers me. In the same way a lot of old slasher flicks would kill the teenage girls who have sex, but still have lots of learing shots of their naked bodies.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bitterandtwisted posted:

Older British serialised shows benefited from being shorter, like Pride and Prejudice or the original House of Cards.

Not just older ones; Peaky Blinders is 6 eps per season and it works. Makes for a nice change of pace, the arc each season is nice and concise, and I didn't really feel like it lost much by being shorter. Maybe one or two characters that could have been developed a little more but that's it.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Killing Eve (British), arguably prestige television, is only 8 episodes and it loving rules.

Patriot is 10 episodes (not British), also loving rules, and would also fit the category but I don't think it counts as prestige if nobody likes or watches it. :smith:

But really, most premium network dramas are basically in the category and almost all of them stick to short seasons.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 7, 2018

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

i am the bird posted:

Patriot is 10 episodes (not British), also loving rules, and would also fit the category but I don't think it counts as prestige if nobody likes or watches it. :smith:

Season two was supposed to come out this year but last I checked it still didn’t even have a date announced. :smith:

Show’s so good y’all should watch it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pick posted:

This take is bad.

Mad Men is excellent, and the characters being barely-political centrists with no convictions is not celebrated at all. The only reason people think it's conservative is because it also portrays white hippies of the period unflatteringly (the ones who actually *did* vote conservative 15 years later.) It doesn't mean "Don Draper is right." He's pretty much never right...none of them are.

Brother Entropy is, though; both Mad Men and BoJack are about psychologically broken characters whose bad behavior is enabled by the toxic and superficial wealth culture surrounding them. You really just want them to stop repeating the same self-destructive cycles that are ruining their lives.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Actual conservatives don’t like Mad Men because (at least at first) it comes across to them like a preachy “oh so the Good Old Days weren’t actually so good because black people had it rough huh :jerkbag:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pick posted:

The West Wing is complete soap opera tripe for white people who think they're liberal but actually aren't and will be voting conservative in at most 15-20 years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How can you not mention Game of Thrones, the prestigeiest prestige tv ever?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I actually tried rewatching West Wing for the first time in a long while earlier this year, and I was just getting angry with like every second episode at what a bunch of gross neoliberals all the characters were and every episode other than that with the gross writing aimed at female characters otherwise, which made it really awkward, and I gave up by like the third season.

I was getting annoyed by at least half of that content even when it was airing live for the first time back when, but I just had no time for its (Aaron Sorkin's? I've never watched any of his other shows) poo poo this time around, even with a Trump in RL's background rather than just Dubya.

Maybe accelerationism really does work.

Also, I have no interest in ever watching a single episode of Mad Men or anything past the pilot episode of Lost that I could barely sit through.

Lost is stupid, and so are its fans.

That is all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Xealot posted:

This take is bad.

Mad Men is excellent, and the characters being barely-political centrists with no convictions is not celebrated at all. The only reason people think it's conservative is because it also portrays white hippies of the period unflatteringly (the ones who actually *did* vote conservative 15 years later.) It doesn't mean "Don Draper is right." He's pretty much never right...none of them are.

Brother Entropy is, though; both Mad Men and BoJack are about psychologically broken characters whose bad behavior is enabled by the toxic and superficial wealth culture surrounding them. You really just want them to stop repeating the same self-destructive cycles that are ruining their lives.

There's a lot of articles online pointing out the similarities between Bojack and Don Draper as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

How can you not mention Game of Thrones, the prestigeiest prestige tv ever?

It's mostly tits and gore and dragons though?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bojack in particular possibly makes some use of the detachment that animation provides; the sex and drugs are shown as gross and pathetic and barely dramatised or eroticised (furries notwithstanding) and Bojack's actions are shown taken to unhealthy extremes. (going after a teenage girl at his lowest point, the daughter of his ex no less, with realistic consequences even if they aren't taken to the point of legal action)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
"Prestige TV" is a term made up by the same kind of people who came up with "Genre books" which is pretty much that the thing they like is better than yours by default.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Carnivale is the definition of prestige TV to me - incredibly expensive to make (everything you see on set is a hunted-down real artifact from the era), God/Devil/Bible metaphors complete with dramatic monologues, dimly shot, almost zero humor.

Deadwood, now, is the most rewatchable prestige show because of how goddamn fun the characters are and how spell-inducing the writing is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought Battlestar Galactica was one of the real defining cases too: kicks off with a six-hour cinematic miniseries that an entire network hangs its destiny on, then somehow retains the same production values week by week while the network implodes under its budget

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm doing my yearly rewatch binge and man, Escape from LA never gets easier. The first time I watched it I just kind of knew where it was going and had this growing sense of dread, and that hasn't gone away.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I said something like this in another thread recently, but Mad Men is right up there with Fight Club and Catcher in the Rye where they're actually good, but if a dude says it's his favorite on his dating profile, do not date that dude.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm doing a rewatch too and i noticed something i missed in the last episode of season 1

the daredevil graping it up!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He don't eat no grapes!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Data Graham posted:

I thought Battlestar Galactica was one of the real defining cases too: kicks off with a six-hour cinematic miniseries that an entire network hangs its destiny on, then somehow retains the same production values week by week while the network implodes under its budget

BSG was more a precursor or ancestor. But it's definitely a harbinger for the direction TV would take, especially the first season.

A lot of TV from that era, while not up to the 'standards' of prestige TV or whatever they call it, were all flirting with the formula to mixed success.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

on a less comical note i forgot beatrice says this in season 2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

on a less comical note i forgot beatrice says this in season 2

That's okay

Beatrice forgot too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm giddy with excitement for the new season, absolutely chomping at the bit for it. Can't wait to laugh myself hoarse, even if it is likely to spur a bout of depression. :smith: