Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In Warhammer 40k part of the story fluff lore is that one time some human faction captured and studied some the Space Orks and when they opened up one of their guns there was nothing inside but like loose screws and tinfoil. It turns out the Orks are extremely powerful psychics and all of their technology and weapons work because they all just believe they work.

Pete is that gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In Warhammer 40k part of the story fluff lore is that one time some human faction captured and studied some the Space Orks and when they opened up one of their guns there was nothing inside but like loose screws and tinfoil. It turns out the Orks are extremely powerful psychics and all of their technology and weapons work because they all just believe they work.

Pete is that gun

Ork fans get really mad when you bring this up, so checks out

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Pete is that gun

:laffo:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Russ clearly doesn’t pay his PR team enough. Those people should all own islands at this point

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ork fans get really mad when you bring this up, so checks out

wtf that's like my single favorite thing about wh40k (as someone who like barely follows it at all).

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

shirts and skins posted:

Considering that there are 7 billion people on Earth and like 20 decent or better NFL quarterbacks, pretty much yeah.

That whole thing made me feel much better about this off-season. The Seahawks may suck this year, but it's pretty clear the foundations of the old squad were rotten and things weren't going to improve. I'm glad they ripped the band-aid off and started to build something new.

Lol at the idea that Russ doesn't work hard at QB though, when the usual sketch of his personality is "Boston Dynamics QB Android".

Agree with this take. The old squad got old and busted. Which is sad because those were some fun squads. RWBS certainly saved the defense on plenty of occasions just like the defense saved RW on several occasions. The whole RW vs Marshawn borderline conspiracy seems so contrived or simply off the mark to me. What superbowl caliber coach is going to earnestly try to funnel the MVP to one player vs another when the game is on the line, especially with the likelihood that bevell called the play anyway and not pete (we all know pete is the defense guy)?

Whether people like it or not RW is definitely the future of the seahawks for the next 5 years at least. If players were not buying into the system/rhetoric then I am happy they are gone so at least there can be more team cohesion and development moving forward. I think over the long run that will translate into a better and winning football team. And of course those players cut loose gonna be mad about it which leads to these hot takes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
On one hand, if there's one guy who probably should get shielded from criticism it should be your top 5 QB. On the other hand lol Russell Wilson is a giant baby.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
His christian childbrain allows him to block out distractions like drugs, gambling, what his wife and Future probably got up to before they met.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

wtf that's like my single favorite thing about wh40k (as someone who like barely follows it at all).

Same, I love that Orks are apparently such powerful latent psychics that their red vehicles actually get an in-game speed bonus because Orks believe that the red ones are faster.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league, secret android or not. Of course we are going to build the team around him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll defend Russell Wilson until I see a video of him open mouth kissing his son.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Peachfart posted:

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league, secret android or not. Of course we are going to build the team around him.

Yea, he’s good. The argument isn’t that he’s not the answer long term, it’s that a team with a top 10 QB and a historically good defensive run could and probably should have more than one super bowl to show for it, and the fact that they don’t is on the coaching staff not managing things better.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
What, the franchise quarterback who we're paying a ton of money to is getting special treatment? why i never.

After reading the article I'm more shocked that Bennett actually understood that and defended Russell, I always thought that Bennett hated him.

Also, Russell was one of the only good players all of last year, if richard is going to call him out he needs to say how poorly he played.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

God drat it's obviously not about Wilson it's about Pete. Of course the team will build around their franchise quarterback, that's what you do. But is Pete the right guy to start that rebuild? Imo no, you've gotten as much from Pete as you're going to.

Also shielding a QB from criticism is loving weak rear end bullshit and bad coaching. I've seen like three different justifications for it on here but really it's not good

Play fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 7, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Also, Wilson is a snitch, no wonder dudes hated him.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
In the article it says that richard wanted to go and confront Russell, not Pete, so it is also about Russell as well

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think there's a difference between "special treatment" and telling your team full of players who don't hold back from criticizing each other and have built a team culture around it to not criticize the new, expensive QB.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, he’s good. The argument isn’t that he’s not the answer long term, it’s that a team with a top 10 QB and a historically good defensive run could and probably should have more than one super bowl to show for it, and the fact that they don’t is on the coaching staff not managing things better.

It is super duper hard for a team to win a superbowl, even if the team is better than their opposition. Football is a high variance sport.

Outside of the Patriots, nobody in the modern NFL really has continued super bowl appearances. And let's not gloss over the fact that the AFC is weak, and the AFC East is comically weak.

The Hawks were one throw away from repeating as Superbowl champs. On a play that the defense had never successfully stopped in practice.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Play posted:

God drat it's obviously not about Wilson it's about Pete. Of course the team will build around their franchise quarterback, that's what you do. But is Pete the right guy to start that rebuild? Imo no, you've gotten as much from Pete as you're going to.

Also shielding a QB from criticism is loving weak rear end bullshit and bad coaching. I've seen like three different justifications for it on here but really it's not good

"Coach who rebuilt a team into a perennial super bowl contender is not the right coach to rebuild this team."

Hmm, yes, yes, you make a good point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically the only thing that is outright wrong with the Seahawks is that they spent the least of any team in the league on OL and got what they paid for.

All this other poo poo is a masterclass in why teams shouldn't leak to the media.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Basically the only thing that is outright wrong with the Seahawks is that they spent the least of any team in the league on OL and got what they paid for.

All this other poo poo is a masterclass in why teams shouldn't talk to the media.

Agreed. If Seattle doesn't trade away Unger and a first for Graham, the team has more success. If Seattle at any point replaced Cable with a decent OL coach, the team has more success.

But they didn't and r.i.p.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i can definitely see why russell would be annoying to team mates he seems really fake and just pushes the "brand", that being said he's a good quarterback and can help you win a game you need to be a professional and do your thing without letting that get to you or making the team toxic

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
It’s also the implication that Russell Wilson essentially demanded the special treatment by tattling on people who were mean to him.

And of course,

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/1038128300609089537

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 7, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

In the article it says that richard wanted to go and confront Russell, not Pete, so it is also about Russell as well

The story is about Russell but the functional question at the heart of the story is about Pete. No one is going to suggest cutting Russ just because he's a snitch and a whiney coward, he's definitely good enough so that's not a question. Pete is the one who allowed all of this to happen.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

"Coach who rebuilt a team into a perennial super bowl contender is not the right coach to rebuild this team."

Hmm, yes, yes, you make a good point.

"If an enormously complex and unlikely thing happens one time, of course it will happen again and only one variable needs to stay the same."

Hmm, yes, yes, you make a good point as well.

Pete is a bad coach who has no respect from veteran players whatsoever and is better suited to coaching in college. He's also a likely chud and a misogynist and he'll be gone within a few years, before the Seahawks sniff the super bowl again. I will never be silenced on this issue, I'm trying to help you guys but you're too homerish to accept it. gently caress Pete Carroll.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Play posted:

The story is about Russell but the functional question at the heart of the story is about Pete. No one is going to suggest cutting Russ just because he's a snitch and a whiney coward, he's definitely good enough so that's not a question. Pete is the one who allowed all of this to happen.

"If an enormously complex and unlikely thing happens one time, of course it will happen again and only one variable needs to stay the same."

Hmm, yes, yes, you make a good point as well. Also, "perennial"? Not so much anymore.

Pete is a bad coach who has no respect from veteran players whatsoever and is better suited to coaching in college. He's also a likely chud and a misogynist and he'll be gone within a few years, before the Seahawks sniff the super bowl again. I will never be silenced on this issue and I'm trying to help you guys but you're too homerish to accept it. gently caress Pete Carroll.

lmfao

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This guy is too corny for me, send me to the team where the MAGA hatted QB keeps kissing his son and coach on the mouth or the one that just won a super bowl with a guy studying to be a pastor at Liberty University

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Intel&Sebastian posted:

His christian childbrain allows him to block out distractions like drugs, gambling, what his wife and Future probably got up to before they met.

Something something 1st Corinthians 13:11

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Play posted:

If a bunch of coaches and FO's cannot do it, then the fact that Pete did do it is support for him. You loving idiot.

What's your strategy, hire somebody who's never achieved success in the NFL because you define success as a fluke?

Play posted:

Pete is a bad coach who has no respect from veteran players whatsoever and is better suited to coaching in college. He's also a likely chud and a misogynist and he'll be gone within a few years, before the Seahawks sniff the super bowl again. I will never be silenced on this issue, I'm trying to help you guys but you're too homerish to accept it. gently caress Pete Carroll.

He's actually a good coach who is excellent at developing defensive talent.

Like what coaches do you think are available that would be an upgrade over him? Pete is clearly in the tier of good coaches that are worse than Bill Belichick but better than almost everyone else.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If a bunch of coaches and FO's cannot do it, then the fact that Pete did do it is support for him. You loving idiot.

What's your strategy, hire somebody who's never achieved success in the NFL because you define success as a fluke?

He's actually a good coach who is excellent at developing defensive talent.

Like what coaches do you think are available that would be an upgrade over him? Pete is clearly in the tier of good coaches that are worse than Bill Belichick but better than almost everyone else.

i dont think you understand, he had jordan peterson speak to the team!!! RIP Seahawks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat that shitpost really brought the homers out of the woodwork lol

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Thread continues to deliver.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Play posted:

I respect a lot of your insights on here and agree that Pete has his problems (gently caress Jordan Peterson), but I think the burden of proof is pretty high on you here if you're going to call him a "bad coach". The dude was just a hair away from his sixth straight double digit win season. How many coaches have managed that, ever? This is a league that still employs Marvin Lewis. Pat Shurmur just got another head coaching job.

Pete may or may not be on the decline but he's by far and away the best coach this team has ever had. I'm gonna need a few years in the wilderness before I'll believe he's done, and even still I'm not gonna call him a "bad coach".

Play posted:

drat that shitpost really brought the homers out of the woodwork lol

Eh, if this is just kekeke level trolling then never mind.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Coldforge posted:

Thread continues to deliver.
Unlike Pete Carroll on the 1 yard line

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

shirts and skins posted:

I respect a lot of your insights on here and agree that Pete has his problems (gently caress Jordan Peterson), but I think the burden of proof is pretty high on you here if you're going to call him a "bad coach". The dude was just a hair away from his sixth straight double digit win season. How many coaches have managed that, ever? This is a league that still employs Marvin Lewis. Pat Shurmur just got another head coaching job.

Pete may or may not be on the decline but he's by far and away the best coach this team has ever had. I'm gonna need a few years in the wilderness before I'll believe he's done, and even still I'm not gonna call him a "bad coach".

Eh, if this is just kekeke level trolling then never mind.

hes is an actual dumbass

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Play posted:

Lol @ this post. Pete is a chud but he is still a decent coach.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The issue is that pete created a double standard. He fostered this hyper-competetive environment in the defense - promoted it, created it, encouraged it - while having a double standard for the offense and especially for the QB. Eventually his excellent defense figured out that he was being a huge hypocrite and he lost their confidence and support.

The fact that this system worked for his defense, and for his QB, isn't really the problem, and he got a superbowl before that crew all recognized and understood the incongruity and inconsistency between what Coach Pete was saying, and what he was actually doing.

I don't have much sympathy for any of these people really. The legion of boom swallowed a bunch of horseshit about how the best man gets the job, always, and about how an NFL team could work, when it was never actually true. If it bolstered their teamwork and confidence for a while, that doesn't really change the fact. And then being huge crybabies all the goddamn time (particularly Sherman) once they understood that Caroll's coachspeak bullshit was just coachspeak bullshit.

Pete Carroll without question has been an excellent coach in several respects; you cannot win a superbowl with an all-around bad coach. But he created a situation in his locker room that was poisonous, and as the poison spread, he didn't do what he needed to do to fix it, and that has undermined everything. That's on him. It was easy to ignore when they were winning, but he shouldn't have.

That said; everyone else in that locker room who imagined that a modern NFL football team could in any way be a pure meritocracy was loving delusional.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Peachfart posted:

Lol @ this post. Pete is a chud but he is still a decent coach.

I'd, reluctantly, agree with this. He has his flaws as a human being and is probably being aged out as a coach, but he's still at least a decent one.

And Leperfish loving nailed it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

Pete Carroll without question has been an excellent coach in several respects; you cannot win a superbowl with an all-around bad coach.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Coaches tend to decline in ability because of the simple fact that they work inhuman hours. It's very rarely sustainable for years on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Just imagine thinking Jordan Peterson could teach anything to a room of world class athletes who have sacrificed their bodies and dedicated their lives to the perfection of their craft.